• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are sanding down their glossy black consoles

YRunztu.gif

I'm so uncomfortable. This video has been circulating the web, which shows viewers how to "sand down" their glossy black plastic devices to give it a more premium look. This involves stripping off the top layer of clear coat by essentially scratching stuff to fuck using Scotch-Brite.
Examples:
This has such potential to go disastrously wrong. I mean look at this:
YRunztu.gif

Mods pls take away my Scotch-Brite if old

Nephtes

If companies would stop making stupid glossy electronics, people wouldn't feel the need to resort to this...

saunderez

The Wii U looks great. Xbone looks a bit rough but still pretty good. I'd probably give it a go, its not like the potential cosmetic damage is any worse the cosmetic damage a glossy console will receive over its lifetime anyway.

I would actually prefer a matte finish over a glossy one myself, but i would never risk doing it myself or pay anyone else to do it.

I like the brushed look more than matte or glossy, when done properly at least. Doesn't show as many finger prints as glossy and doesn't soak up the dust like matte either.

If it were done a little better it would look really good.

I actually like the Wii U shown in the picture though.
The Wii U looks okay until you get up close, and you see that the scratches aren't perfectly straight.
They're all slightly curved upwards, like a bracket that's fallen over. )

Hahs

Hm. My consoles too shiney I'm gonna dull the shit out of it... Hm! the engraved lettering on my console is too shallow - where's my fucking steak knife?!

gcubed

The problem is you will never be straight enough. The wiiu looks OK from far but bad up close because it isn't straight.

The mbp though. Good god

XenodudeX

Doesn't that hurt the resale value or something? I can't imagine gamestop or amazon excepting those things in that condition.

Kysen

The x1 looks terrible it's like they were going for an old wood look. They even got some of the sanded down particles stuck in the vent lol

MrBenchmark

I want to see a wiiU gamepad like that.
The Wii u looks ok but they should have been more careful with the Xbox ones vents

a brushed aluminum look would be way cooler than the black gloss on my wiiu but I'm not resorting to scotch brite to get it. Madness.

saunderez

For the record you could probably fix that Macbook with some Brasso*, some cotton wool and several hours of polishing. It's pretty amazing how shiny that stuff can make a roughed up surface with enough work.

*According to Wikipedia the stuff they sell as Brasso in the US isn't actually Brasso. So I don't know what you'd use there. British or Australian Brasso would totally polish it up though.

Sir TapTap

I want to see a wiiU gamepad like that.
The Wii u looks ok but they should have been more careful with the Xbox ones vents

You might want to see it but wouldn't want to hold it; it probably feels terrible. Lines won't be even like any consumer brushed metal object (not sure you can ever sand plastic to feel like brushed metal anyway).

CTLance

As someone who heartily detests glossy plastic surfaces this initially made me weep tears of joy.
I mean, the brushed look on the WiiU ain't half bad. The scratches need to be parallel and very straight for it to work.

Then I scrolled down and saw the rest of the pictures.

Yikes.

Top Bottom