• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will feature BRAND NEW POKEMON

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, this is the first---we've gotten updated Formes and Mega Evolutions within the same Generation, but for the first time in franchise history we're getting atleast two completely new Pokemon in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon...

JolNg1r.jpg

The Ultra Beast known as "Burst" in US.

UIV3jFh.jpg

The Ultra Beast known as "Assembly" in UM.

Ultra Beast are semi-Legendary Pokemon introduced in Sun and Moon which are "creatures from another world", and boast strange designs and unusual Type Combinations.

We can also gleam from the Trailer that the Alola Dex is expanded, as Rockruff is now #126 instead of #103, and Mantine may be a Ride Pokemon as it's seen with a ride harness.

With one of the "rules" of Third Versions being broken, how many other brand New Pokemon are hidden within this game?

I'm really curious about this. I sincerely hope we see 20-50 new Pokemon plus a handful of Alola forms. Surely Game Freak can't be crazy enough to add Brand New Pokemon but only add Legendaries, right?

Well, this is the first---we've gotten updated Formes and Mega Evolutions within the same Generation, but for the first time in franchise history we're getting atleast two completely new Pokemon in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon...

The heck does this even mean?

"Yay! We get three new Pokemon in a new Pokemon game!"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh, and in case you're wondering, the all-caps thread title isn't sarcasm---I'm legitimately excited about this.

I've been hard on USUM recently, but this trailer gave me hope the game is going to take far more risks than the dryness of information so far suggested---like at first I was like "oh boring formes we've seen, orange dog, new little areas...and then THIS hit, and I was like, shit, they're breaking all the rules!"

It's a good thing I waited to cover Generation VII when USUM hit now.

The games can be divided into "Generations", which run on the same hardware and have the same basic system...

Red, Blue, Yellow was Gen I
Gold and Silver was Gen II
X and Y and ORAS were Gen VI
And Sun, Moon, and now USUM are Gen VII

Typically, at the beginning of the Generation all the new Pokemon are released or hidden in the code. In Generation III we started getting new "formes" of Pokemon that weren't in the initial games' code, with a new form of Deoxys in Emerald that wasn't in the data for Ruby and Sapphire.

In Gen VI with Mega Pokemon we had new ones appearing in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire that weren't in XY, but they were more or less alternate forms of pre-existing Pokemon---they were still considered the "same Pokemon", just an alternate form of it.

These are the first two Pokemon introduced within the same Generation that are presumably unrelated to any pre-existing Pokemon and thus will have their own number, taking the known number of Pokemon from 802 to 802---we've never seen this before. Even Mew, taking 150 to 151, was still within the code of Red and Blue.

Mr-Joker

Banned
See I told you that Ultra Sun and Moon would be a third version with a twist and I was freaking right.

"Nothing new" my arse

Regiruler

Assembly shot up to my top 20 favorites.

Why couldn't this be a DLC update to Sun/Moon. The lack of new content is incredibly obvious. Only Pokemon and games riffing it can pull it anymore.

I guess what it means is we are getting new stand alone Pokémon for the first time outside of a first installment of a new generation.
Platinum didn't get any, Emerald didn't, BW2 didn't, remakes didn't.
This is the first time we are getting new Pokémon in the third version of a game basically

Aleh

And people were saying these games were gonna be carbon copies of Sun and Moon. We're freaking getting new Pokémon, wow.

Ydelnae

I would have rather have had more effort put behind the entire concept of these two versions than two new UB, which will be likely tossed to the end game like some irrelevant addition.

At least these are not event based!

Neku89

Well I sure hope they'll patch S/M to support the new Pokémon. XY <-> ORAS compatibility was already a pain in the ass.

PsionBolt

Most Pokemon games do not add new Pokemon. When folks talk about Pokemon "generations", they're referring to the times when large numbers of new Pokemon were added. There are like fifty bajillion games now, but we're only on the 7th generation -- and this will be the first time that new Pokemon were added in small numbers in the middle of a generation.
I like the Clown one. I bet Assembly is a rock type.

Could be, but you never know! UBs can have pretty weird types. Would anyone look at Nihilego and guess Rock-type, or look at Kartana and guess Grass? I wouldn't, at least.

Trey

This is the first time a new Pokemon has been added to a new version of the games.

Isn't this like giratina coming with platinum in Gen 4, or rayquaza coming with emerald in gen 3? Or were both of those Pokemon available in the first editions of their respective generations?

Berordn

Isn't this like giratina coming with platinum in Gen 4, or rayquaza coming with emerald in gen 3? Or were both of those Pokemon available in the first editions of their respective generations?

They were there before. Rayquaza was always in Gen 3 and Giratina only had a new form added in Platinum, they were otherwise available.

Andrefpvs

They were already available.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My mind is blown. Now that mid-gen new mons are a thing, the consequences will never be the same.

Li Kao

Ok I didn't follow the game too closely, so can somebody enlighten me here : are we talking about a remake with added content or a sequel ? Is there a new plot ?

Andrefpvs

Some fans are speculating that UB Assembly is a nod towards Missingno (blocky body, eye in the middle of body).

Which is a pretty far-fetched theory, but still fun to think about.

Dunkley

I guess that's one way to gate the meta to be limited to the most recent version.

Makes sense since unlike OR/AS they don't have any new Mega Evolutions to lock Sun/Moon player out with like X/Y players were.

Crayolan

I'd be surprised if there are any new non-UBs, but I could see new forms of old pokemon (such as new Alolan forms) being a thing.

I wouldn't read into the shifted dex numbers though, obviously there will be a new regional dex, there always is.

brinstar

Ok I didn't follow the game too closely, so can somebody enlighten me here : are we talking about a remake with added content or a sequel ? Is there a new plot ?

Remake with added content, similar to Emerald, Platinum, etc. Necrozma is involved in the plot this time.

I know for an absolute fact I saw the names UB Assembly and UB Burst in a /vp/ leak last month. I'm just hoping somebody saved it and reposts it.

oh shit...

They were already in the games. Girantina and Rayquaza are more comparable to Necrozma in sunmoon, where it was I'm the original games, but didn't have much plot significance until the updated rerelease.

I haven't exactly been paying the utmost attention to these games, but is this more of a "definitive version" of Sun/Moon ala Platinum, Emerald, etc., or is it a story sequel ala White and Black 2, where it's recommended you play the original ones first?

Layell

Even this news makes me feel so unenthusiastic about this game. I was quite hyped for Sun and Moon and thought they were great games. This however looks to be the worst type of retread when BW2 managed to avoid stepping on the first game. New Pokemon in this game just seem like an excuse to have competitive players buy the new games to play in the new tournaments.

PsionBolt

I haven't exactly been paying the utmost attention to these games, but is this more of a "definitive version" of Sun/Moon ala Platinum, Emerald, etc., or is it a story sequel ala White and Black 2, where it's recommended you play the original ones first?

Story details have not been made 100% clear, but the better bet is "definitive version", based on what we know.
For example, the protagonists are the same people with updated designs (like when they do 3rd versions) and not new characters (like when they do sequels).

Berordn

It seems like it has more in common with the third versions than the sequels, but the story going in a completely different direction than Sun/Moon might not make it a complete replacement.

Top Bottom