• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Software Murdered At Toys R Us (Massacre Pix Included)

I thought I'd never see the day where this happened, but it did. I've been meaning to share this to you guys for a while but could never get to uploading the pix. Well I have them now.

On Wednesday, November 21 at a Toys R Us in San Antonio, TX (last day of TRU's B2G1 Free Sale), something totally unexpected happened...

astrafamandmore120.jpg

astrafamandmore122.jpg

All those Wii game cases you see backwards? Those are dummy cases that are turned around, meaning that the game sold out. Also, for the games out in the aisle, if it's not in the plastic security case, it's also sold out. That's right, ALL those games. Toys R Us almost completely sold out of their stock, a store that generally has hundreds of games.

There were so few games, I was able to count the leftovers without losing count. Only 26 games were left (most were shovelware, except for 2 copies of the Godfather: Blackhand Edition, 1 copy of Zack and Wiki and 1 copy of Ghost Squad, all visible in the pix provided).

Also of note...those Wii versions of Guitar Hero III...which TRU had about 30 boxes of them? Gone.

Looks like 3rd parties can't be complaining anymore!

Evlar

Banned
Yeah, well, I bet they still sold more first party games. Third parties on Wii aren't viable into they can each individually outsell Nintendo.

Pellham

Banned
wow that's pretty crazy

but I somehow think i'll still be able to procure the 2 or 3 wii games that I still want before the end of the year, be it online or from some obscure gamestop.

Tristam

Pellham said:
wow that's pretty crazy

but I somehow think i'll still be able to procure the 2 or 3 wii games that I still want before the end of the year, be it online or from some obscure gamestop.

Oh of course. I'm pretty sure this is quite the anomaly, although it's still impressive.

Pellham

Banned
darkressurection said:
All those kids who will get Rampage and Ninjabread Man instead of Galaxy :(

:lol reminds me of the time when i was a kid, and i got freakin Home Alone 2 for christmas. Home Alone 2. (that's a really shitty NES game, btw)

Teknoman

OH THE HUMANITY!

Seriously though, wtf is up with the big influx of Wii games flying off shelves in Toys R Us? The buy two get one free sale was nice and all, but not THAT nice warranting people buy out the whole damn store. I couldnt even get my Fire Emblem + Lego Star Wars = Ghost Squad free deal...Lucky I purchased Mario Galaxy at release.

Also a kid getting Rampage is nothing compared to a mom going out of her way to ask for Chicken Shoot (seriously) at the recent Best Buy black friday sales. That kid is going to have to put on one hell of a fake expression on christmas day...

ant1532 said:
What about the other systems' games?

I should have taken a comparison picture, but there were no stocking issues for the other systems. You could pretty much find whatever you wanted on the other systems.

Eric P

Pellham said:
:lol reminds me of the time when i was a kid, and i got freakin Home Alone 2 for christmas. Home Alone 2. (that's a really shitty NES game, btw)

i got a psx and blasto

:(

Pellham

Banned
Ohhh, it was that buy 2 get 1 free sale wasn't it. Yeah that happens to every console that it happens to at TRU's. I remember doing it when it had it for PS2 games, there was nothing but crap left so I didn't even bother.

Just to let you guys know, the day I took those pix was also the last day of the B2G1 free sale was also the first day Ghost Squad was available, they had like 6 copies on sale. I took that pic at the end of the day, and as you can see, only 1 copy remained.

exarkun

Im not real picky about my games, I kinda enjoyed transformers the game, but even then, when I went to go buy games for my Wii I just sort of shuffled through movie, book, and comic book tie in games. Do kids just enjoy terrible games? Im not against 3rd parties making money on the Wii but a lot of its junk. Feel bad for the kid having to play Balls of Fury on Christmas day.

Joe Molotov

MiketheBSG said:
Just to let you guys know, the day I took those pix was also the last day of the B2G1 free sale was also the first day Ghost Squad was available, they had like 6 copies on sale. I took that pic at the end of the day, and as you can see, only 1 copy remained.

I bought Ghost Squad yesterday at Gamestop and it was their last copy. I wonder if it's selling well.

Spokeys

I'm loving how not even one single copy of that Legend of the Dragon game was even sold. You would think some poor kid would get that for Christmas.

Tristam

exarkun said:
Im not real picky about my games, I kinda enjoyed transformers the game, but even then, when I went to go buy games for my Wii I just sort of shuffled through movie, book, and comic book tie in games. Do kids just enjoy terrible games? Im not against 3rd parties making money on the Wii but a lot of its junk. Feel bad for the kid having to play Balls of Fury on Christmas day.

When it's something as bad as Chicken Shoot or Balls of Fury, I usually make some remark. Seriously, they're like downgraded versions of free Flash games with even worse controls at premium prices. I know I would've been bummed out as a kid.

I started picking out my own games by the time I was nine, but I was pretty fortunate before that. I remember my mom, who hasn't played any game outside of Tetris, bought me Secret of Mana for my seventh birthday. That was so fucking awesome. I never remember having picky tastes in games as a kid, but in hindsight I almost exclusively played incredible games. My old Super NES collection is like a greatest hits compilation from the best that Nintendo, Square, Konami, and Capcom had to offer. The only game we purchased that I can ever remember disliking was Jurassic Park.

B-Ri

TRU has shitty selection by my house, thats what it looks like for all consoles at all times.

the B2G1F deal continued to prove its horridness.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
MiketheBSG said:
I thought I'd never see the day where this happened, but it did. I've been meaning to share this to you guys for a while but could never get to uploading the pix. Well I have them now.

On Wednesday, November 21 at a Toys R Us in San Antonio, TX (last day of TRU's B2G1 Free Sale), something totally unexpected happened...

astrafamandmore120.jpg

astrafamandmore122.jpg

All those Wii game cases you see backwards? Those are dummy cases that are turned around, meaning that the game sold out. Also, for the games out in the aisle, if it's not in the plastic security case, it's also sold out. That's right, ALL those games. Toys R Us almost completely sold out of their stock, a store that generally has hundreds of games.

There were so few games, I was able to count the leftovers without losing count. Only 26 games were left (most were shovelware, except for 2 copies of the Godfather: Blackhand Edition, 1 copy of Zack and Wiki and 1 copy of Ghost Squad, all visible in the pix provided).

Also of note...those Wii versions of Guitar Hero III...which TRU had about 30 boxes of them? Gone.

Looks like 3rd parties can't be complaining anymore!
Cool, thanks. But next time, could you take time-lapse photography of this? I think that would have a lot more impact.

justchris

Buy that copy of Zack & Wiki and give it as a gift to someone who doesn't know better. You'll be their best friend forever. Maybe give it to a girl you kinda like. When she asks you to come over and help her figure out some of the puzzles, it's a guaranteed lay. DO IT.

Bildi

Grecco said:
Fuck Advertise your shit Capcom. Even in a picture like this, Zack and Wiki still doesnt sell
Goddamit! It's sad and funny at the same time. So I've invented this emoticon:

:(:

Jasoco

Banned
Pellham said:
I got Home Alone 1. 2 was at least playable. 1 was just impossible.

Innotech

Banned
justchris said:
Buy that copy of Zack & Wiki and give it as a gift to someone who doesn't know better. You'll be their best friend forever. Maybe give it to a girl you kinda like. When she asks you to come over and help her figure out some of the puzzles, it's a guaranteed lay. DO IT.
thats actually not a bad idea.

So much shovelware selling. :/
I just stared in amazement at the masses of shit on the shelf when I was in Best Buy tonight. There were shit games I had never even heard of, and I browse here everyday.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Rezbit said:
:lol :lol
And you think I'm joking. We need to go the extra mile, people. This is NeoGAF!

tanod

when is my burrito
If you thought the drought was bad before. Say goodbye to anything coming out for Wii in any month that isn't November or December.

tanod said:
If you thought the drought was bad before. Say goodbye to anything coming out for Wii in any month that isn't November or December.
They have Mario Kart and Wii Fit to cover the first half of 2008. I anticipate the delayaton of Brawl to Fall 08 though, especially if GTA IV is also delayed to the fall.

papelnabangka said:
They have Mario Kart and Wii Fit to cover the first half of 2008. I anticipate the delayaton of Brawl to Fall 08 though, especially if GTA IV is also delayed to the fall.
Don't even say that. :(

B-Ri

PantherLotus said:
spin it, baby!

The TRU by my house is horrible.

I was turned around from my SMG preorder 5 times.

I went the wednesday morning to be turned around and say they did not hav eit and wouldnt get it till thursday.

i get home 10 minutes later to get a call that they OOPS! they Did have it.

whoever runs R-Zone at my home blows. Its not spin, its me putting my 2 cents on my TRU experience.

Stop playing fanboy wars and piss off.

rs7k

There are no Wii games at my local FUtureshop. I meant to post something like this, but it's crazy to think it's happening everywhere.

Wii future confirmed :lol

Top Bottom