• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #209 (Christmas) scores: Dragonage?

domlolz

Banned
Modern Warfare 2: 9
Assassin's Creed 2: 8
Left 4 Dead 2: 9
***Bayonetta: 10(!)***
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks: 8
Sin and Punishment: 8
Dragon Age:Origins: 5 (360 version tested if that counts for something?)
Saw: 4
Lit: 7
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles 7
Football Manager 2010: 8
Tropico 3: 7
Spaceball Revolution: 5

Features: Crackdown 2, APB, DUST 514, Miyamoto interview.

And an awesome shiny cover which was folded in the post and has a massive crease down it :(

domlolz said:

124444-large.jpg

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Well deserved score for Bayonetta, except for a few technical issues (360 version of course) it's an awesome game.

Cdammen

I really liked the Bayonetta demo even though I'm really bad at twitchy action games. I got an B, hade fun, laughed at the jokes/winks, was floored by the animation and wanted more... I might actually buy this. It'll be my first action brawler since Devil May Cry :D

Aurelius

Et tu Edge? A 5 for Dragon Age Origins after Eurogamer gave the 360-version a 6/10.
Still enjoying the game! :)

Wow, suprising score for Bayonetta - played the PS3 demo and I really could not see what any of the fuss is about, although I should say i'm no big fan of DMC style games.

Good scores for Spirit Tracks and Sin & Punishment.

Disagree about Dragon Age, but eh. I like it, Edge doesn't, world keeps going.

Excited by Bayonetta score. Damn delay.

eggandI

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Wow, suprising score for Bayonetta - played the PS3 demo and I really could not see what any of the fuss is about, although I should say i'm no big fan of DMC style games.

I'm a fan of DMC style games and this sums it up rather well:
Witchfinder General said:
sexually frustrated otakus
Though to be honest it looks more promising than DMC4. DMC4 was very mediocre so that isn't exactly an extraordinary feat.

spons

Gold Member
And what version of L4D2 did they test? 360? Compared to the PC version it's just as crappy from a technical point of view as Dragon Age yet it still got a well-deserved 9 while DA is being shat upon. Unless they're whining about something else.

Going to waste the rest of my day playing Dragon Age either way when I get back home.

Darklord

Banned
Bootaaay said:

But you almost see her naked LOL OMG. :3

Aaron

eggandI said:
Though to be honest it looks more promising than DMC4. DMC4 was very mediocre so that isn't exactly an extraordinary feat.
The main character could be Marcus Fenix in a tutu, and it really wouldn't change my opinion that Bayonetta is the best action game in years. It seems that everyone who has completed the game only heaps praise on it. So it's probably a lock for 9 or 10 on the 360 at least.

spons said:
And what version of L4D2 did they test? 360? Compared to the PC version it's just as crappy from a technical point of view as Dragon Age yet it still got a well-deserved 9 while DA is being shat upon. Unless they're whining about something else.
I wasn't aware the gameplay of L4D2 also changed completely on consoles. Maybe they have something to do with the forced over the shoulder view, the clumsy wheel controls, and the reduced enemy encounters.

Darklord said:
What...

..the fuck?

And yet again Edge scores make no sense to me. What a surprise.

I stopped taking them seriously a long time ago, you should too. They just do this shit. They keep throwing 9s and 10s for whatever reasons they have, then they find some well known game to shit on to prove that they're strict and serious like the good old days. They're a fucking joke.

Cdammen

I like Edge's approach. Instead of homogenizing the scores and giving in to other peoples' percieved opinions they rate subjectively as hell :)

Fuck Metacritic and its ilk. I want opinions, not "people think this is an X game so we should rate it X".

Why would anyone want to read a 9 score review when they've already made up their mind about a game? It's fun and more enligtening to read different opinions.

gillty

Banned
domlolz said:
Modern Warfare 2: 9
Assassin's Creed 2: 8
Left 4 Dead 2: 9
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks: 8
Sin and Punishment: 8
Saw: 4
Lit: 7
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles 7
Football Manager 2010: 8
Tropico 3: 7
Spaceball Revolution: 5
33fgtg2.jpg

Cdammen said:
I like Edge's approach. Instead of homogenizing the scores and giving in to other peoples' percieved opinions they rate subjectively as hell :)

Fuck Metacritic and its ilk. I want opinions, not "people think this is an X game so we should rate it X".

Why would anyone want to read a 9 score review when they've already made up their mind about a game? It's fun and more enligtening to read different opinions.

They're not homogenizing? LOL Is this why the majority of their scores are between 8-10? If you knew the old Edge you wouldn't say that. Btw nice to know that Spaceball according to Edge is as good a Dragon Age.

I actually doubt that most of their scores are between 8 and 10.
Anyway, I'd love to read the reviews. They're always a good read imo.

And the thread title should celebrate Bayonetta. :)
Kamiya knocked it out of the park. But considering his resume, it was to be expected.

Dragon Age (360 version) is my Game Of The Year thus far. I can only assume that the Edge staff are, collectively, very drunk indeed, or insane, or just weird.

CONVERSELY I am now really looking forward to Bayonetta because of that score. Oh, Edge! How fickle I am with you!

Amir0x

Banned
On the one hand, I don't know if I disagree with the Dragon Age origins score. on the other hand, I played it for every waking hour of my time off from work when I got it.

It's derivative as fuck, the loading on the 360 version is fucking nasty, the A.I. can be retarded even when you set their tactics extensively, the game has the most wildly swinging difficulty of any RPG I've played in ages - easy one second, almost impossibly difficult the next.

And yet I can't stop playing it whenever I turn it on. it's a 5/10 and a 9/10!

Valru said:

Rarely has there been a better pic on GAF. 5? ORLY? *The* best RPG of the last few years. I am seriously depressed by the lack of "gamer" inside these reviewers.

And yet I can't stop playing it whenever I turn it on

That, my friend, is the only measurement that should be used in reviews. 10/10.

Shinjitsu

Banned
How anyone that reviews games for a living could think Dragon Age could review at a 50% just blows my mind.

Normally, I could give two shits about review scores, but really, a fucking 5 out of 10?:lol

Shinjitsu said:
How anyone that reviews games for a living could think Dragon Age could review at a 50% just blows my mind.

Normally, I could give two shits about review scores, but really a fucking 5 out of 10?:lol

When I clicked on this thread I honestly expected to see it given a ten, and that was the reason for the surprise. Just goes to show: one man's meal is another man's leftovers. Or something.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if you have the magazine and could give us details on the content of the SPIRIT TRACKS review, i'd be much appreciative.

Top Bottom