• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N++ |OT| Time is money

Probably a silly question but if I enjoyed N+ on 360, will I also enjoy this? I bought a PS4 a few months ago but completely forgot about this game. I've got some PSN cash to burn .

Its everything you ever wanted out of a N+ sequel.

But personally... there are too many levels. I burned out on the game. All the levels I played were great, but there is something to be said for a more curated experience. The game is also hard as balls if your going for record times.

The new patch is 1.05 and there wasn't any note of that in the update history when I looked.

On the stat screen there is now a section that show how many times you got killed by which enemy. I don't think that was there before.
Yeah, I thought I saw it was 1.05.

Patch notes: Important and Fun. :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The patch fixes the bug where the gold badges weren't showing/registering. Some additional info are added in the stats section, totaling up more types of accomplishments. There's also some kind of save recovery function.

But personally... there are too many levels. I burned out on the game. All the levels I played were great, but there is something to be said for a more curated experience.
Nah man, it just means you can keep coming back for more. More levels you haven't gotten to yet, and more challenges (secret exits).

Alkuk

Neo Member
Hi there,

so the new patch fixes the gold-badge-issue!? So I can continue playing? Fine.

One thing that bothers me a little is a post from a PSN-Friend:
He said (after the newest patch) that in X-18 for example, he dies what seems random to him, for no obvious reason.
It happened in hardcore Levels with ninja-doubles ...

I have not played any "X-Levels". Could it be maybe he is missing something that is intenionally happening in these hardcore-levels?

bye
Alkuk

EDIT: A video example ... strange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC0Gn_-5qW8

raigan

Neo Member
hey everyone,
I'm afraid that the patch has a bug: in certain situations some of the evil ninjas are invisible, making a few levels impossible.

We've already figured out what the problem is, so it should be patched soon (sadly it seems to take us 1-2 weeks to actually get through cert without issues though).

I'm really sorry about this "fix a bug, create a new bug" pattern that all of our patches suffer from. It's really embarrassing! :/

The good news: we've found a new programmer, and they've been working on porting N++ to Steam for the past month or so. There are still a few more months of work -- we want to add all of the planned post-launch-update stuff that got put on hold when our team imploded -- but we will definitely be bringing N++ to Steam. We're still looking at other platforms too.

Anyway, thanks for your continued support... and please keep letting us know if you find any new bugs.

Raigan

raigan

Neo Member
Also: we added a partial progress recovery function, press Triangle when in the Profile menu to recover progress that you may have lost due to the save-file corruption bug.

This uses info on the highscore server to determine which episodes you've beaten; sadly it can't recover all-gold badges/etc since they're only stored locally.

Hopefully this helps a bit. We're both really sorry that that bug ever existed, and that it took months for us to get a fix out... I'm glad that's finally over, but it was really awful and I apologize on behalf of Metanet.

Cheers,
Raigan

I haven't played this in so long. First I was worried about losing my save file. Then I was worried about losing progress. Now I'm worried about impossible levels =(

I haven't played this in so long. First I was worried about losing my save file. Then I was worried about losing progress. Now I'm worried about impossible levels =(

The meta game challenge is off the charts. Next patch will need to step it up and melt the controller if you fail.

Probably a silly question but if I enjoyed N+ on 360, will I also enjoy this? I bought a PS4 a few months ago but completely forgot about this game. I've got some PSN cash to burn .
It was my first PSN game on PS4 and I LOVED it!
N (flash version) was one of my most played games all time and N++ is better than that in every way. it has LOTS of levels and unlockables, lots of fantastic colors and themes and its one of most addictive games of this gen. you should play it without a doubt!

Chris R

Wait, there is another patch? I got 1.04 yesterday when starting the game and had the gold badge bug. Guess I need to tell the ps4 to search for another patch.

Exit: 1.05 still bugged for gold badges. How can something so simple be screwed up?

Terxus

Neo Member
:(
corruptsavefile1suoq.png

I was playing Episode X-04 Level 4 and the game just froze suddenly. Had to do a hard reboot of the ps4 and was greeted by that screen when I launched n++ again.

I tried the save recovery function, but it didn't work (couldn't connect to the server, which is strange because I could access the global highscores just fine)
Really hope it will work the next time I try, I definitely won't replay all those stages to unlock the X-Episodes.

N++ is only 9.99 now and every platformer lover should enjoy this masterpiece!
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...-(n)/cid=UP2108-CUSA00041_00-NPPGAMENPPGAMENP

If you still have doubt about it, just watch amazing trailer of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFl3zU56-e0

Can't recommend this game enough. I spent 48 hours in the end playing it, managing to finally platinum the game after a lot of deaths! Loved almost every second of it, one of my favourite platformers ever made :)

prudislav

really wonder whats gonna be the steam release date ... all we got is soonish, coming soon and end of the summer coupole months ago , but not muczh since then :-/

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ooh. Great price. Is it playable for somebody who is decent at platformers? Looks almost too tough.
Certainly. There are tons of levels, with all kinds of relatively gradual learning curves. It's not going to kick your ass right away. You should be safe to proceed.

Ooh. Great price. Is it playable for somebody who is decent at platformers? Looks almost too tough.

The game is great at easing you into the game with the early levels. And its very light on gimmick levels. No powerups, few enemies, no bosses... its just pure platforming. Some levels take a few tries to get to grips with, but its one of the few games that always felt fair to me - all deaths were my fault and the controls were faultless. Definitely give it a shot.

nin1000

Banned
Are there any news concerning a steam release date ?

i dont know where to ask this and i have been pretty much spoiler free on this game.

I just want it to play so bad : (

atomsk

Party Pooper
N++ is only 9.99 now and every platformer lover should enjoy this masterpiece!
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...-(n)/cid=UP2108-CUSA00041_00-NPPGAMENPPGAMENP

If you still have doubt about it, just watch amazing trailer of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFl3zU56-e0

"Probably won't be on sale often" and "actually we’ll be raising the price when the first big update comes out"

Is that second thing ever going to happen? Or did the game not do well enough.

mattp

on sale for 7.99 right now if you have ps plus

everyone should jump on that deal

me and my friend played some this past weekend for the first time in months, and i can confirm it is still fucking fantastic

Alkuk

Neo Member
Is the big update for N++ still coming or has it vanished?
Not that I have cleared all levels, just curious. They said something like "it will nearly double the content/playtime" ...

MrS

Banned
Is the big update for N++ still coming or has it vanished?
Not that I have cleared all levels, just curious. They said something like "it will nearly double the content/playtime" ...
Yeah I haven't seen anything. I presume we won't get it for a long, long time (if ever) as they try to recoup their outlay via the Steam release. I wonder how the game has been performing in the PS Store sales. I feel so sad that N++ has seemingly fallen through the cracks. Truly one of my favourite games this gen.

Alkuk

Neo Member
Ok, it seems the DLC is on a good way, is it!?

Quote from reddit with answer from Raigan (developer N++ I think) one month ago (july 2016):

Any news on the DLC that was mentioned when the game was released?
--
We're working on it right now; it won't be ready in time for the Steam launch, but should be out before the end of the year. More details soon... so far it's looking to be pretty epic ;)

Some cool answers from the Reddit AMA
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4zjjd8/were_metanet_software_developers_of_n_n_and_n_ama/

On if N will get another sequel
Nope, N++ was designed to be the ultimate and final form of N -- we made sure make it a lifetime supply :

On the freeware games that inspired the original N
Soldat: vertical momentum accumulates, player has inertia
Super Bubble Blob: player can wallslide and wallclimb, levels are single-screen "puzzles"
Puchiwara no Bouken: player is a tiny stick figure in a giant single-screen tile-based world
Zone Runner: player collects gold and avoids enemies (this game made us realize that this was sufficient, you didn't need to add anything else (eg attacking) to make a fun game)

On favorite indie games (Snakebird and 868 Hack/Imbroglio shoutouts, Raigan has impeccable tastes)
Recently Hyper Light Drifter has amazed me with how well-designed it is, it's stunning in so many ways.
Teleglitch is another game that, like HLD, has a really coherent aesthetic and just feels well-realized in a way that soooo many indie games don't these days.
Ms. Pac Man, SMB3/SMW, Doom, Tetris.. I'm forgetting a lot but these are classics to me.
868-HACK and Imbroglio are astoundingly good games (IMO).
Snakebird is a masterpiece.
DoomRL is my favourite roguelike.
I'm definitely forgetting a lot of games, I feel bad...

On completing the game
You can probably speedrun them all in under 40 hours; getting all the gold should take about 100 hours; getting 100% in everything is unbounded ;)

The game was designed to play here and there, a bit at a time -- you can definitely binge it, but we think it's more fun to play an hour or two every night.

On the original plans for N
Honestly when we started, we were planning on making a slower-paced stealth game that involved sneaking around -- but once the physics and movement was implemented, we realized that being acrobatic and jumping around like crazy was way more fun than sneaking, so we changed direction.

On new projects post-N
In terms of new stuff, next month we'll be starting a new prototype but I can't really say anything about that yet We have a bunch of in-progress prototypes that we're really eager to get back to as well -- Robotology (which is sort of a love letter to Umihara Kawase, a really awesome physics-based platformer for Super Famicom) and Office Yeti (an homage to the fantastic ZX Spectrum game Skool Daze) are the two furthest-along, we've been sort of picking away at them but would really like to see if we can complete one of them.

Dinjoralo

Uh, ignore what I said in the last thread, I think Fast-sync is working. EDIT: Nope, definitely getting tearing. Augh.

Oh, and if anyone wants some alternative music to listen to, I'd recommend the Cultris II soundtrack, really nice jungle beats. You're gonna need to extract the music from the game's .jar file and get foobar2000 with a plugin to play it though...

Alkuk

Neo Member
One little thing that bugs me: Completion percentage - I don't think that in my case it shows the correct score.

So I know the numberwang option and set it to "1".
I have beaten 133 episodes in solo mode, should be 665 levels.
23 episodes in coop, 115 levels.
All the 89 race episodes, 445 levels.
I got 416 gold badges.

Completion: 0.275033 --- regardless of the massive content and secret goals, this can not be right, can it!? This would mean that there is 360 times more content to beat!?

What does your progress show?

Top Bottom