• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 3.56 Feature Found! NO MORE HDD UPGRADES!!! (on 16MB units) [fixed]

UPDATE: a new and fixed 3.56 is now up!

Original post follows:

apparently, when you are on 3.56, you can no longer swap the HDD for an upgrade on PS3 consoles with 16MB flash. 256MB units apparently work fine. it's nice to see that even after such a long response, this update replicated a bug that was introduced, then fixed around 5 updates ago!

bugfixed 3.56 incoming!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Interesting.

Do you think this was an error, or intentional? I'm not sure if this includes my Slim, but I have a 250gb HDD so it's not like I'll be swapping it out anytime soon.

test_account

XP-39C²
Choppasmith said:
The 16MB flashes are the newer Slims, right?
Yep, but some PS3 Phat models also uses 16MB:

Code:
    * FAT NAND SIZE
          o CECHA = 256MB
          o CECHB = 256MB
          o CECHC = 256MB
          o CECHE = 256MB
          o CECHG = 256MB
          o CECHH = 16MB
          o CECHJ = 16MB
          o CECHK = 16MB
          o CECHL = 16MB
          o CECHM = 16MB
          o CECHP = 16MB
          o CECHQ = 16MB
    * SLIM NAND SIZE
          o CECH-20..A = 16MB
          o CECH-20..B = 16MB
          o CECH-21..A = 16MB
          o CECH-21..B = 16MB
          o CECH-250.A = 16MB
          o CECH-250.B = 16MB
          o CECH-250.A = 16MB
          o CECH-250.B = 16MB
          o CECH-251.A = 16MB
          o CECH-251.B = 16MB

Dambrosi

Banned
Billychu said:
Wait, so I can't replace my hard drive? I'm on a Slim.
If you're on current OFW, no.

H3ro said:
How do you tell what amount you have?

OG Fats in trouble or Slims?
See test_account's list, then check the back of your PS3 or the box it came in. You should find a similar code on the serial number part.

Phew, 80gb BC PS3 here, I've been thinking about upgrading my hard drive for a while. Good thing I'm not affected. Hopefully they fix it soon for those who are. What a mess Sony.

Sony proprietary HDD announcement incoming?

At any rate, hope this bug gets fixed. And this thread reminded me I haven't upgraded firmware yet.

test_account said:
Yep, but some PS3 Phat models also uses 16MB:

Code:
    * FAT NAND SIZE
          o CECHA = 256MB
          o CECHB = 256MB
          o CECHC = 256MB
          o CECHE = 256MB
          o CECHG = 256MB
          o CECHH = 16MB
          o CECHJ = 16MB
          o CECHK = 16MB
          o CECHL = 16MB
          o CECHM = 16MB
          o CECHP = 16MB
          o CECHQ = 16MB
    * SLIM NAND SIZE
          o CECH-20..A = 16MB
          o CECH-20..B = 16MB
          o CECH-21..A = 16MB
          o CECH-21..B = 16MB
          o CECH-250.A = 16MB
          o CECH-250.B = 16MB
          o CECH-250.A = 16MB
          o CECH-250.B = 16MB
          o CECH-251.A = 16MB
          o CECH-251.B = 16MB

Thanks! Pretty sure I'm CECHA, I wasn't planning on upgrading anytime soon anyway.

Still, can't help but wonder if you upgraded you HDD fine on a 16MB Flash and THEN upgraded to 3.56, are you screwed?

Dibbz

What if you already have upgraded your HDD?

My brother upgraded his 80GB unit a long time ago. If he updates his FW will he be ok?

neoism

lol I haven't even turned my system on in like 40 days.... I have an 80gb BC system so I'm safe I guess.

test_account

XP-39C²
Choppasmith said:
Thanks! Pretty sure I'm CECHA, I wasn't planning on upgrading anytime soon anyway.

Still, can't help but wonder if you upgraded you HDD fine on a 16MB Flash and THEN upgraded to 3.56, are you screwed?
No problem :) I copied that list from an other website, but i can only assume that the info is correct.

Unfortunately i have no idea about if the HDD will be fine if you have upgraded it before firmware 3.56. I updated to firmware 3.56 myself, but i am still using the original 120GB HDD that came with my PS3 Slim.

Lince

Banned
latest Slim models are 320 GB, you won't fill that until OFW 5.0 at the very earliest. And for sure the 120 GB of the first Slim model are no slouch.

big deal, first of all kill the damn pirates and hackers wannabe, bugs like these can wait, online cheating can't. I'm sure this bug will affect exactly 12 persons worldwide until a fix is live.

Emitan

Lince said:
latest Slim models are 320 GB, you won't fill that until OFW 5.0 at the very earliest. And for sure the 120 GB of the first Slim model are no slouch.

big deal, first of all kill the damn pirates and hackers wannabe, bugs like these can wait, online cheating can't. I'm sure this bug will affect exactly 12 persons worldwide until a fix is live.
I could very easily fill my 120GB HDD tonight if you wanted. I have tons of music and movies I could put on the system and use it as more of a media player.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, I'd like to see some attribution to this rumour too. Its very specific about an action that most users are only going to use rarely, which is why I'm surprised this has been proven for a FW update out so recently.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I entered GAF searching for that old thread that taught how to exchange HDDs and found this one instead.

I swear to God.

Speevy

Banned
My original PS3 Fat had a 250 GB until it (the system) died. This new one has a 160 GB drive, and I was planning to swap it out.

zoku88

KAL2006 said:
another feature removed, next up USB slots will be unusable

dont hate on sony hate on the hackers :)
the hackers don't make sony do anything.

only sony can be blamed for the removal of advertised features.

test_account

XP-39C²
zoku88 said:
the hackers don't make sony do anything.

only sony can be blamed for the removal of advertised features.
It depends on the situation in my opinion. Techincally Sony does have a choice to do nothing, that is true, but if their system(s) are hacked, they might be "forced" to take certain action in an attempt to fix the security holes.

Paracelsus

Something tells me they are waiting to brand the next PSP as PSP2 to see if it's the case to bail the fuck out and call it "PS4".

Yes, thats' right. The hackers. Those filthy hackers did this.

Certainly not Sony's tested track record of screwing up firmware.

Its always those dirty, dirty hackers.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Dambrosi

Banned
Don't hate them, Wolves. Some people are just too lazy to form their own opinions, is all.

This is Sony's fault, nobody else's. Just like their "random-but-not-random" snafu.

Zzoram: To save money at quality's expense. Why else?

Top Bottom