• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony trademark snooping (ND's game..?)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sony has registered a couple of interesting marks in the last few months, which are showing up online now. Figured a couple might be of interest..

I guess perhaps the most interesting is "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune", registered by SCEA last August. I haven't seen mention made of it before, it may have only appeared online recently. I think it's interesting because it seems like a perfect fit for Naughty Dog's untitled game. Drake's Fortune is likely a reference to Sir Francis Drake, the famous English navigator...he had some adventures in the Caribbean, and during that time had to abandon a treasure of silver. IIRC, Naughty Dog's trailer makes references to lost treasure and maps in and around that locale..

A few others - in December they (re)registered Motor Toon Grand Prix. If they're protecting it again it would seem to confirm their intentions to sell the game again i.e. via PSN, as Phil Harrison has previously hinted.

SCEE trademarked this in January:

beatsus6.jpg

With this description:

Providing access to gaming, digital music and/or video web sites; providing wireless transmission of music, video and games, via the Internet and via communications networks; uploading and downloading of music, video and games, via the Internet and via communications networks; providing on-line bulletin boards for the transmission of messages among computer users concerning games, music and videos; distribution of computer software relating to music, video and games over local or global communications networks; communication services in the form of matching users for the transfer of music and video recordings via communication networks; information, advisory and consultancy services relating to all the aforesaid

Also trademarked what is probably the logo for the new eyetoy..one wonders what eyetoy 2 was..

eye3tz3.jpg

That's about all the interesting stuff, as far as I can see.

Busty

Banned
Great work as always GoFreak. I think that you may just have uncovered the title for the Naugty Dog game after all.

theBishop

Banned
On a barely-related note, did you know Nathan Hale was America's first spy in the revolutionary war?

He had the quote "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." right before he was executed by the British.

Considering
the cutscene after the credits roll
, that seems to be a hint in the Resistance storyline.

Maybe everyone but me already knew that. I'm not much of a history student.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
herod said:
Probably to match the PS3 and avoid confusion.

Yeah probably. They could eventually tell you that the smaller, silver eyetoy model was actually eyetoy 2.

What's interestint tho, is that they got rid of the "toy" part of the brand...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I can't help but read the eyetoy logo as "EYE EYE EYE"

and then I think of Crazy Train.

Busty

Banned
TTP said:
Yeah probably. They could eventually tell you that the smaller, silver eyetoy model was actually eyetoy 2.

Either that or the PSP's Eyetoy.....whenever that comes out.

EDIT - Curses, beaten.

TTP said:
What's interestint tho, is that they got rid of the "toy" part of the brand...

Agreed. Though I've heard, and there was a video kicking around Youtube that showed it, that this time around the Eyetoy for the PS3 the Eyetoy will be more of a fully featured input device rather than a simple gaming 'gimmick'.

Though not totally the same, it's thought to be similar to the 'Minority Report' style input that was talked about ages.

Wollan

Are you guys saying that the Nintendo 64 didn't come after the 63rd console? What about the X360? Numbers. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sp0rsk said:
I can't help but read the eyetoy logo as "EYE EYE EYE"

and then I think of Crazy Train.
:lol Naturally, I can't look at it and think any differently now either.

Busty

Banned
Bud said:
Uncharted: Drakes blabla is kinda lame imo :/

I have to say, I like it. It's growing on me. I get a vague Pirates Of the Carribean/Indiana Jones vibe from it, but it's still strangely original.

Mind you I'm just thankful that it's not called 'BIG'......now that was lame. :lol

Wollan

buckfutter said:
Uncharted is a pretty good name. Uncharted: Requisite Subtitle is lame.

What is it with videogames and subtitles?

Hopefully it's more like this:

jakdaxter_ps2_pal.jpg

Small subtitle font that is.

theBishop

Banned
buckfutter said:
Uncharted is a pretty good name. Uncharted: Requisite Subtitle is lame.

What is it with videogames and subtitles?

same as hollywood. the usual sequel-digit is seen as cheapening the product.

Nobody calls "The Two Towers": "Lord of the Rings 2"

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Good work gofreak. Very interesting finds. I wonder when they will officially announce these trademarks.

Busty

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
Good work gofreak. Very interesting finds. I wonder when they will officially announce these trademarks.

Luke Smith talked about a Gamer's Day in April. Presumably this will be the next big event for Sony to reveal something.

There's also GDC, but has that every been an event that Sony has used to announce something big?

I wonder what Sony will do (if anything) instead of their E3 press conference this summer. I suppose they could still have it for the big announcements and use the potential Gamer's Day in April as an opportunity 'to touch base' with the fans and show a few new titles and maybe see the likes of LAIR and some PSN stuff.... WarHawk perhaps?

Yoboman

Busty said:
Luke Smith talked about a Gamer's Day in April. Presumably this will be the next big event for Sony to reveal something.

There's also GDC, but has that every been an event that Sony has used to announce something big?

I wonder what Sony will do (if anything) instead of their E3 press conference this summer. I suppose they could still have it for the big announcements and use the potential Gamer's Day in April as an opportunity 'to touch base' with the fans and show a few new titles and maybe see the likes of LAIR and some PSN stuff.... WarHawk perhaps?
We might see a technology demo at GDC if we're lucky

theBishop

Banned
Busty said:

I wouldn't expect anything big out of GDC, but with Phil Harrison giving a keynote, at least there should be some decent new game footage. And since the theme of his speech is always-connected gameplay, he might drop some more hints about their user-created content push.

acevans2

This was never really the "Eyetoy 2" but it's different from the original Eyetoy.

0071171976000_AV_500X500.jpg

original:

pic_eyetoy_camera.jpg

The Eyetoy isn't revolutionary, but it has a lot of potential nobody has bothered tapping into. I have Eyetoy Play 1 & 2 and still bust it out everytime my sister comes to visit. If the new camera ends up displaying HD and detects more exact movements, I'd buy it when I get a PS3.

Busty

Banned
theBishop said:
I wouldn't expect anything big out of GDC, but with Phil Harrison giving a keynote, at least there should be some decent new game footage. And since the theme of his speech is always-connected gameplay, he might drop some more hints about their user-created content push.

True, I imagine we'll probably get some more PSN stuff, showing how their EDI is working with smaller developers. Maybe some Eye3 stuff?

Sony never actually relesed the footage of Ratchett and Clank from last years CGD did they? It was sneaked out by some good hearted attendee IIRC.

Hopefully whoever she/he is, is in attendance this year. :D

mckmas8808

Banned
April is a perfect time to talk and show new titles. This month should be the month to show the games coming out in March.

Haunted

Nice finds, gofreak - maybe a nice tag is in order?

I like the title 'Uncharted' w/o the subtitles more. When are they going to show us more of the game, damnit!

xaosslug

this is probably one of the few times that one of these "trademark snooping" threads that was actually thread worthy. What could:
beatsus6.jpg

be?

Haunted

xaosslug said:
this is probably one of the few times that one of these "trademark snooping" threads that was actually thread worthy. What could:
beatsus6.jpg

be?
The description makes it sound like an alternative to itunes. Maybe SonicStage for more than just music with a rebranding?

Wollan

Could be a drum game or guitar game. The Sing Store will be opening this spring on the PS Store and the HD music videos bought there can be played in the XMB as normal videos. Or they can be used in SingStar for karaoke. Maybe they can be used in Beats as well?

Doctor_No

Wollan said:
Could be a drum game or guitar game. The Sing Store will be opening this spring on the PS Store and the HD music videos bought there can be played in the XMB as normal videos. Or they can be used in SingStar for karaoke. Maybe they can be used in Beats as well?

... or they can do Singstar + "Beats" + Guitar Hero and have a virtual garage band. :D

reminder

E. DANIEL AREY

E. Daniel Arey is the Creative Director of Naughty Dog studios, a division of Sony Computer Entertainment America. As a writer, director, and senior designer with over 19 years of experience, Dan has worked with publishers ranging from Electronic Arts, Accolade, Sega of America, Crystal Dynamics, and Sony.

An early proponent of interactive and convergent media, Dan led the earliest titles in this regard during his tenure as Design Manager for Crystal Dynamics. At Crystal, Dan designed games using film content and stronger narrative techniques as early as 1992 and has been an industry leader in story enhanced gaming for more than a decade.

Continuing his career at Naughty Dog, Dan has been involved in the design of the Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter series, two best selling franchises that have together sold more than 35 million units.

Dan has been involved in the design and IP development of the following best selling titles:

• Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (PS3) - 2007
• Daxter (PSP) - 2006
• Jak X (PS2) – 2005
• Jak 3 PS2) - 2004
• Jak II (PS2) - 2003
• Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS2) - 2001
• Crash Team Racing (PS1) - 1999
• Crash 3: Warped (PS1) - 1998
• Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1) – 1997
• Gex: Enter the Gecko (PS1) - 1997
• Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - 1996
• Gex 3DO - 1995
• Blazing Dragons (Dragon Tails license w/ Terry Jones of Monty Python) (PS1) - 1994
• Total Eclipse (3D0) – 1993
• Crash ‘n Burn (3D0) – 1993

http://www.swaincorp.com/488/

:)

J-Rzez

Nice job GoFreak! Now if you can do a lil' more detective work and find us some new pics or text, anything on the new ND game that you may have uncovered the title of :D

EDIT:

Reminder nice job too! So that's the title then... NICE... now... about the pics of gameplay or some new tech talk...

Oneself

Cool!! Can't wait to see more of Uncharted!!!

And I hope they make Motor Toon GP a Tekken DR / Gripshift - like HD upgrade... or a stand alone big budget blu-ray.

Ok, now what's up with Jet Moto Sony?

Chrono

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
April is a perfect time to talk and show new titles. This month should be the month to show the games coming out in March.

No April is too far. :'(

I'm hoping for some new media at GDC.

Elios83

Cool, now it would be even better if Sony planned a media event to show PS3 games as soon as possible.
Why don't you try to find out something about this too gofreak?:D :D

Elios83

Don't know if this is new but a team called "ICE team" has been created within Naughty Dog to develop a 1st party game engine which can be used by 1st/2nd party game studios. It seems some of the PS3 technologies in development at Naughty Dog will be discussed at the upcoming GDC.

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-23980.aspx

https://www.cmpevents.com/GD07/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=516484

Word on the street is that Sony is working on a 1st party game engine for 1st/2nd party game studios to use, for their PS3 games. The codename for this engine is "ICE" Engine.

Although this article doesn't confirm there's an actual "engine" in development, this IS a confirmation that there is an ICE TEAM headed by the Lead Programmer of Naughty Dog, David Simpson and guided with the help of Mark Cerny of CERNY GAMES.

Quote:
David Simpson is the Project Manager of the ICE team, a Sony Computer Entertainment first party technology group based at Naughty Dog, specializing in graphics systems and tools for the PlayStation 3. For the last ten years David has been at Sony writing performance oriented graphics systems for the PlayStation family of consoles.

Quote:
Mark Cerny has been working in game design and technology for 25 years. He designed and programmed 1984's Marble Madness for Atari coin-op, and at Sega he oversaw the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. While president of Universal Studios' game division, he worked in a variety of production and design roles on the Crash Bandicootand Spyro the Dragon series on the original Playstation.

In 1998, Mark established Cerny Games as a consultancy, and has since participated in the creation of the Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank series on Playstation 2 and the Playstation 3 launch title Resistance:Fall Of Man. He has also been instrumental in the creation and guidance of the ICE team, a technology group based at Naughty Dog that specializes in graphics systems and tools for the PlayStation 3. In 2004 the IGDA honored Mark with its Lifetime Achievement Award, calling him a "master collaborator" and a "jack of all trades."

Quote:
Session:
RSX Best Practices
Speaker: Mark Cerny (Cerny Games), Jon Olick (Lead Programmer, Naughty Dog), David Simpson (Lead Programmer, Naughty Dog)
Date/Time: Thursday (March 8, 2007) 2:30pm — 3:30pm
Location (room): Room 3001, West Hall
Track: Programming
Format: 60-minute Lecture
Experience Level: Intermediate

Session Description
During the runup to launch, Sony Worldwide Studios learned a great deal about creating high performance graphics applications on the Playstation 3. Much attention has already been devoted to shader programming, so this talk focuses instead on the other half of the equation; topics discussed will include the origin and usage of the libgcm API, algorithms for optimal use of the RSX vertex cache, and use of the CELL in tandem with the RSX including necessary synchronization techniques. This material has never been presented before in an open forum.

Idea Takeaway
The audience members will learn a number of techniques used in SCE 1st party games, with a focus on using the CELL in tandem with the RSX.

Intended Audience
This session is intended for graphics programmers who already know how to make surfaces bumpy and shiny, and are interested in learning other useful techniques for the PlayStation 3.

Top Bottom