• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

MacBosse said:
This looks so nice on the Consoles as well ... Can't wrap my head around the awesome graphics at display. Really gets me wondering about next gen ... oh lord.

Well after putting some time in with the PS3 demo, I do have to agree, it holds up pretty damn well, but there are an awful lot of settings that you can push past console quality in the PC version, usually without affecting the framerate too much. I'd say this summation of the equivalent PC settings to the PS3 version is pretty damn accurate:

Texture quality: High
Resolution: 720p
AA: 2x msaa
AF: 0x/2x
Soft Particles: Off
Shadows: Medium
High Res shadows: Off
Object Detail: Low
Water detail: ~Medium
Point light specular: Off
Enhanced water: Off
Bokeh Filter: Off
SSAA: Off
Motion Blur: Off
Decals: On
Framerate cap @ 30fps + triple buffering

If you're having performance issues with the PC version its worth trying out those settings since so many seem please with that level of quality. Most of the changes are pretty standard for multiplatform games these days, though I was surprised that the PS3 version didn't support soft particles, it definitely takes away from the explosions. Apart from the lack of soft particles, the lower quality shadows and the "object detail" setting are probably the easiest differences to notice. Still, pretty decent all things told, especially since the framerate holds up so well.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I too had to tweak my settings in the retail copy before getting a great frame rate. The PC demo ran great, but the areas with skyscrapers really dipped for me until I turned a few settings down.

Probably going to have to tweak it a bit more tonight.

This game is a blast.

Salaadin said:
BTW, I think someone else here with a similar setup to mine (i5 750, HD5850) was also having the goofy framrate drops.

I have my settins at 2xAA, 4xAF, Vsync off, and SSAO off. Everything else is set to max. Im using D3Doverrider to enable Vsync and triple buffering and Im getting a solid 60FPS now. I havent seen it dip below 50FPS yet after 2 hours of play.

Maybe there will be new Catalyst drivers or a hotfix to help us out but until then, this seems to be working nicely.

Ehh, how many times do I need to explain this? The "goofy framerate" you were receiving before was just the normal behaviour you get by enabling standard double buffer vsync. Its suppose to drop down to 30fps whenever it can't hit 60fps, that's how it works. There'll be no fix as there was no issue, and damn near every other PC game on the market works the same way. If you don't like tearing and don't want constant hitching between 30fps and 60fps in most of your games then D3DOverrider is the only solution and it'll fix this "problem" in damn enar every game you play.

You have the option to cpa the framerate at 30fps as well of course, but even then using triple buffering would make sense as if the game ever does drop frames it won't shoot down to 20fps straight away. Infact that's precisely how the PS3 version is set up, a 30fps cap + triple buffering and it works really well.

ashism

Holy crap, stuck on the last 4% of AWAN power station. I am going to lose it if i spend another 15 minutes trying to find the last thing to blow up.

ashism said:
Holy crap, stuck on the last 4% of AWAN power station. I am going to lose it if i spend another 15 minutes trying to find the last thing to blow up.

I feel your pain.

I'm stuck in a similar situation...ocd rage rising

UFRA

betweenthewheels said:
I feel your pain.

I'm stuck in a similar situation...ocd rage rising

:lol :lol

It seems that every time I discover a new city/village I have to complete it 100%.

I've been sidetracked so many times now it's unbelievable. :lol

ashism said:

Check for all generators, fuel tanks and SAMs. Otherwise, parachute around the area until the item icon on your PDA starts flashing.

Just Cause 2 PC Mini Tweak Guide:

There are a lot of settings in Just cause 2 and initially it can be difficult to figure out which ones are best left disable if you feel you could do with some extra performance. Below I have listed a set of tweaks that I recommend performing one at a time (in order) until you reach a level of performance you're happy with. The PC version of Just Cause 2 is really well optimised and will actually run really well on hardware as modest as a 2ghz Core 2 Duo + 8600GT + 2GB RAM while still boasting some really nice graphics but it does have a number of advanced settings which can bog down performance on lower end systems.

Turn off the Nvidia exclusive effects: Bokeh filter and especially enhanced water can have a devastating effect on your framerate and their quality benefit is questionable. Enhanced water does look nice but sadly it seems to chop around a 1/3 off most people's framerates at all times, even when there's no water on screen at all. Probably only worth it for GTX 295, 470 and 480 users.

Use D3DOverrider to enable triple buffering: If you're not a fan of tearing then this is just a no brainer. You will get hitching in busy scenarios otherwise, even on very powerful hardware. This advice can be used for any number of PC games as well. Details on how to do this are here.

Disable SSAO: Its a nice effect and all but it does eat performance and the overall effect is pretty subtle. If you want some extra performance, this is one of the first things you should consider turning off. If you do like the effect then I'd recommend just using the "low" setting, higher settings will cost more performance but even at low quality the SSAO implementation works well. Fwiw, the console versions don't support SSAO at all.

Set object detail to medium/low: By default the consoles only have this set at low and yet very few people have complained about the popin as its masked by the depth of field very well. You'll probably only really notice the benefits of the "high" setting when base jumping so setting this to medium is a nice way to get back some performance

Set shadows to medium but leave "high res shadows" selected: This will produce some very nice shadows but the performance impact won't be so great. What you lose is the soft shadowing effect which softens shadow edges with a sort of dithering pattern. Personally, I think it looks really good but it does come with a pretty harsh performance penalty and I know for a fact some won't find the resultant effect desirable. If you're on a very low end system (say a 9600GT or below) you may want to disable high res shadows as well.

Set AA to 2Xmsaa: Due to the heavy use of depth of field and low colour contrast present in most scenes, you'll start to see seriously diminishing returns past the 2xmsaa setting so this is a great way to claw back an awful lot of performance.

Consider using a 30fps cap: Honestly, I personally don't feel like this is a game that demands a locked 60fps, especially if you're playing on a pad, so the option to lock the framerate at 30fps is well worth considering. Follow the "commandline customisation" link in the op for details of how to do this.

Consider using a lower resolution and enabling GPU scaling in your drivers: As the texture detail in this game isn't very high at all, the benefits from higher resolutions aren't quite as high as they are in some other games. So dropping down the resolution and letting your GPU scale the image won't have the dramatic effect on the visuals as it might in other games.

If you're still having difficulty maintaining a decent framerate then consider using similar settings to the console versions. Details on the equivalent PC settings are listed in this post.

Pandoracell said:
Are you asking how items are added to the black market?

Yes I am, I have all the standard "black slate colored" vehicles that seem to be available from the start but I've yet to receive any new vehicles. Not sure what the deal is there...

GeoramA

The Interrobanger said:
Check for all generators, fuel tanks and SAMs. Otherwise, parachute around the area until the item icon on your PDA starts flashing.
I finally figured this out after taking over 7 areas. Could've saved me lots of time earlier on.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes I am, I have all the standard "black slate colored" vehicles that seem to be available from the start but I've yet to receive any new vehicles. Not sure what the deal is there...
Those are the only vehicles you can buy...

MidnightRider said:
I love how the LOST island is on this game.

that's fucking awesome.

It was 3am this morning, I was baked, and searching that island through the rain and storm was goddamned trippy. Then I found
the hatch.

Best game ever.

Salaadin said:
Anyone know why FRAPs kills my framerate? It doesnt matter if Im getting 80FPS or 40FPS....it dips to 20 the moment FRAPs starts recording. The only thing I havent tried is bumping down the game resolution. FRAPs is set to record at half size and 29.97 FPS.

You can setup the framerate at which FRAPS records, probably best setting it at 30fps, and to record onto a separate HDD.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OMG I have to find the Lost island, that's amazing.
Lost + Just Cause 2 = best thing ever. I need to get the fuck out of work so I can get back to this glorious game.

RotBot

ashism said:
If this is the power station that you take over for the Ular Boys stronghold, there's a small destructable behind the first building on the right from the entrance gate at the start of the mission. That was the one that took me forever to find.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CloakedPuppet said:
I can't over-stress just how much fun this game is. I can't see how this won't be on my top 10 for the year.

For sure.

As crazy as it might sound it's probably my GOTY so far, even after Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, God of War 3 etc...as great as all of those games are, none of them even come close to being as fun as Just Cause 2. The amount of freedom it gives you to improvise and do badass and crazy stuff is just ridiculous, it really is the ultimate sandbox game. I've only put about 8 hours into it so far but I've spent at least 7 of those hours with a big grin on my face.
<3

I'd love to see a quality post-mortem and a "making of" for this game.

It really feels like they just kept adding "the fun" to the sandbox and just iterating on that until they had something in a releasable state. If so, cheers to them. They've done real damn good work here.

And its damn gorgeous at times. No other games this gen have any excuse for not looking at least as good.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Interrobanger said:

I'm pretty sure that SAM sites don't count into a place's completion percentage.

squicken

I can see how people love it, but to me, this game has so many of the first game's faults. It's not fun to shoot the guns, but that is the most obvious and direct way of dealing with enemies. The missions are bland. Really, the studio needs to think about the current makeup of its design team.

You have to go out of your way to unlock the fun. In Crackdown and Saints Row, you don't work for the crazy stuff. The designers knew their shit in those games. It's hard to love a game like JC2 where not doing missions is the best way to play the game. It's just a sandbox. A game made to play in 10 minute spurts and best shown on 90 second Youtube clips.

Snuggler said:
For sure.

As crazy as it might sound it's probably my GOTY so far, even after Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, God of War 3 etc...as great as all of those games are, none of them even come close to being as fun as Just Cause 2. The amount of freedom it gives you to improvise and do badass and crazy stuff is just ridiculous, it really is the ultimate sandbox game. I've only put about 8 hours into it so far but I've spent at least 7 of those hours with a big grin on my face.
<3

Yep. It's just plain ol' fun. It almost takes you back to the feeling you had as a kid playing with toys. This is one of those "wish I could go back in time with this" type of games. :lol

squicken said:
I can see how people love it, but to me, this game has so many of the first game's faults. It's not fun to shoot the guns, but that is the most obvious and direct way of dealing with enemies.
I'm actually surprised how well the shooting works. Its a dramatic improvement over the original too (along with everything else).

I can only think of Borderlands as another open world game on the consoles that has better shooting. And as opposed to Mercenaries 2 and its wildly inaccurate guns, you actually hit what you aim at in JC2.

The Uncharted level of damage bad guys can soak up short of headshots can feel out of place most of the time though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I like the shooting.
It isn't great or anything and the enemies take soak up too much damage, but it's still fun for me. It also helps that I play it like I'm spiderman and use my hook for most of the combat, it's quite sastifying to flip a vehicle or throw a bad guy off of a skyscraper.

You have to go out of your way to unlock the fun.

I guess I feel differently about that, I had a lot of fun just playing with the grappling hook and parachute in the demo. I'm slowly working my way through various missions but I've spend most of my time just fucking around, I don't feel like I need to unlock anything to enjoy that.

Sanic

Yeah, as far as design issues go I agree that it's not fun to shoot anything at all. The enemies are like a sponge, and their physics leave a lot to be desired. They flop up in the air when killed.

The AI as well...it's not fun to fight enemies or mess with civilians. The civies run around for 5 seconds and croutch down...and it's hard to explain, but they don't feel alive....they have no weight.

I'm finding the actual missions to be acceptable so far, much better than the first game. Nothing amazing so far, but good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, terrorizing civilians isn't as fun as it should be, that's one of my few complaints so far.
Aside from attaching them to vehicles and dragging them or whatever there isn't much to do with them. It would have been amazing if it had the Euphoria engine from GTA4, that would make civilian genocide a lot more enjoyable.

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
brain_stew said:
Hmm, I could give a quick rundown on how the settings affect quality/performance if there's enough demand for it and its wanted as part of the op?

Thank you for this post. I'm getting 25-30fps with most of these settings turned up, but was having a hard time determining what would be best to turn down.

brain_stew said:
Hmm, I could give a quick rundown on how the settings affect quality/performance if there's enough demand for it and its wanted as part of the op?

Just quickly, I'd recommend trying these tweaks out first if you want some extra performance but don't want to make things look ugly:

Turn off the Nvidia exclusive effects: Point light specular, bokeh filter and especially enhanced water can have a devastating effect on your framerate and their quality benefit is questionable. Enhanced water does look nice but sadly it seems to chop around a 1/3 off most people's framerates at all times, even when there's no water on screen at all. Probably only worth it for GTX 295, 470 and 480 users.

Set object detail to medium: By default the consoles only have this set at low and yet very few people have complained about the popin as its masked by the depth of field very well.

Set shadows to medium but leave "high res shadows" selected: This will produce some very nice shadows but the performance impact won't be so great. What you lose is the soft shadowing effect which softens shadow edges with a sort of dithering pattern. Personally, I think it looks really good but it does come with a pretty harsh performance penalty and I know for a fact some won't find the resultant effect desirable.

Consider using a 30fps cap: Honestly, I personally don't feel like this is a game that demands a locked 60fps, especially if you're playing on a pad, so the option to lock the framerate at 30fps is well worth considering. Follow the "commandline customisation" link in the op for details of how to do this.

Disable SSAO: Its a nice effect and all but it does eat performance and the overall effect is pretty subtle. If you wnat some extra performance, this is one of the first things you should consider turning off. Fwiw, the console versions don't support SSAO at all.

Use D3DOverrider to enable triple buffering: If you're not a fan of tearing then this is just a no brainer. You will get hitching in busy scenarios otherwise, even on very powerful hardware. This advice can be used for any number of PC games as well.

Thanks for all this. I was wondering how does the performace compare to the demo. What settings do you recommend to get a solid 60 fps? (5870 i7 920)

The Interrobanger said:
Those are the only vehicles you can buy...

Ahh, because in the demo I'm pretty sure there were different vehicles listed, and once gibbed modded it to allow use of every vehicle I just assumed you could get more. Makes sense that those are the only ones.

disappeared said:
Then I found
the hatch.

What's this you speak of?

Kabuki Waq said:
Thanks for all this. I was wondering how does the performace compare to the demo. What settings do you recommend to get a solid 60 fps? (5870 i7 920)

With a 5870 just ramp everything upto max, enable triple buffering and start using the above mentioned tweaks one by one until you get rid of most of your framerate drops. Dropping down the level of MSAA will help a great deal as well of course.

Kryten

Before I go an commit to buying a new LCD because of this, can anyone else confirm (positive/negative is fine) that there's issues with JC2's resolution when connected via the VGA adapter to a 16x10 screen?

I've had this problem with Tomb Raider Anniversary (as it turns out) but now that I've gotten a Jasper, upgrading my LCD is probably a decent solution.

ashism

RotBot said:
If this is the power station that you take over for the Ular Boys stronghold, there's a small destructable behind the first building on the right from the entrance gate at the start of the mission. That was the one that took me forever to find.
Got that one. I got all the upgrade items too. I can't figure out what this last place could be.
Got the antenna towers. Got the generators. Got the items.
SAM sites wont blow up. I cant figure out what to do next.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I really wish there was some way to get infinite ammo in this game. There's never enough for any gun. Hell, a way to buy ammo would be nice but you have to rebuy the whole gun.. wat

The game feels a little off in regards to the balance between enemies and the player. There's too many of them and they take too many bullets. Also limited regen is good for a game like Riddick (only other game I can think of like this at the moment) where you don't run into a huge amount of enemies and usually kill them stealthily with your hands/blade, but a game like this?

Saints Row 2 had both unlockable infinite ammo (+ weapons you could store and retrieve after buying them...) and quick, fully regenerating health, and wasn't too easy. With the amount of enemies in this game I think it would be the same way.

Still having the most fun I've had this year with this game, but fixing these things would heavily improve it!

I've updated my mini tweak guide a little now, its pretty comprehensive now and a great place to start for anyone that needs to claw back some performance:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20453907&postcount=1014

Aigis said:
I really wish there was some way to get infinite ammo in this game. There's never enough for any gun. Hell, a way to buy ammo would be nice but you have to rebuy the whole gun.. wat

The game feels a little off in regards to the balance between enemies and the player. There's too many of them and they take too many bullets. Also limited regen is good for a game like Riddick (only other game I can think of like this at the moment) where you don't run into a huge amount of enemies and usually kill them stealthily with your hands/blade, but a game like this?

Saints Row 2 had both unlockable infinite ammo (+ weapons you could store and retrieve after buying them...) and quick, fully regenerating health, and wasn't too easy. With the amount of enemies in this game I think it would be the same way.

Still having the most fun I've had this year with this game, but fixing these things would heavily improve it!

I take it you're not playing on the PC? The BOLO Patch lets you enable unlimited ammo if you are.

pr0cs

ashism said:
SAM sites wont blow up. I cant figure out what to do next.
eh?
They blow up real good but only with explosive type weapons.. ie: grenades and the like.

Some things simply can't be destroyed with basic weapons.

The generator near the entrance was the location i was looking for.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pandoracell said:
The lack of cheat codes is sad. Open world games (and games in general) are not the same without them, and I can't believe that it's so rapidly become a dying features these days. What was the last open world game with decent cheats, or cheats at all? Saints Row 2?

Yeah I wish they had some cheats. Saints Row 2 had cheats and they were awesome. You could do stuff like mess with gravity or make your character tiny or HUGE, it was great.

pr0cs said:
Some things simply can't be destroyed with basic weapons.
I've been learning this the hard way.

You know those HUGE, cement fuel silos or whatever the hell they are? They're at docks and the like. Gunfire does nothing, grenades didn't do anything either.

So when I managed to find myself piloting a fighter jet I decided I would have my revenge. I divebombed that jet straight into em, bailing out at the last second.

Didn't do a lick of damage to them.

Its now my goal in gaming to see those fuckers destroyed in the most epic way possible. Its nice to have goals ;P

elwes

I haven't sifted through all 21 pages of this thread, but has the quality of the PS3's video capture been addressed? I've seen some videos on youtube taken from the PS3 in-capture mode and they're in 480p and good quality. But when I did a test run, my (much shorter) video was crappy as hell. Watching it on youtube, I could barely see what was going on half the time.

Is there a way to tweak the settings so the quality isn't so terrible?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There aren't any tweaks. Mine have looked pretty decent.
I'm not that familiar with youtube, but I think it takes time for them to process, if you just uploaded them that could be the prob.

elwes

Yeah, the video said "processing" for awhile, but when the little processing message went away, a thumbnail for the video popped up and I could watch it. I just figured it was done.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
brain_stew said:
With a 5870 just ramp everything upto max, enable triple buffering and start using the above mentioned tweaks one by one until you get rid of most of your framerate drops. Dropping down the level of MSAA will help a great deal as well of course.

Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, 4870x2, 8GB DDR2, Win. 7 64-bit here and I am running the game at 1680x1050, maxed out details, 2xAA, 16xAF and hitting slightly over 60 fps in some places while dipping to mid-30's during extreme particle orgies. I refuse to drop any detail or go any lower in resolution (my native is 1920x1200).

Such a glorious and well-optimized engine.

Love this game.

Pimpbaa

Is the military broken in this game? I gain heat for doing absolutely nothing. They are way too aggressive and spawn out of no where.

Top Bottom