• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PROMETHEUS Full Theatrical Trailer (2:32) + International UK trailer (2:47)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rififi

Why do people always get stupid about Avatar when they see great practical sets like the ones in Prometheus? Tell me, genius: which part of Avatar that wasn't shot practically would you have thought could be done practically.

I never can quite explain this correctly, but I will still try.
Firstly, I don't think Avatar could work with practical sets; I don't think it could have been done any better, the cgi was fantastic and I don't want to discredit it in any way.

What I mean is that Cameron had to wait for the technology to be more advanced before he could create Avatar, meaning his artistic vision was imagined in a cgi environment.
When you have an art direction that is possible with practical sets, it becomes more familiar, more believable to me, a world in which I can connect to more naturally and get more immersed in.

So, when I make the Avatar reference, it is more in relation to the art direction itself than whether practical sets or cgi are used (ie whether the art direction is dependent predominately on cgi or on practical sets).

I hope that clears that up because you seem a bit angry at my previous statement.

Daft_Cat

I am still hedging me bets (contrary to what has been communicated) that this is pretty much a direct prequel to Alien.

I'd go as far as to say my guess is that LV-426 and the space jockey and the ship are the same ones we see in Alien. I think the events in Prometheus are covered up by Weyland Corp which is why by time Alien hits (what 50 years later) nobody really knows what occurred. However, I think Weyland-Yutani does, hence the reason for Ash's orders to tranport/contain the specimen.

http://youtu.be/bEVY_lonKf4

:52 It's the same ship, unless they have a fleet of these that all look the same

Unless of course there's another identical crashed ship on a very similar looking planet, both with Space Jockeys positioned in the exact same way. Oh, and I guess it would've had to have some sort of shady encounter with Weyland-Yutani in the past, as well (thus spawning the mission in Alien). So in other words, if it isn't the same ship, then it's gotta be the biggest contrivance in cinematic history.

Morn

Banned
good trailer, and definitely will be a good film, but the trailer pretty much gives everything away, no?

1) crew member gets infected and turns into a hybrid
2) gets into space jockey exoskeleton at some point
3) starts up alien ship to destroy earth
4) Prometheus crew/Idris Elba(android?) rams alien ship, sacrificing self
5) alien hybrid attacks human crew, perhaps trying to take over the human ship or a shuttle to complete its mission to go to earth
6) the human crew obviously sacrifice themselves and stop it

i am genuinely hoping i am wrong.

also, it looks too clean, wish it looked darker and grittier.

You are wrong. Definitely about who the
android
is.

I never can quite explain this correctly, but I will still try.
Firstly, I don't think Avatar could work with practical sets; I don't think it could have been done any better, the cgi was fantastic and I don't want to discredit it in any way.

What I mean is that Cameron had to wait for the technology to be more advanced before he could create Avatar, meaning his artistic vision was imagined in a cgi environment.
When you have an art direction that is possible with practical sets, it becomes more familiar, more believable to me, a world in which I can connect to more naturally and get more immersed in.

So, when I make the Avatar reference, it is more in relation to the art direction itself than whether practical sets or cgi are used (ie whether the art direction is dependent predominately on cgi or on practical sets).

I hope that clears that up because you seem a bit angry at my previous statement.

Okay, so you prefer art direction that is more grounded in reality and less fantastic. That I can understand.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
photo-21.png

Such an interesting shot.

I'm not gonna spoil anything, but there's a completely unnecessary scene near the end that throws off the pacing of the climax. It doesn't ruin the movie or anything, but the scene was rightly cut out of the theatrical version. If the DC is your only option, then don't really worry about. It's an incredible film either way.

While it does throw off the pacing, the scene does set the scariest part of the alien life cycle. Of course it was ignored completely in later films, and while the alien queen was pretty cool, what occurs in the deleted scene is infinitely more creepy.

T Dollarz

I think this is the best trailer I have ever seen and in turn this is probably the most hyped for a movie I have ever been. Fucking god.

Tedesco!

I think the designs of the Aliens and the Newborn were more offensive, as well as the acting. I don't mind his writing in this movie. It's not like he could start at ground zero with the writing considering he had Sigourney Weaver interfering with the film.

mhayze

The Dark Knight Cowers

AMIRITE?

Just setting up for the inevitable Batman vs. Aliens super-sequel, since we already know what happens when it's Batman vs. Predator (and Aliens vs. Predator). The only question is who will direct, Nolan or Scott?

Oh please.

yeah, I'm going to go with Yamato.

Whedon writes easy pulp, but unlike other pulp writers he is smart enough to know, admit and make fun of it. He makes excellent pulp, but he doesn't make great movies or series. He doesn't have that kind of seriousness, which is what we like about his pulp. It's not a bad to know your strengths and weaknesses.

T Dollarz

Christopher Nolan hasn't even made an average movie. Every one of his has been awesome. Can't say the same for Ridley, too much fluctuation, inconsistency, etc. His highs are definitely some of my favorites from any director though.

nitewulf

Christopher Nolan hasn't even made an average movie. Every one of his has been awesome. Can't say the same for Ridley, too much fluctuation, inconsistency, etc. His highs are definitely some of my favorites from any director though.

yeah, Nolan has not made any bad movies, all i have seen have been top notch. people just have a hater mentality about Nolan.

nyong

Banned
I haven't been this excited for a movie since Jurassic Park. I am literally going to take the day off work and treat my body like an athlete the day before the Olympics. NOTHING is going to spoil that day for me.

Tedesco!

Yeah I agree with you. Although, I would argue that Nolan still has room to grow though. Whedon has been crappy out the same level of bullshit for awhile now.

Does the Whedon hate stem from his TV work? Where does Whedon = shitty work originate from? I genuinely want to know.

Shepard

The trailer was amazing but is it me or there was some "filter" in the teaser that isn't here?
Also, the red chick looks like the Mythbusters chick.

Dead

well not really...yet
Does the Whedon hate stem from his TV work? Where does Whedon = shitty work originate from? I genuinely want to know.
Alien Resurrection, Dollhouse, a lot of people dislike the Buffy stuff and in general dislike his writing style. Even Firefly and Serenity get a lot less love these days than back when they came out it seems.

But mostly people will never forgive him for AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom