• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hm... What counts as non-Japanese though? Curry rice? Hamburger steak? Yakiniku? Ramen? :p

We get MOS Burger because it's "Japanese" but we can't get other explicitly ethnic foods like Thai (I bet there's really good Thai food there too), Chinese, Italian, or Mexican.

We did end up getting Italian once on our first trip because it suddenly started raining pretty bad and we were hungry but otherwise it's no bueno.

We get MOS Burger because it's "Japanese" but we can't get other explicitly ethnic foods like Thai (I bet there's really good Thai food there too), Chinese, Italian, or Mexican.

We did end up getting Italian once on our first trip because it suddenly started raining pretty bad and we were hungry but otherwise it's no bueno.

Alright then.

I just want to say that I followed someone's advice and ended up at a bar that was Gaijen friendly by accident. I met some of th greatest people I've ever met in my life, added them to Facebook and can't believe I made lifelong friends. Like wow.

Zyzyxxz

My wife won't let me eat non-Japanese food in Japan so since I'll be alone when I go next I'm going to be eating tons of stuff like this.

It's pretty closed minded or ignorant. The French food in Japan rivals France.

Theres so much interested modern western influenced food these days as well.

Fei

Hey Japan Travel-GAF, has anyone here done a family trip to Japan? I'm hoping to do three weeks, which means I'd have to aim for summertime because of the kids schooling. My kids would be 6 and 10, and are real champs when it comes to flights and travel. We did traveling through Europe last summer without any complaints from them even with heat (low 90s). Am I crazy trying to do this with kids in the summer? Any tips?

I'm thinking of something like a week in each Tokyo (including Disney), Kyoto/Nara/Osaka, and Hokkaido. The kids love the outdoors and looking through anything old, like castles/churches. The festivals and fireworks at night sound pretty great. We're not huge on beach vacations, so I'm thinking of skipping Okinawa even though it might be great in summer - bad idea?

We're somewhat competent travelers at this point, but I admit the culture differences have me a bit nervous! By the time we go, my wife and I should be able to speak basic Japanese. It seems like the language barrier won't be too bad as long as we do our research on etiquette and can speak low-level Japanese as we get outside the cities...

PS. Reading through some of this thread has already provided some great advice - thanks in advance!

Planning a trip for this year, me, my mom, my grandma and my girlfriend (who speaks pretty decent Japanese and has lived there for a couple of months before). This should be interesting....

Will have to look through the thread for ideas. Anything specific anybody wants to throw my way is appreciated though lol

If you know a good Thai restaurant let me know.

Hm... Haven't eaten Thai in Japan. Did try in South Korea though ;P

Hey Japan Travel-GAF, has anyone here done a family trip to Japan? I'm hoping to do three weeks, which means I'd have to aim for summertime because of the kids schooling. My kids would be 6 and 10, and are real champs when it comes to flights and travel. We did traveling through Europe last summer without any complaints from them even with heat (low 90s). Am I crazy trying to do this with kids in the summer? Any tips?

I'm thinking of something like a week in each Tokyo (including Disney), Kyoto/Nara/Osaka, and Hokkaido. The kids love the outdoors and looking through anything old, like castles/churches. The festivals and fireworks at night sound pretty great. We're not huge on beach vacations, so I'm thinking of skipping Okinawa even though it might be great in summer - bad idea?

It's the combination of both the heat and the high humidity that makes it terrible in the summer :p

If you're going to Disney, make sure you check crowd calendars. You do NOT want to be there on highly crowded days in the summer waiting 4 hours in line to ride a single ride.

Unless you got a particular reason to visit Okinawa I'd advise against it since you'll need to fly there and rent a car to get around if you're planning to go around sightseeing instead of just staying in 1 place relaxing.

Planning a trip for this year, me, my mom, my grandma and my girlfriend (who speaks pretty decent Japanese and has lived there for a couple of months before). This should be interesting....

Will have to look through the thread for ideas. Anything specific anybody wants to throw my way is appreciated though lol

Any idea what month?

Hm... Haven't eaten Thai in Japan. Did try in South Korea though ;P

Hmm, I didn't know it was possible to travel to other parts of Asia....

vetrox

Turns out I'll be visiting Japan in May. Some kind of lingering life long goal suddenly becoming real. My buddy and I just got our vacation time approved and booked our flights. Not much time for planning, but what the hell. We will arrive on the 3rd in Osaka, spend about a week in Kansai and then a week in Tokyo. After that my mate will fly home on the 16th while I will stay on my lonesome until the 24th.

A few questions if you will! Any answers are appreciated.

The JR Pass seems like an obvious choice. Is there a way to order it electronically without going through a travel agency? If I order it now I'm worried we won't get it in time, since agencies seem to only send them by post.

We really want to visit Kyoto, Nara and perhaps hike the mountains above Kobe for a day. If we have seven days, is then three days in Kyoto, two in Osaka and one for both Kobe and Nara a decent split? I read dofry's comment that Nara is a half day trip, so we might try to squeeze it in that way.

Is staying at a bath house "ryokan" for a night a realistic option for two people who speak next to no Japanese?

I heard the streets of Akihabara are closed from traffic during Sundays. Is this the best day to visit?

Is it easy to find hostels with available beds? Since Golden Week is coming up we're a tad worried we'll be sleeping on park benches if we don't arrange accommodations ahead of time, although we really want to keep our itinerary open if possible.

Nice shots! I hope the cherry blossoms will remain when I arrive next week.

Turns out I'll be visiting Japan in May. Some kind of lingering life long goal suddenly becoming real. My buddy and I just got our vacation time approved and booked our flights. Not much time for planning, but what the hell. We will arrive on the 3rd in Osaka, spend about a week in Kansai and then a week in Tokyo. After that my mate will fly home on the 16th while I will stay on my lonesome until the 24th.

The JR Pass seems like an obvious choice. Is there a way to order it electronically without going through a travel agency? If I order it now I'm worried we won't get it in time, since agencies seem to only send them by post.

We really want to visit Kyoto, Nara and perhaps hike the mountains above Kobe for a day. If we have seven days, is then three days in Kyoto, two in Osaka and one for both Kobe and Nara a decent split? I read dofry's comment that Nara is a half day trip, so we might try to squeeze it in that way.

Is staying at a bath house "ryokan" for a night a realistic option for two people who speak next to no Japanese?

I heard the streets of Akihabara are closed from traffic during Sundays. Is this the best day to visit?

Is it easy to find hostels with available beds? Since Golden Week is coming up we're a tad worried we'll be sleeping on park benches if we don't arrange accommodations ahead of time, although we really want to keep our itinerary open if possible.

Nice shots! I hope the cherry blossoms will remain when I arrive next week.

I ordered my Japan rail pass from here. They shipped via FedEx and it took four days to get here from Spain.

I stayed at a bath house in Kyoto where the staff spoke very little English. While I communicated in Japanese, they made a really good effort to work with us when language barrier was an issue.

Every day is a good day to visit Akihabara but on Sundays the stores will be a bit more crowded.

If you're flying into KIX and out again from NRT or HND then an JR Pass is a waste of money.

You should try to book something unless you fancy hunting for somewhere to sleep each day :p

Lego Boss

We're somewhat competent travelers at this point, but I admit the culture differences have me a bit nervous! By the time we go, my wife and I should be able to speak basic Japanese. It seems like the language barrier won't be too bad as long as we do our research on etiquette and can speak low-level Japanese as we get outside the cities...

PS. Reading through some of this thread has already provided some great advice - thanks in advance!

Just got back from Japan with a five year old and eight year old (both girls). On average we walked 10 miles a day - first week in Tokyo visiting museums, gardens, and shrines and nightimes in the neon areas, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akiba. They were fine with that and they loved going to the zoo (pandas are a once in lifetime expereince) and the swan boats on the lake in Ueno Park. The Japanese doted on both the girls and if you have a blonde (as we do) they we will be asking for photographs and saying how cute they are all day long. It's refereshing and touching and flies in the face of the insualar Japanese stereotype (which seems quite outdated).

Second week we did a very simialr itinerary to you. Stayed in Osaka, went to Umeda Sky Garden first night, travlled to Kyoto for Hanami, shrines and Gion on Saturday. Osakakojoen and aquarium on Sunday (that place is amazing for kids). Back to Kyoto on Monday (it rained all day, we went up to the very top of Fushima Inari via central temples and it was a right mission). Went to Hiroshima on Tuesday, Nara on Wednesday (they will love the park with the deer and the gardens are sumptuous) and then back to Tokyo on Thursday for an early flight on Friday.

We were all exhausted, but we did it. If they can travel in any capacity they will love it and they will make it through. Not sure if we could have done more than two weeks though, we were out at 0900 and in at 2200 every day and the lack of sleep was beginning to make the younger one get a cold. She's OK, but it was a hardcore itinerary.

You don't go often, so just go for it and power through it. The Japanese public transport system is the best on the planet. The food is amazing and everyone seemed so welcoming that it was the best trip I have ever taken, family or not.

Enjoy!

Fireblend

Banned
anyone have any experience with bmobile visitor sims? http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html This one looks like it has the best price, 3480 yens for my 9 days trip at Osaka. Are AEON,Yodobashi Camera &BIC Camera available at the Osaka airport?

I do, it works fine. I picked mine up at the airport's post office (Narita); do remember to bring a pin-thing to open the sim tray for your cellphone if it's got one of those, we were unable to open mine until we got to our airbnb and it was troublesome >_>

Gitaroo

I do, it works fine. I picked mine up at the airport's post office (Narita); do remember to bring a pin-thing to open the sim tray for your cellphone if it's got one of those, we were unable to open mine until we got to our airbnb and it was troublesome >_>

Thanks! Should I preorder online or buy at local store? Do they mark up the price a lot at retail store?

ZeusII

Neo Member
Thanks! Should I preorder online or buy at local store? Do they mark up the price a lot at retail store?

On my last trip I did try to get it in a store but there was no stock ;(

I ended getting one from FREETEL which worked just as fine but only 2GB for the same price of 5GB with B-Mobile.

One plus is that they don't cut your service once you use all the data, they just reduce the speed but it stays usable (but slow xD)

https://www.freetel.jp/prepaid/

KillGore

So any opinion on Fuji Q Highland? Is it worth it? is Universal Studios better?

As a non-japanese speaker, will I have problems buying tickets and/or getting into the rides?

So any opinion on Fuji Q Highland? Is it worth it? is Universal Studios better?

As a non-japanese speaker, will I have problems buying tickets and/or getting into the rides?

If you're just going for the rollercoasters then Fuji Q is better. Prepare for lines though :p

If you're more into themed attractions, the Cool Japan and Harry Potter ride experiences more than thrills then Universal is better.

No problems getting into the rides at all.

exhume

Here's my post from the retro thread where I detailed everything I got and showed my tattoo.

My wife also got one that I haven't shared yet. She got hers done in Tokyo by Mika at Detroit Diesel Tattoo Works and it took about 2 hours.

She got it early so she was mostly healed by the time we flew. I got mine at the end of our trip but it wasn't that much trouble.

That is super cute!! I adore traditional Japanese designs :D
Your tattoo is looking awesome, too. It's so hard to find artists that can make anime/game art translate well onto skin.

KillGore

If you're just going for the rollercoasters then Fuji Q is better. Prepare for lines though :p

If you're more into themed attractions, the Cool Japan and Harry Potter ride experiences more than thrills then Universal is better.

No problems getting into the rides at all.

Thanks. Lines? are they Disney level lines?

Can I get to Fuji Q via train? From Tokyo.

I travelled with my 11 year old last summer and we're going again this coming summer. Last time we did 2 weeks split between Tokyo, Kyoto and Miyajima and this time we're doing 4 nights Tokyo and 10 in Hokkaido.

If you're travelling in summer as I did, the only thing to consider is the humidity. It's pretty bad although I'd say from my own experience, it's no worse than Orlando in August.

Also, to counter the post a few on from yours, travel at your own pace - you don't have to be on the go from 9am to 10pm if that's not your thing. In fact, I find that kids often appreciate a little downtime to recharge their batteries otherwise they can get tetchy.

Language wise, I could say hello and thank you and that's it. We got along just fine.
Honestly, I think your kids will absolutely love it. There's so much to do, see and eat - Hopefully your kids aren't picky eaters and are open to trying out different food.
Slight word of warning concerning Disney - we got on 5 rides the whole day because we weren't prepared to queue for over 2 hours to ride the best rides a second time. But again, don't sweat it (unintentional humidity related pun) - do what you can at your own pace and you'll have fun.

My advice based on my first visit would be:

1) Go with a plan but be prepared to be flexible.
2) Don't sweat the language barrier or cultural barrier because I think both get overstated.
3) Try to stay in a ryokan somewhere along the way - your kids will love it.
4) Perhaps include a night on Miyajima on your way down to Kyoto - you can also take in an afternoon in Hiroshima which I'd recommend as being both educational and also quite emotionally stirring.

In case anyone is interested (I posted these way earlier in the thread) - here is a link to my photos from our last visit:

Japan2016

Have a great trip!!!

hwalker84

I travelled with my 11 year old last summer and we're going again this coming summer. Last time we did 2 weeks split between Tokyo, Kyoto and Miyajima and this time we're doing 4 nights Tokyo and 10 in Hokkaido.

If you're travelling in summer as I did, the only thing to consider is the humidity. It's pretty bad although I'd say from my own experience, it's no worse than Orlando in August.

Also, to counter the post a few on from yours, travel at your own pace - you don't have to be on the go from 9am to 10pm if that's not your thing. In fact, I find that kids often appreciate a little downtime to recharge their batteries otherwise they can get tetchy.

Language wise, I could say hello and thank you and that's it. We got along just fine.
Honestly, I think your kids will absolutely love it. There's so much to do, see and eat - Hopefully your kids aren't picky eaters and are open to trying out different food.
Slight word of warning concerning Disney - we got on 5 rides the whole day because we weren't prepared to queue for over 2 hours to ride the best rides a second time. But again, don't sweat it (unintentional humidity related pun) - do what you can at your own pace and you'll have fun.

My advice based on my first visit would be:

1) Go with a plan but be prepared to be flexible.
2) Don't sweat the language barrier or cultural barrier because I think both get overstated.
3) Try to stay in a ryokan somewhere along the way - your kids will love it.
4) Perhaps include a night on Miyajima on your way down to Kyoto - you can also take in an afternoon in Hiroshima which I'd recommend as being both educational and also quite emotionally stirring.

In case anyone is interested (I posted these way earlier in the thread) - here is a link to my photos from our last visit:

Japan2016

Have a great trip!!!

Added your pictures to the OP

havokex

Planning a 3 week trip to Japan with a couple of friends near the beginning of September and here's what we're thinking so far:

Tokyo - 1 week or more (mount fuji climb if possible included)
Kyoto - 4-5 days
Osaka - 3-4 days
Kobe - 1-2 days
Hiroshima - 2-3 days

Do you guys think that's enough days in each city or is there too much in some but not enough in others?

Planning a 3 week trip to Japan with a couple of friends near the beginning of September and here's what we're thinking so far:

Tokyo - 1 week or more (mount fuji climb if possible included)
Kyoto - 4-5 days
Osaka - 3-4 days
Kobe - 1-2 days
Hiroshima - 2-3 days

Do you guys think that's enough days in each city or is there too much in some but not enough in others?

Seems good. How early in September are you planning to go though? Mt. Fuji climbing season stops in mid-September. Last year it stopped September 10th.

Thanks. Lines? are they Disney level lines?

Can I get to Fuji Q via train? From Tokyo.

They can get to Disney levels yeah. We only did 3 of the 4 big costers when we were there because of the lines (and we also wanted to check out Evangelion World while there). It depends on how lucky you are with the crowds when you're going.

You should try to do Eejanaika and Dodonpa first and then Takabisha. Could save Fujiyama until last since it's the least thrilling.

And get that Fuji-Q Qpack. It's actually slightly faster (and cheaper, unless you got an JR pass or such that'll take you halfway there) to take the bus than the trains.

havokex

Seems good. How early in September are you planning to go though? Mt. Fuji climbing season stops in mid-September. Last year it stopped September 10th.

No firm date yet (we were thinking around the 8th initially) , but will keep in mind the closing date for Fuji from last year. Thanks!

So we'll be getting a JR pass, and I'll grab a SIM card from there somewhere.

Is there anything else we should consider?

Also has anyone has any experience or heard anything about Netmaru? We're considering staying there while in Tokyo.

$200 for the week is pretty hard to beat. The Airbnb I've been seeing are about $100/night

That's $200 per person for Netmaru. There's cheaper hostels at hostelworld, and what kind of stuff have you been searching for on AirBnB? How many people are you?

We rented an AirBnB in Tsukiji for 5 people for ~870 USD total for 10 days, so it was 174 USD each for the whole thing. So about 122 USD each for 7 days.

havokex

That's $200 per person for Netmaru. There's cheaper hostels at hostelworld, and what kind of stuff have you been searching for on AirBnB? How many people are you?

We rented an AirBnB in Tsukiji for 5 people for ~870 USD total for 10 days, so it was 174 USD each for the whole thing. So about 122 USD each for 7 days.

We're going to be 4. I just put in the dates and have been looking at the size of the places for the price. Some in our group are larger and seem like they would be uncomfortable in the cheaper listings, just going by pictures.

Hey guys, it's me, the dude who totally went to Japan last May and promised to share photos... haha... yeah...

Anyway, I'm going back again in 3 weeks for 2 weeks! It was a very last minute thing, found out like just over
a week ago, but a friend of mine is getting married and his fiancé told him to organise a guys trip somewhere to use some Flexi-plane tickets he'd been given as a gift, so I'm going with him and another friend of ours.

Already booked flights, insurance and a rail pass. Looks like it's Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto this time. I wanted to check out Hiroshima and some stuff further south because I did a very similar trip around Tokyo-Osaka-Kyoto last year, but these two haven't travelled to Japan before and are super keen for these cities.

My dates are 15th-29th of May, can't wait to go. I still need to organise accommodation with the guys for Osaka and Kyoto and buy some yen, but otherwise it's all been somewhat simple for such a last minute thing. Promise I'll take and share some pics this time! (I'll also dig up my pictures from last year... someone please hold me accountable, lol).

***Question***

I've had a look at the dates I'm going, but there's no major events or holidays during the period I'm going that may affect transportation or stores, is there? Just wondering if someone knows something I don't!

Edit: welp, the 3rd dude who said he was going to book his flights has now revealed he could never actually go. Looks like it'll be just me and the other dude, which is fine, but damn that's irritating. Wish people wouldn't lie, now I'm worried because this dude owes me money lol. Oh well.

Fei

Thanks so much - really appreciate the info! Sounds like it's doable, and we'll definitely slow it down based on the kids feedback. We've learned to plan one activity/area per day and anything extra is a bonus. That's part of the reason I wanted to go a little longer - have a few days to just relax around the place.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to look closer into whether Disney makes sense. Both the lines and the heat make me a little nervous, and it seems like there are a ton of amusements parks around the country. Might be smarter to divert to something calmer.

The ryokans sound like a blast. I might look around one of the lakes of Mt Fuji or Hiroshima/Miyajima. My kids aren't too picky with food, but I've been thinking about starting monthly trips to Japanese restaurants in my area to normalize everything to them.

Thanks again!

Sir Doom

Oh man I almost miss my transfer flight to Sasebo. Haneda airport is huge. At least those carts free

Also: Sprint international kicks ass. Right whent I got to. Haneda it changed to Softbank. Not bad for $5

Top Bottom