• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Valve is not your friend, and Steam is not healthy for gaming

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've never understood those "Gabe Newell as Jesus" images.

The guy's a businessman. He doesn't care about you, he just wants your money.

StereoVsn

So here is a question. What other platform offers workshop capabilities at all? The answer is none. Certainly treatment of creators is not good, but until GoG or Origin integrate workshop like capabilities Steam will be the only game in town.

Let's not even mention MS, which is a whole lot worse then Dteam for customers, or uPlay which is buggy and has terrible selection.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Corporations aren't your friend, and neither are "journalism" sites driven by click-bait practices.

is there like some hidden message in these articles that say the opposite? Do I have to dip it in water to see "WE LOVE YOU PLEASE READ US?" or is this just drive-by shit?

TVexperto

I still remember 10 years ago when people already had those fears about steam becoming a monopoly and people were pissing on origin and uplay for having some competition, I wonder what they are saying now

Guys, we get it. You don't like Polygon. Why not respond to the content of the article instead of drive-by shitposting because your best corporate friend took some criticism.

is there like some hidden message in these articles that say the opposite? Do I have to dip it in water to see "WE LOVE YOU PLEASE READ US?" or is this just drive-by shit?

Going by the whole 0.33PPD it looks like another drive-by with a hate boner for a website.

Corporations aren't your friend, and neither are "journalism" sites driven by click-bait practices.

Did you actually read the piece? Because it's not that unless you consider every single article ever written to be clickbait. This is a no-win scenario you set up. Corporations? Not your friend. Filthy journalists? Also not your friend. Now you can carry on without having to question any part of your life, no matter how minor.

Amazing to me how many people will disregard this because it's on a site they don't like, as if Polygon is even close to being on the same level as Steam in terms of malpractice. Or because they just can't handle cognitive dissonance. "I use Steam, but Steam is bad... would that make me... bad?" No, it doesn't. There is no ethical consumption under late capitalism. Understanding the situation doesn't hurt you though.

Yep. Steam/Valve is far from being a saint, but compared to Polygon they are Mother Theresa.

Like, what the fuck. Company exploiting their users/laborers are better than Polygon? No perspective whatsoever

Breaking news from Polygon.

No company is your friend, doesn't mean I should stop buying from them, it just means you have to be aware when making purchasing decisions.

Admodieus

There's hyperbole here but the main point is valid - people have an almost religious attachment to Valve and Steam, to the point where it hinders rational assessment of the alternatives.

I get the desire to have all your friends and games in one place, but Origin has become a pretty good client by itself these days. GOG is pretty good and I don't have any issues with the Windows Store for my Play Anywhere titles. I don't spend a lot of time in uPlay because I don't play many Ubi Soft games.

As long as the game is available on PC and I can redownload it each of my machines and sync my saves back and forth, I'm good. Every client seems to do that these days.

Guess Who

Banned
Guys, we get it. You don't like Polygon. Why not respond to the content of the article instead of drive-by shitposting because your best corporate friend took some criticism.

If anything, some of these posts are really exemplifying just how deep and irrational Valve loyalism runs.

The "recent" treatment of workshop creators has been a really bad mark for Valve, no doubt about it.
Some of the legal stuff they've been involved also doesn't paint them in a good light, at all.

But the rest of the article is so goddamn hyperbolic that even when the author made good points I was rolling my eyes because I could taste the stupid of the writing.

It's not my friend or my family.
Is just my home, good or bad, it was always here and it will be..

Yup, I'm not moving away from it anytime soon. Steam has pretty much integrated itself into my life through the services I use, the games I play, and the friends I communicate with.

The beauty of Steam is that they give game publishers and developers the ability to generate keys, so you don't need to buy expensive games from the Steam Store itself. There are cheaper ways.

I love that I always have a digital download copy of a game no matter where I buy it from, even if it's retail. I wish it was like that on consoles as well.

They're definitely not wrong, but Valve is also the only company providing an HTPC-friendly environment for people who play games on PC. Not to mention their hardware make them more than just a storefront; the Steam Link is generally well-received, and though the Steam Controller is niche, it has a community behind it, and some incredible ideas that don't deserve to fade into obscurity. To some, they're not just a convenient place to hold your library. It might sound like I'm glorifying them here, but I really don't see them like that. If there were alternatives, I'd use them, and I try to buy from places like GOG when I can. For some of us, the idea of breaking away really isn't that simple.

The article spends way too much time on incendiary and provocative language. It actually starts making a case halfway through, and at that point supports it pretty well. But by then, many readers will have already dismissed it. I feel like the writer should have cut the fat to make a stronger case

I haven't bought a game on Steam in awhile. If I can buy it on GoG, I buy it from them.

If game developers offer the game directly from their website (i.e. Runic Games with Torchlight 2), I buy it directly from the developer.

Posting in a thread to basically just say they're not going to read the OP should be some type of offense to be honest.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
That's not true at all. Valve is a for profit corporation that is trying to make as much profit as possible. The fact that they don't answer to shareholders makes them have to publicly disclose much less than companies with shareholders and that may actually make them more dangerous.
Disagree. They don't have a fiduciary duty to try to make as much money as possible as every public company does. Of course they're trying to make a profit, you're acting like being a for-profit company is an inherently bad thing.

Most of the shit I own on Steam I bought elsewhere for cheaper, idled it for card money which I then used that for Steam purchases. I can't think of another company which would allow such an arrangement.

Origin is pretty good as a platform.
except the client is awful.

Friends list, library, and messages have to load and take forever.
The invite and join buttons break constantly which makes playing with friends annoying.
On top of that the ingame UI causes HORRIBLE hitching. Even with it disabled, the notifications that get sent to desktop still cause problems.

Kurdel

Banned
I agree with the article, and the conclusion hits the nail on the head.

Polygon said:
The imaginary Gabe, the one in our memes, is a cultural defense mechanism, a happy fiction we all invented to make us feel better about the fact that we were, and remain, willing partners in installing PC gaming's biggest, most opaque, exploitative monopoly — one which we know deep down doesn't care about us at all.

Maybe it's time for all of us to wake up.

Dec

They are exploiting their workshop creators and take pretty much as little responsibility as they can all around, so yes

Do you know why workshop creators are as mad as they are?

Their cut from profits has never changed outside of ONE specific method of sale and that is the Battle Pass.

In previous years they sold workshop sets as individual sets or chests of 8~ sets of which you get 1 random for a couple dollars. In those scenarios the workshop artists have always received the same amount (chest money is split between all artists and valve, set direct purchases between creating artist and valve). This is still true, unchanged.

Since then though, Valve has begun quarterly (or about that often) Battle Passes that coincide with major tournaments/The International where you can do things in game to level the Battle Pass and earn chests and other rewards. These Battle Passes offer so much value to players compared to just normally buying cosmetics that the majority of cosmetics sales are now people buying into the Battle Pass. If you compare how workshop artists make money now to two years ago when it was "healthier" there are the exact same cuts they had before, but another way to earn on top of that. The only thing that has changed is that players are buying way less sets directly and way more cosmetics through the Battle Pass.

In the past all artists received a very small portion of the entire profits of the Battle Pass. While that is really nice for the artists, I can absolutely understand why that isn't ideal for Valve. The pay people are getting for just one set for one hero must be insane.

Instead they removed the workshop artist cut from Battle Pass purchases and moved them to the purchases that are directly for the things that artist made (buying treasures that are included in said Battle Passes).

It is absolutely understandable why workshop artists are so mad about it, they lost a lot of their income. But my point is "was that income way too high to begin with", and there is an argument to be had there, but probably not by either of us.

I just feel like all of the people up in arms about that workshop thing are either directly tied to the workshop or people who read statements by someone tied to the workshop or from a games journalism website that only read the statements from the people tied to the workshop.

I get that it's nice to be able to point to something and say "that's why Valve and Steam is bad for gaming!" but I think there is a lot more nuance to that workshop situation than a lot of people realize.

It's an opinion piece which we can post those. Can't be used as a reputable source for information though.
If anything, that's the exact opposite of what should be happening. Polygon's opinion articles are legendary for being an extremely unreputable source of information.

StereoVsn

There's hyperbole here but the main point is valid - people have an almost religious attachment to Valve and Steam, to the point where it hinders rational assessment of the alternatives.

I get the desire to have all your friends and games in one place, but Origin has become a pretty good client by itself these days. GOG is pretty good and I don't have any issues with the Windows Store for my Play Anywhere titles. I don't spend a lot of time in uPlay because I don't play many Ubi Soft games.

As long as the game is available on PC and I can redownload it each of my machines and sync my saves back and forth, I'm good. Every client seems to do that these days.
You don't have an issue with windows store which only sells keys through itself and allows no completion (Devs can't gen keys), actively blocks mods through the way it encrypts content and you complain about Steam?! Yeah...

Again, anyone, name a store platform for a huge variety of games that easily integrates modding and social features amongst other dev functionality for free and lets you gen keys for free. Here is the thing, it doesn't exist beside Steam, yet everyone conviniently ignores those points because "and I don't have any issues with the Windows Store for my Play Anywhere titles".

Top Bottom