• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Introducing...

GeDoSaTo - Source code now available here.

gedosato_by_aloo81-d7ft9h5.png

(That's 400x more pixels than 1080p)

From Durante, the maker of DSFix and DPFix comes GeDoSaTo.

Features include

Here is how it works

• Downsampling, better than any other solution:
  • Essentially no resolution limits (beyond those of the GPU)
  • Downsampling from more than 4x the resolution is useful (multi-stage downsampling)
  • Selection of downsampling methods (not just bilinear sampling)
  • Downsampling in linear color space
  • Support downsampling to high-frequency (e.g. 120 Hz or 144 Hz) target modes
  • Not limited by display hardware
  • Take screenshots of either the pre-downsampled full buffer or the actual image displayed on screen (automatically sorted in per-game folders!)
  • Generic texture overriding for all textures loaded using D3DX
  • It uses a far more solid injection and interception method than my earlier efforts

You can transform games from having IQ like this

*Click to view full size*

to IQ like this

gedosato_comparison_by_aloo81-d7ftij3.gif

or this

09DZrKY.gif

Download here

You may find a list of compatible games here.

Compatibility will likely change with updates.

You can find the current bugs here.

You can find the source code here.

You can find a list of some PSHash's for HUDless screenshots here.

For anyone interested in working on the source code, this post makes it infinitely easier to do.

I tried to compile everything from scratch at my work place and it took me a good hour to get everything up and running (I get distracted easily and yeah the whole process is a bit of a pain in the ass to say the least).
So I decided to include everything -all the dependencies- in a ready-made package so that new-comers can easily get GeDoSaTo compiling hopefully in 10 minutes :

For Visual Studio 2012 (msvc-11) :
- Download the Dependencies archive and unzip it at the root of your C:\ drive
- Download the DirectX SDK August 09 and install it at the default location
- Configure the GeDoSaTo Visual Studio project like this (include directories) and this (libraries directories) -sorry my IDE is in french and yea it often surrenders-
- Disable everything in 'Build events' (in the same Properties Page as previous step) if the compiler complains about 'missing ruby version.rb'

Going to post this on Durante's blog as well if it's useful to anyone. I know it will be for me when I move to some other computer

How to submit a game config through GitHub to GeDoSaTo

If you'd like to donate to Durante for all his efforts, you may do so here.

Durante

Just to make sure, I want to say that this is
  • A complex thing
  • Incredibly buggy
  • And does not work with every game right now -- that's the goal

Still, excited to release it, I've been working on it since last year and thought about it longer.

Sullichin

Nice OP image.

Very hyped for this. Thanks for the hard work Durante. Downsampling with AMD cards is a pain, this looks awesome.

Incredibly hyped for this, no more messing around with drivers.

And most AMD users will finally be able to downsample games, it was incredibly scary before.

DinHerio

Banned
  • A complex thing
  • Incredibly buggy

Still, excited to release it, I've been working on it since last year and thought about it longer.

You're wonderful.
I can't even code simple shit, although I'm going to study computer science. Hope I can overcome my ultimate laziness. You're a huge inspiration, that's for sure!

No. Your hardware will never notice a difference from its native resolution.
Why does downsampling make your TV darker? Limited/Full range RGB issue?

According to a nice fellow over at steam gaf, it's a known bug with Nividia cards. For some reason, using an HMDI cable to run my PC to my TV causes some sort of bug that only occurs when downsampling, and that is that my screen gets MUUUUCCCCH darker when I try downsampling. I have to crank the brightness up almost to max on most games so that it looks ok. It never happens outside of downsampling, though.

No and you have the option of a superior sampling method too.

Ahh, then i got to give this a try : )

Dr Dogg

Oh My God! So the "test pics" in the screenshot thread wasn't me going insane.

So from reading your post on your blog it's only DX9 and 9e for now?

Oh and it's a sort of catchy name I guess ;)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
  • A complex thing
  • Incredibly buggy

Hey, does HBAO+ work with GeDoSaTo? In my screenshots it seems not to.

Gbraga

According to a nice fellow over at steam gaf, it's a known bug with Nividia cards. For some reason, using an HMDI cable to run my PC to my TV causes some sort of bug that only occurs when downsampling, and that is that my screen gets MUUUUCCCCH darker when I try downsampling. I have to crank the brightness up almost to max on most games so that it looks ok. It never happens outside of downsampling, though.

Again, FullRGB fix (or changing the color scheme to YCbCr) should solve this issue. I had the same thing.

Grief.exe

Durante, does it do anything for games locked to a 4:3 rendering resolution? Games such as Call of Cthulhu or Max Payne just stretch the image when a 16:9 resolution is selected.

The latter does have a unofficial patch available, but the former does not. Just curious as to what kind of technical hurdles this would represent.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Durante, does it do anything for games locked to a 4:3 rendering resolution? Games such as Call of Cthulhu or Max Payne just stretch the image when a 16:9 resolution is selected.

The latter does have a unofficial patch available, but the former does not. Just curious as to what kind of technical hurdles this would represent.
No those would require very specific code related fixes on a per game basis.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Are there comparison pics for non-downsampled, slightly downsampled, highly downsampled, massively downsampled and monstrously downsampled? I cant imagine you'd get a much noticeable benefit in that upper range.

Durante

Well, you may be able to downsample from higher 4:3 resolution, but it's not intended to be a aspect ratio fixer.

Of course, once my vision is complete, it could be used to fix aspect ratios :p

Dizzy-4U

Support downsampling to high-frequency (e.g. 120 Hz or 144 Hz) target modes

Holy shit! based Durante!!!!!!

I could only go up to 2880x1620 before (If I wanted to keep the 60hz), time to try this baby out!

Top Bottom