• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timedog Alert! A better way to reheat leftover pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrokeJoe

Had some nasty leftover Pizza Hut in the fridge so I gave it a go. I successfully created charcoal briquettes...

http://www.abload.de/img/pizza_burned19tpym.jpg

And this was on a gas stove-top, medium heat, and for like three minutes. I'm presently airing out the smell of burning out the window. Also I melted the styrofoam plate a tad. It's looking like just a minute would've done it.

I need to just remain out of the kitchen. :(

Their crust is greasy as hell, probably part of the problem. But you walked away I'm sure.

Had some nasty leftover Pizza Hut in the fridge so I gave it a go. I successfully created charcoal briquettes...

And this was on a gas stove-top, medium heat, and for like three minutes. I'm presently airing out the smell of burning out the window. Also I melted the styrofoam plate a tad. It's looking like just a minute would've done it.

I need to just remain out of the kitchen. :(

I'll bet you did not make a tin foil "tent" over the pizza. This is key. I've tried this with a few slices now, and the first couple I forgot about the tin foil, and while I didn't burn the crust, the cheese never really got properly melty when the crust was done. Next time I remembered the tin foil and it came out perfectly.

I'm not sure when the styrofoam plate came into play. Do you mean when you put the burnt pizza on it?

Biscuits

Hmm, never thought of this. Will try this the next time I have leftovers.

Oh yes, cold fried chicken is the best quick snack (after cold pizza).
I'm weird, but I love cold fries. I dunno, something about thestarchiness. And it gets all chewy, too.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'll bet you did not make a tin foil "tent" over the pizza. This is key. I've tried this with a few slices now, and the first couple I forgot about the tin foil, and while I didn't burn the crust, the cheese never really got properly melty when the crust was done. Next time I remembered the tin foil and it came out perfectly.

I'm not sure when the styrofoam plate came into play. Do you mean when you put the burnt pizza on it?

Nah, I actually did the tinfoil hat and everything. The styrofoam plate is just what I had handy to throw the pizza on, which I eat warm food off of without any problems. They don't hold up to a burned slab of pizza quite as well.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ha, peasants.

Let me introduce you to my friend, the motherfucking Presto Pizzazz.

gqDWh.jpg

Hell, works for reheating ANYTHING to perfection. And you can get one for a measly $30.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Alright so I just wanted to chime in. Just got home from Fred 62 getting my take out. Chicken parm sub and fries. Only one issue, by the time I got home the. biggest flaw in takeout, the steam trapped inside made my fries a hot soggy mess. So I turned on the skillet and about 5 mins later I now have awesome crispy fries to finish my lunch. Workes amazingly.

WHOA. Yeah dude fast food fries are the fucking worst in the microwave. Like the worst tasting food imaginable. I HAVE to try this shit!

i literally tried this pan fry idea the other night with some leftover little caeser's pizza

i think it actually tasted a bit better!

Listen man, level with me here. What does this have to do with the 2007 documentary film I Don't Like Crispy Crust that I completely made up?

Don't tempt me... I have all the stuff I need to make pizza at home except for cheese. I was going to go to the store to buy cheese, but just picking up a pizza that is already cooked sounds like a better idea...

I can help you. I'll lead you to the promised land.

Never reheat pizza or chicken, it absolutely fucks its chemically speaking. Eat it cold with garlic sauce and hot sauce respectively.

No, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Tried it on the two last pieces of my Papa Johns order (Tuscan Six Cheese with jalapeno peppers, rita tomatoes, and mushrooms). I put the stove top on medium (5) and checked it every few minutes, didn't burn or anything.

The crust is super crunchy, more so than I've ever tasted on pizza. VERY good, way better than throwing cold pizza in the microwave.

This thread delivers /bow

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I don't see how it could be better than sticking it on a cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees?

theoretically the reheating of the ingredients on top of the pizza--which are already done and may be subject to drying out--would benefit from the gentler indirect heat radiating through the bottom crust as it crisps in the pan. additionally, i would imagine it's marginally faster to heat up a pan and pop the pizza in for 3-5 minutes than to preheat an oven to 350 degrees then put the pizza in for 10 minutes.

i think either the oven or the pan method is an ideal pizza reheating method. the microwave is the complete bane of pizza existence and anyone who puts it there should be swiftly corrected, as anyone who has always done it that way cannot fathom how much better it is from the oven or the pan.

theoretically the reheating of the ingredients on top of the pizza--which are already done and may be subject to drying out--would benefit from the gentler indirect heat radiating through the bottom crust as it crisps in the pan. additionally, i would imagine it's marginally faster to heat up a pan and pop the pizza in for 3-5 minutes than to preheat an oven to 350 degrees then put the pizza in for 10 minutes.

i think either the oven or the pan method is an ideal pizza reheating method. the microwave is the complete bane of pizza existence and anyone who puts it there should be swiftly corrected, as anyone who has always done it that way cannot fathom how much better it is from the oven or the pan.

Yeah, you just don't do bread of any kind in the microwave. Even Hot Pockets, which are made for the microwave, take on a whole new magical taste when made in the oven.

Soma

Listen man, level with me here. What does this have to do with the 2007 documentary film I Don't Like Crispy Crust that I completely made up?

hell if i know man i just saw little caesers brought up in this thread and i wanted to tell people on an internet message board my experience with something loosely related

Axion22

(I've finally watched this after all day.) The same principles of heat penetration apply no matter where you do it.

The stovetop gives you bottom-only heat, so you have to cover to heat the top before the bottom burns.

The oven gives you "surround-sound" heat, but takes longer to heat up.

The microwave is witchcraft and you pay for it with sogginess.

Xena

So, I finally got an opportunity to try this method. I'm impressed, it is indeed waaaaay better than re-heating through a microwave, and crunchy as they said it would. Outstanding; won't ever use microwave on pizza anymore!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So I tried this method cause I got two xlarge (18+") pizzas for free from this place down the block and wasn't able to eat it all in one go. I'd say it's at least as good as oven. I'd have to do an oven reheat slice and a pan reheat slice of the same kind of pizza from the same batch to see if it's better.

I'm gonna do this from now on if I'm only reheating one slice, cause it's quicker. If I'm doing multiple slices it's gonna have to still be oven, bro.

Also, NeoGAF is a little bitch
LLShC.gif

The same principles of heat penetration apply no matter where you do it.

That's what she said, bro.

God I just ate honey barbecue wings and I'm still starving for pizza.

Yeah, you just don't do bread of any kind in the microwave. Even Hot Pockets, which are made for the microwave, take on a whole new magical taste when made in the oven.
I wonder what would happen if you put a slice of pizza inside a Hot Pockets "crisping pocket" in the microwave. It'd have to be a small slice, and you probably wouldn't be able to cover the cornicione at all, but that never reheats well anyways.

Medalion

Banned
I forgot to post in here I tried this a couple weeks ago, it worked amazingly well, but I gotta adust the cooking temperature, it was burnt on the bottom but otherwise everything else was great

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Since this thread was bumped, I have to say that I've tried it and I'm a believer. There is no other way of eating leftover pizza for me from now on. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have been left ignorant about this method, haha!

I can't believe people hadn't tried this before! I pretty much opt for heating up food in either a toaster oven or frying pan vs. the warm soggy mess a microwave turns food into. I'll even heat up fresh pizza on a frying pan to get a crispy crust. Mmmm.

akira28

Tried it. Hated it. Back to Oven re-heating, or eating it cold. Fuck this method. If the crust isn't sufficiently greasy, you end up with a burnt crust and perfectly heated toppings. Heating in an oven makes the pizza even more crunchy and toasted, so it's like a different slice of pie. Ovens win.

edit: what the hell is wrong with you people using a microwave? To reheat pizza? Are you insane? You might as well steam your pizzas.

filler

Banned
Ha, peasants.

Let me introduce you to my friend, the motherfucking Presto Pizzazz.

gqDWh.jpg

Hell, works for reheating ANYTHING to perfection. And you can get one for a measly $30.

I'm not a babby. That tiny pie would not satisfy my immense pizza hunger. Let me know when they start making the Pizzazzizzle in big boy sizes.

KillerAJD

Tried this and was disappointed. I was too impatient when heating it up, plus I could only fit one slice at a time in the pan I used, so i turned up the heat of the stove, and promptly burned the shit out of one of the pieces, hahaha. It may also be more difficult to do it correctly because I have an electric stove. Oh how I miss my gas stove :(

Ferga

I have one of those microwave ovens. Get some foil, put it in there for 3minutes on medium heat and ta-da. Crunchy crust and all.

coldvein

Banned
i bought a gigantic frozen burrito today, planning on eating it.. don't think it's gonna happen tonight. dont have a freezer, it's just in my fridge. so itll thaw out a bit before tomorrow morning, when i will ideally eat it for breakfast. is it going to kill me?

Gattsu25

Banned
i bought a gigantic frozen burrito today, planning on eating it.. don't think it's gonna happen tonight. dont have a freezer, it's just in my fridge. so itll thaw out a bit before tomorrow morning, when i will ideally eat it for breakfast. is it going to kill me?
As long as you heat it up till it is hot on the inside, you're good.
Never reheat pizza or chicken, it absolutely fucks its chemically speaking. Eat it cold with garlic sauce and hot sauce respectively.
Reheating homemade buffalo wings is the best.

Foxix Von

So we ordered pizza today... and there was some that had been sitting out for a few hours and just got cold.

Needless to say I just tried this out. I think I either turned the head a little low or it could have used an extra minute but... my god.

IT CAME OUT SO FUCKING CRISPY. This is a discovery for the ages. This is so good! I implore everyone in this thread to try this out.

WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom