• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DualShock 4

chadskin

"For the analog sticks, we did test having the analog sticks on top, since the Xbox has the left side on top [above the D-pad]," Sony's Toshimasa Aoki said. "Especially from the shooter teams--we got feedback that that's what they wanted. They knew that consumers liked the 360 for shooters."

Sony experimented with every possible combination of stick placement, even going so far as prototyping a controller with both analog sticks on top--much like the Wii U Pro Controller (above). However, Sony discovered that it didn't work.

Ultimately, "tradition" was what won out at Sony, with Aoki saying symmetrical sticks are part of the company's DNA. "The prototype team, myself, and also the management team really felt that having this look is the PlayStation look, and we had to keep that."

Source - via Shacknews

Shock if old.

Amir0x

Banned
Even though I never had a problem with symmetrical sticks (more the loose-ness and closeness of the sticks), "tradition" is a really stupid reason to make a critical design choice. "It simply works the best" should be the only consideration for a game controller.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's a pity. The Xbox controller layout is much more comfortable.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I regularly use both controllers, it makes absolutely no difference

Fracas

#fuckonami
I wish there was an official DS4 with asymmetrical sticks. I may end up grabbing a third party controller.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
As long as they feel good, I don't care. I've always preferred the Xbox controllers over the Playstation ones, but it sounds like the Dualshock 4 is a huge improvement.

Orayn

Layout isn't a huge sticking point for me, but it still would have been neat if they released an asymmetrical version. The Controller S and Duke briefly coexisted on the original Xbox, right?

Pagusas

Elden Member
They made the wrong choice, they even basically admitted it. Tradition won out over the better implementation. Oh well can't win them all, and they've done enough other good stuff that I'm not going to complain, just suck it up and get use to it.

Pain

Banned
Tradition over functionality? BOOOOOO!

Still excited to try the controller, though. Heard good things.
So you're saying the stick layout is nonfunctional?

If they put the analog stick where the D-pad is it would be harder to use the touchpad.

Rizsparky

Glad they stuck with it, I'm pretty sure third party controllers can cater for gamers who prefer asymmetrical sticks.

AkIRA_22

Should've had both versions.

It really wouldn't kill them to make an official asymmetrical controller for those that want it. Pack in the standard one with the console, that way they have to buy a second controller at the full retail price... is anyone at Sony listening? I just gave you free money

artist

Banned
Glad they stuck to the old configuration.
Symmetrical > Asymmetrical so thank you Sony
good decision. i prefer them that way.
They made the right choice.
I'm glad they kept it the way it's always been.
They made the correct decision!
Thanks god.
I prefer my controllers like I prefer my hands; symmetrical.
Thank you Sony, for keeping the superior design.
Thank God they kept the symmetrical sticks.

They made the right decision.
Glad they sticked with it. Asymmetrical is just atrocious and feels unnatural.
Best decision.

sublimit

Banned
I'm really glad they kept the symmetrical sticks.Always hated the asymmetrical sticks on GC and xbox controllers.

Frillen

In this thread it's easy to see who loves FPSs and who doesn't. Try playing Call of Duty with a 360 controller for a few days, then switch over to the PS3 controller and play Call of Duty with that. It's like hell times 10.

Rey

So they went for looks on a contoller ha.... Amazing

Wish they chose to bring 2 versions.

Would have preferred 360 style but just glad they didn't do the sticks on top like Wii U. I can play games with the Wii U controller but I never feel comfortable about it.

h1nch

I've always preferred the Xbox style, but its not a strong preference TBH. Both layouts work well.

I'm more interested in how the sticks are shaped, and how much resistance they give, as those were the two things that made me dislike the DS3, along with the shape of the trigger buttons and the overall shape of the controller.

Haven't held one for myself but from pictures it looks like they addressed all of those things (I've heard that the sticks are a bit more resistant. Is this true?)

Either way, I'm really jones'ing to try both controllers out for myself.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Even though I never had a problem with symmetrical sticks (more the loose-ness and closeness of the sticks), "tradition" is a really stupid reason to make a critical design choice. "It simply works the best" should be the only consideration for a game controller.

Yeah, I don't care either way how the sticks are laid out, but I would be interested to hear more about the testing and feedback process.

Top Bottom