• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts running on a PSP Go

brain_stew said:
http://wololo.net/wagic/2010/12/25/release-prometheus-iso-loader-by-liquidzigong/

There goes the last major excuse mant people had for not picking up (by far) the best portable gaming device on the market. These things can be had for less than $100 in NA now and under £150 in the UK with 10 (mostly top tier) games. The "Essentials" range means there's plenty of good content on PSN that's really cheap now as well.

i've always wanted to upgrade my psp1000 to a go, but when i found out that some games would not be coming out for the damn thing, i stopped caring. but this is good news indeed.
how easy is it to jailbreak a psp go for this?
cheers.

DMPrince said:
they would have to get a cfw psp with the umd to rip right? that's a lot of money to put it on psp go.
*cough* torrents *cough* Of course, I'm only implying that people should do that for games they own. >_>

duckroll

brain_stew said:
http://wololo.net/wagic/2010/12/25/release-prometheus-iso-loader-by-liquidzigong/

There goes the last major excuse mant people had for not picking up (by far) the best portable gaming device on the market. These things can be had for less than $100 in NA now and under £150 in the UK with 10 (mostly top tier) games. The "Essentials" range means there's plenty of good content on PSN that's really cheap now as well.

So tell me, if I buy a PSP Go and KH BbS, how do I play it on the Go?

ninj4junpei said:
*cough* torrents *cough*

What are you saying? I don't understand you...

ninj4junpei said:
*cough* torrents *cough* Of course, I'm only implying that people should do that for games they own. >_>
well it doesn't work here as it's a UMD release only ;P and i doubt a lot of people would go buy the game for psp go to magically get it working :lol.

Tabris

If I own the UMDs already, what is the legality of downloading the ISOs?

I just don't know how I can rip them.

I would like a PSP GO. It's a sexy console. But I want to buy UMD's to have the physical media.

Takao

Banned
duckroll said:

You'd need to install CFW on your UMD based PSP, put the UMD of BbS, rip it, then install the sort of CFW on the Go, and put the rip of your UMD on the Go's hard-drive. But that's only if you're classy.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The analog nub on my PSP-2000 is wearing out, so I'm really tempted to pick up a PSP Go now. I buy just about all my PSP games through PSN anyway.
Just a bit worried about how it feels, is it comfortable to actually use for longer periods of time?

duckroll

Takao said:
You'd need to install CFW on your UMD based PSP, put the UMD of BbS, rip it, then install the sort of CFW on the Go, and put the rip of your UMD on the Go's hard-drive. But that's only if you're classy.

Wait so I will have to buy a normal PSP as well as a PSP Go?! Why not just play the game on the normal PSP then?!

leroidys

I don't understand why they won't just release these few holdout games on psn. They are just incentivizing people to hack their systems.

B.K.

Tabris said:
I just don't know how I can rip them.

If you have a PSP with custom firmware, it's incredibly simple to rip games. It just takes a few minutes to do it.

Linkzg said:
what firmware do new psp go come with?

Don't know. I haven't picked one up yet. I believe some people in the custom firmware thread said it's below 6.20. It's 5.something.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
duckroll said:
Wait so I will have to buy a normal PSP as well as a PSP Go?! Why not just play the game on the normal PSP then?!
You need a regular PSP with CFW to rip the game from. I guess you can DL it if you own the game...but Im not sure the legality from that.

DR2K

Banned
duckroll said:

Same reason someone would prefer to ride a luxury car over a unicycle.

Takao said:

Quite tedious :x

I have a Go and bought Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep UMD's (forever owned) and my nephew recently bought a PSP3000.

Would be so awesome if I can finally play my UMD games on the PSPGo (Fuck you Square Enix!) :lol

leroidys

duckroll said:
Who is "they" here?

Sorry that was pretty incoherent. The they's refer to squenix and sony respectively. But squenix has a stake in making piracy unpalatable on the system, and I'm sure sony has some degree of leverage over them that if there was any sort of effort, games like KH and FFT would be on psn easily. As far as I understand, the downloadable psn titles are essentially an ISO of the UMD. If that is the case, I just can not understand why 100% of the psp's titles aren't on psn.

Ezalc

A few things:

1)I already have a PSP.
2)I'm poor.
3)I'm not buying another fucking psp.
4)The DS will always be infinitely better. See 5 as to why.
5)Tetris DS.

mooooose

duckroll said:
It's a grey area, but like someone suggested, you could buy the UMD and torrent the ISO. Not exactly practical but a workaround service for something Sony won't provide...

duckroll

DR2K said:
Same reason someone would prefer to ride a luxury car over a unicycle.

I'm sure you have that backwards.

mooooose said:
It's a grey area, but like someone suggested, you could buy the UMD and torrent the ISO. Not exactly practical but a workaround service for something Sony won't provide...

It's not a grey area legally at all. Morally sure. The moment you launch a torrent of a copyrighted work, you are not just downloading something, you are also uploading it.

kazuma_pt said:
i've always wanted to upgrade my psp1000 to a go, but when i found out that some games would not be coming out for the damn thing, i stopped caring. but this is good news indeed.
how easy is it to jailbreak a psp go for this?
cheers.

Very, all details are at the site I linked.

duckroll said:

What are you saying? I don't understand you...

You rip it with with the knackered old PSP 1k you bought years ago but don't use because its a clunky POS.

duckroll

DonMigs85 said:
Is this over USB? I don't think the older PSPs have Bluetooth correct?

Yes.

brain_stew said:
You rip it with with the knackered old PSP 1k you bought years ago but don't use because its a clunky POS.

Haha, whatever. You keep trolling regular PSPs, and I'll keep trolling the useless PSP Go. What a failure. :lol

mooooose

DonMigs85 said:
Is this over USB? I don't think the older PSPs have Bluetooth correct?
It's more convoluted. You need a CFW PSP with the RemoteJoy plugin. Then you need to plug your PSP into the computer via USB. Then you need to plug your DS3 into the computer via USB (Bluetooth drivers don't exist). The drivers suck too.

Then you can play your PSP with your DS3. But you need a computer with you.

DR2K

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm sure you have that backwards.

The only way I'd go back to the PSP 1000-3000 after playing the GO is if someone put a gun to my head. They're just UMD burners to me.

Tabris

What they needed to do was do a one-time digital redemption code to be included with a PSP UMD sale? I understand the fear they had would be people would give the redemption codes to their friends or sell them while just using the UMD... or the opposite way.

mooooose said:
It's more convoluted. You need a CFW PSP with the RemoteJoy plugin. Then you need to plug your PSP into the computer via USB. Then you need to plug your DS3 into the computer via USB (Bluetooth drivers don't exist). The drivers suck too.

:\

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
brain_stew said:
There goes the last major excuse mant people had for not picking up (by far) the best portable gaming device on the market.

Except you need to run an old firmware on the Go, it cuts you off PSN (the main selling point of the Go)'s catalog unless you use MediaGo, and isn't officially supported.

Oh, yeah, and some of us run PSP-1/2/3000's that can run the game... without modification... on our UMD drive!

I'll wait until the PSPGo is being firesaled at $50 before I jump on one. No further.

duckroll

mooooose said:

For those who are really interested in getting the best possible result in using a controller + TV/monitor to play PSP games, CFW knocks the PSP Go out of the park. You have so many more options in terms of video output and controller settings, etc, it's not even close.

Lies! That's some crazy new Kingdom Hearts game, not the original PS2 game! Here I was hoping we'd have a way to play *really* cool games on the PSPGo...

DR2K

Banned
TheSeks said:
I'll wait until the PSPGo is being firesaled at $50 before I jump on one. No further.

At the rate they're dropping, it might be sooner than you think. :lol

TheSeks said:
Except you need to run an old firmware on the Go, it cuts you off PSN (the main selling point of the Go)'s catalog unless you use MediaGo, and isn't officially supported.

Oh, yeah, and some of us run PSP-1/2/3000's that can run the game... without modification... on our UMD drive!

What's the problem with using Media Go? Its the best and simplest way to manage and buy PSP content. Downloading PSN content through the GO itself is an exercise in frustration.

Regardless, with kernal access that restriction will be gone in no time, if it isn't already.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mooooose said:

This is why I never bothered.

Buying a PSP Go now.

I have an old launch PSP-1000 thats sole purpose will be ripping my UMDs.
Bye bye horrible ghosting.

Boney

Banned
If you only have a go, you could use a friend's psp to rip the game.

It's a hassle, but the Go is so damn cheap, and offers so much vallue, it's hard to pass it by.

Top Bottom