• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Update-
IGN comments:
Hi! I left the message below on the news story linked in the OP, but I figured I should leave it here as well:

"I understand why someone would consider what we discussed newsworthy, but this story completely ignores an important piece of context: We didn't trust these sources enough to run a story on IGN."

It's a conversation, and sometimes we get carried away. Peer did make the above argument, but we also framed the discussion around the context that we weren't sure. Unfortunately, the author made no effort to convey that in his news story.

If we believed what we'd heard, you wouldn't have found out about it on another site. We would have run that story ourselves. Just food for thought.

I don't blame anyone for running with it, but omitting that context from the story is pretty shady. Again, I get it. But I'm here to tell you the discussion wasn't as simple as "this is for real, guys!"

-Original-

Word on the interwebs suggests that the Big N is gearing up for some sort of hardware reveal at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo.

"We've heard rumors that Nintendo might be showing hardware at E3," IGN editor Jose Otero said on the latest episode of Nintendo Voice Chat.

"They're absolutely going to show new hardware this year," the outlet's co-founder, Peer Schneider added. "No doubt in my mind that something... 'Cause I've heard from multiple people now. I've heard from someone who used to be at Nintendo, I've heard it from somebody on the third-party front."

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...585?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Interesting, maybe a revised gamepad/cheaper model?

Videogamer too now

http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_will_reveal_new_hardware_at_e3.html

Nintendo will reveal new hardware at E3, a third-party publishing source has told VideoGamer.com.

Games compatible with the hardware will also be playable at the show, our source says, with the hardware believed to be linked to system specs leaked earlier in the year.

Those specs suggest that the hardware will be formed of two parts - a 'Fusion DS' and a 'Fusion Terminal' - and be a successor to the platform holder's struggling Wii U.

Our source's comments tally with those made by IGN earlier today who revealed that they had "heard rumours that Nintendo might be showing hardware at E3".

"They are absolutely going to show new hardware this year, there is no doubt in my mind..." said IGN's Peer Schneider. "I've heard it from multiple people now. I've heard it from someone who used to be at Nintendo, I've heard it from somebody on the third-party front."

The site then speculates that Nintendo could reveal a new peripheral or hardware revision rather than a new console.

Nintendo told VideoGamer.com that it does not comment on rumour or speculation when contacted about the story earlier today.

The platform holder is set to host its E3 digital event on Tuesday, June 10.

MCV too now

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-nintendo-hardware-for-e3-reports-claim/0131914

Two sources online have claimed that Nintendo will announce some sort of new hardware at E3 – the same thing that MCV has been told in recent days.

IGN's Peer Schneider said in a podcast that: “Nintendo are absolutely going to show new hardware this year, there is no doubt in my mind. I've heard it from multiple people now. I've heard it from someone who used to be at Nintendo, I've heard it from somebody on the third-party front".

The site then adds that, much like MCV, it remains uncertain as to what form the hardware will take. Are we talking a Wii U successor? A new handheld? Or even a 'quality of health' health machine? No-one seems certain at the moment.

Apart from Videogamer, that is, which claims that a source has told it that “games compatible with the hardware will also be playable at the show”. It reckons the new machine WILL be a Wii U successor and will come in two parts – one for the home and one for gaming on the move.

Nintendo isn't holding an E3 press conference this year but will instead release a video on June 10th.

Floex

Next handheld I would be more than happy to see.

New home console not so much unless it's the rumoured hybrid.

FHIZ

"We have heard the fans, and we're finally giving them they want!"

VitalitySensor.jpg

RM8

3DS redesign. Brighter screens, better battery, OG 3DS-sized, launches in blue. Please :p I'd buy one even if you announce it at the Direct and not on a live stage!

Murrah

Banned
Too early for new handheld or console even if sales aren't great/are abysmal; I wouldn't be entirely surprised about new entries for both next year though. So probably revision or QoL

3DS redesign. Brighter screens, better battery, OG 3DS-sized, launches in blue. Please :p I'd buy one even if you announce it at the Direct and not on a live stage!

3ds xl didnt do that for you?

ithinking about regetting 3ds... might hold off if there's a new version.

If this was a new platform, they would no doubt hold a press conference. Nintendo is stupid, but not that stupid.

This is no doubt, at most, a hardware revision. It is likely, however, it is nothing at all.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
They should just make their next handheld capable of wirelessly outputting to a TV, similar to Chromecast, and never release a home console again. On the go it would function like a DS, and at home, it would function like a Wii U.

Yeah, no.

If there was one thing that I would be sure Nintendo would have a big stageshow for, it would be a piece of brand new hardware.

Yes, there will be a new 3DS model this year. But that hardly takes rumours or a genius to figure out, there's been a new handheld release every year since the DSiXL (and the DSi for that matter, outside of japan).

QOL I guess.

Really though for all of Nintendo's talk about expanding their market, IDK why they'd make the QOL thing game based.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They got this because of the "new nintendo system" mention in the source code of the E3 Website, didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom