• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Run Time is 94 Minutes

GRW810

This is that first thing I've been worried by. The book series has way too much source material for 90 minutes. Even if the film is great, I'm concerned it won't feel epic because of the running time.

However, as I've said all along, I'll judge it when I see it.

Jkmetal

Banned
The books are basically Stephen kings lotr. Which I ve loved since highschool.

This sequel/new game + was the only option for making a film out of a series that was infamous for being the impossible film adaptation.

I m just glad to finally see Roland on the big screen, even if it's a let down to those in the know and a strange mess to new comers.

Dalek

The books are basically Stephen kings lotr. Which I ve loved since highschool.

This sequel/new game + was the only option for making a film out of a series that was infamous for being the impossible film adaptation.

I m just glad to finally see Roland on the big screen, even if it's a let down to those in the know and a strange mess to new comers.

To me this series is my most beloved IP. I read them all as they were released basically-I read 1&2 and then from there it was upon release. So as I grew up I read the books. I moved around a lot as well so I can vividly remember where I was when each book came out. They mean so much to me and it breaks my heart to think it's being thrown out to die like this.

There is literally nothing intrinsically good or bad about a specific runtime. Either they use the time to properly tell a story or they don't. Same as a 2 hour movie, a 3 hour movie, or a 5 minute short.

The first book is pretty short so it's not a big deal. Then again, the trailers don't look like they're basing too much off the first book so who knows.

ArmGunar

Just 94 min ?

I won't pay a ticket for a short movie like this
An animation movie is not a problem, but not a live action movie

Worth noting that this was already delayed for six months, and no trailer until less than three months before release is usually a very bad sign for a big-budget film with big-name stars. (There's probably a more recent example I'm forgetting, but Tim Burton's Dark Shadows comes to mind.)

MilkBeard

There is literally nothing intrinsically good or bad about a specific runtime. Either they use the time to properly tell a story or they don't. Same as a 2 hour movie, a 3 hour movie, or a 5 minute short.

I'm thinking more along these lines.

Also, I read the first book, thought it was mediocre, so most of that stuff they can cut and I wouldn't care.

Source? I can't find anything on this. Does Colombia even have the rights for other King stories?

The trailers for this movie have already shown easter eggs of the Overlook Hotel from The Shining and an abandoned sign in the woods that says Pennywise. The Dark Tower novels connect all of Stephen King's works as other worlds, so even the small nods in this film hint to a bigger connection with his films.

Seijuro

There is certainly positive things to be said about a movie that knows when it overstays it's welcome. Many action movies and comedies (they are the worst offenders the last few years) suffer from running for over 2 hours.

But I seriously doubt that it is this movie that is based on a series of long books
be it a sequel or not
I don't think the run time allows for good world building... but maybe we will be surprised.

cr0w

Old Member
If this was just an adaptation of The Gunslinger I think that would be great.

It's not, though.

It basically is though, with a few things from later books thrown in due to the story being told a little differently this time.

The movie has always been intended to be the Gunslinger of the movie series, not a one-and-done adaptation.

Number45

Labelling it a sequel just gives them the space they need to pick and choose what they want from the books - but it doesn't need to be a super long film to build a little back story (on the understanding that it will get fleshed out more if more films follow) introduce the key characters and play out to a climax of some description (
assuming a tête-à-tête with the Man in Black, albeit perhaps less peaceful than in the book
).

I've been wary from the trailers I've seen (though I saw a longer trailer at the cinema on Saturday and though it worked better than the shorter spots) but I love the casting of Idris Elba (and what that might mean for Roland's interactions with the rest of his group) and I love the source material. I'm going to give it every change when it releases.

The trailers for this movie have already shown easter eggs of the Overlook Hotel from The Shining and an abandoned sign in the woods that says Pennywise. The Dark Tower novels connect all of Stephen King's works as other worlds, so even the small nods in this film hint to a bigger connection with his films.

That's not a cinematic universe though...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The trailer looks so boring. I haven't read the books either. I think I will skip the movie in theaters unless it gets great reviews.

excowboy

This is how long films should be. I don't know the source material but if it is missing half an hour of artless exposition and things exploding, then that's a good thing!

Just trust us on this one.

If they make more movies, it starts to make sense.

Ok...

But for example you've got IT coming out soon, which is by a wholly different creative team and studio. There's no way that's connecting to this in a real way, outside of an easter egg in The Dark Tower to the story of IT.

So those won't be in the same cinematic universe.

Ashhong

Hmm I'm interested in reading the book now, is it generally considered to be good? If this is a sequel should I try to squeeze the book in before so I don't get spoiled?

If it's just the gunslinger that's more than enough time.

On the other hand, I have zero expectations for this and will now go back to pretending it doesn't exist for as long as possible.

E92 M3

Compelling cinema productions go by very fast. Hell, I wish GoT episodes were 3 hours long. 90 minutes is very short for an "epic" movie.

Busty

Banned
The '90s. It wasn't until LOTR that tentpole action movies felt comfortable stretching out well past two hours again.

(Ninety minutes is probably below average but most movies came in well under two hours.)

Based on this post I'm going to assume that you were very young in the nineties.

Like very, very young.

Meier

Anyone who thinks this is a good thing is being a bit naive at least as far as the quality is concerned. There's no way they went in to this expecting it to be less than 2 and a half hours. If the final product comes in at 90 minutes, that means they had to chop it to hell and back just to salvage something. It basically gives more credence to the fact that the movie is probably not going to be very good.

If the movie is good at 94 minutes, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

John Wick, as an example though, had the most basic story in action movie history and even that was 107.

So many people coming in the thread not bothering to read replies.

I can understand not knowing that this movie is not the entire series truncated. The title would suggest it and not everyone is going to read the trade articles that clarify that it isn't that.

But to come into the thread and not bother with so much as a glance at some the exchanges that explain that seems lazy.

No, the movie is not the whole series and was never planned to be the whole series.

Yes the movie is closer to "New Game +" and is said to contain elements from multiple books BUT the reason it contains elements from multiple books is BECAUSE it's "New Game +." Basically different decisions get made that result in things happening differently.

So maybe wait until the movie comes out before doomsaying?

I'm probably completely wrong but between the runtime and the ads totally dropping the kid, maybe they realized all the kid shit made it feel to y/a and cut all they could of him out. If it's just a focused mano-y-mano battle between The Gunslinger and The Man in Black then I still have hope it can be at least semi-entertaining. It's Sony though so the smart bet is on it being a giant pile of shit.

Weevilone

Hmm I'm interested in reading the book now, is it generally considered to be good? If this is a sequel should I try to squeeze the book in before so I don't get spoiled?

It's a lot of books, thousands of pages. It's great though, and well worth a read. I've read the wiki description of the movie a couple times and I'm still not totally clear whether reading just the early books would suffice or no.

Saw the trailer the other day and this looked so shitty. Even Mcnnogheuhgh (sp?) couldn't figure out how to act (literally); his lines were god awful.

Top Bottom