• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharak

Neo Member
The next Wii fit will be awesome !!

I want a new IP form Retro!!... and I hope it isn't a "Nintendo uncharted"

apana

Bring back all the members of Retro who left after the original Metroid Prime and fuse them with these new people to make the ultimate studio.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
At last, MK7 DLC tracks!

go go go Retro!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't be more excited. Can't wait to see what they're up to. :-D

Danielsan

Definitely hoping that they're working on a Zelda game for the Wii U, but hell at this point Nintendo could announce Ninja Theory working a Wii U Zelda and I'd be more excited than if the previous Zelda team handled it again.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So you hire one guy and say he represents an entire game.

thisisneogafdude.gif

An environment artist and a senior character artist, from 2 completely different game with 2 completely different styles. This is a wicked mix that could give something really interesting.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
As far as I'm concerned Retro has released 4 classic games, I'm sure this will be another one.

apana

Retro had a brilliant concept artist Andrew Jones produce a lot of the art behind Metroid Prime. I think he is gone now but I would love to see his take on Zelda.

motherBxyflat.jpg

federationtrooper.jpg

6.jpg

Quoting myself from the last Retro thread.

[Nintex]

So you hire one guy and say he represents an entire game.

thisisneogafdude.gif

Well you usually hire people with certain experiences to work on certain games. For example the first team at Retro Studios was mostly former Turok, iD and some other guys. So Nintendo made Metroid Prime a first person game. The Darksiders guy, Uncharted guy and some other guys like the 'I can make big landscapes from data or something way too smart guy' indicate that their next title has a 'big environment' but also 'story based' and most likely third person as they hired animators who're experienced with that sort of thing.

it's gotta be zelda right? after the last ones, i really think the series needs some new ideas and after what these guys did with metroid, and the return of DK, i'm HYPED to see their take on zelda is gonna be like. e3 2012 is gonna be a blast!

Johnas

Wow, this is the first piece of gaming news to really pique my interest in a long while.

I would love to see Retro create an amazing new Zelda title, SS just didn't quite do it for me.

I love what they did for Metroid, but part of me wants to see what else they can do, and forget about Metroid for now. Unless they're up to some kind of killer sequel to Fusion.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping for a new IP rather than Retro's take on a Nintendo franchise, but I have a feeling it'll be just that.

If it is, I'd be cool to see Zelda or Star Fox. I wonder how a Retro RPG would work (I donno why, but I thought of Earthbound first).

Alrus

Bring back all the members of Retro who left after the original Metroid Prime and fuse them with these new people to make the ultimate studio.

I don't think Nintendo wants them back.

What happened to those guys anyway? They left Retro to get more freedom (or something like that) then they never produced anything.

[Nintex]

They have a terrible website. Not a reflection of their games at all.

They're owned 100% by Nintendo so NOA's site is basically their site. I'm surprised they still have a site actually.

What happened to those guys anyway? They left Retro to get more freedom (or something like that) then they never produced anything.
The Armature boys had multiple deals that all went south. They wanted to be like Mistwalker but for EA, like thinking up new IP's, prototypes and ideas while someone else developed. But the studio they partnered with at EA got shuttered so they had to build up their own staff to develop games and they actually had a deal with Capcom for a title. For some reason Capcom pulled out so that was gone too so they made some assets for HALO: CEA I believe and if I'm not mistaken they're currently working on a Vita game to be published by Sony.

apana

Well after the original Metroid Prime a bunch went to EA and a few to Sony Santa Monica. Then the three major leads of the studio left after Metroid Prime trilogy was finished. They are the ones who developed Armature.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well after the original Metroid Prime a bunch went to EA and a few to Sony Santa Monica. Then the three major leads of the studio left after Metroid Prime trilogy was finished. They are the ones who developed Armature.

Retro is like the impossible studio. I find it amazing that they managed to preserve fantastic gameplay and fantastic art design between two completely different genres and visual styles, plus losing major members of their staff. Didn't they lose a couple of people after DKCR as well?

Haunted

That's some solid talent. Looks like Retro's next project is fairly high-profile if it can attract leads from other developers.

tzare

Metroid going TPS and scripted ?

Well, i was not interested at all in Wii-U, now this could change things a bit.

Orayn

Retro is like the impossible studio. I find it amazing that they managed to preserve fantastic gameplay and fantastic art design between two completely different genres and visual styles, plus losing major members of their staff. Didn't they lose a couple of people after DKCR as well?
The Studio of Theseus, bro. They just can't stop being amazing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
[Nintex];34161813 said:
They're owned 100% by Nintendo so NOA's site is basically their site. I'm surprised they still have a site actually.

"Our Nintendo Direct show taught us that there's value in talking directly to fans"

*crickets as Nintendo has failed to notice the great many efforts all of their competitors make in terms of developer websites, platform blogs, etc*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom