• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 years later, Majora's Mask is still blowing my mind

Hiltz

It better come to 3DS. From what I hear it's in development. Haven't actually researched it yet.

Aonuma said it could possibly happen and that Nintendo is seriously considering it as long as there's enough fan interest. However, he confirmed that his development team is currently working on an original Zelda title for the 3DS. He only said that it that won't be a direct sequel like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were. He felt that it would have been bit odd for the 3DS to have two Zelda remakes back to back. He's talked with Miyamoto about a Majora's Mask remake on the 3DS. Although, Miyamoto has expressed interest in possibly doing a remake of A Link to the Past.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anju and Kafei = OTP 4ver. My favorite couple in a game.

I feel the exact same way., I always give MM the edge in the end. In fact SS, reminded me a lot of MM mainly for the interaction with the characters.

Wonder if SS will be looked back as fondly as MM is nowadays in a few years time.

Wii Tank

The moon was one of the creepiest, yet serene areas ever. The game pumps you up into thinking you're about to face the final boss, and then just drops you there. The moon children are even creepier. The cryptic things they say was well as the challenges you had to complete were awesome.

I also look back really fondly to the whole story arc of Romani and Cremia. I always really liked the brief cutscene that plays when you hitch a ride with Cremia back to Clock Town. It's a powerful scene

Tuck

I don't know how official this is, but this is some heavy stuff (Might be old)
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/the-stone-tower-why-termina-was-doomed/

VERY long read.

Summary (This is my own opinion and I didn't re-read the article, I read it a long time ago. If someone can provide a better summary, I'll appreciate it):
=The four giants are the protectors of Termina
=Humans began worshiping them
=Goddesses offered a covenant with the Giants by offering the protection of the Triforce.
=Humans recent this (Male Gods Vs Females)
=So Terminians build a temple to represent this hate (Stone Tower)
=You can see the humiliation of the triforce on the Stones that "lick" it
=Majora is also worshiped in that temple
=Goddesses doom Termina.

This:
One example would be the implicit story of the Deku Butler’s son. Upon being transformed into a Deku Scrub, Link finds a strange tree that resembles his present shape and seems to be crying. Later, Link meets the Deku Butler, who is reminded of his absent son when he sees Link’s Deku Scrub form. At the end of the game, the Deku Butler is seen crying before the strange tree. Though the game never bluntly states it, it is clear that Majora’s Mask forced Link into his Deku form by stealing the soul of the Deku Butler’s son, leaving an inanimate tree in his place.

...caught me off guard a bit...

definitely the most underrated 3D zelda, and definitely in the top 5 (ocarina of time, skyward sword, a link to the past, majoras mask, wind waker) for me.

also, a 3DS remake is DEFINITELY needed. its a complete no-brainer at this point. ocarina of time 3D sold extremely well, so there is no reason why this shouldnt be made also.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, everytime I replay MM I find something new about some character, I love the game so much.

Really hope it gets an OoT 3d treatment, the best zelda deserves it.

CFMOORE!

I need to play this game again. I played it only once when it first came out and did it with a guide. It just seemed like a bunch of different side quests piece-mealed into a full game. Is that an unfair critique?

horribly unfair. this is a game that I still take every opportunity to educate the naive who simply passed on it as something of a side quest that wasn't worth playing for more than a couple of hours.

I can't believe it has been nearly 12 years since I first played it. I still love the fact I got through this game and got all masks unaided. I know not a single person who did this without cheating.

The game is sheer brilliance. Few games I think should be studied for their amazing ability to nail all aspects of an interactive experience, but MM is definitely one of them.

Anth0ny

This:

...caught me off guard a bit...

That was one of the first "MIND BLOWN" moments I experienced from the game. Hyrule Historia confirms it, too.

XdEsg.jpg

I already knew about the Romani and Chateau Romani=alcohol thing, but damn, when you put it that way it's pretty depressing.

But every time you only had the time to save one area, the others would remain in sorrow. You would thaw the mountain but you knew the swamp was still poisoned. Enjoyed it while you could but then it was like nothing ever happened... Man... That game...!

And that's why I always make sure to do the most I can, even if it's a repeat, in the final cycle before fighting Majora. I think the only thing I never redo is saving the zora eggs -.-

I don't know how official this is, but this is some heavy stuff (Might be old)
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/the-stone-tower-why-termina-was-doomed/

VERY long read.

Summary (This is my own opinion and I didn't re-read the article, I read it a long time ago. If someone can provide a better summary, I'll appreciate it):
=The four giants are the protectors of Termina
=Humans began worshiping them
=Goddesses offered a covenant with the Giants by offering the protection of the Triforce.
=Humans recent this (Male Gods Vs Females)
=So Terminians build a temple to represent this hate (Stone Tower)
=You can see the humiliation of the triforce on the Stones that "lick" it
=Majora is also worshiped in that temple
=Goddesses doom Termina.

This is another similar article: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/the-message-of-majoras-mask/

These types of connections really make me wonder what was going through the developers' heads when they were creating the game.

Edit: I was beaten :p

Even if they may be overthinking it a lot, those are still two of my favorite Zelda related things I've read.

CFMOORE!

I don't think anyone's allowed to call Majora's Mask underrated anymore considering the constant circle jerks the game gets nowadays

I like the game

except the circle jerks started roughly 9-10 years too late as opposed to when the game first came out it should have been lauded. I remember having to constantly convince people back in 2000/2001 to even give it a shot.

'uh, it only have four dungeons?! PASS!"

Anth0ny

except the circle jerks started roughly 9-10 years too late as opposed to when the game first came out it should have been lauded. I remember having to constantly convince people back in 2000/2001 to even give it a shot.

'uh, it only have four dungeons?! PASS!"

"What is this 3 day crap? Just make it like Ocarina of Time again!"

Dare I say that most game developers can learn a thing or two from the way MM tells a story? Good characterization trumps cinematic cutscenes any day of the week.

I think one of the crazier optional / hidden scenes is the one that plays on the first or second night if you're in your room at the inn.

You hear Anju and her mother arguing about Kafei, with the mom trying to convince her that he's run off with Cremia and that it'd be the best for everyone if they just let that happen.

linko9

Yeah, this really is an amazing game. I rarely enjoy videogame stories, but I absolutely love this one. The Anju and Kafei sidequest is the best sidequest in any videogame, bar none. Clock Town is by far my favorite town/city location in any game. In the end, the dungeons and overworld aren't as good as OoT, so I give to nod to OoT overall, but there are a lot of things that MM does better than any other game.

SpacLock

I've played every single Zelda except for this one. I bought it through the VC on my Wii, but I still have yet to start it. N64 games just look so terrible these days that it's difficult for me to play or replay them. Am I really missing out on a lot if I'm skipping this one? Would I be able to enjoy it after all of this time?

Oh, and I haven't played Skyward Sword, but whatever.

I've played every single Zelda except for this one. I bought it through the VC on my Wii, but I still have yet to start it. N64 games just look so terrible these days that it's difficult for me to play or replay them. Am I really missing out on a lot if I'm skipping this one? Would I be able to enjoy it after all of this time?

If the graphics are that much of a hurdle, cross your fingers for a 3DS remake alongside everyone else.

AlexSmash

yeah, my best gaming experience ever.

i played it last year for the FIRST time and i was still amazed, even today.

i remember how on the last 3 days, before fighting majora i wanted to help as many characters as possible.
on the last day i randomly got that conversation with ramoni which th op mentioned and that feeling to leave now, and save these 2 characters was just great.

more memorable moments:

- the father of pamela and his healing
- anju quest of course
- the milk bar in general. the music and feeling in this is just... great.
- the wooden butler and his son (in the credits...)

god damn.. this game is so good. i really love this game

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Hell yeah you're missing a lot.

And to be quite honest, I was in disbelief at how good Majora's Mask looks on the VC. The IQ is unbelievably good for an N64 game. When I played, I noticed ZERO jaggies. The colors are so vibrant, and there is NO slowdown whatsoever. Just an unbelievable emulation job done by Nintendo.

hao chi

I really need to go back and play this game. I downloaded it on WiiWare and shortly after got sidetracked by another game (U3, I think).

The mood and amount of side-quests in MM really makes it stand out for me. I'd love to see another Zelda that is as emotionally heavy as MM.

Loofy

Wow that blew my mind. Ive always thought the milk-liquor thing was just an excuse for nintendo to have a bar setting, not that it was ever actual alcohol.

I remember being really amazed at the draw distance in the game.
Go to romani ranch and get as far away as you can from the balloon. Its still visible.
Now pull out your bow and aim for it. Yup you can still pop it.

Medalion

Banned
The game did always make ya laugh about the scale of that moon, sometimes it's fucking huge, and sometimes it's only the size of that small town of Clown Town

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Let's not forget the agony in Link's face every time he put on a transformation mask. You could tell that shit was uncomfortable.

AlexSmash

For some strange reason, I still remember the first time I went through this. Made me tear-up really unexpectedly.

dont feel bad about it, i did too

---

and yeah; i have to agree that the writing was the best in the zelda series during the n64 times.

Do you know what Majora's Mask didn't have?

Needlessly long and persistent tutorials
I'd say the Deku Scrub parts prior to retrieving the Ocarina qualifies but even that is so incredibly superior to the Wolf Link bullshit in TP.

thought you were going to say Ganon and Zelda

Wow, that's some pretty crazy stuff in the first post. Goes over your head when you're a young gamer playing through this the first time.

I while back I found an article that analyzes aspects of Majora's Mask. It really made me realize the little details Nintendo puts in their games that flesh out the story and characters. Here it is for those who would want to read it. I was probably only 10 years old when I first beat the game so most of it went right over my head.

Came into this thread to post this. Absolutely changed the way I look at the game. From a gameplay perspective, I've never really liked Majora's Mask, but as for all of the themes and symbolism it's just utterly fantastic.

Balehead

My #1 game of all time. It blew me away when it was released and I used to replay it quite often even a few years later. Reading these threads makes me think I might even consider getting a 3DS if MM gets a remake. Such a hassle to set up to good old N64 nowadays, and the now-loose controller...

Getting into the Milk Bar for the first time was so rewarding, such and exclusive thing made me feel like part of the elite. Played it for a long-ass time too, all the masks unguided iirc but not the heartpieces.

Just youtubed some random parts of a playthrough and I don't seem to remember much.

McLovin

This game kind of freaked me out as a kid. That fucking moon man! Fuck! I never did beat it, I should go back and try again. I should be able to handle it now lol

I had to play Majoras Mask on wii virtual console because my brothers had occupied the files on N64. At first I was intimidated in playing this game because my brother was telling me how hard the game was. This was back in the day when my brother bought the game, but since my brother purchased it again on VC I got to play it and I wasn't intimidated with the 3 days. I beat the game without guides and I would love to play it again. I love Majoras Mask.

Persona7

Banned
It kind of blows my mind that all these threads with the exact same findings have been popping up for the past 2-3 years !

Mainly because it took so long.

Caramello

I first played Majora's Mask on Wii in 2010 and it instantly became my favourite Zelda title.

A bit of personal history: My first Zelda ever was The Wind Waker on GameCube in 2005 and I fell in love with the franchise instantly. I then played Twilight Princess on Wii and liked it but I didn't feel it was as good as Wind Waker, so I tried playing OoT on N64 and hated it, couldn't get myself to pass the second dungeon so I left it..

Then I played Phantom Hourglass, I enjoyed it but was mostly underwhelmed. I didn't even finish Spirit Tracks. Majora's Mask felt like a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale franchise to me.. Too bad for most people it was not that breath of fresh air in 2010 but a 10 year old game to look back fondly on..

I haven't finished Skyward Sword yet so I can't really comment on it but it's certainly a very solid title. It doesn't give me that feeling of "just another dungeon and I'll stop", that push to keep playing like a good book has you continuing to read..

I have hope for the series but honestly the best thing they could do is have you begin the game as Link, in your green attire, in the middle of a forest with nobody around to tell you what to do and no explanation as to why you're there. It's as much about what you don't tell the player as what you do!

Top Bottom