• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

After many more pains in the ass than needed, finally got my LotR LCG core set. Spent a chunk of tonight watching Giant Bomb and digesting the rules.

Too late to play tonight, but will give it a solo play tomorrow. Genuinely excited.

Edit: The store I went to pick it up at had the other LCGs but mostly dominated by Star Wars and Game of Thrones. There were literally only two LotR expansions out, barely any Netrunner, and no Arkham. Is this because SW & Game of Thrones are more popular, or is it the inverse (no product because of good sales)?

I bet it's varies greatly from place to place.

Ryuukan

Edit: The store I went to pick it up at had the other LCGs but mostly dominated by Star Wars and Game of Thrones. There were literally only two LotR expansions out, barely any Netrunner, and no Arkham. Is this because SW & Game of Thrones are more popular, or is it the inverse (no product because of good sales)?

I bet it's varies greatly from place to place.

Pretty much every piece of arkham lcg I've bought in a store has been the last copy they had except for the latest mythos pack

every shopkeeper tells me it's backordered to hell

Just played some Sagrada, pretty neat and simple dice drafting game. Lot more strategy than you think for something so stupid simple. Fun getting stuck in the game too

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty much every piece of arkham lcg I've bought in a store has been the last copy they had except for the latest mythos pack

every shopkeeper tells me it's backordered to hell
Yeah alcg is totally blowing up. I try to get to my store close to release so I can get the two copies I need every month. Netrunner is almost dead though. Don't know about lotr. ffg supply situation is weird you really can't divine anything from it without knowing the reason for the scarcity.

sneaky77

Yeah alcg is totally blowing up. I try to get to my store close to release so I can get the two copies I need every month. Netrunner is almost dead though. Don't know about lotr. ffg supply situation is weird you really can't divine anything from it without knowing the reason for the scarcity.

they won't let you preorder with them and just hold them for you every month?

Just tried to play Aeon's End in solo. I think I've made a huge mistake because I've tried "true" solo, so with only one mage, using the market suggested in the "first time playing guide", I guess that's the recipe for a disaster.
I left a bit disappointed, but I guess it's normal since I've not played the game "normally", so with at least 2 players that can give benefit to each other.
Also, it's probably because I don't know the game, but it feels like combos aren't really possible?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was trying to find SOME Descent stuff at my local stores and there was hardly anything. Apparently in a few months stores are going to have to go through Asmodee Canada,.which I haven't heard good things about.

Blizzard

Banned
Hooray, the Amazon copy of Oh My Goods has the new version 1.4 rules!

Thanks again for the recommendation. I'm excited to try it out.

chifanpoe

Just tried to play Aeon's End in solo. I think I've made a huge mistake because I've tried "true" solo, so with only one mage, using the market suggested in the "first time playing guide", I guess that's the recipe for a disaster.
I left a bit disappointed, but I guess it's normal since I've not played the game "normally", so with at least 2 players that can give benefit to each other.
Also, it's probably because I don't know the game, but it feels like combos aren't really possible?

Yes, true solo would be pretty tough in Aeon's. I always use two mages when playing solo. Combos depend on what is in the market and what mages are in play. Also make sure you have the correct number of enemy cards out per each level. My first few games were entirely too easy as I had all the level 1 cards out in the enemy deck. The Rageborn is also the easiest guy so I would start with him.

Yes, true solo would be pretty tough in Aeon's. I always use two mages when playing solo. Combos depend on what is in the market and what mages are in play. Also make sure you have the correct number of enemy cards out per each level. My first few games were entirely too easy as I had all the level 1 cards out in the enemy deck. The Rageborn is also the easiest guy so I would start with him.

I'll try again with some friend!
On another note, I've noticed that I enjoy cooperative games, Marvel Legendary is on the list but too pricey at the moment, I was looking at Pandemic and seeing some plays it seems nice, do you guys think it's a good purchase?

Karkador

Banned
On another note, I've noticed that I enjoy cooperative games, Marvel Legendary is on the list but too pricey at the moment, I was looking at Pandemic and seeing some plays it seems nice, do you guys think it's a good purchase?

Pandemic is excellent. It's highly replayable, and is streamlined really well while still being a challenge.

I would recommend Robinson Crusoe. Marvel Legendary does go on sale every once in a while.

Well played my first LotR LCG game tonight and won!

Did the easy quest but felt good about it since I was double checking everything I was doing. I missed like 2 or 3 little details on my quest, but nothing that changed the game too crazy.

I want to replay the same quest a few more times, but I already like what I am playing ^_^

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently there was another English print run of Feast for Odin. I still think it's a great solo game and probably one of Uwe Rosenberg's finest works, definitely worth picking up even if you own something like Agricola.

I'm trying to finally start up the solo challenge scenarios again every couple of weeks. If anyone new picked up the game, take a look and see if you'd like to play along: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-solo-competition-new-challenge-s/page/1

Apparently there was another English print run of Feast for Odin. I still think it's a great solo game and probably one of Uwe Rosenberg's finest works, definitely worth picking up even if you own something like Agricola.

I'm trying to finally start up the solo challenge scenarios again every couple of weeks. If anyone new picked up the game, take a look and see if you'd like to play along: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-solo-competition-new-challenge-s/page/1

I believe there is yet another reprint a couple of weeks or a month or so away too. Several stores in NA have been given this shipment. Another print is happening soon.

ETA in Australia is June 15.

There is still no ETA on the Robinson Crusoe reprint, which is kind of a pain.

Played and won my first game of Forbidden Island, solo with two characters. :D
FeJtCwy.png

Wish they sold a deluxe version of the game with a better flying machine model.

Karkador

Banned
Well played my first LotR LCG game tonight and won!

Did the easy quest but felt good about it since I was double checking everything I was doing. I missed like 2 or 3 little details on my quest, but nothing that changed the game too crazy.

I want to replay the same quest a few more times, but I already like what I am playing ^_^

Nice, I lost a lot of games before finally winning one :p Which deck did you use?

I picked up and played Ethnos today. The game looks boring as shit, but it's really good. The game is essentially what would happen if Ticket to Ride was an area control game. It's really rules light but it's a smart design and a damn fun game to play.

I picked up and played Ethnos today. The game looks boring as shit, but it's really good. The game is essentially what would happen if Ticket to Ride was an area control game. It's really rules light but it's a smart design and a damn fun game to play.

It really is a shame about the honestly kinda ugly board and generic theme as everyone I've played it with has really enjoyed it.

Nice, I lost a lot of games before finally winning one :p Which deck did you use?

I used the leadership deck. Played two times today with the Tactics deck... Holy shit that deck seems like there's alot of holes in it. Good cards but needs some customizing to fix the problems I had with it... Not to mention the to games I was getting the problem of a pile of sites popping up with no way to clear them >_<

I'm starting to think I'll enjoy building mostly leadership decks, or a mix or something. I need to play a few more quests to know, but yeah.

Also Gandalf is a lifesaver always, just like the books ^_^

EYEL1NER

I decided to hop on some of those deals from Amazon yesterday. My brain has been occupied with X-Wing and Armada and I haven't even been to my local board game night in like three weeks but I couldn't pass up the prices. I got Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper and West-End Adventures for $29.99 and 7 Wonders Duel for $17.99.

I've owned the vanilla Consulting Detective (I think it's a 2014 printing?) for a while and really want to play it, but it's been untouched for a while. I am irritated over the errors and the only fix being to print low-quality errata sheets myself. I opened it to inventory it when I got it, or else I would have tried to sell it during its most-recent time as OOP and put the money towards a newer printing (hell, earlier in the year selling my copy could have paid for a newer errorless printing AND the Jack/West-End box, with some money to spare). I am really eager to play Consulting Detective but buying the Jack/West-End box is pretty much the only way I'll get to try it, until Ystari/Asmodee starts offering purchasable high-quality errata for the first game.
It's been 3+ years since I tried 7 Wonders and I still don't have fond memories of it (my copy has been unpunched for about three years too) but someone showed me their copy last month and gave me a quick explanation of how the game is setup and played. It looked like a game my wife might like and it seemed like it would be easy to explain, so I decided I wanted it at that time.

Cerity

Played through the other gods in Eldritch horror and they've definitely took the game up a few notches for me. Going around and actually being able to solve encounters is a lot more fun then getting boned sideways by multiple rumours preventing you from doing much (Azathoth). The god's themselves contributing to the games flow and mechanics is great too, I finally got it after playing through a round with Cthulhu. Only complaint now is the character variety, some of them just don't seem worth choosing.

Going to be chasing up forsaken lore and mountains of madness now. Or maybe just jump on the Arkham LCG if any stores around me actually get stock...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Played the first non-tutorial mission of the Imperial Assault core box on Friday. Pretty great game. Definitely miniature lite (and skirmish lite as well), but as with most things FFG, what is lacks in depth and complexity it makes up for in theme. Definitely lots of ability to combo stuff together.. for both the Imperial and Rebel players. I need to get out of the mind set though that I am the GM. I took Subversive Tactics as my class and really held back on punishing the Rebels. I hate being the GM who every time the players try something you're there to pull something out that causes them to fail. However in IA campaign, I am realizing that it's nearly impossible to fail. The mission will always resolve and you will always move on to the next mission. You might not get the best possible resolution, but even in the spirit of the movies, the OT heroes certainly didn't always get the best possible resolution.

Most importantly the group loved it and is already trying to figure out when over the next week or two we can maybe get two more missions in one night. Pretty much makes it a win all around.

Neverfade

Fuji Flush is good shit. One dude won all 5 games we played though, what a streak.

Question for Karkador, resident Maskman: Players can keep playing 3 wrestlers on top of each other as long as the wrestlers they're playing are established as stronger than the one below it right?

I.E. just because one person plays three wrestler doesn't necessarily mean the pile is cleared yet?

Karkador

Banned
Question for Karkador, resident Maskman: Players can keep playing 3 wrestlers on top of each other as long as the wrestlers they're playing are established as stronger than the one below it right?

I.E. just because one person plays three wrestler doesn't necessarily mean the pile is cleared yet?

Right

Last night we have small game night and we played Le Havre. This was the first time I played this and I am not sure if I really like it. I much prefer Feast for Odin if we are going to play Uwe game. We played Broom Service after dinner and that was much more enjoyable.

On another note, anyone here play Chip Theory's games and what are your thoughts on Too Many Bones.

I've bought Pandemic (last copy in all my city) and had 2 games, one with 3 players (lost) and one with 2 (won).
I think I was very lucky this second game because one of the roles was the researcher, so trading cards was very easy, Also, having only 2 players meant that the distribution of the cards was only between us, making trading easier. All this plus the fact that we drew like 5 yellow cards in the first turn in atlanta and the yellow disease was instantly cured.

EYEL1NER

Played the first non-tutorial mission of the Imperial Assault core box on Friday. Pretty great game. Definitely miniature lite (and skirmish lite as well), but as with most things FFG, what is lacks in depth and complexity it makes up for in theme. Definitely lots of ability to combo stuff together.. for both the Imperial and Rebel players. I need to get out of the mind set though that I am the GM. I took Subversive Tactics as my class and really held back on punishing the Rebels. I hate being the GM who every time the players try something you're there to pull something out that causes them to fail. However in IA campaign, I am realizing that it's nearly impossible to fail. The mission will always resolve and you will always move on to the next mission. You might not get the best possible resolution, but even in the spirit of the movies, the OT heroes certainly didn't always get the best possible resolution.

Most importantly the group loved it and is already trying to figure out when over the next week or two we can maybe get two more missions in one night. Pretty much makes it a win all around.
Congrats. Wish I could play it. I have owned it since shortly after it came out but have yet to try it. I found out a month ago that two people in my game group tried Descent 1E several years ago and hated it, so my copies of Descent 1E, Descent 2E, Doom, Gears of War, and Imperial Assault will be unplayed for a while. An Imperial Assault companion app can't come soon enough.

Palmer_v1

Back from Geekway now. Played a lot of stuff, but my favorites were probably Great Western Trail and Last Friday. Roll Players and Potion Explosion seemed to be huge favorites for a lot of people. I know the potion explosion creator is on gaf so I'll say that I wish the marble quality was better.

My group of 7 won Great Western Trail, The Networks, Last Friday, Biotix, V-Commandos, and Dead Last, in addition to the free door prize games. Pretty good luck.

ultron87

Since event reg is next weekend, my group is working on our list of games for Gen Con! Current stuff we've got as potentials are Aeon's End War Eternal (I really like original AE), Mag-o-Mag, Campy Creatures, BEEEEEES!, Detective: City of Angels, and Dinosaur Island. Then a bunch of RPG one shots, plus the best convention game, Two Rooms and a Boom.

The world of possibilities from that event list is always very fun, even though we of course won't get everything we want. I think we're gonna skip on True Dungeon this year since it's now over 60 dollars and there are too many variables that can make that fun or not. I'm also mulling over whether I want to try one of the mega-game type things since a few of those are getting run there. I've always wanted to try one since that Shut Up & Sit Down video.

Potion Explostion seemed to be huge favorites for a lot of people. I know the potion explosion creator is on gaf so I'll say that I wish the marble quality was better.

I concur. Awesome game, a hit with everyone I've played it with. I've also just took an Amazon refund hit trying to buy replacement marbles for the game

The out-of-the-box marbles vary in size and some have big holes. Without traveling to a hobby store, the only place I've looked so far was Amazon. I should have been a bit more diligent

Palmer_v1

Since event reg is next weekend, my group is working on our list of games for Gen Con! Current stuff we've got as potentials are Aeon's End War Eternal (I really like original AE), Mag-o-Mag, Campy Creatures, BEEEEEES!, Detective: City of Angels, and Dinosaur Island. Then a bunch of RPG one shots, plus the best convention game, Two Rooms and a Boom.

The world of possibilities from that event list is always very fun, even though we of course won't get everything we want. I think we're gonna skip on True Dungeon this year since it's now over 60 dollars and there are too many variables that can make that fun or not. I'm also mulling over whether I want to try one of the mega-game type things since a few of those are getting run there. I've always wanted to try one since that Shut Up & Sit Down video.

What is Aeon's End? My buddy bought it at Geekway but we haven't played it yet. Never heard of it.

I concur. Awesome game, a hit with everyone I've played it with. I've also just took an Amazon refund hit trying to buy replacement marbles for the game

The out-of-the-box marbles vary in size and some have big holes. Without traveling to a hobby store, the only place I've looked so far was Amazon. I should have been a bit more diligent

Yea I bought all new marbles online. Ones in the box had a ton of deformities and missing chunks.

ultron87

What is Aeon's End? My buddy bought it at Geekway but we haven't played it yet. Never heard of it.

It's a co-op deckbuilder. The most interesting mechanical part is that you never shuffle your deck when you run out of cards, instead you just flip your discard pile over, so you can stack your deck in a way by playing cards in an ideal order. As a fan of deckbuilders, I enjoy it a lot.

Palmer_v1

It's a co-op deckbuilder. The most interesting mechanical part is that you never shuffle your deck when you run out of cards, instead you just flip your discard pile over, so you can stack your deck in a way by playing cards in an ideal order. As a fan of deckbuilders, I enjoy it a lot.

Oh, interesting. Does that mean every card is double sided?

zulux21

Oh, interesting. Does that mean every card is double sided?

nah they are single sided, thus you have to remember how to played things.

and it also means you have to be a bit anal with how you discard cards otherwise you will be cheating.

that being said the balance has been solid through the number of times I played it. and while I love how turn order is done. A deck of cards shuffled to randomize turns each round. it can also lead to some really really nasty moments when all of the boss cards end up on the end of the round deck and then the top of the next round.

turn order in more detail.

with 3 players the deck has 1 card for each player, and 1 wild card that any player can take a turn and then 2 boss cards. thus in this case you can have a round where all the players take their turn first which will put you in a safe place, but leave you little ability to react to the boss taking two turns in a row. and if he has another turn or two in the next round you can go from winning easily to basically dead since you didn't have a chance to react since the boss has direct attack cards, and strong power cards that take time to go off based on how many turns he takes (usually 2-3) where players can do things to stop them on their turn but they are very very strong and if you run into a number of them in a row without stopping them it can be super painful.

EYEL1NER

What did you end up getting? I'd like to look into that. Also, if you're crazy enough, there are 3D plans for a wooden replacement of the board itself!
I can't speak as to what marbles he used but LandofMarbles is a common place to source some from:
http://www.landofmarbles.com/mega-marble-nets.html
I made a thread on BGG last year about upgrading the marbles (because of defects) and got some suggestions and recommendations. Someone posted a pic of their Land of Marbles set and it looks great: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1634525/upgrading-marbles/page/1

Blizzard

Banned
I finally tried Oh My Goods, and it is indeed pretty neat. It reminded me of Splendor in the sense of gambling on what cards will show up in the future.

The box is extremely compact, even more so than the Tiny Epic games.

Blizzard

Banned
20+ copies of Feast for Odin are back in stock at coolstuffinc, for anyone who still doesn't have it. I also posted solo scenario 13 at long last.

JSR_Cube

We tried it for the first time last night. Everyone enjoyed it. Turns were super quick. Also, the game changes greatly depending on which races are in the game too. The promo faerie race from BGG is on its way for me too.

Bonethug

What did you end up getting? I'd like to look into that. Also, if you're crazy enough, there are 3D plans for a wooden replacement of the board itself!

I went with LandofMarbles as well to upgrade Potion Explosion.

6o24meu.jpg

Sun, Rooster, Orca and Stingray

The Rooster marbles are too dark for my liking and I'll probably end up replacing them with Firefighter. The Orca have more white on them than I would like so I may end up replacing them as well.

Experien

People in here care about Myth by MegaCon Games?

That IP is potentially being bought. Curious if a big company saw it and wanted it or if they were trying to option it out. They said they are still going to finish the orders.

People in here care about Myth by MegaCon Games?

That IP is potentially being bought. Curious if a big company saw it and wanted it or if they were trying to option it out. They said they are still going to finish the orders.

Or they found someone to unload it on for cheap, can't see a game with all the negative press behind getting picked up by anyone big, especially with all the dungeon crawlers out there.

Top Bottom