• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I keep forgetting about Rime.

Too many games to keep track of. Don't forget The Tomorrow Children!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
its hard to differ betweem collaborations & normal third party exclusivs -->Street Fighter V all those square Enix exclusives

Oh yeah. Those ones are quite hard. I generally guide myself with the fact that SCE games have the "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents..." intro card.

Trevelyan

Banned
Oh yeah. Those ones are quite hard. I generally guide myself with the fact that SCE games have the "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents..." intro card.

Yeah, anything where the IP is owned by Sony(Rime, Wattam, Alienation, etc) should be listed as well, since a good majority of those games generally have help from other internal devs, such as SSM or XDev.

Since everyone has their own wishlist, I'll make mine:

Gran Turismo PS4
The Last Guardian
Guerilla Game's Hybrid Project
Street Fighter V (Fuck You Ken Edition)
New Media Molecule IP
JRPG #1
JRPG #2
JRPG #3
JRPG #4
JRPG #5

New Sly
New Crash Bandicoot
New Sony Mascot Fighter
New Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy XVI
Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy spin-off RPG
New SE console RPG IP
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 remake
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
Square Enix crossover game
Dragon Quest XI
New Parasite Eve
Monster Hunter PS4
DMC5
New Capcom TPS IP (Because we need more TPS)
New EA IP
New Ubisoft IP
New Prince of Persia
New Naval RPG
New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
New Sega Action/Adventure IP
New Marvel Action/Adventure title
New Soul Calibur
New Rockstar IP.

Now that TGS has passed we still don't know anything about those 5 JRPG Games and acc to Verendus JRPG 1 and JRPG 2 will be announced this year

I guess one of them will be the Level 5 Project - and since they didn't reveal their project at E3 and TGS is a japanese show, they will wait for the next conference for an global audience (PGW or PSX)

Pachimari

I can't express how much I love my PS4. It just needs PlayStation Home and I would be set. Such a shame Sony closed it down, as to me, it was one of the greatest things to come out of last generation.

hesido

What about this Verendus quote:
- SSM is SSM. God of War is the biggest action franchise there is, and massive IP for SCE. Now, they also have a new IP in the works to create something different and build another franchise. Considering the level of quality with God of War, this could be pretty amazing.

Also it's nice that at least one studio is working on the UE4, like Fable Legends UE4 work rolling into the main UE4 trunk for the Xbox, their contributions may end up getting used by all parties for the PS4.

Also it's nice that at least one studio is working on the UE4, like Fable Legends UE4 work rolling into the main UE4 trunk for the Xbox, their contributions may end up getting used by all parties for the PS4.

Pretty sure that's referring to the cancelled IP.

Trevelyan

Banned

Do you have the link for that quote? Or rather, how long ago it was made?

hesido

Pretty sure that's referring to the cancelled IP.

Oh, shoot.. Probably that.

Do you have the link for that quote? Or rather, how long ago it was made?

Way back in June 2013, this quote is also quoted in the OP, and you can also read it by pressing the ">" sign in my quote. Since this is also quoted in OP, I over-estimated the current relevance of this post.

Sorry for stirring things up.

TVexperto

Great thread, didnt know that Sony has that many first party studios. Excited to see the next game from Sucker Punch.

There is some part in me that says Sucker Punch is working on a Sly Cooper Reboot/movie tie in game just like Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank Redux.

I feel like Sony would get Sanzaru to make that, while SP can continue working on whatever they want.

Those poor bastards are stuck making Sonic Boom games, but hey I enjoyed Sly 4 and they did remastered the trilogy, so they are one of the few capable companies to make a Sly PS4 game possible.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, was Verendus talking about the cancelled SSM IP back there?

As for GoW4, I'm not too sure it will be shown at PSX after Cory's recent reply to a dude on Twitter where he said that PSX was going to be huge for SSM, as apparently Cory mentioned that it would be last year. Here is what Cory replied:

'Cory Barlog ‏@corybarlog Sep 8
@PS4G4M3PL4Y @SonySantaMonica I DID??? #GONNABEAWHILE'

Sucks though. Was hoping they would atleast tease it with some sort of announcement trailer and confirm that the damn thing is officially in production.

Second party is predicated on who is publishing it.

hmm thats true....man its really irritating with all these exclusive games from third party studios

So deep down is not a second party exclusive/collaboration - but how about Street Fighter v? Sony is publishing the game, but it also comes out on PC

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I suppose they're showing them the team ICO method of game development.
ibuTFrcq4HjNBQ.gif~original

Hmm, was Verendus talking about the cancelled SSM IP back there?

As for GoW4, I'm not too sure it will be shown at PSX after Cory's recent reply to a dude on Twitter where he said that PSX was going to be huge for SSM, as apparently Cory mentioned that it would be last year. Here is what Cory replied:

'Cory Barlog ‏@corybarlog Sep 8
@PS4G4M3PL4Y @SonySantaMonica I DID??? #GONNABEAWHILE'

Sucks though. Was hoping they would atleast tease it with some sort of announcement trailer and confirm that the damn thing is officially in production.

i fully expect GOW 4 to be an 2017 title, since we already get two huge games in 2015 with GT7 and Uncharted

i wouldn't mind a short teaser at psx tough....showing that new egyptian setting.
I just wanna know in which direction this game goes, before im getting hyped

Corpsepyre

Banned
i fully expect GOW 4 to be an 2017 title, since we already get two huge games in 2015 with GT7 and Uncharted

i wouldn't mind a short teaser at psx tought....showing that new egyptian setting.
I just wanna know in which direction this game goes, before im getting hyped

Yeah, March 2017 seems like a safe bet.

I too would like a confirmation of what they're aiming for. I love the series, but it's time for a shakeup. I just hope they don't go the open-world route as most games are tend to doing this gen. Something a little more non-linear, like Darksiders, would be fine, but no fully open-world game, please. GoW NEEDS that tight structure it's known for.

Yeah, March 2017 seems like a safe bet.

I too would like a confirmation of what they're aiming for. I love the series, but it's time for a shakeup. I just hope they don't go the open-world route as most games are tend to doing this gen. Something a little more non-linear, like Darksiders, would be fine, but no fully open-world game, please. GoW NEEDS that tight structure it's known for.

preach man - i hope that too
The biggest condition for me however is a new setting - i can't take the greek world/gods anymore

PayaV87

SMS is sucking at launching new IP or Reboot recently: PSASBR, Sorcery, Starhawk, Twisted Metal and The Order all were failures and all had SMS as a helping hand. Stig's game was a canned project before even came out. These guys, aside from a few indie games, haven't helped anything profitable out of the door besides God of War. They are probably soft rebooting that series too, but if God of War IV fails, than they are as good as dead. I hope Barlog helps them making a fantastic game, but they need Allan Becker back more than ever.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I haven't even played God of War III yet. I should pick up the HD Remaster some day. Is it worth it?

Absolutely!

It's not THAT different from the original PS3 release, but since you haven't played it, I would recommend it completely. Some serious epic moments await, and I'm jealous now.

grumble

SMS is sucking at launching new IP or Reboot recently: PSASBR, Sorcery, Starhawk, Twisted Metal and The Order all were failures and all had SMS as a helping hand. Stig's game was a canned project before even came out. These guys, aside from a few indie games, haven't helped anything profitable out of the door besides God of War. They are probably soft rebooting that series too, but if God of War IV fails, than they are as good as dead. I hope Barlog helps them making a fantastic game, but they need Allan Becker back more than ever.

I feel like a lot of the issue is that they're a supporting studio for those titles. They need more creative input and the chance to make more original titles on their own.

Now that TGS has passed we still don't know anything about those 5 JRPG Games and acc to Verendus JRPG 1 and JRPG 2 will be announced this year

I guess one of them will be the Level 5 Project - and since they didn't reveal their project at E3 and TGS is a japanese show, they will wait for the next conference for an global audience (PGW or PSX)

Verendus said later on that those announcements may be pushed back (in fact he may have said JRPG 2 has definitely been pushed back to 2016, I can't remember exactly).

People really shouldn't take those teases so seriously, Verendus has pointed out a few times that Sony's conferences are planned out a week or two in advance, not 6 months in advance, so no-one knows exactly when they're going to announce all their games. Bloodborne was originally planned to be announced at TGS 2013, for instance, but they pushed it back to E3 2014 instead.

hmm thats true....man its really irritating with all these exclusive games from third party studios

So deep down is not a second party exclusive/collaboration - but how about Street Fighter v? Sony is publishing the game, but it also comes out on PC

Capcom are publishing Street Fighter V. The only games Sony publishes are from WWS or games they've got a regional publishing deal with, like Destiny in Japan. Even the stuff Third Party Productions are responsible for (Borderlands 2 Vita, USFIV, etc.) are published by their original publishers, not Sony.

Small note: Twisted Metal was far from a new IP. It's pretty much Sony's oldest that stuck around. Starhawk wasn't really a new IP either though - it was Warhawk, which is similarly old. You may have a point though, although those were all SMS supported, not lead.

FelipeMGM

True, but they did manage to publish some amazing smaller games, which is great and I like this method of work they to with small studios. And Becker is not coming back anytime soon.

Also, dont SSM have two creative directors at the moment? Barlog is making GoW and what Nathan Gary is working on? Maybe new IP

FelipeMGM

Capcom are publishing Street Fighter V. The only games Sony publishes are from WWS or games they've got a regional publishing deal with, like Destiny in Japan. Even the stuff Third Party Productions are responsible for (Borderlands 2 Vita, USFIV, etc.) are published by their original publishers, not Sony.

Didnt Sony published Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 though?

EDIT: According to Metacritic, SCEA published both B2 Vita and USFIV PS4. But I know they might not be the best source of info

Top Bottom