• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Angel has decided! I shall keep my (terrible) MS paint representation of the evolution of Halo for later use. Congrats Orochinagis!

and...

wait what?

Train is pulling into New York now! :D

But first, some HaloGAF business:

http://halogaf.com/2012/10/10/ms-paint-halo-3-results-update/

not-to-kill-list-o.gif

Gray Man

Banned
The three forge map environments seem pretty awesome to me. The forge objects don't really bother me at all.

Erosion looks very interesting, I hope you can make maps down close to the water, that very acid like water.

Ravine also looks fantastic as well, I see a lot of opportunities there.

GhaleonEB

Who's doing the OT for H4? I'm expecting a plethora of awesome avatars included in the OT ready to be snatched up! :D

I'm working on it. Not planning to make avatars, though I'll be happy to link to some if someone cranks some out.

I won't be melting faces in terms of content, though I'm going to try and make the presentation a bit better than before; the OP will be just one post to conform to the new OT rules and in the interest of reading economy. (Each OP I try to learn something new when it comes to image editing.)

m0dus, on the other hand....

zlatko

Banned
GodleonEB, who else?

That was my guess, but wanted to confirm.

I'm working on it. Not planning to make avatars, though I'll be happy to link to some if someone cranks some out.

I won't be melting faces in terms of content, though I'm going to try and make the presentation a bit better than before; the OP will be just one post to conform to the new OT rules and in the interest of reading economy. (Each OP I try to learn something new when it comes to image editing.)

Well I hope someone cranks out avatars for you. I'm always surprised what GAF can find image wise and make for great avatars that I couldn't stumble upon myself.

Finished The Thursday War.

Ending felt cheap :(
Oh - so Jul escaped, and somehow magically ended up at a planet occupied by Elites. Oh and he now magically has the co-ordinates of Requiem. How convenient.

Entertaining book - feels like I want more/ different out of a Halo novel though.

So I guess it was a great book if it wasnt part of the Halo cannon - but as a Halo novel it feels like 343 has been on a pretty consistant streak of putting out dud's.

Im actually less hyped for the Halo 4 campaign now - the way Traviss has made everyone/ everything so 1 dimensional has not helped at all.

Seems like the Forerunners are a 1 trick portal pony

CyReN

I can help with avatars, it's just going to be hard with the community already using a fair amount from Halo 4. I don't know what will be new or used.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If Kylej did the Halo 4 OT it'd look like the Dragon Age 2 one Evilore did a while back. "Revenge of shit mountain..." something something.

EDIT:

Halo 4 beats Black Ops 2. Or...something.

"Mountain Dew Exec Explains Why Halo 4 Received Double XP Over Call Of Duty: Black Ops II"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/10/10/mountain-dew-exec-explains-why-halo-4-received-double-xp-over-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/

Both Black Ops II and Halo 4 are fantastic titles. We have a rich history with Microsoft going back to 2007 when we launched Game Fuel for the first time with Halo 3. Consumers are pumped about Halo 4 and they love seeing Chief on the bottles. Halo 4 has so many awards coming out of E3, including best online multiplayer game, that we are pumped about the game. In a world filled with choices, we had to make one. I’m going through a need for a Master Chief fix. It’s great to partner with Microsoft and 343 and have that iconic character to push with the DEW and Doritos brands.

If Kylej did the Halo 4 OT it'd look like the Dragon Age 2 one Evilore did a while back. "Revenge of shit mountain..." something something.

EDIT:

Halo 4 beats Black Ops 2. Or...something.

"Mountain Dew Exec Explains Why Halo 4 Received Double XP Over Call Of Duty: Black Ops II"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/10/10/mountain-dew-exec-explains-why-halo-4-received-double-xp-over-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/

halo 3 was the reason they made gamerfuel, so im not surpised Halo 4 got it over blops 2. when does it come out? edit: says october 15th

We’ve partnered with 7-11 on a mobile app that features Halo 4 in a new augmented reality and location-based mobile game from Ogmento that uses Mountain Dew and Doritos to unlock a King of the Hill-style gameplay experience.

?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
halo 3 was the reason they made gamerfuel, so im not surpised Halo 4 got it over blops 2. when does it come out?

Not to mention BlackOps2 has been a whimper compared to the Halo 4 hype (at least where i'm from)

I just don't see or hear many people excited about it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
halo 3 was the reason they made gamerfuel, so im not surpised Halo 4 got it over blops 2. when does it come out?

Product roles out starting Oct. 15 and we are planning to have product on shelves through Dec. 31. There’s a limited number of Halo branded packaging, but if we do sell through earlier we’ll try to keep up with demand.

So anytime now to Dec 31.

TheOddOne

Not to mention BlackOps2 has been a whimper compared to the Halo 4 hype (at least where i'm from)

Don't underestimate people outside of GAF. It will be a monster, especially now that there isn't a big title for PS3 for the end of the year.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Don't underestimate people outside of GAF. It will be a monster, especially now that there isn't a big title for PS3 for the end of the year.

Absolutely, I'm basing this off of my friend base as well as other gaming 'communities' sprinkled around the internet/southern california.

Most people are saying 'eh it looks interesting but i don't think i'll have the money for it'... it's really weird to hear people putting other games before COD in FPS centric communities.

Jmte

Neo Member

Really? Here there are plenty of BlOps 2 ads, but no one seems to know about Halo 4 except those who have been following it.

B wzy

Neo Member
Finished The Thursday War.

Ending felt cheap :(
Oh - so Jul escaped, and somehow magically ended up at a planet occupied by Elites. Oh and he now magically has the co-ordinates of Requiem. How convenient.

Entertaining book - feels like I want more/ different out of a Halo novel though.

So I guess it was a great book if it wasnt part of the Halo cannon - but as a Halo novel it feels like 343 has been on a pretty consistant streak of putting out dud's.

Im actually less hyped for the Halo 4 campaign now - the way Traviss has made everyone/ everything so 1 dimensional has not helped at all.

Seems like the Forerunners are a 1 trick portal poney

I finished it a couple days ago and feel similar. I think I actually liked Glasslands more.
Like you mentioned, the finish with Jul just felt rushed. The UNSC is in control of a mysterious shield world with unknown technologies and they let a hostile Elite roam around with another alien species...Okay. I was suprised we didnt get some more information on the Spartan 4s. I thought for sure that Vaz and Mal were going to get hooked up with some armor.

Hasn't BLOPS outsold MW3 the last couple months? I think that's a pretty good indication of the hype for #2 (and I suppose, to an extent, how poorly handled MW3 was/is)

TheOddOne

Hasn't BLOPS outsold MW3 the last couple months? I think that's a pretty good indication of the hype for #2 (and I suppose, to an extent, how poorly handled MW3 was/is)
Black Ops is now a brand onto itself, it will sell on that alone.

Black Ops II will be the top seller on other platforms, the 360 will be neck in neck Halo 4/Black Ops 2. Halo 4 will generate more profit day one though, maybe higher then even 3.

I like this new Forge environment. The middle section with the pre built terrain is TBD but the griffball room and the large body of awesome are great. I think it looks cool too.

I'm in agreement. Erosion looks gorgeous and I think it will be my favorite atmosphere to work with. Screw the comments of it is only for amateur forgers. Veteran forgers can do a lot with this place.

Don't you guys think Erosion's rusty pieces will look a bit out of place inside that coliseum looking zone?

If the Forgeworld pieces stick to the same style, then perhaps that is what they are for?

Also I have a feeling that it is going to be tough to build nice unique natural vehicle BTB maps with what there is to offer. The best chance is on Ravine, and eventually that terrain will get stale for vehicular BTB.

Pop

Treyarch is so much better then their counterpart.

What happened to our Spanish friend with the leaks. He disappoints.

I finished it a couple days ago and feel similar. I think I actually liked Glasslands more.
Like you mentioned, the finish with Jul just felt rushed. The UNSC is in control of a mysterious shield world with unknown technologies and they let a hostile Elite roam around with another alien species...Okay. I was suprised we didnt get some more information on the Spartan 4s. I thought for sure that Vaz and Mal were going to get hooked up with some armor.

The cover really hyped me up - I expected it to indicate something more. Turned out the cover was taken from a pretty uninteresting part of the book - and the Halo 4 esque armour was pretty out of place.

The cover is the least of my issues with the book though - The ending alone and painfully obvious way the story is being linked to Halo 4 felt a bit too cheap for my liking. She rushed it and something better could have been done but she spent so much time placing down the peices for the next novel that she forgot to flesh this novel out.

I mean I like the Naomi/ Innie dad subplot - but I want more attention to be paid to the wider stories. I like the idea of the Spartan 2's so Karen's political undoing of it isn't really ticking my boxes. Its a damn interesting story for sure - but im more interested in Onyx how Jul found out about Requim - etc. The ending of TTW was way too convenient. Jul ends up on a Elite controlled world and also somehow has just the right symbols etched down to go find Requiem - it was ridiculous - really bad writing. I say that as someone who is impressed by how well written the rest of the book is.

I also despise how much attention was paid to portals and how I cant help but shake that the Forerunners are just one trick ponies. Feels like a lot of the imagination is being stripped away - I suppose that was eventually going to have to happen for functionality's sake more than anything - but I am not a fan. I dont like the direction 343 is going with the Forerunners - they are a lot less interesting than they could be - and I feel that with the right persons imagination they could be a lot better.

I struggle to hate on it so much because it really was interesting, and as much as I wish the story took a different direction. I liked and am fascinated by Oni and am impressed by Karens portrayal of them. The problem is, despite being gripped it felt like nothing conclusive was happening - I really do feel like things that should have had more time where rushed in favour of less interesting things.

The Halo novels have been hitting some pretty serious dud's for me - and I feel pretty de-hyped for the campaign. :( - So hyped for the multiplayer though - which is a complete turn around in how I felt just a few weeks ago!

Also I wasn't here to watch the whole CC discussion going on, but I did catch up. Glad Fyrewulff, Live, and Homeboyd were here to take care of things. You guys did awesome. ;)

Dishonored is sucking away my time... lol. Ghost playthrough on Very Hard. :)

I'm kinda hoping 343/Certain Affinity still have some cool things up their sleeves regarding Forge. I like what I've seen so far, but I kinda feel like it's not enough.

Beckx

Also I wasn't here to watch the whole CC discussion going on, but I did catch up. Glad Fyrewulff, Live, and Homeboyd were here to take care of things. You guys did awesome. ;)

Dishonored is sucking away my time... lol. Ghost playthrough on Very Hard. :)

I am doing the same, except only on Hard. F'ing love this game, and its detailed information about the price of Whale Oil. I'd love to get good enough at the game to attempt to Big Boss it in a single segment (or at least each level single segment).

-----

Hey, today turns out to be squid day.

Pop

I'm kinda hoping 343/Certain Affinity still have some cool things up their sleeves regarding Forge. I like what I've seen so far, but I kinda feel like it's not enough.

What more would you like to see?

Forge looks great to me but I never been one to spend more then 5 mins building something. However, it seems way more impressive then Forge World.

Zoolader

It's surely a good improvement over Reach's forge just from the given information. Yet there are things that I expected in Reach's forge that we haven't seen in Halo 4's. I'm not sure how to judge yet, I suppose I will have to wait to get my hands on it before drawing conclusions. One thing that will also greatly improve forge is people's actual interest in Halo 4, because I had almost no desire to forge in Reach as the game was just bleh.

FyreWulff

Who knows. If 343 is more aggressive about post launch patches (ie caring less about LAN interop) then maybe they'll go as far as to patch new Forge objects into the existing canvases post-launch.

Top Bottom