• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 7 is a piece of shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just lost an hour of work in Flash because of some fucking Windows update. I had NO alert whatsoever of ANY update downloading, and NO pop up window of any kind asking me if I wanted to restart. Then suddenly I have a dialog box open in Flash asking me if I want to save my project and before I even know what the fuck is going on I accidentally hit cancel. Not that it would have even mattered because I watched all of my other programs give me the "chance" to save and the dialog boxes would disappear in a matter of two quick seconds barely giving me a chance to click "yes."

Also fucking pissed because I'm used to Adobe Premiere Pro's auto saving feature every so often. Apparently Flash doesn't have that shit...or I don't have it on, don't know but still. Fucking pissed.

/rant

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Your thread title is factually incorrect.

Sucks about the Flash work though, turn off Auto Install updates.

Swag

Isn't there a dialog box that opens at the bottom right that gives you like 10 minutes before updates are installed? Also an option to postpone / restart now to install updates, can never remember Windows automatically updating unless the timer on the box runs out.

If your running Flash in full screen, ignore the above text (Sorry about your work though)

Bricfa

Dude same thing just happened to me in Vista. Except I was watching a netflix movie. Fortunately netflix saved my spot. But boy was I pissed that I had to wait for it to reboot and install.

adelante

What flash version is this? I've always been hesitant on using even the latest Adobe or other creative apps on a new OS...I remember encountering some weird shit when I was using AcidPro on Vista when the latter just came out...wasn't until a while before those kinks were ironed out if i recall correctly

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
You have issues with the first decent Windows release in just under a decade?

b5cee

Sebulon3k said:
Isn't there a dialog box that opens at the bottom right that gives you like 10 minutes before updates are installed? Also an option to postpone / restart now to install updates, can never remember Windows automatically updating unless the timer on the box runs out.

If your running Flash in full screen, ignore the above text (Sorry about your work though)

I thought this as well... I thought I remembered it happening in the past but I didn't see any such box just before. All of a sudden all of my programs that were open started closing all around me and I was like "WTF DID I PRESS"

If anyone can tell me how to turn off auto updating that would be a good start.

adelante said:
What flash version is this? I've always been hesitant on using even the latest Adobe or other creative apps on a new OS...I remember encountering some weird shit when I was using AcidPro on Vista when the latter just came out...wasn't until a while before those kinks were ironed out if i recall correctly

CS3

C.Dark.DN

Banned
i don't have windows 7. but, it's common knowledge that windows updates require restarts and that the computer is going to have presettings regarding automatic updates. so, considering this is a dev machine, you should have set it to your preference i.e. ask you before downloading and ask to install.

but, windows xp gives a restart timer and the ability to cancel at times. it also asks if i want to restart now or later at times. . so, i don't know about that aspect.

WickedAngel said:
What kind of programmer does an hour of work without saving intermittently?

1) I'm not a programmer

2) Like I said, I am used to auto-saving (I have it set to every 20 minutes) in Premiere Pro when I edit, so I lost the habit of saving every so often apparently. Also I'm tired and was really focused on what I was doing.

DeathNote said:
i don't have windows 7. but, it's common knowledge that windows updates require restarts and that the computer is going to have presettings regarding automatic updates. so, considering this is a dev machine, you should have set it to your preference i.e. ask you before downloading and ask to install.

but, windows xp gives a restart timer and the ability to cancel. so, i don't know about that aspect.

I am used to Windows XP (skipped Vista) and yeah I remember it being automatically set to giving me the ability to "restart later" or whatever. I had no reason to believe that the presets for W7 was otherwise, but now I know.

Weenerz said:
Windows 7 sucks because you hit cancel when prompted to save? :lol

I thought I accidentally hit the X on the top right or something. There's no other explanation in my mind for the program to suddenly act like it is quitting unless it is not responding or crashes, which there was no indication of happening. Cancel wouldn't have normally closed the program out, it would just let me get back to working. Also, it was the type of thing where I basically accidentally clicked. I didn't even have time to process WTF was happening, it popped up and I accidentally clicked and then thought "oh no big deal I hit "cancel" not "no" so...WAIT WTF"

7 isn't preset any differently than it has been since XP; I just diverted some update last night. It's the same as it has always been; it pops up over the bottom right corner of your task bar, informs you of an update, and allows you to set the time to restart.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I am used to Windows XP (skipped Vista) and yeah I remember it being automatically set to giving me the ability to "restart later" or whatever. I had no reason to believe that the presets for W7 was otherwise, but now I know.
I think I turned of automatic updating cause it pissed me off when it kept popping up wanting to restart ever few minutes and I didn't want to yet.

Every-time I do the updates manually it asks me if I want to restart.While it's fun to poke fun at you, I'd personally assume it'd be the same in Vista and 7.

But, I also forgot how it acts when it set on automatic updates. I kind of vaguely remember it just shutting down by itself without me allowing, but maybe that was from some other reason.

I just checked and found that yes, it was set to "automatically install updates." So I changed it to "automatically download but give me the option to install."

Lame that it's set to automatically fuck your shit up, but at least learned my lesson with a loss that could have been much worse.

goomba

Banned
Snow Leopard is worse, Iv had one random system reset when watching a movie in Quicktime and one of these :

kernelpanic.jpg

Im thinking about trying Windows 7 on my Macbook...

Trax416 said:
So it prompted you, you hit cancel, and yet Windows 7 sucks.

Get a Mac.

Like I said in the OP, which others seem to be missing, unless I hit "save" lightning fast which I probably wouldn't have since I would have sat there wondering why I was being asked to save suddenly when I didn't think I pressed anything, I would have lost my shit anyway because my other programs that were running gave the same prompt and basically gave me little more than 1 second to react and click save before it decided to close them for me and jump straight to the restart step.

Also I'm typically used to "cancel" canceling any system restart operation or any operation for that matter... It's not like I clicked "no".

Purkake4 said:

Did you really think I expected to have people agree with me? I was venting and I don't actually think Windows 7 is a piece of shit, but I think the decision to preset auto-install updates is a piece of shit decision.

But feel free to make fun all you want I was asking for it with the thread title.

Firebrand

Weenerz said:
Windows 7 sucks because you hit cancel when prompted to save? :lol

Generally, pressing Cancel will abort whatever operation that is trying to close the app such as system shutdown.

tabsina

MisterAnderson said:

Windows 7 should give you the same option by default, if you thought you accidentally closed the flash program - you could also have simply accidentally hit enter when it asked if you wanted to restart now or later - though even then you would have had to manually make that window active.. I very much doubt that the preset on yours (I'm 90% sure it hasn't been changed on mine) is for it to restart without any warning whatsoever

On a pro-side, in Windows 7 you can also tell it "how much later" you want to be reminded.. which is a feature that I don't think was possible (without regedit or something, can't remember what I did when I was using xp) on XP.. though I don't know how vista worked, I also skipped that

Purkake4

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Did you really think I expected to have people agree with me? I was venting and I don't actually think Windows 7 is a piece of shit, but I think the decision to preset auto-install updates is a piece of shit decision.

But feel free to make fun all you want I was asking for it with the thread title.

This is such a non-thread. Don't you have twitter or livejournal?

E-phonk

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Yeah, I had some updates today, and I got a warning that I had to reboot. I postponed it for 4 hours.

MisterAnderson said:

It doesn't do that. It asks you how you want to handle updates in the OS installation...it was probably just another dialog box that you didn't read.

WickedAngel said:
It doesn't do that. It asks you how you want to handle updates in the OS installation...it was probably just another dialog box that you didn't read.

The way I described it in the OP is the way that it happened. I would have noticed a prompt asking me to restart and I don't recall hitting "enter" near the time that this all occurred so I don't believe that I accidentally told it to do anything (although it's admittedly possible).

You're acting like I'm some kind of brain dead idiot who clicked "no." I hit "cancel." Open a program, make a change in it, hit "close" and then hit "cancel." Get back to me with the results.

I haven't looked carefully at W7's updates, but in Vista they are the most retarded thing ever.

First it alerts you of updates... That they're either there, or already downloaded, or already installed, I have no idea. It's a disaster to look up what those updates are for. But alas, I take it for granted. It asks me to restart. I do not want to restart, thank you very much.

So I say it has to remind me in 4 hours (because longer is apparently not possible). One time I was playing a game and that message popped up again, after 4 hours. But I didn't see it, because I had the game on fullscreen. Then, Vista decides it's time for me to quit. The screen turns blank. I'm all WTF. Then, my game exits. "Oh, must be a crash or something..." Except that it happily continues on to shutdown the entire OS.

Then the shutdown screen appears, saying "Installing updates now... x%". Apparently it didn't already install them. Ok, whatever. Then, when you start it up again, IT GIVES THE SAME SCREEN. Why does it have to install everything THREE TIMES?!

Makes Ubuntu's update process feel like a relaxing walk in the park.

[/rant]

I've lost my work enough times to be completely paranoid though. I'm constantly pressing Ctrl+S when working on something. :lol

CTLance

Man, those random reboots suck. Normally there should be that popup where you can delay it for up to four hours, but sometimes, very rarely, something goes awry. At least that's my experience under Vista.

A short while ago it rebooted when I was in the middle of a Dawn of War 2 mission, without any warning. It's OK, I was losing quite badly, but still... stuff like that should not happen. I think there are still some bugs. Fullscreen games do occasionally hide the popup, sometimes it comes to the front but isn't drawn correctly, stuff like that. We need a fixed OS overlay.

It can be pretty inconvenient even when it works as intended. I went for a quick snack, came back to an empty desktop with the "I just rebooted lol" popup. Thank god Openoffice autosaves frequently. I wish I could set the countdown to one hour, not ten minutes. OK, maybe 30 minutes. Something longer than what it takes me to fetch a soda and take the dog for a walk.

Oh well, it does enforce the "save early, save often" mindset, which is a healthy one.

WickedAngel said:
I know the results; I've used a computer before.

Well then you'd probably be pissed too if the results you "know" should happen, didn't happen and as a result you lost some work.

Suitcase Test said:
I've lost my work enough times to be completely paranoid though. I'm constantly pressing Ctrl+S when working on something. :lol

CTLance said:
Oh well, it does enforce the "save early, save often" mindset, which is a healthy one.

This is how I was until I was spoiled with Premiere's auto-save feature (recently got a video editing job so have been spending a lot of time in there) Learned my lesson again that's for sure.

And yeah, I am assuming I probably was meant to be alerted, but because Flash was in fullscreen I wasn't able to see the little timer shit on the bottom.

If you guys hate it so much, just set it so that you choose when to download and which updates to install. There's a setting for that. A little icon will pop up and tell you when there is new stuff, but it's all on you when you want to do it. You just gotta not be lazy about updating your computer which is why automatic update exists. Most users out there wouldn't update on their own so that's why automatic is default.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So first you enable automatic updates in your Windows 7 installation.

Then, when you are confronted with an update, you are presented with an option to save your Flash-work. You click Cancel, Windows forces the program to close (which is a logical consequence).

And now you're on GAF blaming Windows for something you did.

Way to go man!

neorej said:
So first you enable automatic updates in your Windows 7 installation.

Automatic update downloads and installation are two different things. I don't recall ever enabling any type of auto-installation. The way I had figured auto-updating works with Windows (since I had been using XP and it's how it worked...) was that it would auto-download then give me the option to install it now or later (via restart). If I enabled "automatic update" I assumed (and had reason to) that it would not automatically INSTALL but simply automatically DOWNLOAD. I checked my settings just before, and it was set to automatically install. Oops.

Then, when you are confronted with an update, you are presented with an option to save your Flash-work. You click Cancel, Windows forces the program to close (which is a logical consequence).

I was never confronted with an update. If I was, it was blocked by Flash being fullscreen.

And now you're on GAF blaming Windows for something you did.

I blame myself for waiting for so long to save, but not for clicking cancel. As I was not prompted with any restart notification it was a logical assumption on my part that clicking "cancel" would simply allow me to continue with what I was doing without fear of losing my work.

Way to go man!

Thanks! At least I learned my lesson, right?

fistfulofmetal said:
l I had to do the same update last night. Didn't force me to. It updated when I turned my computer off. I think you're lying.

I'm not.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh man, i remember when a retard at work did exactly what you did and our it department had to investigate an entire other method to roll out windows updates that wouldn't bring the 'do you want to restart now' prompt which spaz face somehow clicked yes to, THEN CLICKED CANCEL on the save prompts. That's right, we actually investigated downloading windows updates, then using other software to push out those updates.

It makes me so angry just thinking about it that I wish the OP lost an entire novel he was writing. I realise thats not rational, but this story cuts close to the bone.

MIMIC

Banned
Never blame your problems on beloved programs/applications at GAF. It's like messing with a beehive full of bee nerds.

Now, if you were complaining about an earlier version of IE....

Mar

In this thread, 90% of gaffers will laugh at the OP and claim user error, yet do the same thing themselves and knock over all the racks in the store.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
MIMIC said:
Never blame your problems on beloved programs/applications at GAF.

especially if the program is beloved because it's actually great and the anger is due to blatant and avoidable fault of your own.

Mar

catfish said:
especially if the program is beloved because it's actually great and the anger is due to blatant and avoidable fault of your own.

People like you shouldn't work in IT. Your head is so far up your own ass you can't empathise with the non technical users. You know, the customers who are the reason you have a job in the first place.

Even if the user could have avoided the loss of data in this situation, how is it reasonable behaviour for an OS to automatically reboot when it is clearly being used?

Same thing happened to me last night. There definitely is something wrong with the behavior of Windows Update in 7. I was playing OFP last night and my PC reboot in the middle of the game to do a Windows Update. Usually it should have at least minimized the game and put up a dialog asking if you want to reboot now or do it manually later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom