• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You wouldn't believe what my gamestop employee told me.

Proelite

After watching Rush Hour 3, which was like an overstretched lolcat, I decided to pay my local gamestop a visit to see if they had the new premiums with HDMI. Here is the transcript of the conversation below.

Me: Hey, do you have the Premiums with the hdmi?
GT: Those are called the elites. They are right there.
ME: No, I mean the premiums, *points*, with hdmi.
GT: They're not making them yet till like later.
ME: They're making them now, I've seen pictures of them online.
GT: No, they're not. You got it wrong.
ME: Nowai.
GT: Let me explain, they're making the elites into premiums, and dropping the core.
ME: WHAA..
GT: Microsoft told me they're making the elites into premiums, and later they're releasing xbox ultimate.
ME: WTF is that?
GT: It's the xbox 360 that has a hdmi, and a HD-DVD drive to compete with blu-ray.
ME: Are they putting HD-DVD games on it?
GT: Yeah, Microsoft is competing against Blu-ray.
ME: Orly, what about the 9 million people that bought 360 last year. They're fucked! lol
GT: No, they're fine.
ME: The 360 can't play HD-DVD right now.
GT: Well it could, sort of. The xbox ultimate and the HD-DVD drive just makes it more HD.
ME: ...
ME: Uh, so who do you think will win the war.
GT: Blu-ray or HD-DVD, too early to tell.
ME: Not that one. The other one.
GT: Uh, 360 man.
ME: The Wii is kicking it's ass right now.
GT: Well, you see, the wii is in another market by itself on the side.
ME: It's new-gen.
GT: Yeah.
ME: It's nice talking to you. I tell my forum about xbox ultimate.
GT: Peace out.

Heard here first, XBOX ULTIMATE with HD-DVD coming out in 2008. More HD than ever before!

Edit: It might be true, but I don't think the employee knew the jest of what he was told.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Everyone having these stories after watching RH3... WTF.

BTW...

XBOX 360 ULTIMATE CONFIRMED! WOHOOO

joking of course

why are GS employees more idiot then the average gamer. Its come to the poitn where i call bullshiton them if they're are telling customers lies. Just like an employee was telling this little boy that the next editions of pokemore were coming out this holiday and he needed diamond or pearl to play them :|. The little kid almost fell for it to. What an asshole!

aoi tsuki

There needs to be an official thread for the bullshit spewed at retail. i'll also add that dealing with dorks who don't fact check or just make shit up is a large reason why i don't shop at retail any more than necessary.

Threi

notag
RiskyChris said:
You mean you don't need to know aboot video games to work at EBStop?

One of the prerequisites is to make up bullshit on the spot with customers to feign intelligence.

I mean you wouldn't want them to look like a two-bit operation, would you?

A case where another game stop employee doesn't know what they are talking about and doesn't keep in touch with recent gaming news. :lol

For doctors it's medical journals and for game store employees it's Kotaku, NeoGAF.

i wonder if a prereq for being a GS employ is BSing with a straight face. They test you on the public and if show any type of remorse they knock you out of the store with one of those big fists attached to a retractable crank.

Xisiqomelir

saran81kid91 said:
A case where another game stop employee doesn't know what they are talking about and doesn't keep in touch with recent gaming news. :lol

For doctors it's medical journals and for game store employees it's Kotaku, NeoGAF.

People read Kotaku?

Thoren

Banned
Man you just let him walk all over you in that conversation. Your blood should have boiled hotter than the steeds of Apollo, and the fury of NeoGAF should have been unleashed upon him. Silly Game Stop Employees, your Play Magazine and GameFAQs forums video game education is a mere twenty-eight-point-five-seven-one-four percent as powerful as ours!

Proelite

What pissed me off was the fact that he was so firm on his beliefs. I've tried to tell him that current 360 don't play HD-DVDs for several minutes. Apparently, that's what he preached along, that 360s are HD-DVD players.

angelfly

Thoren said:
Man you just let him walk all over you in that conversation. Your blood should have boiled hotter than the steeds of Apollo, and the fury of NeoGAF should have been unleashed upon him. Silly Game Stop Employees, your Play Magazine and GameFAQs forums video game education is a mere twenty-eight-point-five-seven-one-four percent as powerful as ours!

Or he could have just knocked down a couple of racks

Proelite

saran81kid91 said:
You should really take a print out of Amazon's XBOX 360 Premium with HDMI and see what the employee says.

Oh man, I wonder what shit he would have spewed if I had one of those today. :lol :lol :lol This guy wasn't an idiot by any means, he had a comeback to everything i said right off the bat. It's a sign of practice and experience.

angelfly said:
Or he could have just knocked down a couple of racks
based on wha the employee was saying there was no cahnging his mind. Unless there was someone else there to back up his claims, the employee was probably too stubborn to accpept that he was wrong.

I still think I got a deal talking a guy into giving me his Premium for $180 w/2 wireless controllers and a play and charge kit.

Although it looks like MGS4 isn't going to be on multiple discs anymore, then. TGS announcement confirmed?

Arnie

"Hey, Gamestop retard employee, can you keep a secret??!?", whispers Microsoft with an excited childlike grin.
"Err, ye...", replies the gamestop trainee with a look of puzzlement slapped across his face.
"Were releasing a new SKU called the XBOX ULTIMATE. Dont worry we arent seperating our install base by allowing hard-drive only games but we are splitting open our user base by allowing hd-dvd games. But were only telling you because it's a secret"

This is the worst rumour ive heard all day, if this prophecy comes true i will eat my own face.

Proelite

If every gamestop employee is like this, then sony has absolutely no chance in the US this generation. It's the sad but the true.

painey

phew.. its ok guys, I know you were all believers but this guy right here, -ARNiE-, has figured it out, its not really happening. Thanks to the incredible mind of -ARNiE-, his amazing powers of deduction, and no doubt his raw throbbing sex appeal, we can put this rumor to bed. We are truly lucky to live in a world with -ARNiE-.

Thoren

Banned
Armitage said:
Welcome to Gamestop, where you can trade and save. Preorder Halo 3 to ensure your copy! How can I help you?

No preorder? You sure? You don't want to? C'mon, preorder. Man don't be upset if you don't get a copy when it comes out! Oh yeah want a guide with that game? No guide? What if you get stuck?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Xisiqomelir said:
People read Kotaku?

I read Kotaku!

Btw videogame store employee often don't know much about videogames. One part of them is the regular fanboy who will make up shit according to his current bias or your regular salesman who is here to SELL, yeah kid if you don't buy that shit your parents are gonna die from cancer IN THE ASS!!!!

But I always feel like the neerdiest nerd in nerdland when I get their bullshit so I neverreply like should, only "yeah...hmm..."

newsguy

The next time I walk into a Gamestop empty handed and the kid behind the counter shouts "you have any trade-ins for us today?" I'm going to punch him in the face and kick the magazine rack onto his bloody face.

Thats like the dude working at Gamestop today, he was speaking with a customer on the phone who was asking when Too Human comes out.

The Gamestop employee says, "It was delayed til next year cause Halo 3 is coming this fall"

Guy Legend

newsguy said:
The next time I walk into a Gamestop empty handed and the kid behind the counter shouts "you have any trade-ins for us today?" I'm going to punch him in the face and kick the magazine rack onto his bloody face.

Fuck yeah.

Narcosis

I wonder if my local Gamestop will wanna try to get me to pre order an Xbox Ultimate next time I go in.
That would be so awesome to be the first one!

Ooohhhh, ooohhhh! Did they say anything about Wii2 or PS4??

calder

I've heard some truly astounding lies and ridiculously inaccurate claims at game stores, but I can rarely tell when it's just a truly clueless employee being dumb or a bored, bitter counter jockey just spewing shit to combat the crushing spiritual emptiness that working at a videogame store in the mall must generate.

There needs to be a sign they use to indicate "oh, I'm just fucking with this kid trading in his 40 GBA carts by pretending Halo was just announced for Wii, ignore me" and "yeah I know this is bullshit but I have 2 days to make my quota" to onlookers.

Alex

I'm not sure who is worse, the childish employees or the grown man who sits and argues about video game sales with him.

Threi

notag
the saddest part of all of this is that they never ever talk about Dreamcast 2

i mean WHAT THE HELL MAN?

Alex said:
I'm not sure who is worse, the childish employees or the grown man who sits and argues about video game sales with him.

I would say the guy that spends time pondering which is worse in said situation.

I was at Best Buy the other night and overheard a Best Buy lackey telling a guy who was buying a PS3 to get the warranty, because they are getting tons of PS3's coming back broken.

Top Bottom