• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Charamiwa

Banned
The (rumoured) dungeons are:

Greatwing Dungeon - Sky of Hyrule - Wind Blight Ganon - Breath of Wind - Piloted by Reevali
Charscale Dungeon - Death Mountain Summit - Fire Blight Ganon - Breath of Fire - Piloted by Daruk
Dunepaw Dungeon - South Dragon's Exile - Dust Blight Ganon - Breath of Dust - Piloted by Niira (the Gerudo Girl)
Stormhoof Dungeon - Lake Altun Shore - Water Blight Ganon - Breath of Water - Piloted by Mipha
Temple of the Goddess - Necluda Spire - Malice
Hyrule Castle - Hyrule Castle - Calamity Ganon - Breath of Renewal

Along with the runes you get rune upgrades which extend the time limits some runes have or add power.

The rest of traditional Zelda items are weapons, there are several boomerang and hammer variations, and the hookshot might be replaced with a hook-arrow for use with the bow, as gameplay footage with the desert mount might imply. We're not entirely sure though.

This list sounds like bullshit for a couple of reasons.

First, when this leak happened it used the literal translation of the japanese names, despite claiming it came from the official guide.
Second, Famitsu described the Wind Blight Ganon fight, and claimed that a part of it was riding someone flying that gives you instructions (all signs point to the Rito guy), then jump off from him to shoot arrows from a vantage point. So he's clearly not piloting anything.

But it still could be true I guess. Just saying

Ms.Galaxy

Breath of the Wild series.
30th anniversary series.
Smash Zelda series (they give you meat and arrows).

Actually, even the non zelda amiibos work too apparently. They give you random food and plants

You can also use a non-Zelda amiibo to unlock random food/plant items, and based on my tests, the Smash amiibo also function similarly to the proper Zelda ones (including Sheik). Even the Monster Hunter Stories and BoxBoy figures (exclusive to Japan) will work in the western version.

Caelus

First, when this leak happened it used the literal translation of the japanese names, despite claiming it came from the official guide.

Yeah, that's why I'm skeptical. Though we don't know the name of the Gerudo girl, which the rumour says is named Niira. If that ends up being her actual name, that would lend credence to the rumor.

Second, Famitsu described the Wind Blight Ganon fight, and claimed that a part of it was riding someone flying that gives you instructions (all signs point to the Rito guy), then jump off from him to shoot arrows from a vantage point. So he's clearly not piloting anything.

Well, the dungeons are presumably the mechs corrupted by Malice and controlled by the Elemental Blight Ganons. It could be that after uncorrupting them, they gain new pilots who are your allies.

The list could just be a very educated guess, I do think the mechs will be the dungeons and will correspond to the four races (Rito, Goron, Zora, Gerudo) and elements (Air, Fire, Water, Earth).

If we're maintaining a correspondence with the tribes of Hyrule, I anticipate a Shiekah dungeon (probably in Necluda, perhaps near Kakariko like the Shadow Temple in OoT?) and then Hyrule Castle would correspond with the Hylians and be the final dungeon.

The Koroks are sort of their own thing, but maybe they've got a secret hidden away somewhere. We know sections of the overworld will probably be dungeon like, so I'm not too worried.

Forkball

Spoiler I'm looking forward to: the location of Paya's birthmark.

C5cPj87VAAAlKRi.jpg

C5cPp2XU4AAAHSK.jpg

C5cPwDVVMAAs6uP.jpg

C5cP42NUsAMPtaX.jpg

Caelus

To be fair he's the most attractive Link so far, his outfits are fashionable as fuck. I can't wait to style it up in this game.

Confirms the Old Man is the King (and not like, Ganondorf or whatever), which was pretty obvious, but it seems like he reveals himself to you rather early. Interesting.

Almost 100% positive that "save my daughter" line from the trailer is when he reveals himself so it's gotta be early.

And with that, I'm outta this thread.

Forkball

Love the sound effect.

There seem to be a lot of interesting mini puzzles to get the Korok seeds. From the previews I've seen:

+Jumping into an area surrounded by lily pads
+Following a disappearing flower
+Shooting floating balloons
+Pushing a rock into a cave
+Lifting up boulders
+Flying through rings with the paraglider

They look to be naturally integrated into the world and fairly subtle. If the rumors are true, I'm still not sure how they're supposed to implement 900 of them into the game.

[edit]This album has a lot of preview shots with some stuff I haven't seen.

20ptoM0.png

Dh1F82q.png

tz83u7A.png

OoT gear from amiibos
nwLJJIf.png

EVH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za1QfYbgyR0

Shows off a Shiekah village, a Hylian village, and the Shiekah Slate's camera feature.

Vid also confirms what looks like a "Zora Sword"

Also, specific armor pics:

And of course, high-tech weaponry.

In the very last moments of this video, looks like there is a "Hylia Enciclopedia" that you can complete via taking pictures of the enemies. When he takes the pic of the Fire chuchu, a message appears saying something like "the picture will be added to the Enciclopedia". There is another message saying "The picture will be saved to the album", to make the difference between them.

I like that. Hope this has Metroid Prime visor feeling to it.

m051293

That forest (the Lost Woods I'm guessing) to the north of Hyrule Castle (presumably where the Deku Tree resides) is larger than the entire Great Plateau.

For that matter, Faron Woods is of a similar size as well (though a bit smaller than both).

Calvero

Banned
That forest (the Lost Woods I'm guessing) to the north of Hyrule Castle (presumably where the Deku Tree resides) is larger than the entire Great Plateau.

For that matter, Faron Woods is of a similar size as well (though a bit smaller than both).

huh didn't really hit me until now just how huge the map is. jesus

Why would you wear that dorky helmet if you can wear the armor with a hood. I'm going to keep a battle armor and a stealth armor set. Probably use the Sheikah mask for the stealth.

Daft_Cat

Also confirms this Link is not the same Link from OoT.

Not really - or at least, it doesn't seem to settle the issue either way. Link begins the game with amnesia, so presumably discovering pieces of the fallen hero's tunic wouldn't mean all that much to him. If he really is the resurrected hero of the time, it'll surely be a late game reveal.

Not really - or at least, it doesn't seem to settle the issue either way. Link begins the game with amnesia, so presumably discovering pieces of the fallen hero's tunic wouldn't mean all that much to him. If he really is the resurrected hero of the time, it'll surely be a late game reveal.
That's kind of a stretch. If amnesia affected item descriptions then why would the standard clothing say 'they are given to people who have earned the trust of the royal family' if he's waking up with no fucking clue of who he is or what's going on.

Locking the item behind what seems to be amiibo treasures also seems to imply it's an Easter egg treat vs a plot related armor. We have plenty of other outfits that we have seen in this thread that are callbacks to other titles like Zelda 2, Zelda 1, and Majoras Mask. Is he also all of those?

Daft_Cat

That's kind of a stretch. If amnesia affected item descriptions then why would the standard clothing say 'they are given to people who have earned the trust of the royal family' if he's waking up with no fucking clue of who he is or what's going on.

Locking the item behind what seems to be amiibo treasures also seems to imply it's an Easter egg treat vs a plot related armor. We have plenty of other outfits that we have seen in this thread that are callbacks to other titles like Zelda 2, Zelda 1, and Majoras Mask. Is he also all of those?

I must not have made my point clearly. I'm not suggesting that the finding of the armor means Link must be the hero of time - nor that it's a plot related discovery. Like you said, I'm sure it's just an easter egg or a glorified skin.

That said, just because the item description doesn't say "Hey look - it's your old tunic" doesn't meant that Link won't eventually be revealed as the resurrected hero of time. That remains a fairly convincing theory given what we know about the plot. And like I said, given his amnesia, Breath of the Wild's Link wouldn't recognize the tunic even if it had been his.

RetroMG

Cool, with Amiibo gives that gear or is it random?

You can get the gear randomly from a chest given by the Amiibo, but you can also get a lot of gear that can be found elsewhere in the world from Amiibo chests. So really, we don't know that the OoT gear is locked behind the Amiibo, we only know that is one possible way to get it.

Forkball

Cool, with Amiibo gives that gear or is it random?

The Smash amiibos give food + arrows, the BotW amiibos give specific items like weapons and armor, but it seems the 30th anniversary amiibos have a chance to give the retro costumes. It's not 100% guaranteed, but you have a chance to get a single item per scan. I'm sure these items are available without the amiibos somehow, but it probably won't be until very late in the game or even post-game if that's a thing.

Top Bottom