• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to have mountains and mountains of DLC, cancels games without DLC potential

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since the other thread is primarily about their outsourcing reduction and their profit misses, I felt this might get overlooked.

In case it isn't clear, Digital Contents primarily refers to DLC here.

cdlc1qsupt.png

cdlc26quhe.png

cdlc3rkuf0.png

cdlc4tsuxl.png

cdlc5tbu6c.png

cdlc6d6ugm.png
Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2012/full/explanation_2012_full_01.pdf

Takao

Banned
I honestly thought this was a thread from that parody site (you know, "Kaz Hirai: Saving Vita is like saving the Titanic") jeeze Capcom. No wonder Ace Attorney 5 suddenly has DLC.

scitek

I've bought two bits of DLC in the past two years, Deus Ex's The Missing Link, and one of the ones for Sleeping Dogs. Good luck with this.

Lunar15

Eventually this will have to burn them. So many gamers are getting sick of this.

We keep saying this, but are they? Companies wouldn't do this unless people were buying it. Clearly there's a vast majority of people who enjoy buying DLC.

Do I like this? No. But I'm not blind to the fact that DLC exists for the fact that it sells.

daripad

So Capcom is practicaly being stupid. How does DLC improves the profitability of a game if they keep giving reasons to not even buy the game?

Elixist

ya no thx. expansions im cool with, i dont really buy dlcs. im happy that it seems they're going to be developing more internally tho, but if they're gonna EA us fuck them.

A good expansion is good, give us new features, add in new locations, even give us a meaty 1.5 sequel as dlc and I will buy it.

Give us locked characters, costumes and pre-order only bonuses and you can go spin on it.

yes because downloading it somehow makes you feel better about it

it's bullshit that you can pay £40 for a game to have a large chunk of it already complete, featured in the game but requires an 108kb sized file to access, costing you another £20

So yes it does make me feel better downloading it, it also stops hackers getting early dibs and using locked characters online (sfxt for example)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
They really need to start working on reducing the initial outlay for boxed games.

$60 and a ton of DLC is just too much. They need to come to some kind of compromise for the consumer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ya no thx. expansions im cool with, i dont really buy dlcs. im happy that it seems they're going to be developing more internally tho, but if they're gonna EA us fuck them.

Well you see EA, Activision, and Take-Two make a lot of money off of DLC, and on slide one, you will notice who they are looking at to model their future.

They really need to start working on reducing the initial outlay for boxed games.

$60 and a ton of DLC is just too much. They need to come to some kind of compromise for the consumer.

It's gonna get to the F2P point with them eventually. Extremely basic version of core game, and microtransactions for everything else.

TheNatural

My Member!
Sounds like THQ's strategy before they went under.

It's nice to expect money to roll in from DLC, it's another to actually get it. I think people are sick of this shit with most games. Maybe it will fly with MMO type games but Capcom has nothing to offer.

What can they do, a nude Jill Valentine skin for $10?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Their goal is to increase profit though, not achieve the same profit in a different way.

danmaku

A good expansion is good, give us new features, add in new locations, even give us a meaty 1.5 sequel as dlc and I will buy it.

Give us locked characters, costumes and pre-order only bonuses and you can go spin on it.

it's bullshit that you can pay £40 for a game to have a large chunk of it already complete, featured in the game but requires an 108kb sized file to access, costing you another £20

So yes it does make me feel better downloading it, it also stops hackers getting early dibs and using locked characters online (sfxt for example)

So what you actually hate is day 1 DLC, regardless of where the content is stored.

Elixist

Well you see EA, Activision, and Take-Two make a lot of money off of DLC, and on slide one, you will notice who they are looking at to model their future.

i realize that. first thing i thought of was that they were looking at EA for sure. i dont want to be a part of that tho. if others want to be nickel and dimed for bikini Ashley costume for RE4 remake number 6 thats their business.

Am okay if they REDUCE THE PRICE
Seriously; just launch cheaper than everyone else with lots of DLC aimed at different audiences. People get the bits they want.

I'll be getting Dark Arisen next week, so if anything it just means that Capcom releases are effectively on a year delay from now on. Wait for them Super rereleases.

Forkball

You can literally make DLC for anything though. Even MegaMan 9 had DLC.

I've got to wonder how successful DLC is really. Maybe something like costume packs are easy to create, but making multi-hour DLC packs only to sell it to a fraction of people who bought the initial game seems really risky.

RoKKeR

Capcom having quite a day. For DLC to be successful, your game has to be first. That's how EA/Activ/Take-Two make so much bank off of DLC. They have large, established player bases in their franchises that are willing to buy DLC.

Blueblur1

I don't think that's a good strategy. I'm trying to stay away from games with extensive DLC and I wouldn't be surprised if at least a small contingent of gamers feel the same way.

Grimsen

It's going to bite them in the ass when their DLC development cost is higher than their DLC income. It's bound to happen.

Elixist

Capcom just go back to making great games the fans will re-embrace you with open arms. Do somethin crazy like kickstart a new digital distributed Maximo/ Megaman Legends, bring back the goodness please we miss you.

As much as we may be sick of it... DLC isn't going away. And, in fact, the numbers suggest that day one DLC is the best selling DLC.

If it's typical capcom DLC that's fine. Let people buy $4 color palette swaps and crap like that. But if they start pulling a mass effect 3 and yanking out important characters and adding them via day 1 DLC... well, then it's time to view them the same way I view bioware (spoiler: it's not particularly positive).

Top Bottom