• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation devices mysteriously deactivated. Sony support cannot help. Help GAF

Yagharek

but I thought your son has a ps4 also, so shouldn't that be 3 ps4s? your story isn't solid.

you paying for something doesn't guarantee anything. and I'm sure if you actually read the full licensing agreement legalese that sony has in place, you'd find that you have few rights than you think.

all I'm reading here is "I bought this, I bought that." No wonder that sony rep disconnected the call. you sound like an asshole.

this is like someone who doesn't keep up with their credit history, and then goes ape shit because they find out five years later that someone fraudulently has a credit card under their name. maybe that's a bad analogy, but do you see what I'm saying?

bottom line: I don't know how this happened, and it sucks that it happened, but getting mad at a support person over the phone for something that they have little control over and acting like an entitled dick because you "bought" it won't get you anywhere.

this is a tangent, because I'm truly sorry that you're going through this. but consider the point of view from the support side of things. in my 15+ years of customer service experience, I always would take a customer's side of the story with a grain of salt because "truth" tends to come out of convenience. and unfortunately, your story is included because we only know what you're telling us. I don't know how your conversation went, but you initially claimed that you spoke for hours with this rep. I can't imagine that phone call having gone very well.

take a breath. step back for a second. maybe waiting six months is a good thing?

find another hobby in the meantime. take your kid out to the park.

realize how fortunate you are that things aren't really all that bad after all.

You worked in customer service for fifteen years and that last bit is your advice?

Jesus.

You worked in customer service for fifteen years and that last bit is your advice?

Jesus.

its all about perspective.

these are all things. and in the grand scope of life, none of this shit even matters.

he has his heath. he has a family. he makes money (or so he likes to tell us).

When you log into your account on a new system you have to re-input any CC info, it doesn't transfer to the system via account.

At least it doesn't on PS3. Pretty sure had to re-input it on PS4 when I got it.

Online you need input the number of the back of the card, so not sure how someone would spend money.

these are all things. and in the grand scope of life, none of this shit even matters.

People in Africa are starving so he shouldn't complain about the terrible customer service from a company he has given thousands of pounds to?

You seem to really dislike the OP and it feels like you're fishing for a "gotcha!" I'm not sure what part of his story really warrants dismantling, especially considering that Sony CS is antagonistic enough on its own.

I don't have a horse in this race. but I know an asshole when I see one.

we can smell our own.

Storm360

I'd be pissed if Sony leaked my account too, when you've spent hundreds (possibly thousands?) on an account, you shouldn't have to wait 6 month to use it

we can smell our own.

In my experience only the assholes actually get help. Whenever I've taken it up the ass by CS nothing ever happens, when you start acting like an asshole and emailing the CEOs do things start to happen.

PopeReal

This would be the worst customer service.... ever.

"Hey, sorry your purchased product doesn't work. But life is awesome, go enjoy it!"

I don't think you really ever worked that job.

Totbjorn

Neo Member
When you log into your account on a new system you have to re-input any CC info, it doesn't transfer to the system via account.

At least it doesn't on PS3. Pretty sure had to re-input it on PS4 when I got it.

Online you need input the number of the back of the card, so not sure how someone would spend money.

Are you sure?
I am not that familiar with PSN since I only used it for a short time before getting hacked but someone definitely added 899SEK to my Sony Entertainment Network wallet using my stored credit card info and then used it to buy Assassin's Creed Unity Gold Edition (Game Pack).

This would be the worst customer service.... ever.

"Hey, sorry your purchased product doesn't work. But life is awesome, go enjoy it!"

I don't think you really ever worked that job.

you're right. I'm all a lie.

I'll just see myself out of this thread.

hope OP gets his precious toys back.

Yagharek

we can smell our own.

So you tell OP not to worry, and instead play in the park whilst continuing to complain yourself about angry customers.

You need to listen to some more Bobby mcferrin before offering advice to anyone else.

Storm360

who said sony leaked his account?

Talking from OPs perspective, and this isn't the first time of cases like this happening.

Even if Sony didn't do it and its a glitch or something, the policy still isn't good enough. I remember I had a glitch that deleted the password from my PSN account, I had to call support who let me back in, but it took a few weeks, if the account was compromised rather than glitched, the attacker would have full access with no problems to my account.

At least put the deactivate all button on a activated console or something.

Edit: about the credit card info, I don't store mine on my account so no idea about new consoles, but even then, you could just use the web store before recovering the account

So you tell OP not to worry, and instead play in the park whilst continuing to complain yourself about angry customers.

You need to listen to some more Bobby mcferrin before offering advice to anyone else.

last post:

I'm not complaining about shit. I'm just offering perspective.

You're certainly making it easy to spot the arsehole in this thread.

if you'd bother to fully quote me, you'd see I even owned up to it.

What's kinda weird is that the person who got into your account wasn't locking you out instantly (=register another email+pw), even after deactivating all devices remotely.

Were you able to log in normally?

Because these are the ways to "hack" someone's account:
- someone knows your password
- the password is something easy to guess (but that would still require some trial&error or it's because the person knows you and can guess easier. Is there a maximum number of tries before Sony locks someone out?).
- the person knows your year of birth and has access to your email account
- the person knows enough personal information about you to call up Sony and pretends to be you to have them reset the password

So if you were able to login, the password wasn't reset and it can only be one of the first two cases. Are you the only person who knows the password, like, could your kid have logged into a friend's PS4 and that person remembered the password? (you can't hide it as you put it in with a controller).

I only mention the above because if you knew whose PS4 it was, you could still deactivate that one manually of course.

geordiemp

but I thought your son has a ps4 also, so shouldn't that be 3 ps4s? your story isn't solid.

you paying for something doesn't guarantee anything. and I'm sure if you actually read the full licensing agreement legalese that sony has in place, you'd find that you have few rights than you think.

all I'm reading here is "I bought this, I bought that." No wonder that sony rep disconnected the call. you sound like an asshole.

this is like someone who doesn't keep up with their credit history, and then goes ape shit because they find out five years later that someone fraudulently has a credit card under their name. maybe that's a bad analogy, but do you see what I'm saying?

bottom line: I don't know how this happened, and it sucks that it happened, but getting mad at a support person over the phone for something that they have little control over and acting like an entitled dick because you "bought" it won't get you anywhere.

this is a tangent, because I'm truly sorry that you're going through this. but consider the point of view from the support side of things. in my 15+ years of customer service experience, I always would take a customer's side of the story with a grain of salt because "truth" tends to come out of convenience. and unfortunately, your story is included because we only know what you're telling us. I don't know how your conversation went, but you initially claimed that you spoke for hours with this rep. I can't imagine that phone call having gone very well.

take a breath. step back for a second. maybe waiting six months is a good thing?

Wow. Yes my story is solid, we have 2 Ps4 in my house registered to me, My son has a Ps4 at his grandmas house that has his own PSN+ and his own account. So adding that is just confusing the matter and has nothing to do with my PSN.

I did not mention our VITA either, it just confuses things,

The phone call went wrong as I did not give the Ps4 serial numbers (I can see this now) and hence it was hard for them to verify anything. What they should of done is advised me to change all passwords for email and PSN and submit my serial nos.

That way it is easy for them to see what has happened and not doubt me.

The issue is the Psn online advice advises to record your serial numbers and use them with sony in cases of fraud and PSN hacking. BUT PSN support never said this and were just difficult.

Hedrush

The issue is the Psn online advice advises to record your serial numbers and use them with sony in cases of fraud and PSN hacking. BUT PSN support never said this and were just difficult.

Sony know each and every one of our consoles serial numbers, well those that are connected to the Internet. My PS3 broke in 2009 and to verify it was my console they asked me to verify my serial number over the phone. They also know the consoles Mac address.

Have you changed your password yet?

geordiemp

Sony know each and every one of our consoles serial numbers, well those that are connected to the Internet. My PS3 broke in 2009 and to verify it was my console they asked me to verify my serial number over the phone. They also know the consoles Mac address.

Have you changed your password yet?

Mac address ? is that the primary DNS / default gateway listed when I view my Ps4 connection status ?

flkraven

we can smell our own.

Lol @ 15 years of customer services experience. Do you happen to work for playstation customer support?

They must have logs of every download. To which IP. To which console.

Does you son know your PSN login password by any chance?

GeNoMe

This thread is really making me paranoid. Hope everything works out for you OP, what a shitty situation :/

Lol @ 15 years of customer services experience. Do you happen to work for playstation customer support?

sorry, my ears are burning.

you're right, I should be like "sorry, buddy. you bought all that stuff, so they owe it to you. fuck sony and their draconian customer service!"

15 years of anything will burn you out, and I'm not the type of person to eat shit all day and smile.

there's a reason why I don't do cs anymore. it got me through college, and I peaced the fuck out of that.

ps3ud0

Man Sony UK customer support isn't great - I've had to put the phone down and call again to get someone that actually wants to treat me as a customer. The inability to speak to a manager really irks me.

OP all I can suggest is to call them again and hope for better CS now you've got a far more complete point regards your account/device information and force them to see sense.

Would the police even take this seriously?!?

Good luck

ps3ud0 8)

plainr_

Try calling them again but this when you get a new agent on the line, don't even mention the hacked part and anything about the web page activation. Just tell them to deactivate all your systems. Worked for a friend of mine.

Hedrush

Try calling them again but this when you get a new agent on the line, don't even mention the hacked part and anything about the web page activation. Just tell them to deactivate all your systems. Worked for a friend of mine.

All his previous phone calls would have been logged and noted on his account. I don't think that would work.

Also we've established that all our consoles can be deactivated on the Sony entertainment website under the account info. So he can do that himself then maybe activate each one again individually.

tuna_love

Banned
sorry, my ears are burning.

you're right, I should be like "sorry, buddy. you bought all that stuff, so they owe it to you. fuck sony and their draconian customer service!"

15 years of anything will burn you out, and I'm not the type of person to eat shit all day and smile.

there's a reason why I don't do cs anymore. it got me through college, and I peaced the fuck out of that.
You want geordie to eat shit and smile tho

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Also we've established that all our consoles can be deactivated on the Sony entertainment website under the account info. So he can do that himself then maybe activate each one again individually.
Which can only be done once every 6 months.

Shengar

This thread is really making me paranoid. Hope everything works out for you OP, what a shitty situation :/

Same here. I wonder what makes the hacker able to access his account. Hopefully getting sorted soon, that CS sounds like an ass.

Are you sure?
I am not that familiar with PSN since I only used it for a short time before getting hacked but someone definitely added 899SEK to my Sony Entertainment Network wallet using my stored credit card info and then used it to buy Assassin's Creed Unity Gold Edition (Game Pack).

The back of card number for the online store is a recent addition, added some point in the last few months. This is for UK, maybe other regions do not do that, i dunno.

geordiemp

Same here. I wonder what makes the hacker able to access his account. Hopefully getting sorted soon, that CS sounds like an ass.

I made the mistake of having the same password for my email and PSN.

So probably someone hacked my email password and used that on PSN maybe...I dont really know.

However, once a hacker gets into your PSN, it should not be so easy to disable all your consoles primary status. That should be at the console only.

If you want to disable your consoles, it should be through customer services with validation of serial numbers, a phone back at your registered address, texting a pin to your home phone...there are lots of ways to make this more secure.

This is what we're trying to figure out.

OP can't yiu just boot up your PS4 and goto settings and just activate it as your primary console again.

Wish I could, gives a message saying another PS4 (hackers) is the primary console and you need to disable that first. First thing I tried on both my Ps4......

But I cannot, and PsN support wont help...

And to all the entitled posts, My son and I like to game, its a hobby. As such I dont restrict a budget on gaming, so we have 2 Ps4, 2 360, 2 ps3, vita and a Wii and 2 55 inch TV's on wall with 2 Astro headsets....we buy that many games half of them I have not even started. I am a gamer, I should not have to defend that on GAF..

However, I am definitely regret buying so many digital games this gen, especially when hackers can almost steal the rights to play such games so easily !

mortis316uk

Neo Member
Or Sony could just enable 2 factor - problem solved as no one, even with your password could access your account without a secondary code supplied through the Google authenticator or a text message to your phone.
It's an absolute joke that a company with such a poor history on security hasn't done the most basic of security enforcement in this day and age.

Gradon

I hope you get a happy ending to this situation, OP.
This sounds like my worst nightmare.

On a slightly-related note, I tried that deactivate all button months ago and it only deactivated my PS4 and not any PS3's, PSP's or Vita's.

Top Bottom