• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google testing new design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Logo, buttons, text to the right of the search box.

http://www.google.com/images/srpr/logo1w.png

Screen%20shot%202009-11-20%20at%2011.32.30%20PM.png

Left sidebar, which adjusts according to your search.

Screen%20shot%202009-11-20%20at%2011.47.30%20PM.png

Screen%20shot%202009-11-20%20at%2011.34.42%20PM.png

Bottom Gooooogle.

Screen%20shot%202009-11-20%20at%2011.47.11%20PM.png

--------

Want? You'll need to edit your cookies.

Google stores a cookie named PREF. Change that PREF value to: ID=20b6e4c2f44943bb:U=4bf292d46faad806:TM=1249677602:LM=1257919388:S=odm0Ys-53ZueXfZG

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10222 or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13793

Screen%20shot%202009-11-21%20at%2012.06.55%20AM.png

Safari: ~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist

Code:
	<key>Domain</key>
		<string>.google.com</string>
		<key>Expires</key>
		<date>2011-11-21T04:26:56Z</date>
		<key>Name</key>
		<string>[B]PREF[/B]</string>
		<key>Path</key>
		<string>/</string>
		<key>Value</key>
	        <string>[B]ID=20b6e4c2f44943bb:U=4bf292d46faad806:TM=1249677602:LM=1257919388:S=odm0Ys-53ZueXfZG[/B]</string>

RevoDS

I'd rather have them follow the rumored Wave-like UI across their product range than this abomination. The only good part of it is the left sidebar which is now on by default as opposed to having to click the options button every visit. Also, huge increase in ads, bringing Google right up there with those parked domain pages.

Juice

I dig this a lot. I generally hate the style of all Google pages, but this looks pretty nice without sacrificing their stranglehold on sparse white page trade dress.

Oh, and to ^, I've got a feeling the Wave GWT theme is coming to all their non-search thick apps in the next year or two.

Dead Man

RevoDS said:
I'd rather have them follow the rumored Wave-like UI across their product range than this abomination. The only good part of it is the left sidebar which is now on by default as opposed to having to click the options button every visit. Also, huge increase in ads, bringing Google right up there with those parked domain pages.
Yep.

giga

zoku88 said:
I mainly did it to illustrate how the sidebar works, where it adjusts according to your search. That and I didn't actually want to load up the actual website.

ggnoobIGN said:
They're testing something like a dozen new interfaces I read. Including one with no buttons on the main page.
I think a dozen is probably an understatement. There's another where only the search box is shown, but as you type in there, the rest of the UI is faded in.

But to me, the biggest shock is that they seem to be de-emphasizing the drop shadow in the Google logo.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's a search box, buttons, and results. What's there to hate?

A side bar that is redundant since the top bar has the same options, but doesn't take up a good chunk of the screen.

Anyone else getting this?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It just got activated for me in one of Chrome's incognito windows. Wish it was actually for my account. :/

NewGoogle01.png

NewGoogle02.png

As I buzzed:

Andrex @ Buzz said:
Logo is much higher res and looks nice, if a bit orange, and I like that they decided to keep the search buttons native instead of blue. Another thing to note is that links are a lighter color and no longer underlined, and that the left sidebar is now both default and unhide-able.

Cardigan

I noticed this a couple of days ago. Kinda surprised me at first since it seems like Google has had its current design for ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom