• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

If you don't think the Chief and Cortana have developed an emotional attachment beyond friendship over the course of the Halo games, that's fine. No point arguing further as, even though it is established lore, if you don't see anything there then there's nothing I can say to sway your opinion.

Dude, her body is comprised of light, boning would be impossible by every standard of known science, there for it's just friendship (or big sister deal(who you cant't fuck for different reasons)).

What established lore? I have read every book and played every game many times over. It's not there. What you're describing is beyond John's character.

As I said, there's no point arguing if you don't see it as it's subtle and very difficult to describe (beyond friends, but hard to define as romance in the traditional sense).

It's established vis Bungie stating that it's a part of the lore. Spartan's not having the capacity, seemingly, to have such feelings does make it different to put it down to John's character. I'd say he cares for Cortana as much as is possible for a Spartan to do so though, certainly more than anyone else in the Galaxy (like his Spartan brethren). There's a plethora of less subtle hints from Cortana's dialogue though, from flirting to outright dependency.

In the end though, it's one of those things that some will see and some won't. Plenty of people see it and you (and others I'm sure), don't. That's fine, but I'd imagine the issue will be dealt with as
rampancy
approaches.

Rtas

Must.....resist........fap.......

These look great, although I think I preferred the elite head design in H3. Chief and Cortana look spectacular, grunt is just weird, I was already hyped but this has put me over the edge. NEED HALO 4

What established lore? I have read every book and played every game many times over. It's not there. What you're describing is beyond John's character.

Pretty sure Bungie mentioned kind of a "background romance" going on between Chief and Cortana in an interview or two around the time after H3 launched.

Besides, to me at least it seems fairly apparent she feels more for him than just a friend. The emotion in the way she says "I'll miss you" and the way her expression changes when change Chief tells her to wake him if she needs him shows more than just friendship.

Instead of saying "Wake me up if something happens" or something, he says "Wake me, when you need me."

Besides, Frankie already said no romance is happening.

Wasn't he just responding to a "Lolz Chief and Cortana gonna get it on!" post?

Looks amazing. I didn't play much MP after 3 though, Reach was great, but somewhat of a letdown after 3 (my personal favorite campaign). ODST did really nothing for me because I prefer the outside areas much more than the city-scapes. Let's hope they don't shoehorn us into a city.

Dyno

Chief is the epic hero, Cortana is his cronicler. They are made for each other. There is love and respect but there won't be any sexuality. They are like brother and sister.

I haven't been paying much attention to this. It looks nice. Cortana's face is encouraging. Reach was a step in the right direction when it came to human faces in Halo games but Halo 4 seems to finally have it right, if Cortana is anything to go by.

Wasn't he just responding to a "Lolz Chief and Cortana gonna get it on!" post?

Pretty much, since Spartans have no libido and it would be actually impossible for it to happen anyway, there's not going to be that kind of relationship. As stated though, that doesn't mean they don't care for each other more than anyone else, in their own way. They have a unique and very well crafted relationship that makes a nice undertone to the series, in my opinion at least.

Rtas

Besides, to me at least it seems fairly apparent she feels more for him than just a friend. The emotion in the way she says "I'll miss you" and the way her expression changes when change Chief tells her to wake him if she needs him shows more than just friendship.

Instead of saying "Wake me up if something happens" or something, he says "Wake me, when you need me."

I always thought this after H3, Cortana is based off
Halsey's brain, and Halsey herself hypothesized that her feelings for john (that he was superior, the one who would lead) were transferred to Cortana and developed upon by the AI
Spoilered that on the off chance some people here haven't read the books. But seriously, obviously there can be no real romance, but there will always be a background one, neither can have a real relationship for numerous reasons but they need and trust each other implicitly this is obvious in H3 when chief goes through the portal purely on Cortana's advice. Risking everything on her word, even with the possibility she was compromised

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
halo4_360_visuel_009p8ooo.jpg

cock fighting boots

grunts look kinda dumb. i guess for a grunt, thats an improvement :p

george_us

The Covenant look like the Locust now. Once again though, thank GOD they got someone new to render faces. Cortana looks so much better than she used to.

Bleh, don't like these over complicated designs, these enemies look like something you'd see in any FPS these days.

** The change kind of reminds me of what Michael Bay did to transformers.

As a fan of the series I am liking what I see. I am very excited for E3 when we will finally see campaign gameplay. Though, the wait till November is going to be long...

op_ivy

Different color skins for weapons confirmed?

i was wondering if it was just the lighting that made both the white stripes bronze-ish, as well as the gun. the blue looks way off too.

Cortana looks younger but i'm okay with this.

I miss gas mask Grunt already.

i'd say its quite likely there are different grunt models in the game, just like there were for most of the other games in the series. there will probably be the some with a more traditional mask.

Surprised so many people here fall for bullshots. Looks pretty nice though, hope the singleplayer in this one is fun.
People know that the game won't be 1080p if that's what you mean. We aren't ignorant of down sampling. Doesn't mean the game isn't looking great, we have seen video.

derFeef

Surprised so many people here fall for bullshots. Looks pretty nice though, hope the singleplayer in this one is fun.

Because we know it's not direct feed and we can still appreciate the technical brilliance and art direction this game seems to have. Surprised so many people can't differentiate that.

i was wondering if it was just the lighting that made both the white stripes bronze-ish, as well as the gun. the blue looks way off too.

Can't be the lighting, as the gun would look totally different if it would recieve colored light. You would also notice it on the Spartan.

KageMaru

If you're reading this Frankie (or anyone else from 343i), can you tell us if those are actually the high res assets for the character models? They look too good to be in-game models IMO.

Otherwise, screens look great. You can really see the influence Kenneth Scott, Sparth, and the rest of the new art team.

Also curious to see how Halo 4's lighting differs from Reach's on a technical level. While Corrine Yu is may be the lead engine architect, she's primarily responsible for the shadow and lighting model IIRC. So I'm interested to see what she has done.

You CortanaxCheif people are fucking WEIRD

For some reason this really made me lol at work.

Everyone these days use bullshots, so it's not even worth talking about IMO.

Stat!

Damn, I was hoping for a new story, new enemies, and all that. Didn't we finish the fight or is that fight still going on?

Still going to pick it up day 1 but damn, hopefully, MP blows me away.

Any chance of a beta similar to 3 and Reach?

op_ivy

Can't be the lighting, as the gun would look totally different if it would recieve colored light. You would also notice it on the Spartan.

i'm not a lighting expert, but as i mentioned you DO notice it on the spartan in the blue and white tones. basically, every color in that picture looks slightly off towards bronze. it could certainly mean we have far more control over our spartans color, including guns, or it could be indicative of some lighting condition they pulled the model from (unless i'm talking out of my ass)

If you're reading this Frankie (or anyone else from 343i), can you tell us if those are actually the high res assets for the character models? They look too good to be in-game models IMO.

i'm sure the renders and cutscene shots are using the highest LOD models

no chance

watership

Damn, I was hoping for a new story, new enemies, and all that. Didn't we finish the fight or is that fight still going on?

Still going to pick it up day 1 but damn, hopefully, MP blows me away.

It has a new story.
It has new enemies.
It's a completely new setting
No Beta.

You should read the responses in the thread. :)

Hulud

So the elites have broken their truce with humans? Or was that truce only applicable to a certain sect of elites? I need to replay Halo 3.

LiK

So the elites have broken their truce with humans? Or was that truce only applicable to a certain sect of elites? I need to replay Halo 3.
I guess the easy way is a separate fanatical group loyal to the Prophets or mind control.

Stat!

It has a new story.
It has new enemies.
It's a completely new setting
No Beta.

You should read the responses in the thread. :)

The GI Information has me skeptical. I know Frankie said they would clarify a lot of things but it kinda "de-hyped" me for the game. No beta is odd (considering Reach and Halo 3 had one). I know there are new enemies, I just don't want old ones too. I want 100% only new enemies. I don't want to fight the same guys again is what I was trying to get at and this has me just worried.

Top Bottom