• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX Tricky DLC hinted for SSX 2012

7065244187_d18c59f31b_o.jpg

*Image courtesy of vix from www.merqurycity.com*

Community members from the SSX fansite MerquryCity.com have started receiving various SSX puzzle pieces in their emails. When they are put together you can see various things from previous SSX games such as colorful terrain, fireworks, and old costumes. In the above picture you can clearly see Elise's outfit from SSX Tricky. This appears to mean that some sort of old style SSX DLC is on the way!

The Mt. Rushmore faces lol. I love the old-school SSX cast as much as anyone but they have officially gone overboard with the character worship.

Regardless, SSX DLC is must-buy for me unless it is a complete mess. I love this game.

Split-screen head-to-head?

Yes, I know, it's not happening.

If only :(

soultron

Banned
Split-screen head-to-head?

Yes, I know, it's not happening.

You never know. The team has added lots of stuff in the latest patch that the community was hoping for. They fixed the deadzone issues with the Dualshock3, added "party chat" to the PS3 version (the PS3 version originally had no voice chat when it shipped), and it's been said that split screen is something they'd like to do in the future,

"It's something i'd like to add back into the game in the future," said Batty, who then confirmed that split-screen could feasibly appear in either a potential sequel (should they get to make one) or via a game update in the future.

It might not happen, but you can stay hopeful until proven wrong!

Hobbun

You never know. The team has added lots of stuff in the latest patch that the community was hoping for. They fixed the deadzone issues with the Dualshock3, added "party chat" to the PS3 version (the PS3 version originally had no voice chat when it shipped), and it's been said that split screen is something they'd like to do in the future,

I really hope it happens in the future. It’s the main reason that has kept me from purchasing the game. The most fun I’ve had with previous SSX games was going over to their house/coming over to mine and playing head-to-head with my friends.

soultron

Banned
It's been mentioned by the devs that the source code for Tricky+3 are apparently gone. :c On Tour was just rereleased on PSN/SEN though, apparently. So if you'd like HD versions, I'd say grab those to show your support.

There's apparently a lot of SSX DLC planned because the creative director was a huge fan of Criterion's "Year of Burnout" DLC for Paradise. Some of that was free too! c:

pargonta

.it does make sense..

since i dont own ssx 2012 but am interested in this... i'm reaching/

would love the shenanigans to come back!

vix

The lamposts make me wonder if it's a remake of merqury city or metro. A city track would be win.

90sRobots

Already has the song in it..... Unless you mean as actual boarders lol.

Does it incorporate "It's Tricky" (one of the finest works of art of all time) into the gameplay by playing it when the meter's full? That's what I want. Every other SSX game is inferior by comparison.

Bgamer90

Banned
An Old-School SSX DLC pack would be awesome.

Don't really care about having the old tracks back... it would be cool if they just made new tracks based on the style of the tracks in the old games.

soultron

Banned
The lamposts make me wonder if it's a remake of merqury city or metro. A city track would be win.

When we were at the studio for community day, we were asked if we'd like to see revisited tracks. :p Just like how BF3 did "Back To Karkand," we said, "Hey, why not do an enhanced 'Back To Tokyo Megaplex' run?"

One idea that was mentioned was snowed-out courses. We even joked about post-apocalyptic stuff. Haha. We all were serious about city tracks and a "greatest hits" sort of track DLC.

It's been mentioned by the devs that the source code for Tricky+3 are apparently gone. :c On Tour was just rereleased on PSN/SEN though, apparently. So if you'd like HD versions, I'd say grab those to show your support.

There's apparently a lot of SSX DLC planned because the creative director was a huge fan of Criterion's "Year of Burnout" DLC for Paradise. Some of that was free too! c:
Wait. They're going to model it after Burnout Paradise's Year of Burnout? Fuck yes. I'm not sure if it was the most profitable thing to do, but it kept me playing the game for the longest time.

soultron

Banned
Wait. They're going to model it after Burnout Paradise's Year of Burnout? Fuck yes. I'm not sure if it was the most profitable thing to do, but it kept me playing the game for the longest time.

Yeah. The team are huge fans of Criterion's work in a lot of ways. Todd Batty was the one who convinced EA top brass to retool the online pass in this game so that it was the least offensive option possible.

On top of that, they've done an excellent job of working with the community to integrate bug fixes they report and by adding in entire features (like the PS3 voice chat) so as to keep the community happy.

All around, they're great people who want to make a good game. My experience with the SSX devs makes me laugh at people who say EA is a terrible company. Sure, EA does some questionable stuff, but that doesn't mean the actual developers aren't passionate about their community and fight tooth-and-nail on their behalf.

Bgamer90

Banned
If the DLC coming to SSX will be similar to the DLC in Burnout Paradise, that would be amazing.

Burnout Paradise had amazing DLC post-release support. Burnout Paradise with the various updates and patches is basically a sequel to the game itself.

Socreges

Banned
"We made the call in the early days that we were making this game for the connected generation bringing SSX into the future," continues Batty, "and I know some people get upset when something in a game gets dropped."

Batty then referred to racing games as an example of why SSX doesn't need split-screen, saying "we looked at racing games - not that this is an excuse - and pure racing games don't even support split screen today. And racing is only a third of our game. You certainly don't need split screen for tricking or survive it."

"It's something i'd like to add back into the game in the future," said Batty, who then confirmed that split-screen could feasibly appear in either a potential sequel (should they get to make one) or via a game update in the future.
But I thought the "connected generation" was the future. So does this mean that in the future they'll be adding features to bring SSX... into the past?

Batty's bs marketing speak is eating itself.

I'll pick this up if they include split-screen in DLC, although I seriously doubt they'd go that route.

soultron

Banned
If the DLC coming SSX will be similar to the DLC in Burnout Paradise, that would be amazing.

Burnout Paradise had amazing DLC post-release support. The game with the updates and patches was basically a sequel to the game without it.

When we heard about this last summer, I did a takemymoney.jpg. The game already has so much content in it (although the more difficult stuff isn't for everyone) that I don't feel ripped off in the slightest paying for DLC.

They've already given some free DLC in the form of 2 characters anyway. Mt. Fuji is now free for everyone outside of NA too.

btkadams

yes! can't wait. i have figured ssx dlc would be an expansion, with the beginning of the new ssx tournament after the events of the newest game. that way they could have more traditional ssx tracks that some fans wanted. i hope we get something like that!

I hope the SSX fans continue to support the SSX game so the SSX producers can afford to support the fans. If the developers add billboards back into the game with ads on them I wonder if they could use the revenue from that to pay for future free DLC.

soultron

Banned
But I thought the "connected generation" was the future. So does this mean that in the future they'll be adding features to bring SSX... into the past?

Batty's bs marketing speak is eating itself.

I'll pick this up if they include split-screen in DLC, although I seriously doubt they'd go that route.

Why not include both? I don't use split-screen, so I was never bothered by the loss, but I'd never be against both options. Lots of people who originally hated on the new live+async MP option are really enjoying it now, so I don't see what the big deal.

They obviously toyed with the idea, so they probably have the code that will provide the groundwork. If they were to finish it up and make it a feature that didn't require the DLC, but could be used in both the standard game and the DLC, that'd be rad.

The team added voice chat to the PS3 version. That should've been a standard feature. They overcame technical hurdles with SEN to do that. Splitscreen would be a much larger job, but I believe they're capable and willing to do something. Hopefully they'll be given the chance.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If the devs are reading/listening:

Give us a better inventory/store interface. I want to collect costumes and gadgets but I hate having to buy one to make another available, particularly since there are so many duplicates that appear.

I dont much care for split screen, but I do want sync racing. Even if we do get separated, its nice to at least have that initial 10 second rush of pushing and shoving. Or catching a glimpse out of the corner of your eye of a competitor pulling a massive trick .

btkadams

I hope the SSX fans continue to support the SSX game so the SSX producers can afford to support the fans. If the developers add billboards back into the game with ads on them I wonder if they could use the revenue from that to pay for future free DLC.

i definitely will. i just want them to have less pits and ditch the stupid, gimmicky blurred/blackedout vision crap in the next game. the new ssx has amazing highs, and brutal lows. i don't even bother playing 1/3 of the tracks anymore because they piss me off so much.

If the devs are reading/listening:

Give us a better inventory/store interface. I want to collect costumes and gadgets but I hate having to buy one to make another available, particularly since there are so many duplicates that appear.
it's awful! it also infuriates me that all of the costumes are the exact same with just random colours changed. there should be physical differences in the outfits.

vix

When we were at the studio for community day, we were asked if we'd like to see revisited tracks. :p Just like how BF3 did "Back To Karkand," we said, "Hey, why not do an enhanced 'Back To Tokyo Megaplex' run?"

One idea that was mentioned was snowed-out courses. We even joked about post-apocalyptic stuff. Haha. We all were serious about city tracks and a "greatest hits" sort of track DLC.

that was something i always thought of too. a snowed out old school track like merq or metro and you could see rooftops, etc but not the original track.

Socreges

Banned
Why not include both? I don't use split-screen, so I was never bothered by the loss, but I'd never be against both options. Lots of people who originally hated on the new live+async MP option are really enjoying it now, so I don't see what the big deal.

They obviously toyed with the idea, so they probably have the code that will provide the groundwork. If they were to finish it up and make it a feature that didn't require the DLC, but could be used in both the standard game and the DLC, that'd be rad.

The team added voice chat to the PS3 version. That should've been a standard feature. They overcame technical hurdles with SEN to do that. Splitscreen would be a much larger job, but I believe they're capable and willing to do something. Hopefully they'll be given the chance.
Huh?

Anyway, I don't think they'll add it in now because it wouldn't necessarily help them bring in many new customers (ie, people buying the game because they somehow hear about the DLC or update). They would save something like that for a sequel, I think.

Fixed1979

I'll happily support an SSX game as soon as they make one. I paid full price for this turd (even though I was should have known better), I can't imagine a day when this "team" gets another penny from me.

Famassu

I've been putting off buying this since I haven't had the time to play this, but with Tricky DLC possibly coming, I just caved in.

Top Bottom