• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJ bans smiles on driver licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Driver's license photos are notorious for capturing the worst side of a motorist's profile. But license photos in New Jersey may get a little worse after state officials said they had to forbid smiling widely in poses due to software issues.

A spokesman for the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission told the Philadelphia Daily News that smiling or making other facial expressions in driver's license photos confuses their new facial recognition software, which is designed to catch fraudsters looking to get a false ID card.

"That could be someone trying to steal someone else's identity to get insurance benefits, or someone trying to get out of a DUI by getting a license under another name," Mike Horan with the MVC said. "This helps us weed out fraud."

Horan told the newspaper that slight smiles are OK, but "Hey-I-won-the-lottery-type smiles" are not.

"To get an accurate photo, you don't want an excessively expressive face in the photo," Horan said.

Two other states, Pennsylvania and Delaware, also use the same facial software. However, Jan McKnight, a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation representative, said they haven't encountered a problem with smiling.

There was no word on how the software reacts to scowls over license renewal wait times.

Links:
HERE
AND HERE

gdt

Thats ok, I do all my licenses like this:

seriousthread4.gif

Clydefrog

I look like a fool in my CA driver's license. I was specifically told not to smile when sending in a passport photo as well. I thought this was just common knowledge.

People in New Jersey smile?

A late night comedian joked about this headline yesterday.

Leno: New Jersey has now banned smiling on drivers license photos. Did you hear about this? Have you heard about this?

Leno: Yeah, now when people go to get their picture taken at the DMV, instead of the clerk saying "smile" they will say "You live in NEW JERSEY!!" :(

KevinCow

Banned
Is this something that even happens? You're in New Jersy and at the DMV. That's like misery squared. Who could possibly smile in that situation?

Greg

I'm smiling real big in the one I took recently.

the girl taking it even said "you're not going to smile for me?"

Cagey

Banned
That's the New Jersey I know and love.

I'm upset that they are getting drivers licenses. Jersey drivers are complete ass.

We're great drivers, we're just hyper-aggressive and angry and vindictive and believe that "Jersey Roll" is the proper means of handling a stop sign.

Miles X

Last passport phot I took, I looked like a serial killer, was freaky. Anyway, can't smile here in photos since .. forever :-(

Indiana already does this - I can't wear my glasses either so I look all squinty.

Doesn't matter, I look like a serial killer when I fake-smile. Can't do it, and there's no way I can summon genuine good cheer at the DMV.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This seems like a general rule if not outright law anyway. But the DMV is probably the laziest place about enforcing policy that I've ever had experience with.

For example, I never had to pass my driving test because months after I took it the first time and failed for silly reasons, I decided to just walk up and ask for a license replacement. The DMV clerk charged me $15 and then printed an official state driver's license with my details and the picture from my permit and sent me on my way.

I was definitely smiling when I walked out.

Still can't parallel park though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dutch rules for id pictures:

pasfoto_gemeente_delft.jpg

Can't smile, can't cover your face, can't wear glasses that don't have clear glasses, must be centered, must be straight ahead, must have neatral background.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
A late night comedian joked about this headline yesterday.

Leno: New Jersey has now banned smiling on drivers license photos. Did you hear about this? Have you heard about this?

Leno: Yeah, now when people go to get their picture taken at the DMV, instead of the clerk saying "smile" they will say "You live in NEW JERSEY!!" :(

Conan made the same joke as well

Curufinwe

Can't do this with US passports either. I mean in regards to my license, if I've been waiting for 3 hrs, I ain't smiling in my photo

Everyone's going this way. No smiles allowed on NZ passports either.

Pose
• face the camera straight on, with your head straight,
eyes open and mouth closed
• maintain a neutral expression, not smiling or frowning
• ensure you have no hair across your face or eyes as
eyes must be clearly visible.

Majine

Banned
Dutch rules for id pictures:

pasfoto_gemeente_delft.jpg

Can't smile, can't cover your face, can't wear glasses that don't have clear glasses, must be centered, must be straight ahead, must have neatral background.

Wait, what's wrong with the upper second woman? Looks pretty centered to me, assuming that's what the dutch said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom