• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Takao

Banned
This just boggles my mind. Like why? If they thought it was the 3DS audience, then they could've ported it to Vita in 4 days assuming it's on Framework, and then if that didn't work out, they could've ported it to XBLA/PSN/iOS. This is Crapcom throwing Megaman as a whole under the bus. I don't even like plain old Megaman that much, but fuck you Capcom.

ULTROS! said:
Namco Bandai is way better than Capcom now (focus on Japanese development from what I've read, bringing a Tales game even if it's late).

Probably they're on par with Konami because Konami doesn't give two shits about Suikoden and keeps dragging down Silent Hill.

Scamco is better. Scamco generally puts out worse games, but they at least put out games people would like to play, and aren't trying to single handily destroy a genre of games after doing the exact same in the 90s.

I'd say Konami is still better than these losers. They're at least willing to take risks like Never Dead, and publish exciting things like that Tri-Ace 3DS game.

Eteric Rice said:
Should we be concerned about the 3DS?

Because I'm getting concerned...
Nah, not due to this, at least. This was sadly pretty much inevitable since Inafune left, (though I was really hoping they'd manage to pull if off somehow). :(

If I don't get X in Marvel vs Capcom 3.... This is going to hit me even harder, nothing like an angry fan base to watch profits go down.

Key2001

FTH said:
A Digimon game was greenlit in Japan for PSP.

for christ's sake

Not by Capcom and actually looks really good. Well as good as a game can from 1 magazine scan. I just hope it is released upside of Japan (on PSN if possible).

This is one of the games I was waiting on for more information before buying a 3DS, glad I did.

SnakeSlashRO said:
If I don't get X in Marvel vs Capcom 3.... This is going to hit me even harder, nothing like an angry fan base to watch profits go down.
They'll put Megaman from Legends on MvC3 just to troll fans.

You know is true.

Riposte

celcius said:
I didn't plan on buying a 3DS but was still interested in seeing how this game turned out. Sucks to hear it ended up like this. Too bad they don't start from scratch and make it for ps3...
yeah right

If only there was a platform that had the accessibility and market expectations of a portable and the fidelity of a PS3...

Gaogaogao said:
they should sell this game and demo as a downloadable for ALL the platforms, not just the 3DS before its prime...

Or at least include the design of the character the community voted on as a cameo in some other game.

iKeepPlaying said:

You know is true.

You mean to get fans to buy the Supa Ultimate Extreme MvC3 Arcade on console edition

Riposte said:
If only there was a platform that had the accessibility and market expectations of a portable and the fidelity of a PS3...

Vita? you mean Vita, right? right?

daffy

Banned
Key2001 said:
Not by Capcom and actually looks really good. Well as good as a game can from 1 magazine scan. I just hope it is released upside of Japan (on PSN if possible).

This is one of the games I was waiting on for more information before buying a 3DS, glad I did.
But how crazy is that non? Digimon. More viable than Megaman.

I doubt it hits NA, I'll import if it looks good on release. BUT STILLLLL

iKeepPlaying said:

You know is true.

I don't even know if that'd count as one last good thing Capcom could do for Legends fans or as rubbing salt on the wound.

Reading through this thread, it seems like a vast majority of people had no clue just how vital to Mega Man's existence Inafune really was. As soon as he left, the writing was pretty much on the wall.

I think reality is really smacking a lot of fans in the face right now.

Sennorin

Banned
"WTF" is my first reaction. Wasn´t the game in a very far development cycle? They were close to releasing the demo, weren´t they. This has to be the oddest decision ever. Definitely don´t think that it was a mere "quality didnt reach requirements"-decision. Fishy and shocking.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Reading through this thread, it seems like a vast majority of people had no clue just how vital to Mega Man's existence Inafune really was. As soon as he left, the writing was pretty much on the wall.

I think reality is really smacking a lot of fans in the face right now.

As a matter of fact, what is he up to now?

oh man, my owning of a 3DS has been a train wreck.

The hilarious thing is, I don't think it's completely outside the realm of possibility for the Vita to outsell the thing now with all these delays and cancellations.

Vita will probably end up being an even bigger bomb though.
I'm hoping Paper Mario and Layton save the thing

ShockingAlberto said:
It's not necessarily a lack of software, it's how the software that's announced is treated.

Konami clearly saw no financial viability in MGS3DS, so they yanked the budget. The result is a downgrade from a demo made in two weeks, on the actual hardware, that looks barely above the 2004 PS2 release, if noticeably at all.

Dream Drop Distance is barely being talked about. At this junction in Birth By Sleep's development, Sony showed that game off like crazy. Square and Nintendo have nothing to show. Square announced Chocobo Racing, with screenshots, and has hidden it away like Quasimodo since. Is it still ringing the bells over in Square's office? Who even fucking knows!

Capcom threw a quick cashgrab RE title with a 30 second demo and hilarious DRM at the system, a rushed port of a fighting game (where the next game in the series will not be coming to the 3DS, but is coming to the Vita with exclusive content), canceled a title they announced last year after pulling the promised demo from the 3DSware launch, announced a minigame collection that they refuse to acknowledge, and will maybe release an RE title middle-to-late next year that will likely get ported to other systems.

Time and time again, I see people saying "Well, Wii software would have had a chance if the developers put effort in!" Which is mostly true. A lot of that Wii software was shit or mis-marketed to the craziest possible aims. Those developers did not care to or want to treat those releases with respect, because they saw the system as a side-toy that could be used to siphon money from people who did not know better.

You see that same gleam in the eye of publishers on the 3DS. They're not going to respect the software like they do on HD consoles or like they did on the DS. They're going to find reasons not to develop on it, they're going to put out games that developers can work on in-between their HD projects or on their lunch breaks.

It's how it went down with the Wii.

It's how it will go down with the 3DS if something does not happen soon.
people only admit these things when it's already too late. with the wii, you still had posters trying to deny the whole situation up 'till 2010.

it's highly unlikely for the 3ds to have its nintendogs/brain training/wii sports imo. nintendo is focused on the wiiu since they expected the 3ds to do better and 3d hasn't really been a successful gimmick, making it even less likely for them to create another successful franchise out of the blue

The most likely explanation is that Capcom was already wary about the project, the earthquake caused them to delay work on the game quite a bit (they even posted a "DEVELOPMENT RESUMED" blog post), and they could not catch up on those few months of missed work.

So Capcom used the inability to meet the dev milestone (based on acts of God, no less) as a reason to cancel it.

If the 3DS, or 3DS software, were selling like gangbusters, it likely would have stayed alive.

_woLf said:
I officially have no fucking reason to own a 3DS.

not even Pokemon Orange? Super Mario?

Green Biker Dude said:
people only admit these things when it's already too late. with the wii, you still had posters trying to deny the whole situation up 'till 2010.

it's highly unlikely for the 3ds to have its nintendogs/brain training/wii sports imo. nintendo is focused on the wiiu since they expected the 3ds to do better and 3d hasn't really been a successful gimmick, making it even less likely for them to create another successful franchise out of the blue

I dunno, I don't believe 3DS is done. Like somebody else said earlier all it needs is a spark

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Riposte said:
A system like that would cost 4-5 hundred dollars DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *end sarcasm*

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
PounchEnvy said:
Dragon's Dogma looked interesting when I thought it was a co-op Monster Hunter-like game. When it was revealed that it was exclusively single-player I lost all interest. The game looked pretty uninspired but I was willing to look past it at something that's Monster Hunter-ish. But nope.
Same here. I'm already burnt-out again by fighting games. I am not looking forward to any Capcom games save for RE4 HD remake but if it doesn't perform as well as its Dolphin counterparts, then there is nothing for me. I cannot believe that in 20 years of gaming, I don't give a crap about Capcom anymore.

The M.O.B

Capcom is afraid to stick there neck out. Afraid to bring back a series that hasn't been seen since 2000. They are a large company who is currently playing it safe like so many others. HD remake here, sequel to popular game there, another HD collection, etc etc.

Correct me if I am wrong but haven't 90% of the megaman games in the past 10 years been on portables? The network series, the Zero series, ZX series, Star Force series. Others like Command Mission and a few others were on consoles but the majority were obviously on GB/GBA/DS.

If Capcom isn't ready to bring back Megaman on the 3DS like he has been on every Nintendo portable before it, they must really be scared with the way things are going right now. Capcom playing it safe means 3DS will get another crappy rendition of battle network or something and Vita will get yet another megaman collection and they expect megaman fans will be satisfied with this. :/

They have lost confidence in the marketability of Megaman, he was once the face and pride of Capcom after all. I dunno maybe an appearance in the next Smash Bros game can get Capcom off their butt to do something.

I could be wrong, but I doubted.

TreIII

a Master Ninja said:
Oh, it will. It will.

Ye-up. Don't see why Capcom put so much bank and their remaining talent into something that's not going to sell the millions they probably put on their lists.

Zero interest in this series, but this is definitely looking bad for the 3DS.

Nintendo can't win. If they leave a window for third parties, then third parties won't take advantage and the console won't sell. If they release their heavy hitters, third parties run away.

The M.O.B said:
Capcom is afraid to stick there neck out. Afraid to bring back a series that hasn't been seen since 2000. They are a large company who is currently playing it safe like so many others. HD remake here, sequel to popular game there, another HD collection, etc etc.

Correct me if I am wrong but haven't 90% of the megaman games in the past 10 years been on portables? The network series, the Zero series, ZX series, Star Force series. Others like Command Mission and a few others were on consoles but the majority were obviously on GB/GBA/DS.

If Capcom isn't ready to bring back Megaman on the 3DS like he has been on every Nintendo portable before it, they must really be scared with the way things are going right now. Capcom playing it safe means 3DS will get another crappy rendition of battle network or something and Vita will get yet another megaman collection and they expect megaman fans will be satisfied with this. :/

They have lost confidence in the marketability of Megaman, he was once the face and pride of Capcom after all. I dunno maybe an appearance in the next Smash Bros game can get Capcom off their butt to do something.

The last Mega man game that actually had any kind of a budget was Legends 2 for the PS1. Let that sink in.

RedSwirl

The M.O.B said:

Mega Man has been niche at least since the end of the PS1 era.

Top Bottom