• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

A question for our more budget-minded members: do you bother budgeting for super personal contributions or do you just let the compulsary employer contributions cover it?

Obviously it's down to how much spare cash I have around after the rest of my budget and my own person feelings on retirement etc, but I was just wondering to what extent ya'll pumped more into super.

i just get confused because 80-90% of investment threads are by americans who have no concept of compulsary retirement savings

Personally I think it's better to keep an eye on how your super is managed and how much you are losing to fees / sneaky insurance deductions.

A little more super money goes a long way but you may be better off investing it elsewhere for more immediate return. And you're also betting on the super system being unchanged for another 40 to 50 years till you can access it (assuming we all get stuck with a late retirement).

The misses and I are currently looking into self managed super funds via family trusts and if you're going after an investment property you can use your super as the capital and rent it out from there. Given capital gains, the real estate market and rent being almost 1 to 1 for mortgages these days were seriously considering this a far better investment than just regular super (co)contributions.

Franziska

I got a call from Apple this morning and they informed me that my laptop was ready for pickup. No contact after diagnosis/before initiating repairs (even though they said they would).

Replaced the faulty logic board, and and threw in a (free) screen replacement for some reason.

bomma_man

Any recommendations for budgeting apps? I tried YNAB but it doesn't seem to be able to sink up with Aus accounts, which (I think?) defeats the purpose. Since we bought a house I have saved exactly $0 (admittedly a lot being put into improvements) and I want to tighten up a bit. I haven't even thought about super or investing or anything like that 😫

Franziska

Pen & Paper :^), though I guess that doesn't sync automatically either. I know that GNU/Cash supports QIF/CSV, but again that's not automatic.

I've heard that Pocketbook syncs automatically, but I have never used it personally. Caveat Emptor etc.

Any recommendations for budgeting apps? I tried YNAB but it doesn't seem to be able to sink up with Aus accounts, which (I think?) defeats the purpose. Since we bought a house I have saved exactly $0 (admittedly a lot being put into improvements) and I want to tighten up a bit. I haven't even thought about super or investing or anything like that 😫

I'm using an Excel spreadsheet with all recurring expenses tabulated in one sheet, regular income in another and the main page is where I list fortnightly expenses as they crop up. At the end of the fortnight I record the surplus on the final sheet and then clear the first page of data.

mulac

Stuff on eBay today but figured i'd stick it here incase fellow AusGaf interested.
I'm in Sydney...

Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Full Tower Chassis (Black)
  • $180.00
  • Selling this as no longer needed. Its not in perfect condition (some of the drive cages have been removed) and a little bit 'dented' but is fully functional and ready to install pc parts.
  • Lower price as its still a premium product, fully capable to take on water cooling or anything you might throw at it.
  • No case or manuals or screws - like I said its been used and currently sitting doing nothing.
  • Local pickup only as this thing is heavy.
F3E2Fn4m.jpg

Home-Built Gaming PC (Top Quality Components) - Ready to Go
  • $550
  • Built-from-scratch full gaming PC with clean copy of Windows 10 installed.
  • Premium items all bought as new over the last few years.
  • I have no need for this computer so looking to sell.
  • Everything works perfectly, no dust or electrical problems - ready to go.
  • All parts directly bought in Australia and are brand-new. You will not find a more complete set of excellent PC components together - suitable for general web, office work and can handle games, video editing, anything (within reason).
  • Package includes all the below plus power cable (Aussie). No box or manuals.
  • RRP for all the parts is well over $1000 at current prices so this is a great deal!
  • Case: Corsair SPEC-Alpha Mid-Tower Gaming Case - Black/Red
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel LGA 1150 ATX Motherboard
  • RAM: GSkill F3 1600 DDR 16GB (4x4 cards)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3470
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i Low Profile Intel CPU Cooler
  • Power: Corsair CS650M 650W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply
  • Fans: 3x Corsair 120mm
  • HDD: SeaGate 2GB Barracudda HDD
  • Graphics: Asus Strix 980 GTX 4GB
  • Wifi Enhancer: ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 PCI-E Adapt
  • All connecting cables already installed
  • Local pickup only with cash or paypal accepted. Happy to negotiate on price aswell.

qt7tTKum.jpg

rl67PQ9m.jpg

Quasar

Spent the weekend repainting a bookcase. Part way through realised I've spent about as much on paint and gear as I'd spend on buying a new bookcase. Damn paint is expensive.

hirokazu

Spent the weekend repainting a bookcase. Part way through realised I've spent about as much on paint and gear as I'd spend on buying a new bookcase. Damn paint is expensive.
LOL. At least painting is a more pleasant experience than putting together a flatpacked bookcase.

BubbaMc

Any recommendations for budgeting apps? I tried YNAB but it doesn't seem to be able to sink up with Aus accounts, which (I think?) defeats the purpose. Since we bought a house I have saved exactly $0 (admittedly a lot being put into improvements) and I want to tighten up a bit. I haven't even thought about super or investing or anything like that ��

Even if auto sync did work with Australian accounts it's not foolproof.

YNAB is great. Manually enter all your cash or card spending (really easy to do), setup everything else as scheduled transactions, and reconcile the accounts every time you get a statement.

Also I'd recommend YNAB Classic over the new version.

Fredescu

A question for our more budget-minded members: do you bother budgeting for super personal contributions or do you just let the compulsary employer contributions cover it?

If you're young, don't do it. You're locking away money that you can't touch for 30-40 years. Who knows what you might go through between now and retirement. If you want to invest and forget there are managed funds that would probably give you the same or better return as your super fund, with the added bonus that you can take it out a lot sooner.

The exception to this would be if your employer matches your contribution. I know some do. That's free money.

MoonGred

I've watched far too much TI over the weekend to the point where I now want to play dota myself. Please talk me out of this mistake.

Quasar

LOL. At least painting is a more pleasant experience than putting together a flatpacked bookcase.

True. Though bookcases tend to not have my personal bugbears, hinges and drawers. Of course, the bookcase I planned to get before deciding to just repaint was one with glass doors, which may have driven me insane getting the doors to close flush and exactly straight.

BTW I would like to assure all and sundry that I am an Australian citizen and that I have no allegiances to New Zealand or any other scummy country and am eligible to post on AusGAF.

jambo

It looks like shit.

The 720p rip is someone screen recording their phone running the HBO app.

The 1080p rip is someone screen recording their PC running the HBO browser.

Both have bad colour and gamma balance.

It looks like shit.

The 720p rip is someone screen recording their phone running the HBO app.

The 1080p rip is someone screen recording their PC running the HBO browser.

Both have bad colour and gamma balance.

Ah, enlightening. Show should be watched at highest quality because of all those fancy looking dragons and shit.

Machina

Banned
Pauline Hanson just wore a full face burka into the Senate floor, and got a healthy dose of acid from George Brandis of all people as a result.

That paranoid weed of a ranga needs to be thrown out of parliament. Disgrace.

Pauline Hanson just wore a full face burka into the Senate floor, and got a healthy dose of acid from George Brandis of all people as a result.

I think i preferred it when her face was covered.

Cerity

Any ausgaffers clued up on frequent flyer cards? starting to fly around a bit for work and figured I may as well start racking up those points.

Yeah, so far disconnected from reality. Thought it was a chaser/betoota article when I read the headline.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Any ausgaffers clued up on frequent flyer cards? starting to fly around a bit for work and figured I may as well start racking up those points.

Yeah, so far disconnected from reality. Thought it was a chaser/betoota article when I read the headline.

I have a Qantas frequent flyer card, as work flys qantas, that was the smart choice.

just sign up to whom ever your work is flying you on :)

then request all future jobs only fly you via that airline!

Recreat3

Bloody hell, this is a bit scary actually!

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...ng-with-a-childs-lego-set-in-australia-2017-8

2 metre long Eastern Brown snake in a Lego set on the Gold Coast.

Looks menacing in the photo:

Gold-coast-snake-catchers.jpg

Eeek. That would make me faint haha.

Went into telstra today to re-contract and upgrade to samsung s8. Wow the lady that worked there tried to talk me into getting a $160 plan and after i told her i wanted the $105 plan (showed it to her on the telstra website), she claimed to have not heard of that plan and said it was probably online only.

Left the store without a new phone and rang my brother who manages a telstra store. He knew the plan i was talking about straight away and is setting me up with a new phone etc. A bit inconvenient because he is about an hour and a half away but worth it.

Do these telstra workers just think consumers are stupid and never do research?

I want the duck's guts

just had me thinking about how a few years ago the latest phones were at most $100/month and no phone cost more than $1000 outright. while there are definitely more cheap feature-packed phones and good value plans than there used to be, the other end of the scale seems to just keep going up!

saw this on twitter and thought of ausgaf

So who has to Vote tomorrow ?

guessing almost no one within AUSgaf :p
I do. We're heading over to Woodcrest Colleg over in Springfield. They're having an "Election Day market" event of some kind.

Democracy sausage is the bare minimum, methinks.

By the way, does Anthony Antonelli look like Littlefinger to anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom