• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian woman calls 911, shot dead by responding police in Minneapolis

Jotaka

I get the feeling there gonna throw him under the bus
mohamed-noor.jpg

He is not white. He is done.

I get the feeling there gonna throw him under the bus
mohamed-noor.jpg

LOL no.

We're going to have the usual " she was no angel", "probably had it coming", "dindunuffin, she was a good girl" etc and the cop will be found innocent by a jury of his peers.

I don't know which reality to believe in now.

At least now we know for sure the woman will get proper justice for her murder. But unlike the cop who was convicted in NY for killing a person in a stairwell, you won't see blacks marching because this officer won't be let go like his white counterparts.

WoolyNinja

He is not white. He is done.

Just to refresh everyones memory - I'm pretty sure just recently in the Twin Cities a non-white police officer was acquitted for the death of Philando Castile so lets not jump to any conclusions.

EDIT:
yea but Castille was darker and had marijuana in his system.

Now if this yoga instructor has marijuana in her system, that should be interesting.

He killed a black man.
Both of you are completely correct, not that the color of skin or marijuana should change anything (but sadly it seems to)

Indeed. He has a high probability of acquittal just based on the stats alone. Even if you include minority shooters. Data proves out Police are nearly untouchable in situations like this.
This is much closer to what I was trying to say

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Just to refresh everyones memory - I'm pretty sure just recently in the Twin Cities a non-white police officer was acquitted for the death of Philando Castile so lets not jump to any conclusions.

yea but Castille was darker and had marijuana in his system.

Now if this yoga instructor has marijuana in her system, that should be interesting.

tkscz

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-17/australian-woman-shot-dead-by-police-in-minneapolis/8714330

Bloody hell guys. Body cameras not turned on, shooting the damn person calling for help, fuck me. Maybe now a white woman has been murdered some action will be taken. Shit sounds utterly fucked up.

Here in Ohio, a 17 year old white girl was shot then run over by a cop. Nothing came of it and the cop walked. Doubtful results will be any different here, though the circumstances are quite a bit different if the driver cop snitches on his passenger.

Indeed. He has a high probability of acquittal just based on the stats alone. Even if you include minority shooters. Data proves out Police are nearly untouchable in situations like this.

It would take a damning testimony from the driver to convict. My guess is he'll get off for this by claiming it was an accident due to him being relatively new to the force. No matter what actually happened.

Mohammed Noor, eh?

This may be the first time since Johannes Mehserle where a high profile police shooting sees a cop actually serve jail time.

And the first time ever Fox News will be upset about and on the right side of an act of police brutality.

MarionCB

Well, that's a development. Fox News must be feeling conflicted. Though I'm sure they'll manage to both defend murderous cops and fan racial hatred at the same time.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that's a development. Fox News must be feeling conflicted. Though I'm sure they'll manage to both defend murderous cops and fan racial hatred at the same time.

They're probably on the phone with the NRA right now looking for tips

zeemumu

I'm late to hearing about this

Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver's side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver's side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.

What?!

Sure, but that was the killing of a black man.

More unarmed white people are killed by cops than POC - I point that out not to defend cops or make an argument against discrimination claims, rather to show that in both scenarios nearly none of the shooters ever go to prison.

The sad truth is that when it's the cops vs the public - cops aren't held accountable.

jfkgoblue

More unarmed white people are killed by cops than POC - I point that out not to defend cops or make an argument against discrimination claims, rather to show that in both scenarios nearly none of the shooters ever go to prison.

The sad truth is that when it's the cops vs the public - cops aren't held accountable.
Well... 75% of the country is white vs 12% black... so the likelihood of a black man getting shot is significantly higher.

Cvie

I get that this stuff is tragic and terrible but you probably have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than being shot by a police officer.

did a little looking and in the US it seems like you are about twice as likely to be killed by police shooting than struck by lightning and about 20 times more likely to be killed by police shooting than killed by lightning strike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_strike#Injuries

According to the NOAA, over the last 20 years, the United States averaged 51 annual lightning strike fatalities, placing it in the second position, just behind floods for deadly weather.[8][9] In the US, between 9% and 10% of those struck die,[10] for an average of 40 to 50 deaths per year (28 in 2008). [11]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

Washington Post has been collecting data on police fatal shootings since 2015.

edit: typo had 10 times instead of 20 times for death comparison

Here in Ohio, a 17 year old white girl was shot then run over by a cop. Nothing came of it and the cop walked. Doubtful results will be any different here, though the circumstances are quite a bit different if the driver cop snitches on his passenger.

Endless stories of Ohio police doing heinous stuff and getting away with it.

Where are the posters in that NWA police funeral thread, again?

Fuck the police.

WTF?

Story link?

The Cowboy

Well... 75% of the country is white vs 12% black... so the likelihood of a black man getting shot is significantly higher.
The point the person was making is - it doesn't matter what colour the victims skin is (or even the officers skin), the US police get away with murder most of the time anyway.

Shaneus

If it isn't already an international incident, that will make it one.
It's made it onto the news here in Australia, but I fully expect Turnbull (our PM) to offer some lily-livered statement about the incident, bring up how his party first introduced the gun amnesty in the 90s and leave it at that.
Don't want to sour dem relations with Trump.

Cagey

Banned
Is there some statistical evidence showing an overwhelming disparity in murder or manslaughter conviction rates for non-white officers in shooting cases versus white officers to warrant the "lol he's gonna eat it cause he's brown and she was white" narrative, or is this reliance on choice recalling a few anecdotes and making assumptions?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Don't hope. He'll get a job as a police officer in another town nearby. These killer officers aren't really fired. They're moved around like Catholic Church did with pedophile priests. New Yorker did an article on this sort of thing a while back, and found an officer with three negligent homicides who was still working as a police officer.
He was a seasoned US policeman.

Belker

"The current environment for police is difficult but Officer Noor accepts this as part of his calling."

What kind of line is that to put in a statement where you dealing with a policeman killing the person that called him for help?

Even if the killing was, say, an accidental discharge, to put line like that it in is beyond crass.

akira28

he'll face the consequences of his actions in court, more than likely. And so should all officers who act and take a life in circumstances like these.

Is there some statistical evidence showing an overwhelming disparity in murder or manslaughter conviction rates for non-white officers in shooting cases versus white officers to warrant the "lol he's gonna eat it cause he's brown and she was white" narrative, or is this reliance on choice recalling a few anecdotes and making assumptions?

Well the first thing, which I'm sure you already know, is that the number of convictions of police officers following the shooting of an unarmed civilian, no matter the races of the cop and the victim, is extremely low. So there's not even going to be much in the way of statistics. Anecdotes are all we have because a convicted cop is such a statistical aberration.

Some audio was leaked

http://mnpoliceclips.com/Minneapolis-----XX-Washburn-Ave-S---ShootingIt-sounds-.html

Emergency dispatch audio posted on PoliceClips.com offers some insight into the response of police and other emergency personnel. The Twin Cities website monitors law enforcement scanner dispatches and shares them online. “Female screaming behind the building,” says the dispatcher at shortly before 11:28 p.m.

Later, an officer declares “shots fired,” and requests emergency medical personnel. “We’ve got one down” quickly follows.

It's made it onto the news here in Australia, but I fully expect Turnbull (our PM) to offer some lily-livered statement about the incident, bring up how his party first introduced the gun amnesty in the 90s and leave it at that.
Don't want to sour dem relations with Trump.

Guy can't even stand up to the conservative ideologues in his own party, let alone the President of another country

Has anything developed that lets us know what his possible motives are? This is still murder, right?

This is going to roll a couple of ways.

They could wash him like us civies and get the book

He can get blue shield armor and take a knee for a bit, come out fresh

or

He can get upgraded blue shield armor and get paid vacation

That last one would surprise me.

Edit: The perspective is that he is a "black" cop who killed a white woman in America. He is the first Somali cop in that region, This is crazy to try to even understand what happened.

Looks like the cop has a number of past issues

The officer had little more than two years experience, and had already been sued over an incident on the job earlier this year.
According to federal court documents detailing the open case, Noor, along with another officer, allegedly forced his way into a woman’s home and taking her to hospital.
The complaint alleges Noor and the other officer of forcing their way into the woman’s house “without any reasonable or legal cause” and accuses them of “violently and forcibly detained her and transported her against her will”.
The woman was told she was sent to hospital because she was in a “mental health crisis” and calling 911 “a million times”, which she denies.

The complainant alleges false imprisonment, battery, assault, negligence, and violating civil rights.
The complaint was filed to the US District court just over three weeks ago, and the case is ongoing.

low-G

I do hope this opens the eyes of racists and idiots that police can and will murder them too. It's crazy but we actually need everyone on board to break up this criminal terrorist group.

Top Bottom