• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•06-08•17 - Ponies trampled by Runner, Mountain Between #1 & #2

Did my part for Blade Runner 2049. Not too bothered because at the end of the day it's insane the project happened at all. Denis directing a $150M+ Blade Runner sequel that runs nearly three hours and has a very slow and methodical pace. And a late sequel that's truly a late sequel to Blade Runner; meaning unlike Creed or Star Wars 7, it feel crucial to have seen the first. And it ain't like Blade Runner was a huge movie in 1982 to begin with.

I'm grateful for all those involved. I hope everyone involved with Dune is similarly crazy.

Yeah crazy thing about BR2049 is that it isn't a soft reboot but its just a straight up sequel where you need to have watched the first.

Creed and Force Awakens you can probably get by with cultural osmosis and Fury Road is hardly connected at all but there are moments in 2049 that will only click if you saw the original

kevin1025

Banned
Blade Runner will do good for scifi fans and old people who love the original but the long run time and 150m budget are gonna hurt it.

I think the film deserved it's run time unlike something like Kingsman 2 though.

But we totally needed that second robot dog action scene.

(We really didn't.)

Damn, that'd disheartening to see the BO for Blade Runner.

My girlfriend had no interest in seeing it, so we caught The Mountain Between Us yesterday. I'll be watching BR on my own later today.

berzeli

Banned
Hmm. International numbers for Blade Runner seem fine, so far.
Blade Runner 2049, the Denis Villeneuve-helmed sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 cult classic took flight in 63 overseas markets this weekend, hunting down $50.2M at the international box office.
The top market was the UK with an $8M launch, on par with comp Interstellar and ahead of Mad Max: Fury Road (+15%).

If it manages near Interstellar numbers that would be stellar (sorrynotsorry) for Sony. That one did $487,100,000 internationally, over 72% of its total revenue was international. But that remains to be seen.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm not surprised Blade Runner underperformed, but I'm surprised by the degree. I didn't think it would do numbers that low. That said, I remain surprised Sony spent $150 million on it, since Blade Runner is not particularly highly thought of by the mainstream audience, and that's just counting those who have actually seen or heard of it. It's a film geek/sci-fi nerd darling, but that's not a large enough audience to throw that kind of budget at something.

I liked the movie but I dont see the brilliance behind it tbh. It was a standard sci fi movie with tons of cliches.

I am actually questioning if Ghost in the Shell, which I think was just as "good" as Blade, was not only panned because of the racial controversy, but also because of the lead being a woman.

Sometimes the problem is you, not the movies. BR2049 is about five levels above GitS in every aspect of its filmmaking and storytelling (although you could argue GitS had a more realistic idea of what its budget should be). I can't even imagine comparing the two in any meaningful way other than to highlight how poorly GitS did what it was trying to do.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I don’t know if my attention span is a lot longer than before, but I didn’t consider 2049 boring at all. Calculated, but never a wasted shot. Every close-up or lingering frame is there to show someone’s emotional state, that they’re pondering the same questions the audience is. Didn’t feel the runtime at all, but I was enthralled by the noir mystery the whole time.

120v

honestly i would've been shocked if blade runner cracked anywhere near $40 million. i mean, it's blade runner.

wouldn't be surprised if word of mouth keeps it hanging in there for awhile, though

I don’t know if my attention span is a lot longer than before, but I didn’t consider 2049 boring at all. Calculated, but never a wasted shot. Every close-up or lingering frame is there to show someone’s emotional state, that they’re pondering the same questions the audience is. Didn’t feel the runtime at all, but I was enthralled by the noir mystery the whole time.

Yep. Movie flew by for me, which wasn’t what I expected from reading reviews and impressions. Will see it again one night this week.

N7.Angel

In the mean time:

Worlwide 2017:

9c1286d2642b0b072e712336dcb8aac6.png

Domestic 2017:

Code:
[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/838be232b00b6ffb2cab4864bbff3be6.png[/IMG]

Look at those amazing movies, look at the diversity of the top ten... I'm sure a niche noir detective sci-fy movie will totally destroy the box office...

IKizzLE

Actually heard a ton of people after my blade runner showing saying how disappointed and bored they were.

Not surprising at all. I expect the movie to have a huge second weekend drop.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
In the mean time:

Worlwide 2017:

Domestic 2017:

Code:
[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/838be232b00b6ffb2cab4864bbff3be6.png[/IMG]

Look at those amazing movies, look at the diversity of the top ten... I'm sure a niche noir detective sci-fy movie will totally destroy the box office...
Wonder Woman so close to beating Spider Man

Did my part for BR2049. Great movie, hope it's international intake does significantly better compared to the domestic numbers we're getting now.

“Why doesn’t Hollywood do anything thought-provoking anymore, maaaaan”

*ignores Mother! and BR2049, letting them bomb while watching Marvel and Star Wars opening weekend purely for the sake of bitching about it*

*cue someone retorting "b-b-but BR2049 is a sequel! It doesn't count!~"*

On the bright side, 2049 will most likely rake in all the technical Oscars

Anything less and that would be blasphemy, honestly. The visual effects and cinematography are easily the film's most visible strengths.

GhaleonEB

My Little Pony was a fun movie. Had a better theater experience than Blade Runner due to the enthusiastic audience vs. the bored/restless group that saw BR. I hope it hangs in there. (Ponies)

Blade Runner is gonna fall hard, the daily tracking is dire. I thought the run time was largely justified by the rich atmosphere it creates, but it's pretty clear general audiences are gonna be bored waiting for an explosion. Even action in the film is subdued. (Not a slight to the film, just against audience expectations.)

Too bad. It'll be the flip side to Fury Road, a modest disappointment instead of a modest success.

ryan299

Actually heard a ton of people after my blade runner showing saying how disappointed and bored they were.

Not surprising at all. I expect the movie to have a huge second weekend drop.

Same. Lots complained about the length. It's way too long.

gatti-man

If you walk out of Blade Runner you deserve nothing but transformers sequels for the rest of your life. Sighhhhhhhhhh

A couple in the same line as me were actually snoring lol. I also saw 4 people walking out.

That's nothing. In my screening 6 people literally died of boredom!

Seriously though, I can't believe people walk out of films so frequently. I don't think that happens very much in Australia (or I just don't pay enough attention)

Imagine if that My Little Pony movie had come out 5 or even 3 years earlier.

Would've done $60 million+ opening weekend easily.

Tobor

I can’t stay awake during Blade Runner, so no way am I dropping $20 to nap during the sequel.

I’ll wait till it’s available for streaming and I need a good rest.

That's actually a horrible opening for Blade Runner 2049, and what a crying shame. It was a great film. Now I'm assuming Villenueve will have to make a studio film just to pay for the films failure, maybe he can do a James Bond film like he wants to do. Eh!!!

How the hell Blade Runner 2049 got green lighted with that budget is beyond me. They're lucky the movie is good though, otherwise this could have turned out as bad as King Arthur or something.

Alcon and Sony assumed it would be successful / wanted a new franchise. WB was actually reluctant about it though, which is why they largely only distributed. You can see its 150m dollar budget on the screen though.

Hopefully MLP will have some legs. What's the upcoming family release slate look like?

It has four weeks to itself, however the poor Friday to Saturday drop suggests that Bronies likely overall went to the film, so I'm not sure the legs will really be there.

Hmm. International numbers for Blade Runner seem fine, so far.

If it manages near Interstellar numbers that would be stellar (sorrynotsorry) for Sony. That one did $487,100,000 internationally, over 72% of its total revenue was international. But that remains to be seen.

It's not doing Interstellar numbers. 240m at best, China won't go crazy for it, since it's considered slow.

TARS

Neo Member
I hope Kingsman: The Golden Circle manages to reach $100M domestic. I sure didn't like it as much as the first one, but I'd still like it to see do a bit better.

HeySeuss

Man I was gonna predict 29 mil for Blade Runner but I didn't want to get dogpiled. I did say it was not going to do as well as GAF thought several weeks ago tho.

DMczaf

Dunkirk

Production Budget: $100 million

Domestic: $187,037,289 35.9%
+ Foreign: $333,700,000 64.1%
= Worldwide: $520,737,289

We did it, Guzim

We did it.

I can’t stay awake during Blade Runner, so no way am I dropping $20 to nap during the sequel.

I’ll wait till it’s available for streaming and I need a good rest.

Funnily enough, falling asleep to Blade Runner is my favorite thing to do.

Nothing like turning on Blade Runner on a rainy afternoon with a glass of whisky.

Will be doing this with 2049 too whenever it comes out on home video.

Top Bottom