• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 17 EASHL (PS4) | DISALLOWED GOAL SCORERS

RS4-

Lol there's a ping menu now. Only took a few years. I appreciate the extra menus and stats...but like usual, they take ages to get through.

Delryk

hope to be on in an hour. PSN downloads are ABYSMAL how is this even possible.

Your ISP or because you're using wireless on ps4? The day I plugged in a cable in my ps4 was the day i got 100 down from psn.. so i kept my cable.. :/ else i have probs hitting 5 down..

I'd like to squeeze ONE game in if that's cool with you guys? I would be on more often later tonight but I'm guessing you guys won't be. If you have room for me for one, shoot me a message on PSN?

RS4-

They were pretty good and also got a lot of breaks and we were pretty shitty that game

Great defense all night as usual Dok, you kept us in all of those games where our offense was not able to do anything

GGs last night. We did well in all of them but thr Quebec one. That one was just...lol.

Anyway, we all did some good team work and pick up on blown coverage. A little early but progress like usual.

Stat!

Some great games last night. Im anxiously waiting/hoping Vis uploads a few highlights cause we had some crazy sick goals last night.

RS4-

Rather shit way to end the night. aside from that, solid work.

Who was that that wanted to take the point on pp? Stat? How do you want to do this? We win the draw on the left circle, LW rotates to you, I take his spot, you drop down?

Stat!

So just picked this game up. Haven't played since NHL 2004 but id love to join up if y'all are playing

unpurposed on ps4

Hey man, the game has changed a ton since 2004. There is a steep learning curve with the skill stick.

We sort of agreed as a group that we aren't going to be taking anyone completely new to the game on as we are a competitive casual team who plays against top teams.

Truthfully, I would recommend trying the game out, maybe playing some drop-ins to get a feel for all of the controls and moves you can pull. It'll be less frustrating than with us since the opposing teams we play will be quite good.

Rather shit way to end the night. aside from that, solid work.

Who was that that wanted to take the point on pp? Stat? How do you want to do this? We win the draw on the left circle, LW rotates to you, I take his spot, you drop down?

I wanted to take the point. From a pure attribute point of view, I have a great shot as a sniper. Its why I wanted Delryk in front of the net. He's way more likely to be more successfully at net battles and deflections than I am who can barely even evade once he gets locked up.

But I also don't mind working the boards either.

Stat, in the future if you wanna make that switch out to the boards on the powerplay I think it only really works if you change places with whatever winger is positioned on the inside on the faceoff. This allows the outside winger to remain available as a pass option for the defense.

Obviously if we are bringing it in from a rush then you and whoever is best for playing in front of the net can organize better. In both of these cases you will need to give very simple and clear instructions when you want to make this switch so the wingers understand where to go until everyone has done this enough to know what's expected of them

Speaking of powerplays I mentioned the other day that we really need to do better taking advantage of these this year. If the puck is cleared we need to move down below the center line and regroup then enter as a team. For entry one of the wing players needw to enter with a lot of speed then driving all the way up the wall and dropping back to the D (preferrably me) to get us started.

Too many times we rush to reenter the offensive zone and enter with not enough numbers or the wrong person enters (me) and pushes the puck up the wall then gets stuck in a position where they cant help as much.

The 2 things id really like to see us try and implement this year to show growth that are doable are:
1- a consistent strategy on the powerplay (outlined above)
2- usage of that weaving cross play on 2 v 2 offensive rushes. Ill record examples of the "cross play" in practice mode this weekend and post it here so you guys can better understand how to do it properly and why its so good

Hey man, the game has changed a ton since 2004. There is a steep learning curve with the skill stick.

We sort of agreed as a group that we aren't going to be taking anyone completely new to the game on as we are a competitive casual team who plays against top teams.

Truthfully, I would recommend trying the game out, maybe playing some drop-ins to get a feel for all of the controls and moves you can pull. It'll be less frustrating than with us since the opposing teams we play will be quite good.

Thanks man! I appreciate the candor. I've been mostly playing Be a Pro and a lot of games against the AI, but still having some issues.

I'd love to get up to speed with the game - what would y'all suggest as the best way of learning the game? Honestly, it's been a little difficult knowing what I have to focus on and Youtube videos seem to leave out the basics.

Again, thanks for your help :)

Thanks man! I appreciate the candor. I've been mostly playing Be a Pro and a lot of games against the AI, but still having some issues.

I'd love to get up to speed with the game - what would y'all suggest as the best way of learning the game? Honestly, it's been a little difficult knowing what I have to focus on and Youtube videos seem to leave out the basics.

Again, thanks for your help :)

First off, make sure you are not playing from one of the default close cameras for BAP/EASHL. Use one of the VS mode cameras. Most of us use Classic or Overhead. Dynamic High works as well but the tilting gets annoying.

As someone relearning the game try to stick with one position. Id recommend one of the wings to start out as the easiest transition. Make sure the Skills Trainer is turned on which should give you ideas for good passing options and defensive positioning. Once you get comfortable with most of the controls and movement try the Drop-In Game mode in EASHL to see how you fare against online competition

OFFENSE
-practice holding the right stick left or right out to either side when you are skating around with the puck near a defender to ensure you are properly protecting it so its not as easy to pokecheck you and take the puck away. This can help draw a lot of penalties too
-try using R1 to saucer pass here and there to be able to manually aim your passes, this is helpful when a passing lane may be blocked but you can bank a pass off the boards or thru a tight window to a teammate
-get used to passing the puck before you get cornered/closed down when you dont have a great shooting option. As a winger you want to look towards the middle first (but dont force passes across the crease every time) then down to the dmen and if all else fails pass it up around behind the net to keep it in the offensive zone. You have to make good quick decisions in EASHL and trust your teammates. Holding onto the puck too long and trying to play hero rarely works
-ultimately a wingers job is to score so try to get good shots off whenever you can. Even if they dont go in you can force rebounds with shots aimed low

DEFENSE
-condition yourself not to try to body check puckhandlers as much unless they are standing still near the boards
-instead rely on R1 to poke check them to bother them or take the puck away. You need to make sure you keep some distance between you and the defender when you do this or you will end up with a lot of tripping penalties. Dont ever use this from behind a puckcarrier either or its a instant tripping penalty
-when you are really close to a moving defender either body check them to give them a slight push or dont press any buttons at all and just attempt to mirror their movements while shading them towards their forehand side. You can get the puck to come free if it happens to hit your skates
-on defense as a winger your job is to get back and try to prevent the offense from passing to the defensemen while also being a nuisance. Its ok to be aggressive and chase puckhandlers down along the boards or to help out in the middle if someone is trying to get a shot off from the high slot

OFFENSE OFF THE PUCK
-make sure you always watching the puck, if your team forces a turnover in the defensive zone start moving up the ice along your wall to give them a long outlet pass option
-if your team gets the puck in the zone constantly readjust your position to try to give whoever has the puck an open lane to pass the puck

First off, make sure you are not playing from one of the default close cameras for BAP/EASHL. Use one of the VS mode cameras. Most of us use Classic or Overhead. Dynamic High works as well but the tilting gets annoying.

As someone relearning the game try to stick with one position. Id recommend one of the wings to start out as the easiest transition. Make sure the Skills Trainer is turned on which should give you ideas for good passing options and defensive positioning. Once you get comfortable with most of the controls and movement try the Drop-In Game mode in EASHL to see how you fare against online competition

OFFENSE
-practice holding the right stick left or right out to either side when you are skating around with the puck near a defender to ensure you are properly protecting it so its not as easy to pokecheck you and take the puck away. This can help draw a lot of penalties too
-try using R1 to saucer pass here and there to be able to manually aim your passes, this is helpful when a passing lane may be blocked but you can bank a pass off the boards or thru a tight window to a teammate
-get used to passing the puck before you get cornered/closed down when you dont have a great shooting option. As a winger you want to look towards the middle first (but dont force passes across the crease every time) then down to the dmen and if all else fails pass it up around behind the net to keep it in the offensive zone. You have to make good quick decisions in EASHL and trust your teammates. Holding onto the puck too long and trying to play hero rarely works
-ultimately a wingers job is to score so try to get good shots off whenever you can. Even if they dont go in you can force rebounds with shots aimed low

DEFENSE
-condition yourself not to try to body check puckhandlers as much unless they are standing still near the boards
-instead rely on R1 to poke check them to bother them or take the puck away. You need to make sure you keep some distance between you and the defender when you do this or you will end up with a lot of tripping penalties. Dont ever use this from behind a puckcarrier either or its a instant tripping penalty
-when you are really close to a moving defender either body check them to give them a slight push or dont press any buttons at all and just attempt to mirror their movements while shading them towards their forehand side. You can get the puck to come free if it happens to hit your skates
-on defense as a winger your job is to get back and try to prevent the offense from passing to the defensemen while also being a nuisance. Its ok to be aggressive and chase puckhandlers down along the boards or to help out in the middle if someone is trying to get a shot off from the high slot

OFFENSE OFF THE PUCK
-make sure you always watching the puck, if your team forces a turnover in the defensive zone start moving up the ice along your wall to give them a long outlet pass option
-if your team gets the puck in the zone constantly readjust your position to try to give whoever has the puck an open lane to pass the puck

This is super useful! Thanks so much, gonna get on this immediately :)

RS4-

Same

edit - fuck that game we lost 1-0, my fault lol. I peeled off when they dumped in with two and I let the ai go alone in the boards

GGs! Lol that OT winner.

Stat!

Same

edit - fuck that game we lost 1-0, my fault lol. I peeled off when they dumped in with two and I let the ai go alone in the boards

GGs! Lol that OT winner.

Dude, you were a rock last night. You played unreal. Not your fault we lost 1-0 when we didn't score anyways.

Top Bottom