• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pieces of Virtual Console 2006 Titles Revealed!

From IGN and IGNboards:

Metroid (Virtual Console)
Nintendo
Action
TBA 2006

Legend of Zelda (Virtual Console), The
Nintendo
Adventure
TBA 2006

Ecco the Dolphin (Virtual Console)
SEGA
Action
TBA 2006

Altered Beast (Virtual Console)
SEGA
Action
TBA 2006

ToeJam & Earl (Virtual Console)
SEGA
Action
TBA 2006

Super Mario 64 (Virtual Console)
Nintendo
Platformer
TBA 2006

Sonic the Hedgehog (Virtual Console)
SEGA
Platformer
TBA 2006

Bonk's Adventure (Virtual Console)
Hudson Soft
Platformer
TBA 2006

Golden Axe (Virtual Console)
SEGA
Action
TBA 2006

Columns (Virtual Console)
SEGA
Action
TBA 2006

Ristar (Virtual Console)
SEGA
Action
TBA 2006

Super Mario Bros. (Virtual Console)
Nintendo
Platformer
TBA 2006

Super Mario World (Virtual Console)
Nintendo
Platformer
TBA 2006

Duderz

Banned
Well, it's a start.

We've gotten these games dozens of times over, though...I would've rather seen other launch games for previous systems.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Link648099 said:
Metroid (Virtual Console)
Legend of Zelda (Virtual Console), The
Ecco the Dolphin (Virtual Console)
ToeJam & Earl (Virtual Console)
Super Mario 64 (Virtual Console)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Virtual Console)
Golden Axe (Virtual Console)
Super Mario Bros. (Virtual Console)
Super Mario World (Virtual Console)

Nice......:)

jarrod

Banned
Other games we know about (though I'm not sure about US launch confirmations)...

Confirmed
-Donkey Kong (NES)
-Gunstar Heroes (GEN)
-Mario Bros. (NES)
-New Adventure Island (TG16)
-R-Type (TG16)
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

Hinted
-Earthbound (SNES)
-Excitebike (NES)
-Final Fantasy V (SNES)
-F-Zero (SNES)
-Impossible Mission (C64)
-Impossible Mission II (C64)
-Jumpman Jr. (C64)
-Mario Kart 64 (N64)
-Mortal Kombat (SNES)
-Ninja Gaiden (NES)
-Pitstop (C64)
-Punch-Out!! (NES)
-Rygar (NES)
-Samurai Showdown (SNES)
-Summer Games (C64)
-Summer Games II (C64)
-Super Mario Kart (SNES)
-Super Metroid (SNES)
-Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-Wave Race 64 (N64)
-Winter Games (C64)

Hero

I seriously hope there's a lot more than just this. Half of these games are already playable in multiple ways.

Give me stuff like Kid Icarus or Star Tropics.

Mason

When Nintendo announced VC, I was envisioning this enormous catalog of hundreds of games. This is pretty pathetic.

Mason said:
When Nintendo announced VC, I was envisioning this enormous catalog of hundreds of games. This is pretty pathetic.
Yeah, I was hoping for that but pretty much knew this would happen instead. I would have even liked it if Nintendo just dropped all the Black/Silver boxed NES games on day 1 (stuff like Pinball, Ice Climber, etc...)

Amir0x

Banned
We knew most of these from what Nintendo showed at E3 and the ESRB leak, the only one I didn't see before was Metroid but that seemed like an obvious choice anyway.

Amir0x said:
We knew most of these from what Nintendo showed at E3 and the ESRB leak, the only one I didn't see before was Metroid but that seemed like an obvious choice anyway.

Oh, you are here! I must do the honor then.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mason said:

Why would they even consider blowing the whole load at once?

Hero said:
I seriously hope there's a lot more than just this. Half of these games are already playable in multiple ways.

Give me stuff like Kid Icarus or Star Tropics.

I was going to say this list is really pathetic but given that it is only 13 games out of 60 coming out for launch, I won't say that yet. They'll likely release a lot of big guns at the start but hold onto a few, which should leave some space for less popular titles (games that GAF wants).

A good strategy IMO is basically any franchise with multiple iterations per console generation should only contain 1 game from that generation at launch, which is probably close to what they're following.

At launch:
SMB
SMW
SM64
LoZ
LoZ: Lttp
LoZ: OoT
Sonic 1
etc.

For Future:
SMB3
SMW: YI
Zelda II
LoZ: MM
Sonic 2 and 3
etc.

EDIT: Don't take this bare-bones lineup so seriously, just some major franchise announcements. This is so far from a full lineup that it's hard to really offer any impressions of what they have in mind.

EphemeralDream said:
I was going to say this list is really pathetic but given that it is only 13 games out of 60 coming out for launch, I won't say that yet. They'll likely release a lot of big guns at the start but hold onto a few, which should leave some space for less popular titles (games that GAF wants).
Where was this confirmed? I'd be happy at this point with 60 that would be great.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Chris_C said:
Super Mario World? Why not Just release... what was it called, that compilation that had Lost Levels as well?

:lol

Super Mario Allstars

And miss out on all the extra cash by selling 4 games rather then 1

Hero

8 dollars for Super Mario All Stars

Or 5 dollars per SMB, SMB2, SMB3 and 8 per SMW download?

Monies!

Amir0x

Banned
Link648099 said:
Oh, you are here! I must do the honor then.

The honor of...?

Maridia said:
How much would Bonk and Golden Axe run me?

5 bucks?

xsarien said:
Why would they even consider blowing the whole load at once?

Well, I don't know what's the point of BC of old titles is if it's only gonna be like 30 or something at first... that's basically just Xbox 360 BC then, only difference is Nintendo's back catalog goes back way longer. It's not like putting the titles up takes any herculean effort. In the end, I assume the only reason they don't put more up is to give each title its 'spotlight' for more exposure and thus more $$$. Which, ya know, I don't care about.

Anyway, just give me Tetris Attack and I'll be done with this service!

GitarooMan said:
Where was this confirmed? I'd be happy at this point with 60 that would be great.

It was said at the Nintendo Conference recently that there would be 60 BC titles for Japan before the end of the year... how that breaks down for US and Europe is not clear.

Branduil

I hope Super Metroid shows up. It's really surprising it has never been playable on another platform despite the resurrection of the franchise.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Amir0x said:
Well, I don't know what's the point of BC of old titles is if it's only gonna be like 30 or something at first... that's basically just Xbox 360 BC then, only difference is Nintendo's back catalog goes back way longer. It's not like putting the titles up takes any herculean effort. In the end, I assume the only reason they don't put more up is to give each title its 'spotlight' for more exposure and thus more $$$. Which, ya know, I don't care about.

Anyway, just give me Tetris Attack and I'll be done with this service!

Not at all. It's fully backwards compatible with the Gamecube from day 1, the virtual console is much more akin to XBLA, which is on a much more anemic schedule.

Amir0x

Banned
xsarien said:
Not at all. It's fully backwards compatible with the Gamecube from day 1, the virtual console is much more akin to XBLA, which is on a much more anemic schedule.

XBLA titles have new functionality, HD graphics, online play... something to do with, ya know, effort. Nintendo VC titles - up to this point, anyway - are basically just equivalent to throwin' a ROM up online. If they were adding new stuff, maybe you'd have a point.

Serious question: Are these games going to be in 480p?

I'd probably bite on SM64 just to satisfy my Mario craving (it's ****ing launch for crying out loud). Was tempted to play it again on the DS but I'd rather play it on a big screen.

Amir0x

Banned
whatdidyousay said:
Serious question: Are these games going to be in 480p?

I'd probably bite on SM64 just to satisfy my Mario craving (it's ****ing launch for crying out loud). Was tempted to play it again on the DS but I'd rather play it on a big screen.

I believe so, at least at E3 I remember hearing they were.

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
XBLA titles have new functionality, HD graphics, online play... something to do with, ya know, effort. Nintendo VC titles - up to this point, anyway - are basically just equivalent to throwin' a ROM up online. If they were adding new stuff, maybe you'd have a point.
New Virtual Console games are being developed too. I bet there's even effort included! :lol

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
New Virtual Console games are being developed too. I bet there's even effort involved! :lol

But, these are not those titles. Neither would I presume hundreds of other potential games from the Nintendo, SNES and N64 catalog would be those titles.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
If I get a wii I don’t think I will be able to bring myself to buy some of the VC games

I mean I own SMB on NES
I still have the GBC edition and the GBA classic edition.
I also had All stars on SNES!

I mean do I need it for a fifth time?

Still others i haven't played rock!

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
But, these are not those titles. Neither would I presume hundreds of other potential games from the Nintendo, SNES and N64 catalog would be those titles.
So what? The service and content delivery is still far closer to XBLA than 360 backwards compatibility (who's natural comparable would be Wii GC playback), only Wii's significantly more loaded already in both areas. There's obviously reasons for that, but c'mon...

Chris_C

ethelred said:
:lol

You're new to Nintendo, right?

I figure it has to come out at some point or another. Should look gorgeous in HD.
Oh wait!!

But seriously, they need to get some All Star Action happnin'

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
So what? The service and content delivery is still far closer to XBLA than 360 backwards compatibility (who's natural comparable would be Wii GC playback), only Wii's significantly more loaded already in both areas. There's obviously reasons for that, but c'mon...

In delivery only, but that should be the easiest part. Like I said, it's only being done this way to give the titles more exposure and thus more $$$. Of course, if they get 60 titles before the end of the year and are consistent with releases it won't be terrible or anything... but I'm just saying, you can't expect me to be impressed with such a lackluster job. If they were adding stuff to these titles, then I'd understand.

lyre

I would sure as hell call, if Nintendo ever does, bringing over formerly JPN only games, like you know Fire Emblem S/NES games or Mother 1 as 'effort'.

Amir0x said:
It was said at the Nintendo Conference recently that there would be 60 BC titles for Japan before the end of the year... how that breaks down for US and Europe is not clear.

Reggie said 30 VC games before the end of the year and 10 per month starting January 2007 at the New York event.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Scoot said:
Wow a chance to rebuy a bunch of games I've bought already.

Excitement +10.

No one says ya' have to, sport!

Amir0x said:

And Microsoft is the constant target of bitching, moaning and whining about the glacial pace at which those titles are being released. You can't have it both ways; shoehorning network code, higher resolutions and new features into games never designed to accomodate those features takes time.

And last I heard all VC games would be running at 480p, but I've taken GAF at its word before only to be burned.

Amir0x

Banned
Netrunner2k2 said:
Reggie said 30 VC games before the end of the year and 10 per month starting January 2007 at the New York event.

Hm, so I guess the difference between breakdown in Japan and US releases is pretty major, then. Japan gets a whole 30 more releases before the end of 2006!

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
In delivery only, but that should be the easiest part.
I'd say pricepoint and the actual content itself is far closer to XBLA than Xbox playback as well. There might not be achievements or new visuals or online play (or there might actually, we don't know), but the VC and XBLA are basically identical concepts.

ethelred

yudaan said:
I would sure as hell call, if Nintendo ever does, bringing over formerly JPN only games, like you know Fire Emblem S/NES games or Mother 1 as 'effort'.

"If," "if," "if." We're a little more than a month from launch now. The time for benefit of the doubt is over here.

Top Bottom