• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Fantano's Worst to Best MF DOOM Albums.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Batty Boys really is homophobic nowadays. A lot of questionable stuff.

Becomes a problem when they try an attempt to go straight
And raise the monster rate in the whole population
It's starting to affect the super pimpin' occupation

Yikes.

He was talking about superheroes in that song....he's the supervillain...the batman audio samples were to make it obvious but I guess that wasn't enough.

Sou Da

He was talking about superheroes in that song....he's the supervillain...the batman audio samples were to make it obvious but I guess that wasn't enough.
I love Born Like This to death but Batty Boys gets skipped every single time. Shit is wildly homophobic, I'll begrudgingly admit that the title pun is kind of clever though.

Like do you really think that a song with a sample of scene of someone saying "faggot" more than once is just all persona?

"Gay, sir
I'm far from gay
Now listen and keep your shirt on
Grown men in a rubber suit
Runnin' around with a young boy
Homo"

Just about superheroes huh. The song ain't subtle and that's just the intro.

Sou Da

Also personal opinion here but Fantano's reviews are the only thing about him worth a damn. Every other thing he produces is some pandering ass just short of forced meme garbage. He's smart enough to understand that memetic content is all the advertising he needs and that he already has base of 4ch viewers.

His continued cupping of Sargon's nuts is some other shit.

Bread

Banned
Agreed with the general consensus that Take Me To Your Leader is far too low. That album is incredible.

I also agree with Mouse and the Mask being low. Maybe it's just because I burned myself out on it years ago, but I really can't listen to it anymore.

Sou Da

+1

Mouse and the Mask would be so much better without all the fucking AS cartoon samples.

Agreed with the general consensus that Take Me To Your Leader is far too low. That album is incredible.

I also agree with Mouse and the Mask being low. Maybe it's just because I burned myself out on it years ago, but I really can't listen to it anymore.
By samples you mean skits or what? Because Space Hos thrive on those actual samples.

That shit is still solid imo.

studyguy

anthony-fantano.png

MadGibbs is peak

ApharmdX

Banned

The song is clearly homophobic. The superheroes are just a vehicle for that hate. I'm a huge MF DOOM fan but that track is indefensible.

SJRB

Gold Member
Remember that fake news about the Flying Lotus / MF Doom collab? Crazy times.

That would be amazing, though.

I almost never agree with Fantano but I still watch his videos sometimes because I think it can be interesting to hear him explain his opinion.

I don't think I've listened to TMTYL. Didn't know that album was hype.
This is true. However, even by that standard I find it mediocre.
I wouldn't say it's mediocre. It's got some nice chill beats. I get that Bishop sounds like an unproven freshmen level rapper trying to get off the ground, but I think he managed to work that into his songs and make something positive. It came off as harmless and honest to me.

I don't think I've listened to TMTYL. Didn't know that album was hype.

I wouldn't say it's mediocre. It's got some nice chill beats. I get that Bishop sounds like an unproven freshmen level rapper trying to get off the ground, but I think he managed to work that into his songs and make something positive. It came off as harmless and honest to me.

Bruh are you fucking with me?

Dude...

Fazers
Antimatter Ft. Mr.Fantastik
Fastlane Ft. Biolante
Next Levels Ft.Starr Tha Femcee and I forgot the other ladies but they are dynamite.

Runnerups would be The Fine Print and No Snakes Alive.

I should give it a listen.
What the fuck, really? I dislike his taste and reviews, but his even cements it more!
He also didn't like the latest Gorillaz and Deftones albums but I'm not gonna hold it to him. It's his personal opinion. Regardless his list, outside of one or two minor gripes, is overall solid.

This just speaks to how many great albums DOOM has but no way is Born Like This better than DangerDOOM or especially Operation: Doomsday & Vaudeville. I love King Geedorah but I wouldn't put Take Me To Your Leader over any album except Keys to the Kuffs and Venomous Villain.

Both Venomous Villain & Take Me To Your Leader have a limited amount of Dumile verses but TMTYL has that signature Metal Fingers production so it wins. Venomous is my shit though

The only MF DOOM albums I don't completely love is Keys to the Kuffs and Born Like This but they both have classic DOOM songs

sasliquid

He also didn't like the latest Gorillaz....

I feel like a lot of people don't. I don't get the love of Humanz on GAF, not that Gaf is my first choice source for new music discussion.

But also eff Fantano and his bullshit gatekeeping and lowest common denominator pandering. It worries how many people are introduced to indie stuff through him.

noquarter

Do you think it holds up if you don't know Adult Swim?
I really like it, and still listen to it. The skits are pretty poor, but the album is really good overall. Honestly, worst part is the very end, so right after Space Hos turn it off (or just start it over) as it was bad when it first came out, except in an Adult Swim, ATHF fan way.

The EP that came out the following year isn't as good but is still alright. I actually sort of like the skits on it (White Shadow from Minoriteam trying to recruit DOOM to the league of villains) The two new songs are pretty good, but the highlight to me is the Space Hos (Madlib Remix)

Surprises to see the Take Me To Your Leader love, thoughts people didn't like it. Probably my third most listened to DOOM album after Mouse and Villain.

Doom is easily my favorite rapper but that song is just pure trash. No ifs ands or buts. You can't mask it by saying its a metaphor.

I feel like a lot of people don't. I don't get the love of Humanz on GAF, not that Gaf is my first choice source for new music discussion.

But also eff Fantano and his bullshit gatekeeping and lowest common denominator pandering. It worries how many people are introduced to indie stuff through him.

He's repeatedly said to like what you like. He's no different than your average movie critic that some people look at as snobby and gatekeeping. And I don't see a problem with people being introduced to obscure stuff through him.

Draper

*gives extremely elaborate reasoning for his own personal views*

OH FUCK OFF FANTANO IM A BRATTY KID ON THE INTERNET

Batty Boys definitely sinks Born Like This, which is a shame because Cellz is one of my favorite rap tracks of all time. If any track deserves to be called fire it's that one

sasliquid

He's repeatedly said to like what you like. He's no different than your average movie critic that some people look at as snobby and gatekeeping. And I don't see a problem with people being introduced to obscure stuff through him.

Sorry I didn't mean in regards to his actual album reviews but his apparent distaste for any form of alternative criticism such as feminist criticism. For examples he hangs with alt-right weirdos and has written things such as this about Anita sarkeesian

http://theneedledrop.tumblr.com/post/95894002452/i-dont-think-anita-sarkeesians-videos-should-be

I really need to give Born Like This a full listen or two. I remember it coming out in high school and thinking Ballskin was great.

Sorry I didn't mean in regards to his actual album reviews but his apparent distaste for any form of alternative criticism such as feminist criticism. For examples he hangs with alt-right weirdos and has written things such as this about Anita sarkeesian

http://theneedledrop.tumblr.com/post/95894002452/i-dont-think-anita-sarkeesians-videos-should-be

We're also looking at a post from 2014. His current politics are not on the same level as what he was thinking 3 years ago.

TMTYL is amazing... and not. Production-wise it's a king, but DOOM-wise it's not. The album is like 45 minutes long and has DOOM rapping maybe 10 minutes.

DOOM records I always go back to: Madvillainy, MM... FOOD, The Mouse and the Mask, Vaudeville Villain and the beat tapes. The goddamn beat tapes. They're gold.

i was super disappointed in mouse and the mask when it came out, apart from the tune with ghostface. both artists were pretty much at peak hype back then and it just ended up feeling weirdly flat to me, though thematically cool. ranking it over take me to your leader is nuts.

otherwise i would agree with that top 2, swapping in vaudeville at 3 and operation at 4.

sasliquid

We're also looking at a post from 2014. His current politics are not on the same level as what he was thinking 3 years ago.

Is there any proof it has changed for the better? He was sharing podcasts with carlgon less than 2 years ago.

But this is going off topic, just trying to explain why so many don't like him.

I still need to listen to madvillainy

Top Bottom