• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That was riveting. I can't wait. I'm so happy I'm building a new PC now.

Anno

That was crazy. When Chris took the bullet to the side and Evan told him in a kind of panicky voice to get up and run I was genuinely nervous.

Lijik

That was crazy. When Chris took the bullet to the side and Evan told him in a kind of panicky voice to get up and run I was genuinely nervous.

Yeah. I also felt really tense when they met that one other guy for the first time and it turned out he had been trailing them since the lake

Noaloha

Fun stuff. They got a good mix of experiences in there which can be a crapshoot. Nice to see them take the live streaming issue super seriously and not hesitate to switch if they thought their server was compromised - that shit ruined GB's similar attempt at a Day-Z video.

Looking forward to some podcast talk about the game now, especially if they put some personal time in (Sean especially seemed like he might have found his new time sink, ha).

randomwab

Yeah. I also felt really tense when they met that one other guy for the first time and it turned out he had been trailing them since the lake

I like how that guy had been tailing them and was nervous 'cause they weren't talking back.

DayZ is so amazing.

Anno

Just watching it was insane. I'd love to hear some in depth discussion on next week's cast. Special guest star Evan Lahti?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm checkin out the archive...caught the end of the live stream, but wanted to see from the start. You guys shoulda gotten another mic for Evan. Every time I turn the volume up to hear him, Sean yells or makes a noise that blows out my speakers :(

So far, it's better than Vinny and Drew's attempt at playing DayZ, although that was still pretty entertaining.

Jintor

This is because threads for good podcasts, such as Idle Thumbs, are kind of irrelevant.

Podcast threads are filled with posts from idiots throwing out catch phrases or people complaining about the hosts' opinions.

Want to know when a new episode comes out? Subscribe to the show's RSS feed or in iTunes.

Thumbs threads are far more likely to contain discussion though, and having them fall off the forums is a pain in the ass, especially when searching for them is damn near impossible

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This could easily be the stream discussion thread rather than an unbrella thread.

I want to know when we will see the Vertigo of games?
Perhaps an indie game made to explore the obsessions and weaknesses of the developer in an autobiographical way?

sixghost

These weekend streams have convinced me that Idle Thumbs and Giantbomb are such perfect opposites. Their approaches to stuff like this could not be more different, which the exception of flight club.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it's pretty hilarious. I was juxtaposing idle thumbs and gb today as well. There was some true magic going on in that live stream today. I was more engaged than watching true blood or game of thrones. Day z is like the most idle thumbs game there is, I really hope they do more and SOON. it's actually the first time I've seen the game in action. I've been a fiend for the rps and ars articles on experiences of the game but haven't watched any videos yet. Part due to laziness but I also didn't want to spoil the experience. What I saw today was spellbinding, it's the coolest fucking thing ever. I can't wait till this goddamn computer is built.

Shaneus

These weekend streams have convinced me that Idle Thumbs and Giantbomb are such perfect opposites. Their approaches to stuff like this could not be more different, which the exception of flight club.
As someone who's only listened to maybe one or two GB casts, could you explain how/why?

Jintor

As someone who's only listened to maybe one or two GB casts, could you explain how/why?

God... I actually have no idea where to start. I want to say they're like two sides of the same coin or something equally asinine, but that wouldn't actually help you in any way.

Bicycle in DayZ is like as significant as finding the bicycle in Pokemon I think. What a bad ass moment. I got DayZ earlier in the year shotly after the mod went viral, played for one day, and then I've been too scared to play ever since because I got so attached to my gun. But this has made me want to load up again. No doubt I'll end up losing my stuff within minutes in Cherno. But at least I'll be free of the fear associated with loss.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Amatuerish doesn't have to mean boring/stupid.

Idle thumbs I feel gives a deeper analysis to games, though I feel sometimes it can become a bit much (like driver san franciso) while giantbomb seems more impulsive and unrestrained, like how their podcast has becoming increasing less about games and also vinny's dumbass video transitions.

Rufus

No, they're just as 'professional', whatever that means. They speak about as frankly as they can without coming off as assholes and the production is good enough. They aren't boring, but their podcast is two to three hours long and they follow the usual formula of what's everyone playing, then news and emails, though often with extended tangents. That might be tiring and/or boring to some. The guys have good chemistry, discernible personalities and they are frequently 'stupid', though in a different way than the Thumbs. Youtube has a few clips of their brand of stupid. They also don't do much in the way of interesting analysis, though I do enjoy them prognosticating on the business side.

Jintor

Idle Thumbs goofs off generally in a more interesting scientific direction or in an analysis about game design, while the Bombcast goofs tend to involve drugs/alcohol, arcade machines, food, tv/film, or just generally outlandish bullshit.

Shaneus

Ah, that makes more sense Jintor. Like the goofy stuff in IT is more relevant to gaming, the industry or components of it (like psychology etc.) whereas GB is a little less relevant and interesting (in general).

Cool!

trw

Watching the archived stream now and it's really great. Glad you got Evan to show up, he's making a really good job of being a 'day z dad' while still letting Sean do whatever he wants.

hamchan

Also watching the archive. I am quite happy they actually found a nice, powerful guy who didn't immediately murder them.

Nice ending. What an awesome experience.

El Sloth

Banned
So, I'm just listening to episode 69 and the talk on the Binding of Isaac made me wonder: what are your preferred methods of playing it?

I personally love playing it with an arcade stick (using JoyToKey). It just feels so right.

Edit: Oh and I totally get the same feeling Sean does when he plays Dota 2, but with fighting games (and fighting game streams). It's a terrible feeling of being a useless human being.

BUT I WANT TO KEEP GETTING BETTER

So, I'm just listening to episode 69 and the talk on the Binding of Isaac made me wonder: what are your preferred methods of playing it?

I personally love playing it with an arcade stick (using JoyToKey). It just feels so right.

I play it with WASD + Arrow Keys. Whenever I play it on my controller, I wish it was a twin stick shooter.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

Using an arcade stick sounds like an awesome idea, and I wish I had one to try it out. I've been using the default keyboard controls in lefty mode. It's the first game with left-handed controls that actually feel good.

El Sloth

Banned
I play it with WASD + Arrow Keys. Whenever I play it on my controller, I wish it was a twin stick shooter.
I was going to try it with a regular gamepad first, but it occurred to me that on an arcade stick I could keep my hands in much more relaxed positions than with a gamepad (my hands tend to hurt and tire really on them).

I should note that I hold the arcade stick underhand like a wine glass.
Using an arcade stick sounds like an awesome idea, and I wish I had one to try it out. I've been using the default keyboard controls in lefty mode. It's the first game with left-handed controls that actually feel good.
Do the relatively simple controls have something to do with that?

It is pretty sweet, although I'm sure that dodging with a thumbstick allows for more elegant and simpler dodging.

I play TBoI with WASD and arrows. Just fits. Can't be bothered to fart around with J2K when it plays just fine that way.

But man, what a game. Love it. Love it love it love it.

oh and REMO PUNCH

i5uKlQLDBSCPU.gif

Lijik

I play TBoI with WASD and arrows. Just fits. Can't be bothered to fart around with J2K when it plays just fine that way.

But man, what a game. Love it. Love it love it love it.

oh and REMO PUNCH

i5uKlQLDBSCPU.gif

Holy crap I didnt notice/forgot about the third Remo walking onto the scene when this was live
Incredible

eot

Banned

Heh, I was tense when I first heard that G17 shot when they came out of the barn.
I knew there was someone there and they didn't notice.

Is it weird that the gif is oddly mesmerizing. Good to know there's a picture on the Internet of Chris Remo punching himself in the face.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
So... Watching the DayZ recordings, I want to mention some things that Evan didn't. Not sure if he knows these things. I love the guy in a non-erotic manner, but he really should've pointed these out.

— G is the key for accessing loot on the ground.
— Middle mouse button does the action that's written next to the crosshair when you look at something.
— , and . switch chat channels. Voice chat is restricted to the current channel. Always switch to "Direct Comm", that's the proximity chat. Never talk in other channels. (Edit: Oh, that came up now. Well.)
— V is for vaulting over stuff, you'll exit crouch though, keep that in mind.
— You'll exit crouch when getting off a ladder.
— Clouds ALWAYS travel eastwards. Meaning you don't need a compass unless you can't see clouds because of rain, fog, night or whatever.
— There is an alternative DayZ map with a separate persistent character you can play. It's situated in tropical environments. It is called "Lingor Island". Tutorial for getting it working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyu4aIoy4A
— Lingor has a lot more enterable buildings (like, a fuckton more), it's more dense and more varied in terms of elevation. So it's loot / PVP heaven.
— How to ride a bike:
..1) Get on the bike
..2) Enter 3rd person (Num-Enter)
..3) Adjust vertical rotation of view with the mouse
..4) Double-tap ALT for freelook. No mouse steering!
..5) Use the mouse for looking, A and D for steering (W, S, Shift as well, of course). Tap A and D to make minuscule adjustments.
..6) Double-tap ALT again to exit freelook if you need to.
— You only need to eat or drink once food or water starts blinking red. No earlier than that.

Good shit, you guys. It's always fun for me watching others discover the mechanics. Evan did a great job explaining stuff. Awesome.

Edit:
— Return lets you open / confirm choice in — and Backspace lets you exit — the mousewheel menu as well. Some people like that more.
— Adjust range for sniper weapons with PageUp / PageDown (if you know what you're doing, haha).
— Voice chat on Caps Lock is sorta shitty, reconfigure that. You don't want to have Caps Lock on when text chatting, that'll happen though like that.
— Might want to invert flight controls if you want to fly a heli with a mouse.
— Save vehicles (mousewheel menu) if you want to find them again on a server. Don't forget to write the server name down on a napkin. Same for tents. Stuff despawns otherwise!
— You can destroy tents.
— You can destroy buildings with tin cans and smoke bombs. Takes a while.
— Don't piss off Russians. This is really important. They are .. organized.
— Recombining ammo twice fills clips (technically cheating).

eot

Banned
I find that driving the bike (and cars) in first person with the mouse is superior. You need the analog input to steer it properly.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I find that driving the bike (and cars) in first person with the mouse is superior. You need the analog input to steer it properly.

But it's not really suited to analog input imho because it's too imprecise and jerky. Well, maybe you can adjust sensitivity and stuff to counteract the fact that the input range from horizontal steering deadzone to max steering is really only a few pixels in terms of mouse movement. But then again, the mouse cursor sorta isn't helpful for figuring out where you're gonna steer in a couple of milliseconds, which makes steering under pressure pretty much impossible. I always know what's gonna happen with A and D, not so much with the mouse steering.
Plus, I want to always look around while riding a bike anyway. That way you can steer and look at the same time in an intuitive manner.

I guess it's YMMV as always.

Edit: In cars, it's not that clear-cut to me. Most of the time, I want to steer with A and D, but when I'm really fast, I want to make tiny motions with the mouse for steering, so I tend to alternate between the two methods.

Long story short: Driving in ArmA is something that needs work for sure. Here's hoping they figure it out in the next one.

Oh yeah, helos and jet-propelled flying machines are best with flight sticks. AFAIK ArmA supports HOTAS setups, so that's pretty good, especially when you combine that stuff with TrackIR (because if you want to, say, circle a building with a helicopter, what you want to do is pitch forwards, use the feet and horizontal stick axis for yaw / roll as appropriate, and look towards the point you're circling to get the most mileage out of it, AND to make it way easier for side gunners to do their thing).
I'm flying with a non-HOTAS setup, but at least I'm using a flight stick, which is already an immense improvement in terms of having non-cumbersome controls.

Lijik

(Chris Remo of Irrational. Whoops.)

After that slip-up I became fascinated with the idea of someone from a completely unrelated developer on the other end of the country just flying over to chill and hang out for the reveal of someone else's game.
Just someone whos decided he's going to party crash but only in the most effort-consuming ways possible.

Top Bottom