• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can Nintendo improve upon in Smash 4 Switch from a technical perspective?

Or better yet, what do you think Nintendo is most likely to improve on from the Wii U version?

While Smash 4 Switch hasn't been officially confirmed yet by Nintendo, it's almost guaranteed, considering its one of Wii U's heavy hit sellers that appeals to a wide audience like Mario Kart.

Now from a technical perspective, what can we expect? Here's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, LoZ:Breath of the Wild, and Pokken Tournament Switch improvements over Wii U for comparison:

MK8 Deluxe
-720p to 1080p jump which takes about 2.25x the processing power on its own
59 to 60fps improvement. Fixed a weird frame skipping issue from the wii u version
-higher quality shadows
-added confetti

Breath of the Wild
-900p in docked mode vs Wii U's 720p with added filter rate
-frame rate is significantly more stable in docked and handheld
*this game by no means is fully taking advantage of Switch hardware, as it was built from the ground up on Wii U

Pokken Tournament Deluxe
-960 x 720 resolution to a more standard 1280 x 720
-everything else is tenatative and performance could improve by release in sept

So what can we expect from Nintendo on Smash 4 Switch considering all we know on MK8 and Pokken Tournament Deluxe?
Added content is pretty much guaranteed. There's a good chance that we'll get 3DS stages to make it the definitive version. But also characters like ice climbers, wolf, inkling are shoe ins if we get more characters. But from a technical perspective...The game is already running at 1080p native and 60fps on the Wii U. I barely play 8 players, so I don't know about frame rate dips on that mode on wii u. If we get ice climbers, the Switch's superior CPU should be able to handle 8 ice climber battles and lock at 60fps.. But how likely can we expect features like anti aliasing, improved lighting, textures, and perhaps even geometry on a console that is roughly 4x as powerful as its predecessor?

Also what technical features would you like on Smash 4 Switch, regardless of how likely it is based on past treatments of ports from Nintendo?

Probably just some tightened up models and geometry. Maybe some better online features.

They'll make Melee HD beforehand for practice on online. ;^)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Smash WiiU still looks and plays great - dont expect more than 1080p/60 on the technical side.
The difference will be more content.

There were a ton of stages they couldn't get working in 8-player Smash becuase of how much activity there was going on. That'd be a big one.

Honestly though, SSB for Wii U performing and looking as good as it did was pretty amazing. Crisp 1080p with no hitches in its 60fps framerate, and the only first-party game to pull that off. I'm beyond grateful they got the juice they did out of the Wii U.

Berordn

I really wouldn't expect much in the way of improved lighting or geometry, but the additional power would likely open up more stages for 8 player mode.

Better texture work on some of the returning Brawl stages would be nice, but I don't think there was actually anything stopping them from doing that before.

OryoN

Better net code!

But yeah, I forgot this game was already 1080p-60fps. Very impressive for Wii U. Not much more you can do there but add new modes/characters. Having it on the go is already a huge "upgrade" in itself though, imo.

-shadow-

Just technically? Some AA and nothing else honestly. The game is already 1080p/60fps pretty much perfectly, so nothing they can improve there outside of the AA. Or downsample, that'd be pretty sweet.

I think a smash 4 deluxe would significantly undercut smash 5. There aren't really popular characters or features missing at this point. Nothing could top Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man and Ryu or the ability to play with 8 people at once.

This is kind of expanding from OP's original premise, but I'm not sure what they'd add to Smash 5 that would make it as substantial an improvement (in terms of character count, stages, etc) as the previous entries.

1080P/60FPS locked

8-Player smash with no restricted stages?

Ice Climbers

New paint mechanic for Inklings (cover the stage in paint to auto-refill and travel)

Codeblue

Game is already great from a technical perspective. Runs fine, I've never dropped any frames.

The improvement the game needs is mostly in its online options and character balancing.

Mark1

The game ran beautifully on Wii U, if they can emulate that exact experience (aside from the 720p screen) on a handheld that in itself would be incredible to play.

What else could you ask for with this?

If you refer to extra methods of play then honestly just an offline tournament mode. And 3DS stages uprezzed for the HD console.

Probably lighting. Some Smash stages look great while others look dull due to the lighting.
Though with the time they're taking they might benefit of just making it a new Smash game instead of billing it as a remaster
Hope they fix Link's character model and add costumes. Making costumes just for Miis seems like a huge waste.
Also, more single player stuff

Better AA, Ice Climbers return (I believe it wasnt in smash 4 due to technical reasons).

Of course, if they include all the 3DS levels, those would be remade with new geometry, texture work, etc.

NotLiquid

I think a smash 4 deluxe would significantly undercut smash 5. There aren't really popular characters or features missing at this point. Nothing could top Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man and Ryu or the ability to play with 8 people at once.

This is kind of expanding from OP's original premise, but I'm not sure what they'd add to Smash 5 that would make it as substantial an improvement (in terms of character count, stages, etc) as the previous entries.

The Wii U version of Smash 4 was one of the lesser selling entries of the series and since there's still a big tournament scene behind it, it wouldn't be surprising to see Nintendo push out a port that combines some 3DS exclusive features and maybe one or two new characters as a cherry on top. Like you say, there's probably not a whole lot for them to do with Smash 5 as of present, so I'd imagine Nintendo are probably content with updating Smash 4 a bit, throw in one or two glaring ommissions (notably the Inklings) and call it a day for this generation of Smash.

There's just no way Smash is going to miss out on what's Nintendo's hottest new console which could recoup some of the lost Wii U sales, and he basically said in an interview a while ago to expect Smash on the console eventually (plus in a separate interview he confirmed there were more Wii U ports planned).

maxcriden

The longer we go without hearing of a Smash port, the likelier I think it is we will get something at least called Smash 5 on Switch rather than a port.

woopWOOP

Like half the stages weren't playable in 5/8-player Smash. Making all of them selectable would be a pretty big improvement to me.

Same with Custom Stage (if there's enough ground to start 5-8 players with atleast)

GenG3000

Better online modes. A ranked mode is due and I want ARMS' party lobby in this since it would benefit from Smash's variety of game modes and scenarios.

There were a ton of stages they couldn't get working in 8-player Smash becuase of how much activity there was going on. That'd be a big one.

Honestly though, SSB for Wii U performing and looking as good as it did was pretty amazing. Crisp 1080p with no hitches in its 60fps framerate, and the only first-party game to pull that off. I'm beyond grateful they got the juice they did out of the Wii U.

Same here. But it would be disappointing to me if we just got a straight port that didn't use Switch's power.

I don't mind if we don't get texture or polygon improvements.. But I wonder how the game would look like with 2x anti aliasing. improving on effects like shadows, explosions, and lighting also would be likely.

Griss

Improved geometry on the playable characters and nothing else.

I'm assuming that they worked off high detail reference models and then scaled down the level of polygonal detail until they hit 60 fps on the Wii u. Well, start with the detailed models again and do the same until you reach the limit on switch. Considering the extra overhead it should make for much better looking characters without having to redo all that much elsewhere.

The Wii U version of Smash 4 was one of the lesser selling entries of the series and since there's still a big tournament scene behind it, it wouldn't be surprising to see Nintendo push out a port that combines some 3DS exclusive features and maybe one or two new characters as a cherry on top. Like you say, there's probably not a whole lot for them to do with Smash 5 as of present, so I'd imagine Nintendo are probably content with updating Smash 4 a bit, throw in one or two glaring ommissions (notably the Inklings) and call it a day for this generation of Smash.
I don't know that Nintendo would want the Switch to be their first console since the Super Nintendo to not have an original Smash Bros game released for it, but I do agree (obviously) that they've packed the series with about as much content as the vast majority of gamers will ever experience. They seem to be in a bit of a pickle there, but maybe HAL has some fresh ideas to implement that we haven't considered.

gafneo

Banned
They need a target lock mode so I can follow who to fight in 4 player modes.

If maps get so big that it makes players tiny, they need a player marker.

Let's face it, we all use random to select characters but no one wants to play as Olamar. We need an option to assign a favorites roster for each player account. This way I can comfortably play as any non Pokémon or Fire Emblem character.

Adventure mode needs to be less platforming, more Final Fight.

Arcade mode needs more options. Like a 1v1 mode & a 2v2 co-op.

Blocking should be automatic if controller is not touched.

By pressing both attack & special at the same time, I want to see a combo.

Smash Attack should be holding in a direction then button while they absorb power like Samus's arm cannon. Once fully charged it makes a cool sound to indicate you have maxed out strength.

When punching a player a bar shows above their head with a meter. With each hit, numbers appear over head with negative numbers reducing player guard. Once meter is down player will be vulnerable to a smash attack ender.

Xbro

I don't know that Nintendo would want the Switch to be their first console since the Super Nintendo to not have an original Smash Bros game released for it, but I do agree (obviously) that they've packed the series with about as much content as the vast majority of gamers will ever experience. They seem to be in a bit of a pickle there, but maybe HAL has some fresh ideas to implement that we haven't considered.

Assuming HAL would even touch this game.

Just make Smash 5 and make it more like melee.

tenor.gif

Just make Smash 5 and make it more like melee.

Thankfully, they won't ever follow this line of thought. Melee fans don't want another game, they want Melee HD, and nintendo is fully aware of this. You might get Melee on virtual console if GC VC is a thing eventually, but that's it.

Top Bottom