• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

Salsa

Euro Truck dev:

2014-12-17_02-43-46.jpg

2014-12-17_02-48-21.jpg

other people reporting it on their store carts too

welp

BasilZero

Forgive my ignorance...CIS?

Also is it only region locked for only those two regions?

Edit: Oh ok thanks ;o

Storm360

And there goes my interest in Steam.

I have 1000 games on steam, I doubt I would be close if it had been region locked from the start.

Console games are now cheaper to buy here, what got me into PC gaming in the first place is pretty much gone

Zophar

So, I'm an American, I opened a US account to start, but I've been living in China for a while now and bought a bunch of stuff there, from the US account with my US money. What's this gonna mean for those purchases?

ew, steam is getting worse and worse.
Time for Origin to rise.

/s

say all you want about origins but i can use VPN and get my game from whatever region i want, without involving another party AND not get banned. Origin is great, idc what anyone says. as long as they don't change that origin is good in my books

Komo

Banned
Steam's been gradually turning to shit for quite some time now. Not surprised...

Valve shouldn't be getting a free pass because they used to make great games.

Lmao. I bought a handful of game from a certain someone from a certain place on a certain website. I'm scared to look at my library now lol

Slashlen

I wonder if this is related to Russia's currency dropping like a rock, or Valve is just sick of others paying those prices?

*downs a shot*

Well, this is going to be a fun week of hysteria.

Seriously, this seems like a flawed (but possibly necessary) policy. Registering games across national borders is a very common practice - and it's one that Steam probably wants to put an end to (especially to stay on the good side of publishers).

Doesn't affect me too bad - only one game in my library I can see getting locked because of this and that's Dark Souls II - but I don't see this ending well.

McNum

Oh just so you know, already activated games work just fine, it seems. Got a few gifted from Brazil and they boot up just fine. Looks like it's grandfathered in.

Top Bottom