• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony adds PayPal as a payment method for PSN

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
don't you have to change your billing address to buy them, though? Guess I could create a second account. I remember reading you could do the same on bestbuy.com
Just add a second address to your amazon.com account and use that address for digital purchases.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
don't you have to change your billing address to buy them, though? Guess I could create a second account. I remember reading you could do the same on bestbuy.com
You can just add another billing address to your Amazon account (which you can log in on any other Amazon store.)

And you're currently on vacation in a hotel in Massachusetts which coincidentally has no sales tax on Amazon. I know I am.

Otacon

Germany: No
US: No
UK: Yes
Japan: No

at least so far
I guess it should work for everyone/country by the end of the week.
If so, PSN ist just getting better and better 2012 thanks to PS+ and now PayPal.
I fear a lot more impulse purchases if I don't have to get cards/codes for the different regions first. Dx

TimmiT

I can confirm that Paypal and iDEAL as well appear on my Dutch account:
i8UODRSGDbgnQ.png

KurowaSan

You can just add another billing address to your Amazon account (which you can log in on any other Amazon store.)

And you're currently on vacation in a hotel in Massachusetts which coincidentally has no sales tax on Amazon. I know I am.

hmm interesting, I guess I could go there, I heard the weather is nice...

Was the new PS Store coming out tomorrow in EU? I heard some say Oct 17 so this could mean paypal will be a new method in the new store since it seems to work in EU now and not in the rest of the world. US is getting the new store next week on the 23rd.

Awesome, guess I will finally pickup Journey and Sound Shapes. My credit card expired months ago and I cannot be arsed either renewing it or buying a pre-paid card from online.

Shahed

Was the new PS Store coming out tomorrow in EU? I heard some say Oct 17 so this could mean paypal will be a new method in the new store since it seems to work in EU now and not in the rest of the world. US is getting the new store next week on the 23rd.

Yep. Tomorrow for the EU.

So far we know that UK, Spain, Belgium, Italy and Holland have it? But Germany and Norway don't

Shai-Tan

Banned
I got a little excited about this until it dawned on me that they probably have the region restrictions turned on. My PSN account is US but I live in Canada now so I end up buying PSN cards online to get games on my Vita. I'm guessing my Canadian Paypal account (which has thousands of dollars in it) will be blocked from buying on a US PSN :/ (all assuming SCEA follows SCEE). I can't really use my credit cards for buying stuff like this because (a) they are all nearly full paying for business expenses (b) I need room on them to pay some bills when there isn't room in direct deposit from my bank account (c) The only one I really want to use on PSN doesn't work thanks to the terrible Sony address verification

Is it possible youth protection laws prevent PayPal in Germany? PSN cards can't be sold to minors after all and I'm not sure if PayPal has any sort of age restriction.

StuBurns

Banned
So, I might have missed it, and I asked in the other thread, but does this mean I can paypal money straight to my other accounts? No need to import vouchers or whatever?

Would it be possible to add paypal funds to my US account aswel or is this a 1psn/1paypal thing?

edit: same question as above lol

Here is a list with countries where Paypal is available:

http://en.support.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2949/kw/paypal

Austria
Luxembourg
Belgium
Netherlands
Finland
Portugal
France
Slovenia
Greece
Spain
Ireland
United Kingdom
Italy

Please note that your PayPal™ account must be registered in the same country as your Sony Entertainment Network account. For example, if your Sony Entertainment Network account was set up in France, you will only be able to use PayPal™ if your PayPal™ account billing address is also in France.

Lusankya

Is it possible youth protection laws prevent PayPal in Germany? PSN cards can't be sold to minors after all and I'm not sure if PayPal has any sort of age restriction.

No, youth protection laws don't prevent PayPal in Germany. Of course this also means minors can easily buy PSN cards here e.g. via ebay.

So, I might have missed it, and I asked in the other thread, but does this mean I can paypal money straight to my other accounts? No need to import vouchers or whatever?

Pretty sure you can. This puts money on your wallet like an online purchase using paypal.

*edit* Scratch that:

"Please note that your PayPal™ account must be registered in the same country as your Sony Entertainment Network account. For example, if your Sony Entertainment Network account was set up in France, you will only be able to use PayPal™ if your PayPal™ account billing address is also in France."

StuBurns

Banned
Pretty sure you can. This puts money on your wallet like an online purchase using paypal.

*edit* Scratch that:

"Please note that your PayPal™ account must be registered in the same country as your Sony Entertainment Network account. For example, if your Sony Entertainment Network account was set up in France, you will only be able to use PayPal™ if your PayPal™ account billing address is also in France."
So, utterly worthless for me, cool.

*edit* Scratch that:

So this changes nothing to us international users... well that sucks, I got excited there for a second.

No, youth protection laws don't prevent PayPal in Germany. Of course this also means minors can easily buy PSN cards here e.g. via ebay.

Which is definitely breaking the law, but that's a different story because most eBay sellers are either in Hong Kong or simply don't care (and risk a warning).
On PSN it would be Sony who are giving minors access to mature content and they seem to be very anal about that. (as opposed to Microsoft)

Lusankya

Which is definitely breaking the law, but that's a different story because most eBay sellers are either in Hong Kong or simply don't care (and risk a warning).
On PSN it would be Sony who are giving minors access to mature content and they seem to be very anal about that. (as opposed to Microsoft)
I wish they would be more anal about that. E.g. with an age verfication system they could easily sell indexed games in Germany. But well, most sellers are to stupid to realize that (I blame Amazon.de and Steam).

denshuu

Would be kind of useful if I could use PayPal, but I haven't been able to log into that account for about 6 years now. They keep sending me emails every few months though. Yes, I know the account's still locked after the complaint I filed. Yeah, I'm sure you guys are still hard at work investigating the account.

Then again, I never really needed another middleman between myself and my debit card. I think I only ever opened the account because I needed to impulse buy something on Ebay. I have no idea why people still use that shit.

StuBurns

Banned
Why, Cant you change your address (to a fake US) ?
Presumably Paypal won't let you change your address to somewhere that's not aligned with your bank account it's linked to, and even if it is, I use my Paypal all the time, if changing it broke some other site, it'd just be a huge hassle.

I was hoping Sony would just let you do this from any country, I don't really see why they wouldn't.

Please note that your PayPal™ account must be registered in the same country as your Sony Entertainment Network account. For example, if your Sony Entertainment Network account was set up in France, you will only be able to use PayPal™ if your PayPal™ account billing address is also in France.

Ugh this sucks. for a second i am hoping this could made buying stuff on JP PSN easier without PSN card:(

I wish they would be more anal about that. E.g. with an age verfication system they could easily sell indexed games in Germany. But well, most sellers are to stupid to realize that (I blame Amazon.de and Steam).

It's very intricate and inconvenient to come up with an age verification method that satisfies German law, sadly.

Carl

Gemüsepizza;43258208 said:
You probably still need a credit card for using Music Unlimited. Whoever is responsible for this should be fired.

Music Unlimited just uses funds from your SEN wallet, so i don't see where you get that idea.

Lusankya

It's very intricate and inconvenient to come up with an age verification method that satisfies German law, sadly.

Haha, I guess so. The youth protection law really is too strict.
But if they wanted they could use e.g. the new personal ids or postident. Especially amazon needs to get rid of the stupid "please pay an extra 5€ everytime you order an article rated ages 18 and up"...

Well, it's kinda off-topic, but I could rage about stupid German youth protection laws and how companies misunderstand them for hours.

Top Bottom