• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog changes their tune on Uncharted 3's Season Pass, upcoming DLC costs extra

Card Boy

Banned
btw. REwrite is still hating on UC3. oh wait its the same old trolls from the UC3 thread.

/snore.

arne made his point and he's right. so yeah.

:lol You're such an apologist. Always has been and always will be. It's not even worth arguing with you. You're not worth my time.

cedb5699_Popcorn.gif

gioGAF

This is really unfortunate, everyone I know thought the Fortune Hunter Club for Uncharted was something like a Call of Duty Elite deal. Turns out it isn't and now there is more paying to be done. I wonder if I will be getting a message from CoD Elite telling me that I have been cut-off any time soon.

Most of my trophy hunting friends are also pretty upset about this. They don't have fond memories from Uncharted 2, which included quite a bit of UNFUN GRINDING. I'm not going to pass judgement just yet, since I haven't seen the new trophy requirements and I also don't know if Naughty Dog will do something like what Killzone 3 did with their multiplayer component, SEPARATE TROPHY SET!!

I enjoy Uncharted the Single Player experience very much and I always buy the games new at launch. I only dabble in the multiplayer for Uncharted, but it is really not my thing. I very much hate grinding multiplayer trophies for a multiplayer component that I'm only casually interested in. Since the DLC nickel and dime scheme seems to have become the norm for Naughty Dog as well, I will probably not buy their games at launch either and will wait for a complete edition of some kind much like I do with any Bethesda or Rockstar game.

I'm hardly praising ND's handling of their DLC. I've lost interest but I can be objective about what ND is doing here. I didn't get the FHC for a reason.

rewrite's mappack policy; which isn't even saying anything new really... well; why don't you start a thread because LOTS of games sell mappacks. and yup, that fragmentation issue is also there. Its not like he's making genius points about MP games in general.

I'm hardly praising ND's handling of their DLC. I've lost interest but I can be objective about what ND is doing here. I didn't get the FHC for a reason.

rewrite's mappack policy; which isn't even saying anything new really... well; why don't you start a thread because LOTS of games sell mappacks. and yup, that fragmentation issue is also there. Its not like he's making genius points about MP games in general.

Well, I agree on the fact that offering for free is not beneficial for ND because all those MBs of download would have to be paid... and if it's free, it's just a loss of money. However, lowering the price would be something sensible. Anyways, it feels (it's a feeling I have) that they gave us the exact value of the FHC, not the 45% or 60% discount (I still need to see anyone detail the 14 packs to see what the hell i missed, because i have 13 and they don't feel like 13... KZ headgear... okay). I mean, these packs feel like 50% of what they should be on many occasions, so at the end it's like they wanted to make packs that were too expensive for what they were so the FHC would look fair.

Abylim

Just read this thread. I can understand people being upset about the vague posts, but Arne has apologized, admitted they dun goofed on the wording, and argued his case.

I think its wrong when only reading certain posts, and I feel bad for those who bought FHC thinking all DLC ever was inclusive, but hes tried to clarify.

No offense to any dev who uses them, but I never buy season passes. Like what some have said here, I just dont shell out cash for unknown products.
Sucks for ND, but I'm sure a lot of folks will steer clear of vague season passes.
It rubs me the wrong way, too. Seems like most of this only happened because ND wanted to release more DLC for the game. Which should be a good thing, but it seems to have made everything worse.

Frustrating situation =\

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm sure they will spin it somehow(or not give a shit) but god I can never trust another word Naughty Dog says.

You shouldn't have believed their lies after the "do you want hardcore settings in all game modes? (Community: NO!) LOL OKAY! *patch!*" Patch 1.05 game-ruining patch in U2, dude.

I'm so glad I didn't buy any DLC for U3. I'll wait until they make it free like they did U2's DLC for me to get into the multiplayer, no sooner.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
arne, how can you guys not have known what tapantaola posted about the DLC issues? There's been a thread in your forum for weeks talking about it. You guys like to say you read your own forum, but sometimes I seriously doubt you do or else this would have been fixed a long time ago. You guys NEED to read what the community is talking about, not just have a monthly Q&A thread where you'll only answer the easy questions and avoid the meatier ones. Not only that, but remember the issues when Flashback #2 came out? Nobody could PLAY on those maps for weeks. You can play on them now once in a while, but now Flashback #1 maps never appear. It's such a mess.

In an ideal world, you would make the DLC maps free and charge people for customization and skins. You won't fragment the player pool, and you'll make money off people wanting new customization items/skins. Believe me, people will eat it up. It's a win-win for everyone.

The FHC was never worth it and I say this as a hardcore MP player. The value in it was a joke and we got worse looking character models from Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 2 maps I had played for over 2 years with worse aesthetics.

Nobody is reading their own forum. Nobody. It's a place where developers can just point and laugh at, while occasionally putting placeholder stuffs like "Thank you for your support!" or "We're listening to you!" but no one actually does that.

i dislike this thread very much ..Yes , i was disapointed by the fortune hunter pack ..
but ND never changed their tune (at least they were pretty clear when people ( including me ) asked questions )

i won't hold a gruge over this issue of packs ..the moral of this story is that we should have a better description of the fortune hunter pack from the start that's it ... but all of those who came at ND as if they "changed" their tune are pretty irresponsable IMO.

My 2 cents.

i recall someone fro ND on the PSblog stating this situation numerous times.. so i was aware of this ..i don't ever see why this needs a thread...

Not to mention that with all that cash they didn't even try to implement anything the community was asking for, like character customization (hell, just colors).
And just how the hell do you know they haven't even tried ? It might not be coming for a lot of reasons you're not aware of

hao chi

That's why you don't buy stuff sight unseen.

If they're content charging money for it, they need to outline exactly what is included.

For the most part they did. It was pretty shitty how they said there would be four map packs, then decided to call one Co-op Adventure map a 'map pack', but there's no reason to think the FHC was going to include newer DLC's.

And just how the hell do you know they haven't even tried ? It might not be coming for a lot of reasons you're not aware of

Because back on the beta I could glitch colors from equipment, like turning my shirt orange because another item was orange. It's simply a piece of clothing that gets multiplied by a RGB value (i first saw this kind of customization in jedi academy) which got coded in a tiny selection of colors that many times don't do the item justice at all.

If I have to pay DLC to customize RGB colors i'll get pretty mad.

Because back on the beta I could glitch colors from equipment, like turning my shirt orange because another item was orange. It's simply a piece of clothing that gets multiplied by a RGB value (i first saw this kind of customization in jedi academy) which got coded in a tiny selection of colors that many times don't do the item justice at all.

If I have to pay DLC to customize RGB colors i'll get pretty mad.

First i was in the beta too .. So instead of saying that there was a technical reason why this wasn't possible ( or a gameplay decision ) some things were removed , you just assume their were lazy ?or worse that they intend to make you pay for it ?

Curse them for having a beta and making changes based on what works, or what make bugs or not ...

I dunno maybe your glitch when applied to further elements of the character model , glitched more than one piece of equipment ? Or something else ?

Your reasonning that it's easy because it existed as a bug before don't work , especially when you're making a multiplayer game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Well, if he didn't know, now he will. Eric ND posted in the Q&A thread that new colors won't be available for pre-existing items, only new ones. We don't know if the new items will be available for DLC (I really think they will be), or will be given away free in which you'll have to unlock them via treasures.

His reasoning?

Heroes have lighter tone in colors while villains have darker ones so that there's no confusion between the two when you're playing online, completely disregarding that the player arrow name will always tell you whether or not you are facing an opponent depending on the color (red for enemy, green for your team).

Yes. You read correctly.

Your reasonning that it's easy because it existed as a bug before don't work , especially when you're making a multiplayer game.
Not only were you able to have a variety of colors in the beta that were not BROWN, BROWN, BROWN, GREEN, GREEN, BLUE...but the "glitch" you two are talking about is still present. Late joining a co-op adventure session will grant you different color palettes that aren't available for selection.

Nobody is reading their own forum. Nobody. It's a place where developers can just point and laugh at, while occasionally putting placeholder stuffs like "Thank you for your support!" or "We're listening to you!" but no one actually does that.
They only read it when they are being called out or have new info coming up. Hence arne's quick appearance in this thread and Eric's involvement today due to the Q&A thread. A shame, because they should have people glancing over them to check up on problems. The DLC fix wouldn't have been made today if tapantaola hadn't pointed it out...which is ridiculous.

First i was in the beta too .. So instead of saying that there was a technical reason why this wasn't possible ( or a gameplay decision ) some things were removed , you just assume their were lazy ?or worse that they intend to make you pay for it ?

Curse them for having a beta and making changes based on what works, or what make bugs or not ...

I dunno maybe your glitch when applied to further elements of the character model , glitched more than one piece of equipment ? Or something else ?

It was a bug from changing between two pieces of equipment. The only thing it did was to keep the RGB value for the other piece of clothing. Not having that kind of customization is lazy. The only downside of the customization is that when the color reaches 0 0 0 it's pitch black and looks bad. Easily solved by placing all the colors at a 33 minimum value. It could have been done very easy... I kid you not. However they seem to be addressing this now. I'll just wait and see what happens.

LOL at villains darker colors. In like flynn.

And thanks for the Q&A... im so out of U3 since FHC ended. I was like... well, that's that. And I stopped putting the game that did not exit my tray in 3 months inside the console again.

i dislike this thread very much ..Yes , i was disapointed by the fortune hunter pack ..
but ND never changed their tune (at least they were pretty clear when people ( including me ) asked questions )

i won't hold a gruge over this issue of packs ..the moral of this story is that we should have a better description of the fortune hunter pack from the start that's it ... but all of those who came at ND as if they "changed" their tune are pretty irresponsable IMO.

My 2 cents.

i recall someone fro ND on the PSblog stating this situation numerous times.. so i was aware of this ..i don't ever see why this needs a thread...

PLEASE STOP BEING MEAN TO MY FAVOURITE COMPANY

Arya Stark

Neo Member
arne, how can you guys not have known what tapantaola posted about the DLC issues? There's been a thread in your forum for weeks talking about it. You guys like to say you read your own forum, but sometimes I seriously doubt you do or else this would have been fixed a long time ago. You guys NEED to read what the community is talking about, not just have a monthly Q&A thread where you'll only answer the easy questions and avoid the meatier ones. Not only that, but remember the issues when Flashback #2 came out? Nobody could PLAY on those maps for weeks. You can play on them now once in a while, but now Flashback #1 maps never appear. It's such a mess.

In an ideal world, you would make the DLC maps free and charge people for customization and skins. You won't fragment the player pool, and you'll make money off people wanting new customization items/skins. Believe me, people will eat it up. It's a win-win for everyone.

The FHC was never worth it and I say this as a hardcore MP player. The value in it was a joke and we got worse looking character models from Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 2 maps I had played for over 2 years with worse aesthetics.

Wow, well said brother! Naughty Dog is looking pretty disgusting right now.

PLEASE STOP BEING MEAN TO MY FAVOURITE COMPANY
facepalm.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Not only were you able to have a variety of colors in the beta that were not BROWN, BROWN, BROWN, GREEN, GREEN, BLUE...but the "glitch" you two are talking about is still present. Late joining a co-op adventure session will grant you different color palettes that aren't available for selection.

I consider this a glitch , not a removed feature.. the fact that it's a glitch just means that it wasn't lazy or easy to do it.

It was a bug from changing between two pieces of equipment. The only thing it did was to keep the RGB value for the other piece of clothing. Not having that kind of customization is lazy. The only downside of the customization is that when the color reaches 0 0 0 it's pitch black and looks bad. Easily solved by placing all the colors at a 33 minimum value. It could have been done very easy... I kid you not. However they seem to be addressing this now. I'll just wait and see what happens.

LOL at villains darker colors. In like flynn.

Except that glitches exist ..
I guess that they should have made this a feature based on something that could glitch and provide it to the community , then ..
And then people could cry in anger that it doesn't work properly ...
yep that would have been a better plan

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
But by that glitch existing, it shows that its possible to have different color palettes available for existing items. And you can select what color they will be depending on the color of the skin you have prior to late joining, so it's not like they are random colors every time.

Not adding new colors to pre-existing items is completely dumb and the reasoning is even stupider.

Jaroof

I loved Uncharted 2's MP more than any other MP I had played before..
When I had heard there was going to be a season pass for U3 MP, I figured I might as well get it..
In the end, I was also disappointed in the content.. but then again, I didn't like the UC3 MP nearly as much as its predecessor's.

I gotta give it to Arne, though.. I don't know how the rest of ND is, but I love that he actually takes the time to come in and respond to people's problems like this on GAF; He's a great representative for ND.
Though it doesn't necessarily fix everything, it's great that he came in and tried to talk to everyone.

facepalm.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

I consider this a glitch , not a removed feature.. the fact that it's a glitch just means that it wasn't lazy or easy to do it.

Except that glitches exist ..
I guess that they should have made something based on something that could glitch and provide it to the community ..

Well, the only part that is a glitch about it is that the item instead of having the preset ugly color that ND chose... like for example: R: 100 G: 70 B: 70, which gives you a crap (literally) colored shirt that I have never seen anyone using (not the shirt, the color), I got this R:255 G:255 B:0 fashionable bright orange shirt that made me stand out.

The only thing that makes it a glitch is... "not according to keikaku".

It felt extremely lazy

http://community.us.playstation.com...3/m-p/36911013/message-uid/36911013#U36911013

But by that glitch existing, it shows that its possible to have different color palettes available for existing items. And you can select what color they will be depending on the color of the skin you have prior to late joining, so it's not like they are random colors every time.

i agree

i was there when the possibility of colors & customisation were discussed on the U3 thread.
The problem isn't that it's possible .. the problem is that it's a bug ..exploiting a bug to create a feature ( when not originaly planned ) isn't that easy ... , especially if you wish to make it work properly ..

i refuse to believe that making a toggle to adjust RBG values is that hard either , but if you have glitches thrown into the mix , you can't make that a feature ( for everyone ) easily ..

^^ and that above is my point.

We don't know yet what's trully coming , so maybe they found a satisfying way to implementing this ( in their eyes ) ..but having listened and followed ND as they are talktative develloppers , when something is easy to implement , they do it ..

Also my first sentence on this subject was also on this particular point

Holy shit you destroyed me. Please stop while I have dignity.
Why are you trying so hard to add something conclusive to the discussion ?

For example, one thing I forgive ND is the exclusion of opening and closing cinematics for MP matches. I think that MAY have been technical. Although my instinct says:

*ND office*

Hey guys, what happens when we do the DLC FHC maps, what kind of opening and closing sequences will we do?

*two co-workers responsible of the mocap and implementation of those features stare at eachother*

-cinematics deleted due to technical issues.

i think i might remember wrong , ( so someone please confirm. Ex: rewrite )

but haven't said that they removed them to speed up the matches ?

or i am remembering wrong ?

from what i remember this was a gameplay issue, not technical..

I don't see how barely 10 seconds of events are a problem speed-wise, but that change alone took a good chunk of the charm of U3 multiplayer.

web01

Did anyone really expect them to handle U3 multiplayer well after what happened in uncharted 2? You could rarely find a DLC games on that game even.

So happy I didn't bother with the multiplayer in U3 from what I played at launch it was even worse than U2 both pre and post 1.05. Then they pulled the DLC season pass scam. Sold you reskinned U2 maps. Then they turned your full price game into a item cash shop and paid multiplayer game mode rort. I also know people who cannot even connect to the online due to a glitch that manifests itself randomly and cannot be fixed once it occurs, the same glitch was in U2 and its still in U3. What a joke of a company.

test_account

XP-39C²
Did anyone really expect them to handle U3 multiplayer well after what happened in uncharted 2? You could rarely find a DLC games on that game even.

So happy I didn't bother with the multiplayer in U3 from what I played at launch it was even worse than U2 both pre and post 1.05. Then they pulled the DLC season pass scam. Sold you reskinned U2 maps. Then they turned your full price game into a item cash shop and paid multiplayer game mode rort. I also know people who cannot even connect to the online due to a glitch that manifests itself randomly and cannot be fixed once it occurs, the same glitch was in U2 and its still in U3. What a joke of a company.
Any info on this glitch? First time i've heard of it. And cannot be fixed, is it embedded into the savegames? Otherwise it would just be to delete the installed data/patches and reinstall them.

How is my full priced game turned into a cash shop? I know about the free online stuff, but how does it it affect my UC3 copy that i bought at launch? The DLC season pass also included new stuff, didnt it?

Chris_C

Jesus.

I can't believe you raised this thread from the dead over a community manager asking what the community wants.

Well, this is not absolute confirmation. He just sounds like he's throwing ideas around with those comments.
This is probably an indirect way* to confirm the imminent season pass.

* An example:

http://www.premiergamingnetwork.com...lay-announcement-soon-qa-hints-and-lab-update

"Q: "Will you give us the option to install Multiplayer to hard disk?"

A: Hmmm, Good idea. Ask again in a couple of weeks."

^ He basically confirmed F2P in an indirect way.

I hope I'm wrong though, but what if I'm not?

AKyemeni

This is probably an indirect way* to confirm the imminent season pass.

* An example:

http://www.premiergamingnetwork.com...lay-announcement-soon-qa-hints-and-lab-update

"Q: "Will you give us the option to install Multiplayer to hard disk?"

A: Hmmm, Good idea. Ask again in a couple of weeks."

^ He basically confirmed F2P in an indirect way.

I hope I'm wrong though, but what if I'm not?

Then, I'd buy the season pass. TLOU will be my Go To multiplayer. I can't just play UC3 all the time.

Top Bottom