• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galdelico

Also I know I keep harping on about how useful s-video is, but really, if you want a mod-less, cheap way of getting good video for GB Player or N64, s-video's the best option. And it's just missing on the OSSC.
I get why you mentioned the N64, but... GB Player too? Shouldn't it be fine with a GameCube connected to the OSSC via RGB scart (and the appropriate version of GBI)?

I get why you mentioned the N64, but... GB Player too? Shouldn't it be fine with a GameCube connected to the OSSC via RGB scart (and the appropriate version of GBI)?

But then you'd need to get a PAL gamecube.

I get that you're in Europe, but I just don't want anything PAL in my house. That 50Hz smell just doesn't go away.

Peagles

But then you'd need to get a PAL gamecube.

I get that you're in Europe, but I just don't want anything PAL in my house. That 50Hz smell just doesn't go away.

PAL GC is a great option though, especially with a chip. Then it plays all regions and does both RGB and component with progressive. It's the PAL games that suck, and even then you can now force progressive on most of them with Swiss.

Even stock there's no need to use 50Hz. Even as a kid I chose 60Hz lol.

Ashby

Does the Framemeister even make sense for a Gamecube? 480p cables should make everything gravy hooking directly into a HD set, right?

televator

I'm still playing around with the Spears and Munsil calibration on my ST60 and I feel like I've taken the crazy pill... most people on the internet seem to recommend a contrast setting of 78 - 85... my contrast setting after adjusting for the luminance clipping pattern is... ... ... 37. Da fuq? I mean it looks right... all "white" bars are resolvable up to the last one or 2. If I turn up contrast to 75 and above, half to 2/3 of the bars disappear. How strange.

Does the Framemeister even make sense for a Gamecube? 480p cables should make everything gravy hooking directly into a HD set, right?

Depends on the TV. Some handle 480p better than others.

I don't have the Gamecube component cables, but using the Wii ones I prefer the Framemeister to my TV, though I think that's most because of the 2X mode. Integer scaling is pretty nice.

Ramune

Here's to another awesome thread! Subbed at the speed of light!

Anybody have any recommendations for a good SNES/N64/GCN S-Video cable?

$_35.JPG

The Monster S-Video Gamecube cables. The only Monster ANYTHING that I own. I got these back when I was going through my S-Video conversion phase. They work on all 3 consoles even though they were billed for Gamecube specifically. Of course they seem to be hard to find now! o_O;

Edit: Or you can go with what Timu recommends above. Those actually exist for one thing!

Timu

Here's to another awesome thread! Subbed at the speed of light!

$_35.JPG

The Monster S-Video Gamecube cables. The only Monster ANYTHING that I own. I got these back when I was going through my S-Video conversion phase. They work on all 3 consoles even though they were billed for Gamecube specifically. Of course they seem to be hard to find now! o_O;
He's gonna pay a lot for that though, but hey, it's quality, I own some Monster cables for PS2 and Xbox and love them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
As of tonight, I can now officially join you all in the CRT cool kids treehouse. Found this baby in my grandma's garage.

The input timing is amazing. The glow is divine. The curved screen is sexy. Unfortunately it's composite but goddammit I know what my eyes see and what my eyes see is beautiful. Will definitely be using this for PS1 games. Yes I will dust it off and take it off the floor.

dubc35

As of tonight, I can now officially join you all in the CRT cool kids treehouse. Found this baby in my grandma's garage.

The input timing is amazing. The glow is divine. The curved screen is sexy. Unfortunately it's composite but goddammit I know what my eyes see and what my eyes see is beautiful. Will definitely be using this for PS1 games. Yes I will dust it off and take it off the floor.
I internally called BS on input lag (for the most part). However going from Super Metroid on a 1080p plasma to a $5 Craigslist CRT had me sold. The game is super floaty as is but it made a huge difference in the vertical corridors!

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Ashby

I have a RGB-capable PVM now should I bother with S-Video cables now? I've got a SCART cable on the way for my PC Engine but was thinking I'd save a bit of cash going S-Video for my SNES/N64.

I'm still not sure about which one to buy, the framister or OSSC.

Retrorgb says OSSC is better for 4K (yet I don't why is that)

And here a couple of you really sold me on the framister and they look great on 4K.

So why is the OSSC better for 4K?

can't speak to 4k (i don't see why it would be better either, though in theory the design should allow for 4k output in some future revision, however this is true for the XRGB as well), but the OSSC vs Framemeister comparison is really a matter of your display, your desire to tinker with things, and your ability to troubleshoot issues and understand the limitations of the different boxes.

In short, if you want a box that allows tons of configuration and allows for just about any display/console combination, get a Framemeister. If you want a box that will get you extremely low lag and very clean upscaling, with the downside of quirky compatibility and far less configuration, then go for the OSSC.

OSSC is supposed to be good for 4K because of its line triple mode. In line double mode: 240p -> 480p. In line triple mode: 240p -> 720p. 720p (1280x720) is a 3x integer scale to 4K (3840x2160). The idea is this integer scaling will produce fewer artifacts than upscaling 480p to 4K. Keep in mind that the 720p signal produced with the line triple mode may not be handled correctly by some displays.

OSSC is supposed to be good for 4K because of its line triple mode. In line double mode: 240p -> 480p. In line triple mode: 240p -> 720p. 720p (1280x720) is a 3x integer scale to 4K (3840x2160). The idea is this integer scaling will produce fewer artifacts than upscaling 480p to 4K. Keep in mind that the 720p signal produced with the line triple mode may not be handled correctly by some displays.

the framemeister's 720p is also fantastic, though.

Welcome and congrats. For all the money and effort expended on upscalers, there is just nothing like gaming on a CRT. Instant response time. Accept no substitutes.

nateify

Yeah so I've got my PS4 hooked with an HDMI to VGA converter, then a CGA downscaler, then that into a composite converter, hooked up to an RF converter box, connected to my 1987 Magnavox, just to play Shovel Knight with that retro feel the way it was meant to be played! /s

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Update on the gscartsw:

superg said:
I've refunded every JP21 pre-order. Sorry everybody, it just doesn't make sense to continue with JP21.
You still have a chance to pre-order SCART version if that works for you. I will cutoff SCART pre-orders tomorrow at the same time.
Sucks for you JP21 users. Anyone that wants a SCART one from this batch has just over 19 hours to get the order in.

I was at my brother's house today doing a bit of electrical work and he replaced his 27" CRT with a new TV in the basement. This thread made me think of asking him to have it but I don't have the room and he's not throwing it out yet any way so I didn't.

Timu

Yeah so I've got my PS4 hooked with an HDMI to VGA converter, then a CGA downscaler, then that into a composite converter, hooked up to an RF converter box, connected to my 1987 Magnavox, just to play Shovel Knight with that retro feel the way it was meant to be played! /s
I would like for someone to actually try that, lol.

D.Lo

PAL GC is a great option though, especially with a chip. Then it plays all regions and does both RGB and component with progressive. It's the PAL games that suck, and even then you can now force progressive on most of them with Swiss.

Even stock there's no need to use 50Hz. Even as a kid I chose 60Hz lol.
Some PAL games (basically just the top ones, eg Metroid Prime 1) render at higher resolution in PAL. So you get a genuinely higher resolution on a 576i screen, so less dithering on object edges. Wind Waker uses the extra lines too, but unfortunately runs 17% slower, but MP as adjusted.

Most PAL games either squash or stretch the NTSC resolution however, so in most cases they are definitely worse, not to mention when the speed is not adjusted.

Peltz

Personally, I prefer the internal scaler of most HDTVs to that of the Framemeister for handling 480p.

IrishNinja

lookin' good! OP should note: i'm a bum, that fantastic OP from the last thread was 100% sixfourtyfive

glad mega got the first few posts in here, i really did like the idea of having one dedicated to audio as well

How the hell did I have more posts than IrishNinja and 16bit?

bruh i drink and plug things in wrong, it's okay if i chime in less haha

D.Lo

I read that the Framemeister has a soft image for 480p, wonder how soft.
I found it too hard myself?

My old Panasonic Plasma nicely softened 480p, I preferred it to the Framemeister. my new 4K Sony... actually I haven't tried on it lol. I have the Gamecube to the FM because it's pretty much a 240p GBP-only device.

Peagles

Some PAL games (basically just the top ones, eg Metroid Prime 1) render at higher resolution in PAL. So you get a genuinely higher resolution on a 576i screen, so less dithering on object edges. Wind Waker uses the extra lines too, but unfortunately runs 17% slower, but MP as adjusted.

Most PAL games either squash or stretch the NTSC resolution however, so in most cases they are definitely worse, not to mention when the speed is not adjusted.

Yup, the games suck for the most part. My point was that the console itself is a good thing to have. I mostly use NTSC games with a chipped PAL console.

catabarez

I use gamecube component cables with the Framemeister for that 240p goodness on GBA games.

It'd be nice if the gamecube had an optical audio out.

Galdelico

That's really new to me. One never stops learning.
Are you talking about games that come with a 60hz selector too, or just those that are 50hz-only (such as Tales of Symphonia)? On my Trinitron, stuff like PAL F-Zero set to 60hz doesn't seem to run/look any different/worse than - say - US Resident Evil 4 (via Freeloader) on the same console. I'm using an official Nintendo RGB cable - which I know is nowhere as good as component on NTSC systems - but I genuinely fail to see any difference in IQ, between PAL60 and NTSC games.

Brhoom

Banned
Lmao at Silent Hill being unplayable with the frameister...

hopefully they fix it before I buy one.

And thanks guys for the help, frameister it is.

Teknoman

Hopefully the USB 3.0 ports fix my Startech USB3CAP issue with HDMI connected devices. SpikedGunner was the other gaffer I was talking about in the other thread, yet he says he uses USB 3.0 ports and has the same issue.

On that note, still watching twitter for the day Dreamcast gets its own HD retrovision component cables finalized.

EDIT: Yeah CRTs give things a certain glow that is just cool. Even when looking at the same game source captured, on an LCD it just looks different regardless.

JLynn

Welcome and congrats. For all the money and effort expended on upscalers, there is just nothing like gaming on a CRT. Instant response time. Accept no substitutes.

I'm a firm believer you can get an amazing picture on a consumer CRT. Congrats and I look forward to seeing your next CRT.

Brhoom

Banned
I saw someone one youtube say there is a new framemeister in the works, hopefully it fixes the sync issue with Silent Hill.

I need some suggestions from you guys! I recently moved to Japan and had to give up my long-hoarded Trinitron in the process. Now i'm at my inlaws for a little while, and the TV i've got access to is an LCD that has a measly 2 HDMI, 1 Composite and a D4 D-Terminal port.

My problem is mostly centered around my Japanese Saturn, which i have to connect through Composite. I used to use S-Video on my CRT, but even that's not an option now. I've been able to expand my collection greatly since arriving in Japan, but i'm losing interest because of the horrendous quality i'm getting!

It's not a bother so much, but i've also got a Japanese Gamecube suffering a similar fate - it's got the component input, i've got the component cables - just the TV doesn't have the plugs!

Further down the list is my Japanese N64, which i only have composite cables for.

I really just want to enjoy my Saturn again, but if there's a solution that helps the others with minimal effort, that would be best. What are my options here?

In case you needed any convincing to help me:

I apologize for dirtying the thread with these. Click for larger only if you're wearing protective eyewear!

I've been able to expand my collection greatly since arriving in Japan, but i'm losing interest because of the horrendous quality i'm getting!

+1 for get a framemeister.

You'll go from being really disappointed every time you turn the system on to not wanting to play anything else.

EmiPrime

Not necessarily retro related but I can't find a better thread to ask this in:

Two of the HDMI sockets on my receiver have stopped working. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? I've tried power cycling a bunch of times to no avail.

Failing that is there an affordable HDMI switch that a bunch of people can vouch for? I would be plugging it into one of the two HDMI sockets that are still working on the receiver.

My wallet was hoping you'd have something cheaper for me... but somehow it knew :D
This Saturn only cost me 2000Y about 4 years ago... so almost 40000Y is a hard pill to swallow! But maybe with some want-list shuffling in the future i'll find a way. Can someone with one post a pic of Xmen vs StreetFighter like mine above? That should get me motivated!

CRT's, at least where i am (countryside) are basically non-existant. There's a few recycle shops with some, but nothing special.

I have 2 Super Famicoms floating about as well that i haven't tried out here yet. Can you tell with the serial whether it's a good one for RGB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom