• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official U.S. Playstation Magazine - December 2006

sangreal

PS3
Resistance: Fall of Man - 9

PS2
Guitar Hero II - 10
Bully - 9
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - 7.5
Need for Speed Carbon - 7.5
WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2007 - 7
Guitar Mania Freedom V Wireless Guitar Controller - 7
Destroy All Humans 2: Make War Not Love - 7
.Hack//G.U. Vol. 1//Rebirth - 7
Justice League Heroes - 6.5
NBA Live 07 - 5
Tales of the Abyss - 5
Mortal Kombat - 3

PSP
Gunpey - 8
Guilty Gear Judgment - 8
Medal of Honor Heroes - 8
Power Stone Collection - 7.5
Gitaroo Man Lives! - 7
Lumines II - 6
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - 6
Death, Jr. 2: Root of Evil - 6
WTF: Work Time Fun - 4
Dynasty Warriors Vol. 2 - 4

My apologies for any mistakes

sangreal

Bud said:
R:FOM was expected.

Did they already review GTA:VCS?

Nope

nataku said:
What did they say about Resistance?

A lot (I have not read the review yet) :)

There is also an interview with Ted Price that discusses 1080p, the 360, PS3 bad press and transitioning from PS2 to PS3 development

the year 20XX said:
Guitar Hero II 10

Holy shit! Go go go Harmonix!

There is also a track list for this game in the magazine, but I don't know if that is new info

Razoric

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Oh I'm sure, it looks like crap to me. The oops! was aimed at the developers.

Yeah I was just adding to your oops.

Next time spend more time on gameplay, fatalities and porting to 360 and less time on single player mode and mk kart.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yeah resistance is expected, I wouldnt expect anything less than 8's across the board for that game.

Bummer they didnt review killzone:liberation.

sangreal said:
A lot (I have not read the review yet) :)

There is also an interview with Ted Price that discusses 1080p, the 360, PS3 bad press and transitioning from PS2 to PS3 development

There is also a track list for this game in the magazine, but I don't know if that is new info
Thats interesting, hope to read about that stuff soon. :)
Thanks sangreal.

Reilly

How does Guitar Hero 2 get a 10? It's basically the same as the first one with different songs and a practice mode that should have already been there.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
cw_sasuke said:
lol...wtf?
I think im more interested about the lumines2 score. I mean it may not add much for lumines compared to the last one, but for somebody whos never played it, it should be a sweet game still. or no?

mikeGFG

Banned
I know EGM has Halo 3, but I seriously cannot wait for the next OPM. They always have the best features, interviews and layouts around.

And for some reason, I always have to read John Davison's monthly rantings.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Reilly said:
How does Guitar Hero 2 get a 10? It's basically the same as the first one with different songs and a practice mode that should have already been there.
Because they couldn't find anything wrong with it?

MoxManiac

Vyse The Legend said:
I thought Tales of the Abyss was supposed to be good? Ewww.
Also, Powerstone Collection was scored too high. The port is atrocious.

You'd take OPM's opinion over ours? (Collective GAF, I haven't played Abyss myself)

Matix

sangreal said:
PS3
Resistance: Fall of Man - 9

PS2
Guitar Hero II - 10
Bully - 9
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - 7.5
Need for Speed Carbon - 7.5
WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2007 - 7
Guitar Mania Freedom V Wireless Guitar Controller - 7
Destroy All Humans 2: Make War Not Love - 7
.Hack//G.U. Vol. 1//Rebirth - 7
Justice League Heroes - 6.5
NBA Live 07 - 5
Tales of the Abyss - 5
Mortal Kombat - 3

PSP
Gunpey - 8
Guilty Gear Judgment - 8
Medal of Honor Heroes - 8
Power Stone Collection - 7.5
Gitaroo Man Lives! - 7
Lumines II - 6
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - 6

Death, Jr. 2: Root of Evil - 6
WTF: Work Time Fun - 4
Dynasty Warriors Vol. 2 - 4

My apologies for any mistakes

Uh..

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Bad_Boy said:
I think im more interested about the lumines2 score. I mean it may not add much for lumines compared to the last one, but for somebody whos never played it, it should be a sweet game still. or no?
Unless the original Lumines is difficult to find (which it isn't), I don't think there's any reason to rate the game higher, if it doesn't add much and people who never played it can just go out and get the original for less.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
**** you next-gen, Guitar Hero II is coming!!! :D :D :D
(Yes, I know there's a 360 version coming as well...LATER ON ;))

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Bad_Boy said:

100 skins isn't much? We don't need anything new gameplay wise for Lumines, we just want more skins. A lot of the 100 skins must be really bad if it got a 6.

SnowWolf said:
100 skins isn't much? We don't need anything new gameplay wise for Lumines, we just want more skins. A lot of the 100 skins must be really bad if it got a 6.

Well if that's all you need you'll probably be happy with it. From the start its sounded like a repackaging of the original but with a bunch of new songs.

sangreal

Bad_Boy said:

They recommend it for people who don't own the original and like more mainstream music

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
kaching said:
Unless the original Lumines is difficult to find (which it isn't), I don't think there's any reason to rate the game higher, if it doesn't add much and people who never played it can just go out and get the original for less.
good point I guess. the 6 just makes it seem like a bad game to me I guess, when its really just not a "new" game. do re-released classic games that are just direct ports ever get rated less than they were orginally?
sangreal said:
They recommend it for people who don't own the original or like more mainstream music
ah ok, thanks.

MoxManiac

Bad_Boy said:
good point I guess. the 6 just makes it seem like a bad game to me I guess, when its really just not a "new" game. do re-released classic games that are just direct ports ever get rated less than they were orginally?

ah ok, thanks.

Yeah, quite often, I think. Reviewers sometimes get pissy about ports/re-releases.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
MoxManiac said:
Yeah, quite often, I think. Reviewers sometimes get pissy about ports/re-releases.
Ah, unfortunate then. Anyways, sorry to kinda derail the thread about lumines, bring on the Resistance news, what else did they say? :)

Reilly said:
Played Co-Op in the demo. Not so fun for me.

Hence why reviews are subjective. :D

Anyway, I just read the "review" (and I use that term rather loosely) of Tales of the Abyss. First of all, it's only about 300 words long. Three paragraphs are about how the beginning of the game is super cliche and the main character is a "metrosexual amnesiac." Then, there is a short blurb about how the story picks up after 10 hours, but the graphics are ugly, the framerate on the world map is choppy, the music is uninspired, and the combat system is too frenzied to allow for real tactics.

sangreal

Bad_Boy said:
Ah, unfortunate then. Anyways, sorry to kinda derail the thread about lumines, bring on the Resistance news, what else did they say? :)

I don't really know what to say about it. They say it took about 12 hours to complete but they found significant replay value (in the form of additional weapons and completing the story). They said they had minor complaints, mostly with the thin story and lack of online co-op. Also, they found the enemy variety lacking (there is a large variety of enemies, but you mostly encounter minor variations of the same enemy). Other than that, the review is really positive as the reviewer walks you threw a few minutes of the game. The reviewer says he was most impressed by the game's "very topmost level design. I'm talking about basic pacing, balance, sound design--that sort of thing."

One thing I hadn't heard about before:
"Beyond this, though, is the game's website, which features an extensive timeline of events leading up to the game. And furthermore, the game itself will offer clues that can be used to explore the website more thoroughly. It's an interesting experiment, employing an element of the alternate-reality game (like the I Love Bees ARG designed to promote Halo 2) to make sense of the main story of the game itself."

Top Bottom