• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With SB holding so many cards close to their chest, I have to think that the depth of the challenge trials, the unlockables, and the modes will at least be a nice enough surprise to most reviewers that it warrants a good enough score.

What I find lacking in previews is an understanding and an appreciation for the meta-game, and I just hope the tutorials are deep enough (and mandatory, even-- or at least launched into when you load the game for the first time) so that people get the concept.

TheMink

Hey just wanted to let everybody know i got BruceLeeRoy to help me with all the art.

Im fairly confident he will come through, but its just a word contract right now so you guys who were wanting to a couple peices of art still do those in case something awful happens and ill least have some stuff.

Zekes!

I spent a bit of time with this the other day and today, played all the characters and a bunch of matches so I guess here are my impressions?

Kind of right away I'm turned off by the presentation and the menu music. Comes off as uninspired and almost amateur in a way.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the three attack buttons (like in other fighters there's light, medium, heavy, etc); if there are differences, it doesn't seem apparent, and despite trying to learn the moves for the characters I found myself kind of just mashing most of the time. Regardless, being only able to score KOs with supers made it feel like I wasn't really "achieving" anything with normal attacks; yeah it builds up your meter, but it doesn't feel at all satisfying, so people are flying around and it feels hectic for no real reason. Even scoring KOs with supers doesn't feel that satisfying, like it's missing some kind of "oomph". Items were uninteresting, as were stages and music as well.

I guess I used the word "feels" quite a bit, but that's no doubt the source of my issues: it just doesn't feel very good to play. Maybe in the final retail version there will be modes that I'd find fun and interesting, but presented as is, I'm just not in to it.

SmithnCo

I think 1vs2 would put the advantage in the 1 persons spot actually. More guys to hit = faster meter build up and more guys to kill. 2 people fighting over 1 guy to build up their meter would be annoying.

Hm. That is interesting. I still think the advantage would be to the team of 2, because you could have a ranged opponent pecking you and avoiding while the other tries to gain your attention. Plus, wombo combos.

However, there'd be more kill potential per super on the 1 side because there are two targets whereas the others would have to wait for spawn in order to get 2 kills off. So it kinda balances out a little.

plainr_

Hey just wanted to let everybody know i got BruceLeeRoy to help me with all the art.

Im fairly confident he will come through, but its just a word contract right now so you guys who were wanting to a couple peices of art still do those in case something awful happens and ill least have some stuff.

Hey Mink check your pm's. I want to help you out a bit too. :)

SSReborn

So All Stars is going to be at MLG's Fall Championship on the 2nd where they will be having a tournament for $5000 hopefully some good videos come out of that.

Good news for those late to the beta:

https://twitter.com/sethkillian/status/263734729658994688

Maybe someone can quote the text directly, im on my phone at work.

Awesome, pretty exciting stuff. Got to play it a bit during my lunch break at work.

Also, as other people have posted hopeful comments about a substantial amount of content in the game - I'll be happy if there is but there's no way the content will live up to our expectations. IMO that is the very reason why Superbot is keeping their cards so closely to their chest.. because there isn't a substantial amount. Idk, I hope to be proven wrong.

Awesome, pretty exciting stuff. Got to play it a bit during my lunch break at work.

Also, as other people have posted hopeful comments about a substantial amount of content in the game - I'll be happy if there is but there's no way the content will live up to our expectations. IMO that is the very reason why Superbot is keeping their cards so closely to their chest.. because there isn't a substantial amount. Idk, I hope to be proven wrong.

20 seperate arcade stories, unique to character challenges, customizations through unlocks, custom game modes, stock mode, kill limit, and online are all enough content for me. Anything else is icing on the cake.

I see a lot of '6's for this game sadly...mainly cuz I expect most of the people who get to review this will big smash fans. I don't expect much in the way of objectivity.

IF this gets a meta of over 80..I would be surprised AND very happy
Well I dunno about the score but I expect a lot of:

"this is a shameless Smash rip off. This doesn't play enough like Smash bros."

Hey TheMink let me know if I can help at all with the OT, just PM me.

And every time YOPO is brought up...Love it. Can't wait to Cross Play the heck out of this game.

LuuKyK

r4CiE.png

I've been so absent from this thread.

ibsuDIt4qoAGBJ.gif

Wait a minute. Is Mink doing the OT now? I'm pretty sure it wasn't him at first.

Is the OP going to be full of images with "LIAR" all over them then?

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDD Mink s2

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
r4CiE.png

ibsuDIt4qoAGBJ.gif

Wait a minute. Is Mink doing the OT now? I'm pretty sure it wasn't him at first.

Yes because someone else don't have time to make an OT so he gave it to TheMink

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
lol when I said tutorial I was essentially including trials mode as well, as a tutorial for the characters and I personally don't really see the game getting knocked for a standard arcade progression like the capcom fighting games have; though with the way reviews are nowadays you never know. They are kind of inconsistent with that kind of stuff sometimes they will judge a game based upon something while other times that won't be a problem for another game.

It depends on if they review it like it's a compeditive fighter or if the review it like its a smash bros game. Which one do you think will be used for comparison? Especially if there isn't even a ranked 1v1 mode.

And even with the currently most popular fighting game in esports, MvC3 got plenty of reviewers wondering about its amount of content, and that's a game with 38 characters

IGN MvC3 review said:
The balance and depth in the game is astonishing, and even the odd characters have their distinct charms...What's really a shame here is that the developer didn't manage to find a way to supplement the core experience with extras that would extend the life of the game by adding some variety to the package.

Gamespot MvC3 review said:
Seeing it in motion for the first time in all its crisp, high-flying glory is an incredible sight; and thankfully, the game's controls are just as smooth as its visuals. However, when it's outside of the fight, the game stumbles and is found lacking in many of its modes.

softie

Hey guys,

is there any confirmation which of those modes will be playable online?

Story Mode (offline of course)
Training Mode (offline of course)
Tournament mode (online too?) - classic tournament with last 16/quartel-final/semifinal/final?
Arcade Mode (offline of course)
Combat Trials (probably offline?)
Versus Matches (online of course!)
Team Battles (online of course!)
Free For All (online of course!)
Special Event Battles (online too?) - what can be considered "special"? altered conditions to win?
Custom Matches - (online of course?)

Mr. Fix

Hey guys,

is there any confirmation which of those modes will be playable online?

Story Mode (offline of course)
Training Mode (offline of course)
Tournament mode (online too?) - classic tournament with last 16/quartel-final/semifinal/final?
Arcade Mode (offline of course)
Combat Trials (probably offline?)
Versus Matches (online of course!)
Team Battles (online of course!)
Free For All (online of course!)
Special Event Battles (online too?) - what can be considered "special"? altered conditions to win?
Custom Matches - (online of course?)

Judging from the pics and PR for the beta, there may not actually be a tournament mode since they're calling 1v1 and 2v2 "tourneys". Arcade mode is the story mode, so it'll be your standard fight till the end mode. Not sure about special events, and while I'm sure there are customization options, we don't know what we can and can't customize specifically.

Metal B

It depends on if they review it like it's a compeditive fighter or if the review it like its a smash bros game. Which one do you think will be used for comparison? Especially if there isn't even a ranked 1v1 mode.

And even with the currently most popular fighting game in esports, MvC3 got plenty of reviewers wondering about its amount of content, and that's a game with 38 characters

Even games like MvC3, hell all of Capcoms fighting games, should have a lot of content and mods. Smash Brothers and Mortal Kombat 9 show, that it is only laziness on the developers side, since not everybody plays game on an competitive level.

TheMink

Haha thanks guys! Yeah sure :)

Yesss :)

And every time YOPO is brought up...Love it. Can't wait to Cross Play the heck out of this game.

Sure thing boss, probably the breakdown will be all ill need from you. Which i will hyperlink to each character.

r4CiE.png

ibsuDIt4qoAGBJ.gif

Yeah Mr.Fix asked me to fill in for him as he will be to busy.
Hahaha im so sorry about lightning LuuKyK! Forgive me!! XD

TheMink

Cool, don't forget to link Dreweyes cover in the OT.

Bruceleeroy working on the art is pretty dope.

Oh absolutely!

By the way im doing some notes for grabs in the OT, down+grab takes the most AP right? Since its the most dangerous.

EDIT:

Also which Dreweyes cover is the final product?

Some of the character renders are pretty bad when avatar sized :lol. Trying to tweak some more. Great if Dreweyes can put some quality in here!

By the way im doing some notes for grabs in the OT, down+grab takes the most AP right? Since its the most dangerous.

I never heard down throw gives anymore than others :/.

plainr_

I need your help PSASBros. Can any of you identify this font for sly cooper:

3weLB.jpg

And probably a long shot but any font similar to this:

hFGTlm.jpg

These are the last two logos I need to make. I don't mind redrawing them from scratch but finding the font would be ten times easier. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom