• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferny

It can still happen, believe me :p
Most of the GW1 guilds I was in wound up having some kind of drama, assigned loot and all. It's pretty much unavoidable though, whether the guild is pure GAF members or not. What you need is a neutral leader who doesn't get involved in that shit and penalizes people accordingly.
Edit: Boy did this thread get off topic pretty fast. Not so much about the press beta anymore.

I'll tell ya now, I dislike drama heavily. No matter what the circumstance, people should be able to figure out the issue and work it out among themselves. When it includes the guild and it's all over guild chat and people don't want to group with this person because they can't stand them for what they did in a prior group...that is just dumb. From what I can tell, at least from the people active in this thread, that won't be the case. It can always come up in game but at that point it will be handled.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It can still happen, believe me :p
Most of the GW1 guilds I was in wound up having some kind of drama, assigned loot and all. It's pretty much unavoidable though, whether the guild is pure GAF members or not. What you need is a neutral leader who doesn't get involved in that shit and penalizes people accordingly. Most drama comes from officers/leaders that suck.
Edit: Boy did this thread get off topic pretty fast. Not so much about the press beta anymore.

Well this discussion was going to come up eventually. Hopefully enough of us get into the beta to test out the guild structure and function to see if it works the way we want it to.

Retro

The people I would be bringing in are immediate family: my brothers and my wife. I have a few former guildmates from WoW but I have not mentioned anything to them yet. They are a family as well, though.

I am not crazy about putting restrictions on non-gaffers. Again, it's not fair to treat then like second class members when they have been vouched for.

KaoticBlaze

pretty much how i feel.

i know it sounds like its wrong, but whats to stop them from them emptying out our guild bank and putting it into their other guild bank assuming they are part of another guild. or just keeping the stuff for themselves or selling it. i mean, i know anyone of us could probably do the same thing but i doubt we would try and screw over our own community. theres a bigger chance of that happening with an outsider with full access to our guild bank.

Ferny

i know it sounds like its wrong, but whats to stop them from them emptying out our guild bank and putting it into their other guild bank assuming they are part of another guild. or just keeping the stuff for themselves or selling it. i mean, i know anyone of us could probably do the same thing but i doubt we would try and screw over our own community. theres a bigger chance of that happening with an outside with full access to our guild bank.

I don't see that as a problem because, im hoping, if a GAF member is referring that person, then they are not a can of worms waiting to happen. That sort of thing can happen in any guild though. Let's not make an assumption that they are bad just because they arn't a GAFer. There have been WoW guilds that have been together for years and years and then one bad raid happens and then the guild is wrecked so it can happen no matter who the person is.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
In a game that is all about co-operation and community, kicking someone out because they're not part of another community is detrimental. If anyone becomes a problem, you kick them out. It's that simple.

Word.

I'm all for having outside members join. More members means more opportunities to get things done.

As long as a GAF member vouches for them there shouldn't really be a discussion about it imo.

KaoticBlaze

I don't see that as a problem because, im hoping, if a GAF member is referring that person, then they are not a can of worms waiting to happen. That sort of thing can happen in any guild though. Let's not make an assumption that they are bad just because they arn't a GAFer. There have been WoW guilds that have been together for years and years and then one bad raid happens and then the guild is wrecked so it can happen no matter who the person is.

im not saying they are bad im just saying they should have more restrictions to the guild bank than a gaf member or no access at all and have to go through a gaf member to access say higher level loot or gold or something.

Vinci

Danish
i know it sounds like its wrong, but whats to stop them from them emptying out our guild bank and putting it into their other guild bank assuming they are part of another guild. or just keeping the stuff for themselves or selling it. i mean, i know anyone of us could probably do the same thing but i doubt we would try and screw over our own community. theres a bigger chance of that happening with an outsider with full access to our guild bank.

There's no way I can vouch for every gaffer that may play this game, nor would I ever want to be in the position to do so. There are tons of gaffers I don't know interested in this title, so there's no safety in 'Well they wouldn't want to screw over the whole community' - why? Because GAF membership is so innately valuable?

If there are restrictions placed on guild members, it should have less to do with those members' origins and more to do with overseeing the general well-being of the guild.

Retro

I don't think ANYONE, even officers, should have full access to the guild bank. No one should be able to clean it out except the GM. Members should be something like 5-10 items daily. Officers maybe triple that.

Additionally, anyone with more access than usual should be required to have additional account security, authenticators and whatnot.

Ashodin

So Retro do you know for sure what you and your wife is going? I want to have my girlfriend and I take opposite classes so we can all see how they work together.

Ferny

There's no way I can vouch for every gaffer that may play this game, nor would I ever want to be in the position to do so. There are tons of gaffers I don't know interested in this title, so there's no safety in 'Well they wouldn't want to screw over the whole community' - why? Because GAF membership is so innately valuable?

If there are restrictions placed on guild members, it should have less to do with those members' origins and more to do with overseeing the general well-being of the guild.

Very well said and mirrors my thoughts on the matter.

Vinci

Danish
I don't think ANYONE, even officers, should have full access to the guild bank. No one should be able to clean it out except the GM. Members should be something like 5-10 items daily. Officers maybe triple that.

I agree with this set-up. I would also suggest that the number of guild officers be kept at a bare minimum at release and grown based on activity and helpfulness thereafter. In essence, I'm suggesting that we don't begin the game with a ton of gaffers as officers, as it would invariably suggest some form of punishment or mitigation towards players from outside of GAF.

Arken2121

The one i'm in has a democracy set up within the high ranks, sort of like a round table if you will. No one person will have full power.

Ferny

The way it's setup now is sort of the way you described Vinci.

I'll be leading with Jira as co-leader now with Retro and Max as two officers as of this point. I do want to add a couple more people as officers because im expecting a lot of people interested and want enough officers on and available to help if needed. I also don't want an excessive amount of officers either but like you said, we can add more depending on how active they become and how well they help out other members.

Vinci

Danish
The way it's setup now is sort of the way you described Vinci.

I'll be leading with Jira as co-leader now with Retro and Max as two officers as of this point. I do want to add a couple more people as officers because im expecting a lot of people interested and want enough officers on and available to help if needed. I also don't want an excessive amount of officers either but like you said, we can add more depending on how active they become and how well they help out other members.

That sounds reasonable.

Vinci

Danish
I'll add some options, one way or another:

Ghetto Action Force
Gaming's Annoying Friends
Good and Fucked
Gathering All Females
Grin and Frolic

Ferny

GAF really? gaf?

NeoGAF [GAF]

Sounds perfect to me

Why does the name have to mean something or be something funny and witty? It's a GAF guild. We want to represent the site in game and its simple, to the point, and most people agreed it was the best option anyway.

Ghetto Action Force
Good and Fucked
Gathering All Females
Grin and Frolic

Best one of the five.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

Ghetto Action Force
Good and Fucked
Gathering All Females
Grin and Frolic
all these made me laugh. one of these has been done before.
Why does the name have to mean something or be something funny and witty? It's a GAF guild. We want to represent the site in game and its simple, to the point, and most people agreed it was the best option anyway.
its fun. we know its gonna be GAF, its just so delightful ^.^

As for all that about nongaffers, you do realize that a guild is a great way to expose others to NeoGAF and the only difference between them and us is the wait for the mods to approve them. We've had multiple ppl in the Imperial GAF guild that are not GAFers but are waiting for approval.

I concede that if there are more members than there is space in the maximum guild limit, then yes GAFers should get priority, but if there's space, why not let them in?

Vano

I'm all for allowing non-gaffers in the guild, more people = more fun and opportunities. Only requirement IMO its they follow the rules and behave well like every member of the guild.

About the name we can make a vote using a survey or something like that, i like the simpleness of NeoGAF(GAF) tho.

And the press beta videos should be used to teach people what not to do :D

Vinci

Danish
Gentlemen and Fiends
Generals of Awkward Fun
Generic Angry Face
Generally Against Furries
Gone and Forgotten
Griefers Against Friendship
Gods of All Fiction

nataku

I like the idea of a GAF acronym, personally. I understand people wanting the guild to represent GAF, considering the vast majority of people will be from here. Even if we do end up going with neoGAF with the GAF tag I'm ok with it. I just think using an acronym adds a bit more personality to the guild name.

I'm not sure what the minimum number of characters are needed for guilds in the game, but I was also thinking of going something like guild name: neo tag: GAF. I think acronyms based on neo with the tag GAF would be kind of neat, too, and still fit the whole neoGAF name.

Not Exactly Ordinary
New Elite Order
Not Even Organized

I don't think it's really necessary to decide on a name just yet. We still have quite a ways to go before release.

Just my thoughts on it.

PewPewK

Pretty much this.

We're supposed to represent NeoGAF, why is NeoGAF not a good enough name?

J-Rzez

I like where this topic has went. One of the most important "little things" to me, dances. Maybe Anet can do a "Dance Studio" where you can either create, or just even "buy" new dances for your toon. Some other developer was going to do a dance studio before, but they failed as usual to deliver.

Yes though, I'd be fine buying more dances at a cash shop. Sad to say.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I like the idea of a GAF acronym, personally. I understand people wanting the guild to represent GAF, considering the vast majority of people will be from here. Even if we do end up going with neoGAF with the GAF tag I'm ok with it. I just think using an acronym adds a bit more personality to the guild name.

I'm not sure what the minimum number of characters are needed for guilds in the game, but I was also thinking of going something like guild name: neo tag: GAF. I think acronyms based on neo with the tag GAF would be kind of neat, too, and still fit the whole neoGAF name.

Not Exactly Ordinary
New Elite Order
Not Even Organized

I don't think it's really necessary to decide on a name just yet. We still have quite a ways to go before release.

Just my thoughts on it.
I really think we should worry about the name first. That way we can make sure we get it before anyone else.

Vinci

Danish
Nataku has a point:

Never Ending Orgies
Nubile and Exotic Officers
Neutered Eunuchs Organization
Newly Elected Organ-donors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom