• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Mikey Jr.

It's just the masses being fed that if a game don't have DLC it sucks. They're starting to believe it now which makes it easier for a company to bleed them of money. I actually appreciate that David and co thought enough of the fans to not have DLC packs all planned out. It means they got as much as they can into the game which is a good thing.

Seriously? That's what you got from what I said. smh.

How do you remotely get that I don't want any DLC for the game from that? I simply said I appreciate that they focused on getting as much content as they can into the game before even remotely worrying about it. I said that I think it's stupid for people to think a game is automatically going to suck if it doesn't get DLC. That's what I said. That makes total sense.

Somehow though you seemingly got that I don't want no dlc for the game which is not at all what I fucking said.

Why wouldnt you want them to atleast plan DLC? Just because they plan DLC and maybe even started working on them does not mean they didn't put as much stuff as they could onto the disc. Believe it or not, you cant create an entire level in half an hour.

Now that they didn't plan it and worked on it, it is entirely based on how well it sells according to Jaffe.

500k in sales? Fuck it, it didn't do well enough, so don't bother with DLC. Atleast if they were already in the process of making it, we would have gotten something despite sales.

I wonder what's this fixation with DLC.....

17 vehicles and 8(?) maps with 7(?) different modes will keep me occupied for a longggggggg time.

I think it's more about knowing that a developer is going to support a game for the long run, then wanting tons new cars and maps. Imagine if you buy the game, love it, are playing it months later, and then some people find a game-breaking glitch. An out off map glitch, or a 1 hit kill glitch, something that's ruining the fun for other players. Now you can't directly link DLC support to patch support, but given what we know about Jaffe leaving and the ESP team breaking up, it's kind of worrying that they're just throwing the game into the wild, and a scenario like that might happen.

In short- developers that support a game with DLC, are also more likey to support the game with game with patches, bug fixes, and improved gameplay.

They really need to get the demo back up. Would really help a lot it this weekend had a working TM demo right before release.

Between online pass, Jaffe leaving news, broken, overly difficult demo, the demo extension that never happened it would really do a lot to have some positive vibes right before launch. Most people remember their last experience, if its playing a rock solid demo over the weekend those negatives will turn right around. Patch that shit to a little easier difficulty too, the problem is the noobs are trying to learn the controls and the game is too fast for them.

PS: I love this fuckin game

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Why wouldnt you want them to atleast plan DLC? Just because they plan DLC and maybe even started working on them does not mean they didn't put as much stuff as they could onto the disc. Believe it or not, you cant create an entire level in half an hour.

Now that they didn't plan it and worked on it, it is entirely based on how well it sells according to Jaffe.

500k in sales? Fuck it, it didn't do well enough, so don't bother with DLC. Atleast if they were already in the process of making it, we would have gotten something despite sales.

It was always going to depend on how well it sells if it will get dlc or not. It always was going to depend on that. Let's face facts. Twisted Metal has never been as popular as say COD, Halo, or other games like that. Throw in such a long time away from the spotlight and it's a huge unknown right now. No business is going to take a chance like that. Hell we're lucky they took the chance they did by turning this into a full retail title. Also it depended on the contract. Obviously the contract didn't cover DLC. So ESP as a business is obviously not going to make DLC for free for Sony who didn't request it. That's just business.

What makes this all a good thing is that they having not planned on dlc worked their asses off to get as much crammed in as they can. I can't say for sure but had it been planned to have DLC from the start I honestly deep in my heart don't think we would have had near the amount of content we have currently because Sony, notice I didn't say ESP, would have been like well you can just ship with this much stuff and we can release the rest as DLC later. As a result we the fans got a hell of a lot for our money in this game.

Also another good thing is that now if there is content which to be honest I also don't feel we'll ever get DLC, ESP can get fan feedback and add content we want to see. With preplanned out DLC you really can't get that as easily.

Now all that said. Yes I want DLC as a fan. I don't see how anyone could say no to wanting DLC for a game franchise they love. Hell if they are lucky to be able to make DLC I hope it sells like hotcakes too because that will show that the fans are here and that we do love the franchise and maybe we can get more then 1 Twisted Metal every 10 years.

wcw

Neo Member
It's just the masses being fed that if a game don't have DLC it sucks. They're starting to believe it now which makes it easier for a company to bleed them of money. I actually appreciate that David and co thought enough of the fans to not have DLC packs all planned out. It means they got as much as they can into the game which is a good thing.

Also I can't think that they haven't thought up of DLC in concept. Jaffe mentioned on Twitter many months ago about reviving classic maps as possible DLC. And very recently they mentioned that they had sketches for a Pit Viper car as DLC. Even on the box it says Add on Content.

Granted I think that before Sony green lit DLC fully they wanted to see where the sales went. But I can't think that they aren't doing ground work on DLC at least in concept. All in all I would love DLC for Twisted Metal, but already just by playing the demo I am sold on it. Its already worth my 60 dollars.

I agree that it sucks that they couldn't have kept this Jaffe news underwraps for a few weeks. Its really detracting from the game. Yeah the demo has had issues BUT the demo's actual content aka the freaking gameplay was hugely well received and downloaded. In fact a big issue was it was downloaded a lot more then they thought.

I urge everyone to support this game if you can. Its got a lot of focus on gameplay and mechanics. Its a fun demolition derby on the surface and this high action fighting game in cars on a deeper level. They don't make these types of games anymore and when they do come out they need to be supported.

Twisted Metal lOTl Don't Kick My Cab

Twisted Metal lOTl Flaming Chainsaws and Exploding Gurneys

Twisted Metal lOTl The Best Car Combat Game of 2012

Twisted Metal lOTl Local Multiplayer Isn't Dead

Twisted Metal lOTl Road Rage on the 405

Tokubetsu

Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Press Back to Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Was that chainsaw on fire?
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Cainsaw is always the answer
Twisted Metal |OT| How do I Flaming Chainsaw?
Twisted Metal |OT| Who has Flaming Chainsaw?
Twisted Metal |OT| Where art thou, Flaming Chainsaw?
Twisted Metal |OT| Et tu, Flaming Chainsaw?
Twisted Metal |OT| Revenge is best served with a Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| There is a Flaming Chainsaw in this game.
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw of The Year, 2012
Twisted Metal |OT| Now with more Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw is always the answer
Twisted Metal |OT| Why isn't that chainsaw flaming?
Twisted Metal |OT| Not Enough Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Dollface x Flaming Chainsaw Forever
Twisted Metal |OT| My love for you is like a Flaming Chainsaw

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Also I can't think that they haven't thought up of DLC in concept. Jaffe mentioned on Twitter many months ago about reviving classic maps as possible DLC. And very recently they mentioned that they had sketches for a Pit Viper car as DLC. Even on the box it says Add on Content.

Granted I think that before Sony green lit DLC fully they wanted to see where the sales went. But I can't think that they aren't doing ground work on DLC at least in concept. All in all I would love DLC for Twisted Metal, but already just by playing the demo I am sold on it. Its already worth my 60 dollars.

I agree that it sucks that they couldn't have kept this Jaffe news underwraps for a few weeks. Its really detracting from the game. Yeah the demo has had issues BUT the demo's actual content aka the freaking gameplay was hugely well received and downloaded. In fact a big issue was it was downloaded a lot more then they thought.

I urge everyone to support this game if you can. Its got a lot of focus on gameplay and mechanics. Its a fun demolition derby on the surface and this high action fighting game in cars on a deeper level. They don't make these types of games anymore and when they do come out they need to be supported.

Oh yea you know they have thought hey if we could man how awesome would it be to have say a Paris like level with these characters. Hell David as you mentioned has said that they have. Scott even drew up a couple ideas apparently.

Also I don't think this news is going to hurt it to be honest. There are a ton of fans that don't follow Jaffe on twitter much less know who the fuck he even is. We're a very small group. We are the hardcore. We follow this shit day in and out. The majority out there doesn't. They just see Twisted Metal and go oh man I loved those games. Hell look at how well Twisted 3 and I think even 4 did and those were not as well done and entirely 989 with nobody from the original team making them. So I think at the end of the day it's not going to hurt them like some think. Sure some of the more hardcore might think twice but odds are if they would know that this isn't because of the game and that the changes are because David wants to work closer to home while the ESP guys want to do something different.

Tokubetsu

Twisted Metal |OT| Master of The Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Gonna Rock You Like a Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw Beats Everything
Twisted Metal |OT| I think your Chainsaw needs some Flames on it
Twisted Metal |OT| Teach Me How to Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Jaffe Sucks Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Always Bet On Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw Is For Lovers
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw Beats Dragula
Twisted Metal |OT| God Loves, Man Flaming Chainsaws

Booshka

Hopefully the full game won't have similar issues with the online. It could really mess with the launch if the first few weeks are marred with connection issues. They really should extend the demo with the matchmaking errors fixed so people can enjoy some Twisted Metal over the weekend. Would probably lead to more customer confidence in the full game.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Hopefully the full game won't have similar issues with the online. It could really mess with the launch if the first few weeks is marred with connection issues. They really should extend the demo with the matchmaking errors fixed so people can enjoy some Twisted Metal over the weekend. Would probably lead to more customer confidence in the full game.

Oh don't worry Booshka. David has assured they won't and from the gameplay vids there hasn't been any problems. It seems that the problem was unique to the demo servers which is a very unfortunate thing.

Liberty4all

Banned
i like the game alot. In some ways it feels alot more like a pc game in terms of not holding your hands but still retaining console arcadey fun thanks to the pad. It also feels old school in terms of level design, weapon layout, minimal health, and an "easy to pick up but hard to master" control scheme.

Unlike most console titles this game will keep me coming back for gameplay reasons ... not an artificial unlock system/xp grind.

My favorite console games this gen share these characteristics ... Shadowrun, Warhawk, and Blur.

Booshka

Oh don't worry Booshka. David has assured they won't and from the gameplay vids there hasn't been any problems. It seems that the problem was unique to the demo servers which is a very unfortunate thing.

Hard to believe pre-release footage when only a few thousand people are online. Same shit could happen for all we know when 100's of thousands of players are trying to play online all at once. Hope for the best, but I wouldn't be surprised, luckily the game has a Server/Custom Lobby system so even if matchmaking is borked people can play that way.

My favorite console games this gen share these characteristics ... Shadowrun, Warhawk, and Blur.

*brofist*

Like Shadowrun, I really enjoy the diversity of options in TM. The game gives the player far more to do than just move and shoot a single weapon. Off spawn, the player can use special, alt. special, homing missiles, fire missiles, the shotgun, freeze, shield, mines, and ram other players. That's fucking off-spawn! Insane. I love it.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Hard to believe pre-release footage when only a few thousand people are online. Same shit could happen for all we know when 100's of thousands of players are trying to play online all at once. Hope for the best, but I wouldn't be surprised, luckily the game has a Server/Custom Lobby system so even if matchmaking is borked people can play that way.

True anything can happen and Sony does have a history of server issues when games launch. I'm not saying there won't be new ones pop up. But this particular issue I don't think will. If it does then Sony will have really shot themselves in the foot considering all the time it took for them to figure it out.

Booshka

*brofist*

Like Shadowrun, I really enjoy the diversity of options in TM. The game gives the player far more to do than just move and shoot a single weapon. Off spawn, the player can use special, alt. special, homing missiles, fire missiles, the shotgun, freeze, shield, mines, and ram other players. That's fucking off-spawn! Insane. I love it.

Same, which is why I am bummed I don't have a PS3, TM is one of my favorite franchises, and I love the gameplay first mentality Jaffe and Co. subscribe to, so I'll have to find some way to play it.

wcw

Neo Member
Oh yea you know they have thought hey if we could man how awesome would it be to have say a Paris like level with these characters. Hell David as you mentioned has said that they have. Scott even drew up a couple ideas apparently.

Also I don't think this news is going to hurt it to be honest. There are a ton of fans that don't follow Jaffe on twitter much less know who the fuck he even is. We're a very small group. We are the hardcore. We follow this shit day in and out. The majority out there doesn't. They just see Twisted Metal and go oh man I loved those games. Hell look at how well Twisted 3 and I think even 4 did and those were not as well done and entirely 989 with nobody from the original team making them. So I think at the end of the day it's not going to hurt them like some think. Sure some of the more hardcore might think twice but odds are if they would know that this isn't because of the game and that the changes are because David wants to work closer to home while the ESP guys want to do something different.

I don't think Jaffe's departure means much for momentum Twisted has. Yeah the hardcore kind of care, but the hardcore have already made up their minds on Twisted for the most part. Its really the demo that concerns me. Had it gotten fixed quick or gone off without a hitch it would have fueled the momentum of the game more so. The demo was very well received gameplay wise. But the server issues really hurt the ability for the demo just to hit it out the park. AND they took the demo down even though they said they were extending it.

Hopefully they put the demo back up and the issues are ironed out. Mark my words this game will be the top selling game of February at least on the PS3 (UFC might out pace it combined on X-Box and PS3).

Helscream

Banned
Something I would like to add about Twisted Metal DLC.

David Jaffe mentioned that the most significant thing he learned from working on Calling All Cars was content. I am just paraphrasing, but the interview went along the lines of him saying that he realized that Calling All Cars could have done much better if there was more content in the game.

With taking that lesson into heart, David Jaffe as well as Scott Campbell realized that they needed to stuff this game with as much content as possible. Because they realized that ultimately the consumer wants as much bang for their buck as possible. And when games are running $60 a pop. A game like Heavenly Sword that had a single player campaign that ran at 6-7 hours tops? Compare it to a game like Skyrim where you have hundreds of hours of possible gameplay. Which one do you think will sell better in the grand scheme of things?

The question I would want to ask everyone here is this;

Would you rather have a game like Dragon Age Origins that cost you $60 our the gate. Then adds another $60 of content down the line as DLC?

Or would you rather have that $60 worth of DLC already in the game when it ships?

People want to get upset because Twisted Metal has no planned DLC, yet you don't consider the content it already posses for $60.

You all know damn well Developers/Publishers are very capable (and surely already have) cut content from a game that was already/almost finished and then added later as DLC.

We really have no idea how much content and replay value this game has until we play it. So let's calm down and see what the word of mouth says before we jump the gun.

Here is another goofy suggestion for the OT.

Twisted Metal |OT| Metal Up Your Ass!

Got the idea from this....

MetalUpYourAss-1.jpg

wcw

Neo Member
Something I would like to add about Twisted Metal DLC.

David Jaffe mentioned that the most significant thing he learned from working on Calling All Cars was content. I am just paraphrasing, but the interview went along the lines of him saying that he realized that Calling All Cars could have done much better if there was more content in the game.

With taking that lesson into heart, David Jaffe as well as Scott Campbell realized that they needed to stuff this game with as much content as possible. Because they realized that ultimately the consumer wants as much bang for their buck as possible. And when games are running $60 a pop. A game like Heavenly Sword that had a single player campaign that ran at 6-7 hours tops? Compare it to a game like Skyrim where you have hundreds of hours of possible gameplay. Which one do you think will sell better in the grand scheme of things?

The question I would want to ask everyone here is this;

Would you rather have a game like Dragon Age Origins that cost you $60 our the gate. Then adds another $60 of content down the line as DLC?

Or would you rather have that $60 worth of DLC already in the game when it ships?

People want to get upset because Twisted Metal has no planned DLC, yet you don't consider the content it already posses for $60.

You all know damn well Developers/Publishers are very capable (and surely already have) cut content from a game that was already/almost finished and then added later as DLC.

We really have no idea how much content and replay value this game has until we play it. So let's calm down and see what the word of mouth says before we jump the gun.

Here is another goofy suggestion for the OT.

Twisted Metal |OT| Metal Up Your Ass!

Got the idea from this....

MetalUpYourAss-1.jpg

I think its more so people thinking that somehow a wait and see approach to DLC means Sony thinks its a bomb and it will get no support. Its sad to see a developer that jam packs a game with sick content and its somehow a negative that they aren't right away thinking about trying to get more money out of you.

I always hate day one DLC as it seems like its just content that could have been in the game but they just wanted to charge you extra for it. I love DLC just as long as its an extra not trying to charge you 75 dollars for 60 dollars worth of stuff.

Unicorn

Mr. Slam dammit.

Slam sux, sorry.
Goddam Spectre
He's in. Kamikaze is Spectre. TM Website lists him as Spectre.
yellow jacket is the correct answer
Yellow Jacket is my second pick after Twister. DAT CAB.
what I still don't understand is how the euro psn store has the original twisted metal for download, and yet, the us store doesn't.

Tossing my at in for ot phrase:

Twisted Metal OT: Jaffe's finest/final hour!
I could've sworn I saw TM1 on the PSN store (USA)
Well, since we're talking about DLC vehicles....I want Calypso's Missile Truck!!

Sorry Twisted Metal 4 was unplayable. TM3 was at least playable beginning to end.

TM4, and all the characters/vehicles sucked absolute balls. Calypso Nuke truck included.

Endo Punk

The demo is truly gone ;_; Well... it did its job. And why doesn't this thread have a proper title yet? A lot of good suggestions here, just pick one and roll with it.

More suggestions:

Twisted Metal |OT| One way ticket.
Twisted Metal |OT| Your GF will pleasure you!
Twisted Metal |OT| [insert fighting] meets [insert driving game]
Twisted Metal |OT| Cook for maximum damage.
Twisted Metal |OT| Chainsaw. Flamin or Cold steel?
Twisted Metal |OT| Seperating the Psychos from the Schoolboys.

If this is to be the last game in the series, well, at least we finally got a new Twisted Metal to remind us the better days of gaming. Jaffe be praised!

Tokubetsu

Twisted Metal |OT| Let Flaming Chainsaw Show You The Way
Twisted Metal |OT| Cult of The Flaming Chainsaw
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw for President
Twisted Metal |OT| God Forgives, Flaming Chainsaw Don't
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw, No DLC
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw Art Project
Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw in C#

naib

I have to swallow a lot of pride to pre order. I feel like GS wins every time I do it, but I did it. Just can't risk Fry's selling out.

Classic controls work perfect for me. Can't wait.

Polo67

I'm playing the demo and STILL have not been able to connect to 1 game online.. I live on Guam.. but I can connect to star hawk beta, COD and uncharted 3 just fine.. think i might have a final release issue?

sarcoa

I saw that as well and would love for it to be included in game. I have died twice by someone killing my driver and I don't know how they did it so consistently. Maybe they wait until the time ran out?
I was thumbing through the manual and apparently you can instakill the driver if you keep the sniper reticule locked on his vehicle for long enough.

I just realized something... I have not preordered it yet I want it day one. Is Axel the only preorder bonus and is TM:Black part of first editions or do I have to preorder for TM:Black?

Samus4145

Normally I wouldn't mind an expiring online demo before release, but the fact it was riddled with so many connection bugs that some people, including myself, never was able to connect once is not right.

Top Bottom