• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did go down this path. While Geoff didn't exactly say this, EA's actions with shutting down the online pass leads me to believe that Sony will have something planned for the PS4. I don't think EA would scrap it if Microsoft were the only ones doing it.

Meelow

Banned
yup, in a nut shell, pathetic ass MS and Nintendo fanboys looking for anything to spread FUD, this WHOLE fucking thread because of what the Doritos pope THINKS based he's heard, what are going to do though man.....

Ahh...You can't blame all Nintendo and Microsoft fans because of a thread.

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

And chubigans should probably PM me again telling me to be quiet.

They won't have it optional for third parties, either. They simply wont do it because (a) Japan is still a viable market for them who has a large used game industry, (b) there is no online requirement (though they could use that chip patent) and (c) virtually no inside sources indicate this is happening like there was with MS, only the idea of "well if MS is doing it then Sony will. Gotta please the publishers!"

They will have it optional. Just like they already have it optional on the ps3. And just like Nintendo has it optional on the WiiU.

People are not thinking clearly, losing their minds and jumping to conclusions. Just wait for more official details.

ReaperXL7

famousmortimer confirmed this.

It's coming, sorry guys.

He just said that from he has heard they dropped it in this thread. Im still holding out for the worst on all this honestly, if they prove all of this right, well then this will be the first Sony system i will never own, and I wont care any further what happens to them as a company.

I have no intention of supporting any company who employs these anti consumer bullshit tactics.

CDX

Hopefully not. If it's true I'll say Hello to a Nintendo + PC only future for me.

And to think I was actually kind of looking forward to using the Vita on the PS4.

But honestly the anti-used game part didn't bother me nearly as much as the always online (once every 24 hour) DRM. So if Sony doesn't do that, it might not be as bad as it seems.

Audioboxer

There's already a Bound Round Thread, but given how connected Geoff Keighley is in the industry I thought his Sony DRM for rental games comments deserved it's own thread. At 17:50 during today's Bonus Round he notes his sources are indicating Sony will implement some sort of used game DRM. Given Sony's rather ambiguous comments on the subject, I think we should brace for the worst.

Just watched the show now, what was actually said

"white knight (referring to Sony) that's not going to restrict used games, based on some of the things I'm hearing I don't think that's entirely true because I can't see publishers allowing one system to do one thing or the other".

Sounds like a guess based on the weight the bolded part has. He didn't even mention "sources", or say the word sources, only said some things he is hearing. The title therefore is rather misleading.

This should be expected of everyone.

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

Interesting

theDeeDubs

Did we ever find out what those microsoft-sony/sony-microsoft domains were for? What if they're in cahoots on the used game system...

Spongebob

Banned

Oh, shit.

Please be true.

famousmortimer just said they most likely won't use it unless i reading his post wrong .
Yah, just saw his post.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

So you're saying... they saw the massive amount of backlash and decided to skip on it?

DesertFox

i swear,seems like some people are HOPING that sony will follow microsoft in this bullshit just so they can say "see?microsoft it's not THAT evil or stupid,other companies are equally evil or stupid"

More like relishing the poetic justice of the situation.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I can indeed. And I should indeed, haha.

mortimer has some legit sources guys. If a mod needs me to confirm I certainly can.

ironcreed

Banned

A ray of hope, fellas.

GQman2121

Banned
It'll be interesting to see if they don't block first party games and leave third parties to make the decision on their own.

MS Used Rumor: Set in stone
Sony Used Rumor: "Pulled out of his ass" "BS" "I'll wait till I hear it from Sony"
The rumors people dismissed (vehemently I might add) about MS turned out to be true, and confirmed by their own reps, in their own words.

But yeah, besides that these two things are completely identical.

Kusagari

So they were that affected by the reaction to the Bone?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sony .. Please don't. You are so close to having all of my next gen money.

Replicant

If this is true, I'm not getting the console. Thankfully I still have a lot of backlog on my PS3 so that will last me ages. And then, I don't know, maybe I'll try PC if that isn't riddled with DRM either. This is disappointing though. Hopefully Sony changes their position fast.

EDIT: oh, so apparently they reconsidering? They better be. Fuck EA if they do this shit though. After last gen, I'd do an absolute and total boycott of their shit from here on.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
EA wouldn't have scrapped the online pass if both Sony and MS hadn't planned a similar DRM scheme. It's disappointing that there's a level of collusion there (potentially).

That said, after the fall out from the MS unveiling I'd be really nervous for E3 if I was MS or Sony. They would have expected some negativity but perhaps not to the level that was directed at the Xbox One.

The WiiU has proven that offering a slightly improved experience isn't enough to convince the public to upgrade to a next generation system. The upgrades Sony and MS are promising aren't the gigantic leap they've offered in the past. I'm wondering how they're going to attempt to convince the gaming community to fall in line by offering less (ownership) for more (expense).

I'm presuming this is why MS are pushing services such as TV integration on their system in a misguided attempt to add value to the system.

I can almost see both Sony and MS avoiding the DRM issue entirely for E3 as they'll want to show both systems in the best light.

I couldn't care less what games are on show or what the PS4 looks like now, I just want a clear, detailed answer for how they intend to handle DRM on their systems.

If the next generation comes down to a choice between $5 DRM riddled games on Steam and $90 DRM riddled games on the PS4 or Xbox One, that choice is a simple one.

Deku Tree

I will wait to hear from Sony before jumping to conclusions. I did the same for MS.

It would totally suck if either or both of them decide to have different DRM and different used game rules based upon the region. So Japan could get used games but USA does not allow it, and the EU is somewhere in between. That would make me go PC+Wii U only for sure.

Trevelyon

Going on what motimer's saying, seems like they're going back and forth on it hardcore. One can only hope the MS debacle may have tipped the decision to a no, but it seems the issue is in a state of flux.

I expected this. But since Sony has franchises I actually care about, coupled with the fact that I tend to buy PS3 games I want on day 1, I think I'll be fine.

Top Bottom