• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Super Slim .. Upgrading HDD , please help!!!

Riggs

Banned
I have a PS3 Super Slim, my fat 80GB YLOD.

For the past few weeks since I've had this new system, I have really bad stuttering in MLB The Show, people have finally figured out it's because of the shitty Hitachi 5400 RPM HDD they ship with this system. I never had problems with my fat 80GB PS3 in this regard.

I bought a 120GB Sandisk 2.5" SSD today, I put it in the PS3 at it says this.

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system".

"If the system cannot be restarted, you must reinstall the system software.
"Connect the storage media that contains update data of version 4.46 or later, and press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.
"For more information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web Site for your region"

Restarting the system brings me back to this screen, I have the 4.46 firmware on a USB stick now, and made sure I add'd it correctly to the USB stick by following the instructions on sony's website.

When trying to update the firmware (via the 'secret' menu, obtained by holding down the power, letting system turn off, and holding down power again), you have 6 options.

1 is to update the system software, it just gives me this error ....

"No applicable update data was found
"Connect storage media that contains update data of version 4.46 or later, then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time"

So basically I don't know what to do at this point ....

I bought a 350 GB WD HDD a while back for my fat PS3, I hooked it up and was up and running in like 10 min .... I have no idea what the problem is, this is the same damn system it's just a super slim. I even tried my old WD HDD on the super slim and I have this exact same problem.

Can anyone please help?? Sorry for the long thread guys.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
All you have to do is put the latest firmware on a USB flash drive or USB HDD external and follow the directory directions from Sony's website. The drive must be FAT32.

When switching HDD, you have to install the FW update via USB drive

The FAT32 is probably the culprit

Riggs

Banned
All you have to do is put the latest firmware on a USB flash drive or USB HDD external and follow the directory directions from Sony's website. The drive must be FAT32.

When switching HDD, you have to install the FW update via USB drive

I am pretty sure this is what I am messing up.

I have the USB set up the way it should be, I think at least ...

Rx2A7zs.jpg

Just took a pic so you can see the directory, not sure what else to do. I hit update system from the safe mode boot menu on the PS3 and I just keep going in this endless loop, saying No applicable update data was found.

Should I just hook the SSD up to my PC and Format it manually to Fat 32? Could be it too I guess, didn't think about that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You don't need safe mode. Just boot it up regularly, have controller connected via USB and do the button combo to install the FW. Reformat the USB as FAT32 just in case and copy the FW again

The SSD is your new hard drive, right? It doesn't matter what format it is. The USB drive with the FW does

Riggs

Banned
You don't need safe mode. Just boot it up regularly, have controller connected via USB and do the button combo to install the FW. Reformat the USB as FAT32 just in case and copy the FW again

The SSD is your new hard drive, right? It doesn't matter what format it is. The USB drive with the FW does

Oh snap, nice man. SSD is brand new. You saved me a lot of trouble ... already have my SSD hooked up to PC ready to format to Fat 32 hah, having problems with PC seeing it .... glad I don't have to worry about that then.

Will try what you said, thanks Wario.

Riggs

Banned
I formatted my USB Flash Drive to FAT32 , it says Fat 32 when I click on the properties of it via Computer (windows 7)

Put the firmware back on, directory is PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

It still won't find the file, No applicable update data can be found.

Any ideas?

This flash drive is only 8GB btw.

Finally got it to work!!! Wario you are a god among men, ty sir.

Top Bottom